HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

U16 & U15 provincial teams .

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bruce

PostSubject: U16 & U15 provincial teams .   Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 am

Let's hear some potential rosters .

Last edited by coach b on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: U16 & U15 provincial teams .   Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Ok, so assume you are a young player trying to decide where to play basketball this spring/summer and which team to tryout for.....

You can tryout for a club team or for Basketball BC zone team. So what do they offer.....?

If you go to the website for most club teams, they list detailed training schedules (days of the week, hours etc), gym locations and tournaments schedules (as many at 12 tournaments throughout Canada and the US) from now through the entire spring and summer.

On the other hand, the Basketball BC website is vague on exactly what kind and amount of training players will receive if they make one of the zone teams or the provincial team. The training and competition schedule is general, with the big prize for zone teams being the BC Provincial Championship Tournament and, of course, the National Championship for the provincial teams. Those are big prizes, and it is an honour to represent your province, but what is the training and who are the coaches? I understand it is difficult to put all of this together because the coaches and gyms change, but the information is insufficient to make a decision that effectively eliminates a player from playing for a club team.

Clubs have tryouts too and they cannot allow players to come in-and-out of the program pushing other kids farther down the bench (nor can Basketball BC do this). There are some excellent club teams out there, especially at the U15 and U14 level, so offering top-rate competition is not an advantage for BBC. At this age group, kids (and parents) have had limited contact with BBC while they have often been playing for years with their club teams and have developed longstanding friendships with other players and coaches. Kids and parents are loyal to these people.

Basketball BC has some advantages too. There is the prestige of representing your province and BBC often has excellent coaching and quality competition. Despite this, if I were advising a young player on what to do, I would want to know exactly what is being offered before making any kind of commitment. They are being asked to leave their teammates, friends and coaches....it is not surprising they often choose to stay with the club team.

If Basketball BC wants to attract the best kids it cannot rely on prestige alone. It must offer an equal or better experience. But how can it do that when kids are chosen from all over the province and simply cannot live close to the training facility all summer long. It might work at the zone level, but can it really work at the provincial level? I don’t think so.

So why not deal with the reality that there are excellent clubs and training opportunities outside BBC and make it work in their favour?

What about focussing BBC resources on, say, a two-week all-day intensive training camp for the top players selected from all clubs. This could be done just prior to the National Championships to allow time for team training. They could provide resources for zones where clubs do not exist and offer a provincial championship focussed on club teams and certain zones. This would allow clubs to offer all-spring/summer training and competition at a very high level, while enabling the top-players to come together for an intensive camp focussing on winning the National Championships.

Seems like a winning combination to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: U16 & U15 provincial teams .   Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Well said Mark, there is so many options for the kids today as you said there is bbc, drive, 3d, and also some schools have club teams over the summer. The best way to represent the skill and talent level in bc is to do what you said and pull the actual best players from the bbc, from drive , and from school club teams so that bc can have a good a showing at the national level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancity55555

PostSubject: Re: U16 & U15 provincial teams .   Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

Ok, so assume you are a young player trying to decide where to play basketball this spring/summer and which team to tryout for.....

You can tryout for a club team or for Basketball BC zone team. So what do they offer.....?

If you go to the website for most club teams, they list detailed training schedules (days of the week, hours etc), gym locations and tournaments schedules (as many at 12 tournaments throughout Canada and the US) from now through the entire spring and summer.

On the other hand, the Basketball BC website is vague on exactly what kind and amount of training players will receive if they make one of the zone teams or the provincial team. The training and competition schedule is general, with the big prize for zone teams being the BC Provincial Championship Tournament and, of course, the National Championship for the provincial teams. Those are big prizes, and it is an honour to represent your province, but what is the training and who are the coaches? I understand it is difficult to put all of this together because the coaches and gyms change, but the information is insufficient to make a decision that effectively eliminates a player from playing for a club team.

Clubs have tryouts too and they cannot allow players to come in-and-out of the program pushing other kids farther down the bench (nor can Basketball BC do this). There are some excellent club teams out there, especially at the U15 and U14 level, so offering top-rate competition is not an advantage for BBC. At this age group, kids (and parents) have had limited contact with BBC while they have often been playing for years with their club teams and have developed longstanding friendships with other players and coaches. Kids and parents are loyal to these people.

Basketball BC has some advantages too. There is the prestige of representing your province and BBC often has excellent coaching and quality competition. Despite this, if I were advising a young player on what to do, I would want to know exactly what is being offered before making any kind of commitment. They are being asked to leave their teammates, friends and coaches....it is not surprising they often choose to stay with the club team.

If Basketball BC wants to attract the best kids it cannot rely on prestige alone. It must offer an equal or better experience. But how can it do that when kids are chosen from all over the province and simply cannot live close to the training facility all summer long. It might work at the zone level, but can it really work at the provincial level? I don’t think so.

So why not deal with the reality that there are excellent clubs and training opportunities outside BBC and make it work in their favour?

What about focussing BBC resources on, say, a two-week all-day intensive training camp for the top players selected from all clubs. This could be done just prior to the National Championships to allow time for team training. They could provide resources for zones where clubs do not exist and offer a provincial championship focussed on club teams and certain zones. This would allow clubs to offer all-spring/summer training and competition at a very high level, while enabling the top-players to come together for an intensive camp focussing on winning the National Championships.

Seems like a winning combination to me.

That actually seems like a pretty good idea. Also what you said about BBC is true. You go on their website and they do seem a little unorganized. I emailed some clubs once and I got reples in under an hour, I tries to email someone from BBC and I didnt hear from them for 3 weeks. And then I didn't get the correct info. So, they give you a wierd type of feeling, where as clubs try to make their best effor to help you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: U16 & U15 provincial teams .   Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm

If Only... All sides could get together and come to a logical consensus as Mark neatly outline! It really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to put some sort of working agreement tgether! This really must done for the kids! Well done Mark!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U16 & U15 provincial teams .   Today at 12:44 am

Back to top Go down

U16 & U15 provincial teams .
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1