HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bnboldtimer



Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 pm

The title says it all, what 12 guys to you think will make each team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
salmonking



Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Wed May 04, 2011 10:24 am

It all depends on who went out for tryouts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 736
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Wed May 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Well here are your options:


Matt Harrington Andrew Petrie Ryan Sleaver Zac Chambers
Duan Fournier-Ashe Stephen Ethelson Jesse Hazzell Chris Murray
Evan Roberts Matt Bainbridge Ryan Goodine Jordan Rutter
Brandon Petitpas Shaik Bundy Ryan Foster Costa Kolyvas
Brad Toogood Erik Nissen Mike Armstrong Nicholas Gionet
Kyle Rogers Elliot Quinn Mark Graham Chris Brine
Francis Kamba Nathan d’Entremont Gabe Walton Matt Veno
Caleb Morgan Zac Thorne Armando Kazadi Bryn Davies
Kyle Arsenault Jacob Hambrook Andrew McGillicudy Isaac Gray
Weston Durling Alex Carty Jake Livingston Ben MacPherson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swish99



Posts : 3
Join date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Sat May 07, 2011 4:19 pm

My predictions for U17 would be as follows:
Andrew Petrie
Ryan Sleaver
Zac chambers
Stephen Ethelston
Chris murray
Brandon Petitpas
Ryan Foster
Kyle Arsenault
Jacob Hambrook
Andrew Mcgillicudy
Isaac Gray
Weston Durling

The list is in no specific order. Should be a decent team but lacks height. Eric Nissen would be a good 13th man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Sun May 08, 2011 11:57 am

swish99 wrote:
My predictions for U17 would be as follows:
Andrew Petrie
Ryan Sleaver
Zac chambers
Stephen Ethelston
Chris murray
Brandon Petitpas
Ryan Foster
Kyle Arsenault
Jacob Hambrook
Andrew Mcgillicudy
Isaac Gray
Weston Durling

The list is in no specific order. Should be a decent team but lacks height. Eric Nissen would be a good 13th man

As you said, your list doesn't include enough bigs to play inside other than Gray and maybe Durling and those guys are not very tall. At minimum you need someone to defend the bigger players from the other provinces. I think under aged players like Nissen, Livingston, McPherson, Carty and Armstrong are going to be looked at. I think players like Petrie, Sleaver, Petitpas and Hambrook are going to have to show they can do something exceptionally well to not be replaced by one of the under aged bigs.

You also forget Duan Fournier-Ash. I think he's ahead of a lot of the players on your list.

Here is my prediction:
Chamber, Murray, Fournier-Ash
Foster, Ethelston, McGillicuddy, Durling, Arsenault
Nissen, Livingston, Gray

The last spot is tough. Do the coaches go with a specialist? A shooter...a defender....rebounder??? Not sure. Lots of good choices. Tough choices!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
student



Posts : 137
Join date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Mon May 09, 2011 5:48 am

petrie is as capable a pg as any in the prov
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 am

student wrote:
petrie is as capable a pg as any in the prov

Yes he is. He can score with the best of them. His defense isn't quit as good as Chambers, Harrington's and Fournier-Ash however and I think the U17 coaches are going to place a high priority on PG's who can defend full court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
CoachDJR



Posts : 736
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 am

Hardfouls wrote:
student wrote:
petrie is as capable a pg as any in the prov

Yes he is. He can score with the best of them. His defense isn't quit as good as Chambers, Harrington's and Fournier-Ash however and I think the U17 coaches are going to place a high priority on PG's who can defend full court.

THis is probably the most key concept that gets overlooked when we talk about who should play on these teams. Obviously coaches want the best talent and athletes they can have, but a lot comes down to how a coach/team/program plans on overcoming its big opponents. We are not Ont or BC so we are not going to overwhelm people with size or finishers. Basically against the biggest, best teams in the country we are not going to get easy or uncontested baskets in the half court.

As a result coaches have to decide what underdog strategy they are going to employ:

Option A - Lock Down defensively, maximize possession. Be phsyical and contain the oppoenent and battle to a tough tight ball game late where you hope to make shots or freethrows in key situations. (Much luck Butler in the NCAA's) Who do you take: Get the fittest, toughest, more hardnosed kids you can with a few big play makers.

Option B - Speed. Pressure and scramble defensively offensively push the ball to get early offensive shots. Have a 7 seconds or less attitude on both sides of the ball and try to trade 3's for 2's in transition. Try to win enough spurts to succeed (VCU in the NCAA's this year) Take speed, and depth of speed and shooting. You need to fastest, deepest, most interchangable group of kids who can shoot you can find.

Option C - A combination of A and B - Look to play enough defense to get some stops and push the ball on offense for early offense and breakdowns (D'Antoni System?/ Layola Marymount back in day) Find a skilled line-up that will be making plays and a bench of role players and shooters to fill in time.

