HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:06 pm

I know this has been discussed at length here several times....but I am hearing that the NBIAA exec is working on a new classification proposal...3 tiers...similar to old one but based on population numbers and not the old top 30% is AAA , next 30% is AA and last 40% is A....but based on population i.e. 300 students or less A...300-700 is AA ...and over 700 is AAA or something like that?????
Anybdy know if there is any truth to any of this ? is there a proposal? Is it different? Two months from AGM...just wonderin if anyone has any details?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:28 pm

I have heard this as well. I have also heard from an AD that there are actually 4 different proposals that have been put forth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Thu May 12, 2011 9:38 am

The motions for thr agm on June 1st are out. There is only one concerning realignment and it is the one stated above for the three divisions...up to 300, 300-700, etc. If someone tries to put a motion forward from the floor for something different they will need 75% of the members to vote in favor of it. Looks like a final 12 next year at Harbour Station!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Fri May 13, 2011 2:07 pm

While I do not agree personally with the proposal, its is clearly the simplest and most direct way for the NBIAA to get more teams involved in playing more sports and more levels.

I will say this is probably the best way to increase registration in sports for the NBIAA and to re-create jv leagues that were lost, while getting some pretty good PR about adding more champions, etc . . .

I am disappointed in that it ignores the travel/cost issues involved in interlocking leagues that was a big reason for the initial move away in the first place. In fact with the smallest percentage of schools now in the new proposed AA these average sized schools will have the most interlocking and travel to deal with.

I would also have liked a proposal that in some way deals with competition or quality of sport development, but I understand that is not the role or issue of the NBIAA or principals.

I do feel more schools registering in more sports is positive though and I'm sure this will pass for that reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smallbal

PostSubject: RE 2011-12 CLASSIFICATION CHANGES   Sun May 29, 2011 4:38 pm

As a thought about the travel difficulties in at least one rural area here in Ontario, with several 100's of kilometers distance between teams of like sizes, we did a weekend tournament concept, where 5 teams travelled to a central area then an eastern and then western, and played 4 league games over the Friday/Saturday, thus lessening the travel costs and the need for busses, (although some did use a bus). The schools shared the costs of officials, and from the monies saved from numerous bus trips on league play, paid a fair share of the hotel fees for long distance travelling teams and still came out ahead.

Worked out everyone played each other twice over 3 weekends, instead of over 4 months.

Luckily no egos got in the way, and it prospered for 10 years until everyone decided to play everyone in the area regardless of classification.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm

For 20 years or so, no one seemed to complain about the three tier system. It was a so called 'travel issue' and tiers had to be combined. What was the vote - 41-38 ? That was good enough to change the system, now it needs 75% to change it again?? Really?

It costs money for sports teams to travel, no doubt - but there are many ways to cut costs. You do not have to play the maximun number of games. You can also try and play more tournaments, so you can get more bang for your buck. Need more? - call in your local alum for a 'controlled' scrimmage..etc. We are trying to develop players, right? Do you really need to schedule games against teams you can beat by 70-100 points? Does that really benefit anyone?

I highly doubt travel was an issue. I can give you many examples - Dalhousie travelled to Grand Manan...not in our league, not a rival etc. No real reason to play, is there? It could not have been a cheap trip...it cost JMA approx $1300 to take a bus to GM for a tournament that they played 3 games....is that worth it? I dunno....I guess different schools have different budgets and for different sports. But again, not in our league or a rival...but maybe they just wanted to play basketball.

A three tier system closes the gap on competition. There are many teams in 'no mans land'. Take St.Stephen - a good team that is better than AA schools, but not good enough to play against elite AAA competition. Didn't they get beat by FHS by 60-70 points in the playoffs the last couple of years?? Am I the only one who misses the real AA with St.Stephen, Carleton North, Tantramar(who got us in this mess in the first place) etc?

Someone mentioned that they saw a big difference between AA and AAA at the All Star games. Well, of course - most of AA is really A. There are always exceptions...but you understand.

