HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Tue May 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Any idea on who the favourites are to make the team? How many players will be selected for the next round of tryouts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Wed May 18, 2011 1:50 am

The first round of tryouts haven't concluded yet, well I guess they have if you included making the regional team... The U15 Provincial Zone Championships (which is now what the jamboree used to be) is taking place this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
northshoreballer

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 23, 2011 11:51 am

Basketball BC has given out invite letters to the top players in the U15 jamboree.
I'm not sure if they will post up who those players are, so we'll just have to wait and see who makes the team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 23, 2011 2:20 pm

How many players were invited? I heard there were 18 teams at the jamboree. What are the next steps for team selection?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
northshoreballer

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 23, 2011 4:14 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
How many players were invited? I heard there were 18 teams at the jamboree. What are the next steps for team selection?

Yea there were 18 teams and the next step for team selection is the tryouts which r on Friday and Saturday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AHoopsSargent

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Fri May 27, 2011 9:43 pm

18 teams at about 10 guys apiece, then they invited 40ish kids back to the Selection Camp this weekend, which runs Friday and Saturday. On Saturday they let the guys know who made it or not and the players who made it to the two Provincial Teams return for the Sunday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.flagrantfouls.com/
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 pm

How did it go? Any Drive players attend? Anyone standout from the rest?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 30, 2011 8:22 pm

does anyone know who made the teams? did they select the top 24 players from the group or did they already select who is playing on what team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AHoopsSargent

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 30, 2011 9:00 pm

I know Joseph Davis (6'5" F, Westsyde Secondary) made the U15 Red team and Buzz Truss (6'4" F, Kelowna Secondary) made the U15 Blue team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.flagrantfouls.com/
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 30, 2011 10:56 pm

I know that all the Drive Elite players (except Jalen Jana) attended the Northwest AAU Championships this weekend with Drive, so none of them are playing for the Basketball BC 15U team. That includes all of the starters Tristan Etienne, Jadon Cohee, Mindy Minhas, Elijah Campbell-Axson and Corey Hauck. Etienne and Cohee just returned from the National Cadet team tryouts where they were BC's only grade 9 invitees. Etienne was invited back to the final 18 and Cohee had an excellent camp. The Cadet team is a 16U team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Wow! What a disappointment that they weren't given the opportunity to represent BC this year. Good for Jalen for trying to represent BC. Did Jalen make the team? Who from the Drive team would've been locks to make the team besides Etienne and Cohee?

Last edited by basketballfan1 on Mon May 30, 2011 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't know if he made the team, but I heard that Basketball BC went after him very hard so I expect he did. In my opinion, he will be the best player on Basketball BC's team at his position. I think he would get more playing time with the Basketball BC team, so that was probably a consideration. He is a very good player with a promising future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Players and parents make decisions based on where they think they will get the best training, exposure and competition. All but Jana decided to play for Drive this summer, which is a disappointing and unfortunate loss for the provincial team. I find it dispiriting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Mon May 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Oh Jana didn't start on the Drive team? Who started in his place?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Tue May 31, 2011 12:18 am

Jalen was on the Premier team last year, but improved and made the Elite team this year. He wasn't getting as much playing time since he was playing on the Elite team behind Jadon Cohee and Corey Hauck. Drive's Premier team is very strong too and some of the Premier players are outstanding. I expect David Yap will move up to take Jalen's position.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Tue May 31, 2011 12:32 am

I have seen the Drive Elite team play many times, including this weekend against very tough US competition where they went 3-1 (losing a close one to a Portland Club). I attended the 15U Zone championships and saw many of the players and games.

There were some good players, but I think only two players could make Drive's Elite team, not including Jalen of course. Drive has an especially talented team this year in 15U. So I would say at least 6 players were locks regardless of the coach.

