HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What is Basketball New Brunswick?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

PostSubject: What is Basketball New Brunswick?   Thu May 19, 2011 9:18 am

Seems to me that this time of year, BNB gets themselves in hot water time and time again with all kinds of issues with respect to their summer teams. Now could it be that part of the reason is they have no idea what they are? That is, are they an organization to serve everyone in NB for basketball? Are they an elite program? Are they both? Why don't they come out and declare themselves with some sort of a platform? Seems to me, much of the yearly mess can be avoided if everyone out there in NB truly understood what BNB is all about. Perhaps BNB could avoid many of their issues by defaulting to their platform. You know, they could have a:"if you don't like it, join the board and change it....or shut up!" approach.

Here's what I think BNB is. They are a not-for-profit organization for the promotion and development of basketball in the province of New Brunswick. Their services are offered in French and English (sort of). Now when I speak of development, I not only speak of the grassroots, but I also speak of the elite level (which are our summer teams, bantam elite, Center for Performance......right?). I suppose the large question is, can BNB wear two hats? That is, one that is geared toward promotion, development and support of the minor associations and the other being identification, development and support of the elite level?

Can't wait to see what kind of response will happen from this topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What is Basketball New Brunswick?   Thu May 19, 2011 11:08 am

great question. wonderful question.the answer is definitely a bit of both. but just a reminder, as much as anybody tries to be all things there will always be someone not satisfied. even me sometimes. but if bnb has a purpose and sticks to it well that's what they should do. maybe other groups could start to work on other needs. may create more opportunities
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What is Basketball New Brunswick?   Fri May 20, 2011 6:27 am

I actually think increased collaboration and more input from stakeholders will help allow BNB to continue to do all the jobs they are trying to do. I think that by trying to combine the minor system development and elite programs you get more better coaching, players and pr.

Let the minor systems identify their best talent. Offer sessions to develop those players early in the year. Create depth charts of players in areas by age. Let provincials coaches or CP coaches work with minor system coaches to do this. Have your elite development be done in regionalized sessions with jamborees or camps for the best on the depth chart a few times a year. Have these jamborees used to cross reference depth charts.

Now these regoinalized groups allow more coaches to be exposed to the type of basketball and techniques BNB wants kids learning. More kids get seen by provincial coaches, BNB has clearer ideas on who is out there and everyone has the skills they need to run BNB's elite programs become more prevalent.

You can then use a weekend (maybe age class provincials) or a nearby weekend to that to have one final elite id camp weekend. Drills/sessions/fitness testing/competition to pick your summer teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Basketball New Brunswick?   Today at 9:02 am

Back to top Go down
What is Basketball New Brunswick?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1