HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Drive u17 elite team

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
coach fabio

PostSubject: Drive u17 elite team   Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:13 pm

here is the 2011 drive u17 elite team roster!

Anton Bailey F Burnaby, BC
Manroop Clair G Surrey, BC
Kenny George G/F Burnaby, BC
Lucas Goosen G Delta, BC
Sajen Gill F Port Alberni, BC
Abubakar A Khan F Seattle, WA
Daniel Kim G Portland, OR
Andrew Mavety G Vancouver, BC
Alex Mihajilović G Delta, BC
Kenneth Monture F Terrace, BC
Quentin Nguyen G/F Vancouver, BC
Guy Ostrovsky G Vancouver, BC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 pm

2 guys from the States on the team? Are those their birth cities listed or where they actually reside now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shotfake123

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Birth cities
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopnharm

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:54 am

Yeah Khan goes to VC and Kim goes to Tupper
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Basketball BC vs Drive U17   Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 am

What do you think; a smackdown between Basketball BC U17 and Drive U17, who’s going to win? Both look equally impressive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:01 am

Lefon Jang wrote:
What do you think; a smackdown between Basketball BC U17 and Drive U17, who’s going to win? Both look equally impressive!

It is not necessary....or it should not be necessary to have a smackdown.

Clubs should feed their players in to BBC for Nationals, while BBC needs to accommodate club training and tournament schedules. An increasing number of players are trained at clubs yet still want to play for BBC. But the competing schedules (not to mention academic commitments for kids) make it hard to play both at the zone level and impossible at the provincial level as it stands.

I think the zone coaches are doing as much as they can to balance the training needs of both teams, but the system is going to crack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:24 pm

How many of the Drive players would have made the BBC team? The mix of the BBC team looks pretty good and they seem to have gone with a quick, athletic mix as well as a lot of players who have been teammates before and team chemistry is really important as we all know. BBC had their tryout dates set a long time ago so I wonder why Drive held theirs at the same time. Also, as student athletes, if the players haven't learned to manage their academic responsibilities by now I doubt they ever will. The Drive team looks solid too and it's great all of these kids get a chance to play even though not all can wear their Provinces colours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Is Basketball BC any different than a club team? They charge just as much as any club teams. The only differences are they have the right to bring a team to the national championship and they carry the name BC. If they truly wanted to represent BC and attract all the best players, make it free. Otherwise, they’re really just a club team. That begs the question, what gives them the right to bring their team to the national? Why not have a playoff at the end of July among all the clubs, Basketball BC included, and the winner goes to the national championship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Basketball BC has endured so many years in which the current coaches of some clubs have played/participated. In what way it is fair to ask BBC to accommodate to clubs schedules? What if tomorrow another 10 more clubs sprouts and Does it mean BBC have to yield to them also??
Back to top Go down
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Lefon Jang wrote:
Is Basketball BC any different than a club team? They charge just as much as any club teams. The only differences are they have the right to bring a team to the national championship and they carry the name BC. If they truly wanted to represent BC and attract all the best players, make it free. Otherwise, they’re really just a club team. That begs the question, what gives them the right to bring their team to the national? Why not have a playoff at the end of July among all the clubs, Basketball BC included, and the winner goes to the national championship.

I think BBC should make their tryouts free, but the cost of being on a Provincial team is great for what you get. A lot of the cost is subsidized. A few years ago the cost was around a thousand dollars, which covered all the tournaments and travel to them (Las Vegas, Gonzaga, Nationals, Seattle, etc.) and the equipment you got. I know Gonzaga Team Camp for a player to go for a club team usually costs about $350.00-$400.00 alone... The cost of actually being on the Provincial team if you make it is great.

I don't agree that they should have to compete for a spot at Nationals. They're the team that represents the Province, they were put in place to do just that.

All this being said, there are only 12 spots on each Provincial team, so having clubs running and expanding throughout the rest of the Province is a great thing for basketball within in BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Anyone know what the summer programs cost including the tryouts, travel, etc. Would be curious to find out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:26 am

Tryout $250
Individual Fee: $2300 (don't think that include Las Vegas)
Representing BC: Priceless
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:37 am

Lefon Jang wrote:
Tryout $250
Individual Fee: $2300 (don't think that include Las Vegas)
Representing BC: Priceless

A few years ago on their website it said somewhere around 1250-1300, I know that for sure. But like I said that was a few years ago.