This decision about what sort of underdog tact you are going to take will make a huge difference in terms of what your personel decisions will be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swish99



Posts : 3
Join date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Any word on who made the team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 10, 2011 6:27 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Hardfouls wrote:
student wrote:
petrie is as capable a pg as any in the prov

Yes he is. He can score with the best of them. His defense isn't quit as good as Chambers, Harrington's and Fournier-Ash however and I think the U17 coaches are going to place a high priority on PG's who can defend full court.

THis is probably the most key concept that gets overlooked when we talk about who should play on these teams. Obviously coaches want the best talent and athletes they can have, but a lot comes down to how a coach/team/program plans on overcoming its big opponents. We are not Ont or BC so we are not going to overwhelm people with size or finishers. Basically against the biggest, best teams in the country we are not going to get easy or uncontested baskets in the half court.

As a result coaches have to decide what underdog strategy they are going to employ:

Option A - Lock Down defensively, maximize possession. Be phsyical and contain the oppoenent and battle to a tough tight ball game late where you hope to make shots or freethrows in key situations. (Much luck Butler in the NCAA's) Who do you take: Get the fittest, toughest, more hardnosed kids you can with a few big play makers.

Option B - Speed. Pressure and scramble defensively offensively push the ball to get early offensive shots. Have a 7 seconds or less attitude on both sides of the ball and try to trade 3's for 2's in transition. Try to win enough spurts to succeed (VCU in the NCAA's this year) Take speed, and depth of speed and shooting. You need to fastest, deepest, most interchangable group of kids who can shoot you can find.

Option C - A combination of A and B - Look to play enough defense to get some stops and push the ball on offense for early offense and breakdowns (D'Antoni System?/ Layola Marymount back in day) Find a skilled line-up that will be making plays and a bench of role players and shooters to fill in time.

This decision about what sort of underdog tact you are going to take will make a huge difference in terms of what your personel decisions will be.

Are you looking to win or to keep it close? Are you trying to develop the players with the most potential, or will you take someone with less talent who is a better defender? What is the goal you are trying to achieve? Once this is established....then you can move forward.

Loyola Marymount and defense do not belong in the same paragraph.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 736
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Mon May 16, 2011 6:38 pm

U17 Boys
Kyle Arsenault
Zach Chambers
Weston Durling
Stephen Ethelston
Ryan Foster
Duan Fournier
Matt Harrington
Jacon Livingston
Andrew McGillicudy
Chris Murray
Erik Nissen
Brandon Petitpas


U16 Boys
Mike Armstrong
Nathan d'Entremont
Nicholas Gionet
Ryan Goodine
Mark Graham
Francis Kamba
Costa Kolyvas
Caleb Morgan
Elliott Quinn
Kyle Rogers
Evan Roberts
Zach Thorne


Back to top Go down
View user profile
fan5



Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 am

When you have an undefeated JV Provincial championship team and it isn't represented
on the provincial U16 team all legitimacy is lost. There were 2 players left off the roster that should have
been starters. They have shown they are big game players, can match up with anyone and earned their
spots. Too bad all that hardwork and dedication was missed. Perhaps we need to revisit the process and make
sure that those making the decisions know all the players not just those from last year or from their area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12



Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-01-20

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 10:22 am

Fan,

I would say that you're right. We should go back to the days when the coach of the provincial team had the only say. This would definitely be more democratic than having "provincially" represented selection committee.

Let's bring back the days when the summer team coaches pick their entire teams for the next season...can't wait to go back to the glory days.

While we're at it...let's add a couple of impartial parents to the selection committee too.

Just to clarify, in case it wasn't clear...this entire post is just lathered in sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense



Posts : 62
Join date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am

fan5 wrote:
When you have an undefeated JV Provincial championship team and it isn't represented
on the provincial U16 team all legitimacy is lost. There were 2 players left off the roster that should have
been starters. They have shown they are big game players, can match up with anyone and earned their
spots. Too bad all that hardwork and dedication was missed. Perhaps we need to revisit the process and make
sure that those making the decisions know all the players not just those from last year or from their area.

I do not even know where to begin. Let me guess, you are obviously from Fredericton - Let's call a spade a spade here. First of all, I know it must be difficult when you are trying to vicariously live your life through your children and hold down a job at the same time. So why don't the FHS teams just have their own provincial teams if they are made up of all the best players in the province anyway? Why show up at all for BNB tryouts? Obviously, your players are the only ones who show hard work and dedication? What a foolish statement...but I guess you have seen all of these players play so you would know.