A coach's style and preferences have an impact on which players make a team. I have no idea what kind of style the BBC coach wants to play or the kind of players he prefers. But that aside I would say there are 6 or 7 Drive players who would be certain picks (including Jalen) because their talent level is so high. Most Drive players were invited to tryout, even kids who did not play on the zone teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 am

Amazing starting 5 for Drive. I gather the BC u15 team has yet to be announced but does anybody think with the players available to them they could compete with Drive?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Tue May 31, 2011 1:02 am

TightD wrote:
Amazing starting 5 for Drive. I gather the BC u15 team has yet to be announced but does anybody think with the players available to them they could compete with Drive?

I heard the team is announced with lot of selection that will make you to scratch your head.
Back to top Go down
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Tue May 31, 2011 5:09 pm

Does anyone have a list of who made the teams? Which selections made you shake your head? How do they compare to last years U15 squad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
northshoreballer

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
Does anyone have a list of who made the teams? Which selections made you shake your head? How do they compare to last years U15 squad?

U15 blue team:
Denver Sparks-Guest
Matt Rud
Hayden Lejeune
Buzz Truss
Noma Obaseki
Jalen Jana
Adam Karmali
Mauro Patterson
Grant Gailbraith
Nick (forgot his last name)
Gurjit Pooni
Brayden Belleville

Thats this years team that represent BC this summer at the national chamionships
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 am

Wow...Some drive backups and quite a few unfamiliar names. They could suprise me but this lineup seems extremely weak compared to whats out there. Basketball BC needs to work something out with club teams and soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 am

northshoreballer wrote:
basketballfan1 wrote:

U15 blue team:
Denver Sparks-Guest
Matt Rud
Hayden Lejeune
Buzz Truss
Noma Obaseki
Jalen Jana
Adam Karmali
Mauro Patterson
Grant Gailbraith
Gurjit Pooni
Brayden Belleville

Thats this years team that represent BC this summer at the national chamionships

Those are most of the players I expected. I thought Noma was one of the better players and he has improved from his time on Drive's Premier team, especially handles. Denver and Gurjit are solid too. Weaknesses seem to be size and outside shooting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:09 am

Thanks for posting the list.

Is someone able to provide the schools the players go to and maybe their positions? Who would play the point and shooting guards?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
northshoreballer wrote:
basketballfan1 wrote:

U15 blue team:
Denver Sparks-Guest
Matt Rud
Hayden Lejeune
Buzz Truss
Noma Obaseki
Jalen Jana
Adam Karmali
Mauro Patterson
Grant Gailbraith
Gurjit Pooni
Brayden Belleville

Those are most of the players I expected. I thought Noma was one of the better players and he has improved from his time on Drive's Premier team, especially handles. Denver and Gurjit are solid too. Weaknesses seem to be size and outside shooting.

This list has at least one mistake. Matt Rud (SMUS) is not on this team. I think the poster might be referring to Matt Neufeld, a Victoria player who took part in the BC tryouts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McKay

PostSubject: 2011 U15 Provincial Teams   Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:50 pm

U15 BOYS BLUE PROVINCIAL TEAM
NAME SCHOOL
Jalen Jana
Nicholas Tancon
Grant Galbraith
Noma Obaseki
Adam Karmali
Denver Sparks-Guest
Gurjit Pooni
Matt Neufeld
Buzz Truss
Mauro Patterson
Brayden Belleville
Hayden Lejeune

Head: Mike Morgan
Assistant: Casey Archibald

U15 BOYS RED PROVINCIAL TEAM
NAME SCHOOL
Ismail Aboulahi Reynolds
Justin Bennett D.P. Todd
Martin Bogajev Burnaby South
Luke Collombin Claremont Secondary
Joe Davis Westsyde
Braedan Fitzpatrick Sentinel
Manvir Gahir North Delta
Nate Haglund Elphinstone
Arnold Jr. Macalipay McRoberts
Djordje Obradovic Burnaby South
Jaycee Pineda Burnaby South
TJ Turenne Elphinstone

Head: Brian Meier
Assistant: Alex VanSamang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team   Today at 10:57 am

Back to top Go down

Second Round Selections for U15 Provincial Team
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next