EDIT: From what I can see on their site, it's 1400 for U17's, 1700 for U16's, 1100-1250 for U15's, and 1050 for U14's. Plus additional costs for food, however the fine print does get ya with an "additional costs for transportation, accommodation, and food will be the responsibility of the individual participants." I don't know how much the "additional costs" are, though.

I think all the clubs are great, maybe start one in my area soon, but I also think what Basketball BC does is great, albeit it could be run slightly differently with a little less expensive (maybe free at the U14 and U15 levels?) tryout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 am

I got the $2300 from their website as well under the invitees list. It said for those that made the team, the fee is $2300 for the program. Of course the list is not there anymore. The interest for club teams is on the rise. The trend seems to be moving toward schools having their own club teams. The money is there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:22 am

The price is $1400 for players on the u17 team. They must have messed up on the website or something.

And BBC absolutely does not and should not have to play other club teams for a spot at nationals. BBC has been around for half a century, how long have all the other club programs been around for? .......enough said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:55 am

It is not a national club championship, so it makes no sense for clubs to compete to represent BC. It would be like NBA teams or D1 colleges competing to play in the World Championships. We should adopt the model used by USA Basketball.

As a governing body, BBC should provide the infrastructure such as coaching training, youth development, competition organization, player selection and other infrastructure to ensure high level competition among clubs and other privately run teams. BBC should stop competing with clubs and should redefine their mandate to prepare and train the provincial teams (for a limited, intensive time period - in a similar way to USA Basketball). The BBC Provincial teams should be chosen from club teams or zone teams where clubs do not exist.

BBC is a government funded non-profit and should be supporting an environment of competition for other groups, rather than trying to be a provider of basketball services.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 am

'The BBC Provincial teams should be chosen from club teams or zone teams where clubs do not exist.'

I don't understand what you mean by this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Trey wrote:
'The BBC Provincial teams should be chosen from club teams or zone teams where clubs do not exist.'

I don't understand what you mean by this.

In the U14 and U15 age brackets zone teams compete at jamborees and players are chosen based on those competitions and a brief selection camp. At the U16 and U17 level there are no zone teams. I think it makes sense to have club teams compete in BBC organized events (say 2 or 3 tournaments throughout the summer) where the objective is to identify top players. They could then do a two-day camp of those players followed by an intensive all-day training camp (10 days?) prior to the Nationals. I have suggested it might be a mix of club and zone teams at the younger levels because, I assume, there are regions that do not have club teams. Having clubs compete might also broaden the base of dues paying BBC members since all club players would need to become members of BBC to compete.

If the selection and training periods were limited, I think clubs would get on board. It would allow them to continue their training and elite teams schedules while working together to provide BBC with the top players for the Nationals.

From a player's perspective, they would get training all summer with their clubs, and if they are good enough, they would get superb high-intensity training (like a National team camp) leading to the Nationals. I am sure there are aspects of this that may not work, or other ideas that could make it better. Ideas anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I am not too convinced that the system is broken as it is right now but you raise some excellent points. As mentioned before, for many reasons BBC may not always get the best players due to other commitments, injury, etc. Other Provinces face the same challenges and it seems to me that many of the clubs don't want their kids playing for another organization no matter what the terms. It does seem however that BBC are getting most of the stronger players, how many of the U17 players would be bumped if the Drive kids tried out and would there really be a big difference in overall team talent especially when you consider team chemistry and team needs based on position. Perhaps those who go to Drive can ask them to allow their kids to try out for BBC by avoiding scheduling conflicts in the try outs. Either way, this a healthy discussion and like most things a little open mindedness and compromise by all could end up working out best for the kids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't think the problem is serious, yet, at the U17 level. BBC has missed a few players (maybe more) - Emerson and Manroop stand out. But the real rise of clubs in BC seems to have occurred recently. Drive has been around for about 6 years now and players they have trained are just coming in to the system, with the largest at the U15 level now.