One thing you need to remember is that not all of the best age class players in the province play JV. A lot of them have to play varsity in schools without 2000 students...that is the only way their varsity teams can survive. As was stated in the other post, perhaps we should go back to the day when coaches picked their team and had private workouts for the players in their area....and yes, I am talking about Fredericton....you mean you didn't know that happened? What? It sounds like you are a seasoned veteran with provincial teams...you must have been directly involved before in the selection process yourself so obviously you know exactly what I am talking about. However, perhaps, BNB could hire a team of 20-30 scouts to scout the players all year...would that make you feel better? Perhaps then, the FHS JV team could run up the score a little more on teams and see if you can get those ppg, apg, rpg, and BS up there for the resume....and "big game" players? What constiutes a "big game"? Please clarify. Is that a championship game you win by 40? Is that a big game? They are in grade 9 or 10 for the love of God!

I can understand a parent being upset for their child....but getting on a blog and ranting about it? Have some self respect.

Let me state for the record that I have no affiliation with BNB, but I do hope they are reprimanded for such blatant honesty.


Last edited by Common Sense on Tue May 17, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForLoveOfGame



Posts : 7
Join date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Darn   Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 am

Common Sense beat me to it. What a ridiculous post by Fan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12



Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-01-20

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Oh...I believe that the JV Provincial Championship team was represented and that player opted not to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks



Posts : 47
Join date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Wow!!!
Not only was Fan5 post , totally and completely ridiculous , petty and narcissistic. It gives me two areas of concern.
1) There are people (players and/or parents ) in Fredericton that actually think like that ?
2) Someone from Fredericton is actually complaining about provincial team coaches picking players from only one area?
" just those from last year or from their area."
Has anyone ever seen the roster of a provincial team in the last 20 years coached by a coach from the Fredericton area.

I repeat ! WOW!!!


Back to top Go down
View user profile
student



Posts : 137
Join date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 6:37 pm

yeah we always look after our own. doesn't everyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf



Posts : 191
Join date : 2009-11-17

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Well folks , nobody enjoys a good "Kat Bashing" more than I do , but in this case we may be a bit off base.
Yes Fan 5's post is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here. And to be in shock that there would be "parents like that" in fredericton ???? Well , I will bet dollars to donuts , that you will find parents ' like that" in every gym , arena or soccer pitch in the country. But take solace in the fact that they are the exception , not the rule.
To paint all capital city fans , parents. players with the same brush is not fair.
Yes in past years , provincial teams in NB have had a lot of fredericton representation but I think if anyone was to reveiw the rosters , it would be difficult to argue that the vast majority of them deserved to be there , no matter what their home town was.
Also coaches favoring players from their own area when picking provincial teams ? Well believe it or not, I actually counted one summer , many years ago.....yeah , yeah , i know what your your thinking , but I was really booooored! ... and in that summer it turned out that 45% of players selected to each team were from the same area , as where their coaches resided. ie Moncton coaches had 45% moncton area players on their teams...SJ coaches had SJ players...and so on...may be different today with the selection committee process in place now. However , in all my years with all our provincial teams , they always had the best players on them. Sure there may have been a few players picked ahead of other players , who it could have been argued were better , but for the greatest majority of teams and the greatest majority of players, over the years , coaches / selection committees, got it right. In these teams , the top 6 or 7 players are easy to pick .Obvious choices. the bottom 5 players picked could have been any 5 of 20 kids and the team would not have been any worse. But people always complain , it's part of the process , always will be. parents go to these try-outs and see only one kid all day.....while coaches have to watch 50 or 60.....blah , blah , blah...and old rant , you know the story.
The thing we should really be concerned about is the fact that less kids are trying out . That kids are opting not to play , once selected , or opting not to move up an age class to play at a higher level , so they can play with their friends at a lower level.
These are things we should be concerned with.?
Have our provincial teams become more social ,than developmental ?.... are kids not seeing being a PT players as important , a worthwhile goal , something valuable to their development as a basketball player? These questions need discussion .....

Just my thoughts , misguided though they may be.....




Back to top Go down
View user profile
student



Posts : 137
Join date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 pm

why don't they tryout? why don't they stick?
1 cost is going up. not only initial fee but overall costs to travel.
2 same old tourneys and not that many of them. guys want to play and excitement is tougher to create in today's kids

remedy this. get as many club teams going in bball centers as possible. let them play off. take the top performers from a playoff tourney for a month long blitz of tourneys as a prov team

i should be in charge of ideas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac



Posts : 250
Join date : 2009-11-24
Location : Moncton, NB

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Wed May 18, 2011 5:26 am

If it was the fall and they weren't showing up, I would be concerned. There is so much competing for their time, during the summer. First sunshine(but that may just be a rumour), vacations with family and other sports. Our numbers are up at JMA for kids playing. Matter of fact we will be having 2 girls teams this year. As for picking players, the thing I love is it is one of the few things you could throw into a computer, let it do its calculating and it would still get someone wrong.