I still think you can tweak the three tier system, so that most teams could play in their competition group. For example, I doubt many in Class A would have a problem with teams like Fundy, Nackawic, JMA staying in Class A - because, really - that is where they belong. I know all systems have flaws; however, three tiers - is the most logical.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Mon May 30, 2011 9:31 am

I liked two divisions. Having said that, if they go back to three, I will be fine with whatever division we play in, but my preference would be AA.

The three years I took teams to GM, we took cars. Bus was way too expensive. Now we have a beautiful new team bus, so will be busing this year, if we get invited.

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

For 20 years or so, no one seemed to complain about the three tier system. It was a so called 'travel issue' and tiers had to be combined. What was the vote - 41-38 ? That was good enough to change the system, now it needs 75% to change it again?? Really?

It costs money for sports teams to travel, no doubt - but there are many ways to cut costs. You do not have to play the maximun number of games. You can also try and play more tournaments, so you can get more bang for your buck. Need more? - call in your local alum for a 'controlled' scrimmage..etc. We are trying to develop players, right? Do you really need to schedule games against teams you can beat by 70-100 points? Does that really benefit anyone?

I highly doubt travel was an issue. I can give you many examples - Dalhousie travelled to Grand Manan...not in our league, not a rival etc. No real reason to play, is there? It could not have been a cheap trip...it cost JMA approx $1300 to take a bus to GM for a tournament that they played 3 games....is that worth it? I dunno....I guess different schools have different budgets and for different sports. But again, not in our league or a rival...but maybe they just wanted to play basketball.

A three tier system closes the gap on competition. There are many teams in 'no mans land'. Take St.Stephen - a good team that is better than AA schools, but not good enough to play against elite AAA competition. Didn't they get beat by FHS by 60-70 points in the playoffs the last couple of years?? Am I the only one who misses the real AA with St.Stephen, Carleton North, Tantramar(who got us in this mess in the first place) etc?

Someone mentioned that they saw a big difference between AA and AAA at the All Star games. Well, of course - most of AA is really A. There are always exceptions...but you understand.

I still think you can tweak the three tier system, so that most teams could play in their competition group. For example, I doubt many in Class A would have a problem with teams like Fundy, Nackawic, JMA staying in Class A - because, really - that is where they belong. I know all systems have flaws; however, three tiers - is the most logical.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Mon May 30, 2011 12:09 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with everything you've said here. Though a lot just makes common sense.

A couple of thoughts:

THere are ways to cut costs for travel provided you have options. My personal soap box lately has been with the imbalance in the way school teams are regulated between school to school. Some schools student councils help fund sports vs some do not whatever the teams costs they pay. Some schools allow parents to transport multiple athletes, some do with restrcitions, some do not at all requiring buses. I could go on about gym access, etc but that is my personal gripe not the point. The point is that when you have interlocking leagues with most required games being two plus hours away. The costs sky rocket when you need to travel in the winter unless every team in the league agrees to a schedule to cut costs. GM routinely has to deal with a similar issue due to their isolation but most people in their league (all south) are reasonable and do their best to manage the schedule. THis isn't routinely true of larger schools.

I also miss old AA games between Woodstock, Tantramar, CNHS, St. Stephen that meant something. UNforunately once you add Sugarloaf and Rothesay to that list, most of AA isn't competitive with these teams.

I'm betting a lot of A schools would have no problem letting larger schools (JMA, Fundy, etc) drop to A provided they could determine the sports and when it happened. The JV mess that happened to sports specifically happened because of these schools with Middle School teams 7-8, JV 9-10, and Varsity 11-12. The smaller schools did not awnt to have their 78 and some 9's playing against teams of exclusively grade 9-10's.

Three tiers most logical???? Definitely easiest . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: NBIAA    Mon May 30, 2011 2:43 pm

When will the decision be made on the format for the upcoming season? is it the AGM june 1st?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes   Today at 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down

2011-2012 NBIAA Classification Changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1