The Drive U15 Elite team is the best in the province - hands down. They have 8 or more players who would be locks for the BBC team, but I doubt they will play. I cannot speak for individual players because there will be a lot of pressure as decision time comes, but if they stay with Drive they will be the best team in the province and they will have an outstanding training and competition schedule. Their roster is stacked with players they have trained since grade school (in grade 9 now), many of whom played junior or senior this year and made a big impact there.

Brenden Bailey G Burnaby
Elijah Campbell-Axon G Vancouver
Jadon Cohee G Langley
Alex Coote G Vancouver
Ryan Cowley F Delta
Tristan Etienne F Abbotsford
Corey Hauck G Abbotsford
Jalen Jana G Surrey
William Latu F Vancouver
Mindy Minhas G/F Vancouver

I am not trying to make this in to a Drive versus BBC competition. I do not think that it healthy, but it is a reality that many top kids are playing there (and at other clubs). These kids would love to play for their province at the Nationals, but I doubt they will leave Drive and they cannot do both in the current structure.

My experience is coloured by my son’s experience playing on a U15 zone team and a Drive team since grade 3. He can barely manage to do both, with 6 or 7 practices a week, plus academic commitments (fortunately it is only for 6 weeks and he wants to do it). The Zone coach (and Drive) have been exceptionally understanding of the player’s schedules (he is not the only club player), but I can see that playing on a provincial team would be impossible to do at the same time as Drive since many tournaments overlap and practice times conflict.

If the clubs and BBC do not cooperate now, then we will have a system like Ontario’s where the best players play on the clubs all the way through U17. Check out the rosters for CIA Bounce or Grassroots Canada, where they have rosters full of high D1 prospects. I bet none plays for Ontario. Ontario can afford that because of their depth of talent, but I do not think BC can. That is where we are headed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Well said. I hope that the decision makers can get together and start a dialogue about where we are heading in BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Mark, I dont want to pick holes in your suggestions. However, your attempts to aggrandize Drive players while belittling players outside Drive is not fair. If you have little knowledge of all the players at U15 level, you can best refrain from quoting any names. FYI, there are so many talents available outside "your" drive club. Please stop spamming for Drive and confine to the essense of your suggestions. Hope I am not the only one seeing the innuendos in your posts.
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Sorry, I am not trying to aggrandize Drive players. There are lots of good players out there at other clubs (belittle?, hmm). I have seen many of them, but do not know all of them. I am speaking from my experience and it is my opinion. Not sure what you mean about innuendos - I have been pretty plain spoken. I rarely talk about Drive, but refer to clubs so as not to upset people who do not like that word. This is a Drive topic, so it seems natural to do so.

What are your suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naismith

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

IThe Drive U15 Elite team is the best in the province - hands down.

BBC hasn't even selected it's U15 team yet. How can you possibly argue that Drive's U15 team is the best in the province? You have nothing to compare it to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

Sorry, I am not trying to aggrandize Drive players. There are lots of good players out there at other clubs (belittle?, hmm). I have seen many of them, but do not know all of them. I am speaking from my experience and it is my opinion. Not sure what you mean about innuendos - I have been pretty plain spoken. I rarely talk about Drive, but refer to clubs so as not to upset people who do not like that word. This is a Drive topic, so it seems natural to do so.

What are your suggestions?

The basic tenet of Basketball BC is equality and no player is above team. BBC's policy is to choose a group of players that would play as a "team," and achieve the objective - winning the Nationals. Chemistry does not come by default in 2 weeks camp and pressurising the ball, bumping cutters, communicating on screens, seeing the ball on the weak side, or pursuing the ball when it was loose or off the rim takes time. Minimum of 30 games required to form a cohesive unit. Players commit to clubs find it very difficult to make themselves available for so many games which span across atleast 3 months of summer. You always see BBC teams move the ball from side to side and give the defense the opportunity to break down and make a mistake. Do you see them at club level- may be not at regular level. They just struck the comfort level at club for eg when they don't produces a kick-out to an open shooter after they made a penetration, rarely they are pulled up. If they are disciplined, problems are waiting to happen amongst players, between the player and coach.

In nutshell, the current system is fine and its all the mindset of players to make the adjustment. Those who are willing to adjust, coming out and playing for the BBC and others are not-in the name of better coaching, too many tournaments etc. It is all excuses to stay within your current comforts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive u17 elite team   Today at 8:54 pm

Back to top Go down

Drive u17 elite team
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next