obcnamtaf wrote:
Well folks , nobody enjoys a good "Kat Bashing" more than I do , but in this case we may be a bit off base.
Yes Fan 5's post is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here. And to be in shock that there would be "parents like that" in fredericton ???? Well , I will bet dollars to donuts , that you will find parents ' like that" in every gym , arena or soccer pitch in the country. But take solace in the fact that they are the exception , not the rule.
To paint all capital city fans , parents. players with the same brush is not fair.
Yes in past years , provincial teams in NB have had a lot of fredericton representation but I think if anyone was to reveiw the rosters , it would be difficult to argue that the vast majority of them deserved to be there , no matter what their home town was.
Also coaches favoring players from their own area when picking provincial teams ? Well believe it or not, I actually counted one summer , many years ago.....yeah , yeah , i know what your your thinking , but I was really booooored! ... and in that summer it turned out that 45% of players selected to each team were from the same area , as where their coaches resided. ie Moncton coaches had 45% moncton area players on their teams...SJ coaches had SJ players...and so on...may be different today with the selection committee process in place now. However , in all my years with all our provincial teams , they always had the best players on them. Sure there may have been a few players picked ahead of other players , who it could have been argued were better , but for the greatest majority of teams and the greatest majority of players, over the years , coaches / selection committees, got it right. In these teams , the top 6 or 7 players are easy to pick .Obvious choices. the bottom 5 players picked could have been any 5 of 20 kids and the team would not have been any worse. But people always complain , it's part of the process , always will be. parents go to these try-outs and see only one kid all day.....while coaches have to watch 50 or 60.....blah , blah , blah...and old rant , you know the story.
The thing we should really be concerned about is the fact that less kids are trying out . That kids are opting not to play , once selected , or opting not to move up an age class to play at a higher level , so they can play with their friends at a lower level.
These are things we should be concerned with.?
Have our provincial teams become more social ,than developmental ?.... are kids not seeing being a PT players as important , a worthwhile goal , something valuable to their development as a basketball player? These questions need discussion .....

Just my thoughts , misguided though they may be.....




Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 am

fan5 wrote:
When you have an undefeated JV Provincial championship team and it isn't represented
on the provincial U16 team all legitimacy is lost. There were 2 players left off the roster that should have
been starters. They have shown they are big game players, can match up with anyone and earned their
spots. Too bad all that hardwork and dedication was missed. Perhaps we need to revisit the process and make
sure that those making the decisions know all the players not just those from last year or from their area.

I think FHS JV is well represented on BNB team this year. Here is the breakdown...

DAN LUTON - U15
BEN MACPHERSON - Not selected for U17 or U16
WILL HOWATT - U15
PAT KENDALL - U15 Dev
CALEB MAZURKIEWICZ - Did not tryout
CHRIS ARISZ - U15
VAL NELSON - Did not tryout
JACOB JURCINA - Did not tryout
PAUL GERGES - U15
ALEX CARTY - U16 but declined
JEONG WOO PARK - U15 dev
SAWYER EDDY - U15 dev
BRYN DAVIES - Not selected for U17 or U16

So it would appear the concern is over two players...Davies and McPherson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Common Sense



Posts : 62
Join date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Wed May 18, 2011 11:26 am

Hardfouls wrote:
fan5 wrote:
When you have an undefeated JV Provincial championship team and it isn't represented
on the provincial U16 team all legitimacy is lost. There were 2 players left off the roster that should have
been starters. They have shown they are big game players, can match up with anyone and earned their
spots. Too bad all that hardwork and dedication was missed. Perhaps we need to revisit the process and make
sure that those making the decisions know all the players not just those from last year or from their area.

I think FHS JV is well represented on BNB team this year. Here is the breakdown...

DAN LUTON - U15
BEN MACPHERSON - Not selected for U17 or U16
WILL HOWATT - U15
PAT KENDALL - U15 Dev
CALEB MAZURKIEWICZ - Did not tryout
CHRIS ARISZ - U15
VAL NELSON - Did not tryout
JACOB JURCINA - Did not tryout
PAUL GERGES - U15
ALEX CARTY - U16 but declined
JEONG WOO PARK - U15 dev
SAWYER EDDY - U15 dev
BRYN DAVIES - Not selected for U17 or U16

So it would appear the concern is over two players...Davies and McPherson.

How dare them not all make a team! Damn you BNB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?    Today at 4:38 am

Back to top Go down
 
U17/U16 Guys prediction anyone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Hey how you guys doing?
» Well guys idk if im allowed to ask this or not but here goes :X
» Madden 12's Prediction is Close
» Rate these guys
» Well guys this is it

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: New Brunswick-
Jump to: