HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Etiene/Cohee

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TightD

PostSubject: Etiene/Cohee   Tue May 24, 2011 2:47 am

I heard Tristan Etiene and Jadon Cohee were invited to national cadet tryouts. Congrats to them and does anybody have any information on how they did?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Tue May 24, 2011 12:22 pm

There were four BC players in attendance: Ruttenberg, Madewan (grade 10s) and the two younger players from Drive Academy, Jadon Cohee and Trista Etienne (grade 9s).

Here is a review of the camp. http://www.northpolehoops.com/index.php?action=article&pageid=2d6cc4b2d139a53512fb8cbb3086ae2e
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

There were four BC players in attendance: Ruttenberg, Madewan (grade 10s) and the two younger players from Drive Academy, Jadon Cohee and Trista Etienne (grade 9s).

Here is a review of the camp. http://www.northpolehoops.com/index.php?action=article&pageid=2d6cc4b2d139a53512fb8cbb3086ae2e

Tristen, made it to the second rounds of cuts, Jadon was released but had an excellent camp/showing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
senthil

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Wed May 25, 2011 4:02 pm

TightD wrote:
I heard Tristan Etiene and Jadon Cohee were invited to national cadet tryouts. Congrats to them and does anybody have any information on how they did?

http://www.northpolehoops.com/National_Cadet_Tryout_NPH_Player_Evaluations

Jadon Cohee | 2014 | 6'2 | PG | Walnut Grove | Langley, BC

Cohee is a rail thin lead guard but a crafty playmaker. He showed the ability to finish at the basket consistently while adjusting himself in mid-air for good scoring position. Cohee's body control was quite impressive both on the fast break [finishing a nice reverse lay in], as well as in traffic, where he would manouvre himself around defenders. Throughout what we witnessed of cohee, he made a good case to be considered for the next tryout in June.

Tristan Etienne | 2014 | 6'8 | F | W.J Mouat Secondary | Abbotsford, BC

Etienne is a very lanky player that understands how to attack the basket in the post using drop steps and well-executed hook shots. He is not about explosion, but moreso finesse, picking his spots and making the corrrect plays. He seems to be very open to suggestions when coaches run drills making him a willing learner, leaching on to his surroundings. He must add bulk to his frame, but considering his age, it isn't a concern at this point. If he develops a more polished perimeter game, or even takes his jumper to the next level, watch out!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 am

Thanks for the input. Please add more info on the tryouts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Dpes anybody know who made the U16 Cadet Team? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Did Etiene make the team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Cadet Team   Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:54 pm

The team is down to 21. Tristan has made it so far. Here is today's press release with a roster http://tinyurl.com/5tjjuyn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:53 pm

down to 21 players????????? Isn't the tourney in Cancun in a week or so? Are they planning on taking everybody to Mexico?

Please disregard, i just read the article.

Is this team put together for the whole summer or will they just compete in the one tourney in Cancun and then go their own ways for the summer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

The team is down to 21. Tristan has made it so far. Here is today's press release with a roster http://tinyurl.com/5tjjuyn

Great opportunity for these kids.

Have to say, though, five of the six team staff members from Ontario and 15 of 21 players from Ontario . . . I know Ontario is the dominant province in hoops but it seems a tad lopsided. I think BC could have had a couple more kids in the final 21.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Islandview wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Great opportunity for these kids.

Have to say, though, five of the six team staff members from Ontario and 15 of 21 players from Ontario . . . I know Ontario is the dominant province in hoops but it seems a tad lopsided. I think BC could have had a couple more kids in the final 21.

Correction, 16 of final 21 from Ontario!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: National Team Training vs Basketball BC Training   Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:27 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
down to 21 players????????? Isn't the tourney in Cancun in a week or so? Are they planning on taking everybody to Mexico?

Please disregard, i just read the article.

Is this team put together for the whole summer or will they just compete in the one tourney in Cancun and then go their own ways for the summer?

The Cadet team is training to represent Canada at the 2011 FIBA Americas U16 Championship for Men in Cancun, Mexico, from June 21–25. In order to select the team they had a 4-day tryout camp from May 20-23. The training/tryout on now is a 5-day intensive camp. The team will then take 12 players to Mexico to participate in practices, scrimmages and games from June 16 until the end of the tournament on the 25th.

This is an important international tournament. They tryout for 9 days then have 5-days of team training before the tournament. That is 14 days, which includes tryouts, before the tournament itself.

Once the tournament is over the team disperses and they go back to their club teams for the remainder of the summer.

I highlight this in such detail because by contrast Basketball BC takes up nearly the entire summer of selections/training for a tournament (the U15 Nationals) that is not substantially different in its time commitment. Basketball BC insists that players only play for them, which is why most of the best players are not playing for the province's U15 team. If Canada Basketball can train its players for an important international tournament and allow the players to play with their club teams, then surely Basketball BC can do the same.

Next year, Basketball BC should adopt a cooperative model similar to what takes place in Ontario and allow clubs to fulfill their important role of training players just as clubs do in ever major basketball playing country in the world (including the US). BBC's training schedule should not be longer than the National team's schedule.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Is anybody else other than me sick of this dude Mark Scott?? We get it you hate BBC and Drive are the gods of basketball in this province and can do no wrong. Too bad you dont know the real truth about the situation... can ya hear me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Can ya hear me?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:19 am

outlawpete wrote:
Is anybody else other than me sick of this dude Mark Scott?? We get it you hate BBC and Drive are the gods of basketball in this province and can do no wrong. Too bad you dont know the real truth about the situation... can ya hear me

Part of the reason for this site is to stimulate ideas and share real information. You may not agree with what I have to say, but that's too bad. You may want everyone to hold hands and agree about everything, but I am not interested in that. I want to see us share ideas to make our sport better.

For your part, I see you are the guy making accusations about how Manroop gets to school. Pretty important stuff and great contributions.

If you check my posts you will see that far from hating on BBC, I think they play a very important role in the sport. But when I see they are not serving the community or the players I will stand up and give my opinion in a respectful way. If you do not like it then let's hear your articulate responses about what could be done better. I have done that directly to BBC via email, here and in person.

And please tell us the real truth about the situation and at the same time let us know who you are. Opinions are always better when backed up by a real name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shake&Bake

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:14 am

outlawpete wrote:

I think you're on your own on that one, Mark makes some good points. It's not that he's hating on BBC or supporting Drive, he's just stating his view on how basketball can be improved in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mel James

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:36 am

outlawpete - you are not on your own and you have finally given me a reason to create a profile. I couldn't agree with you more. I've been reading this forum since last fall and don't even bother to read Mark Scott's posts anymore. It's the same thing everytime. "blah blah blah.......BBC needs to change .......blah blah blah.....Drive is great......blah blah blah....." What's unfortunate is that he has some good things to say but the message is lost in the delivery. It's like a nagging wife. At some point you stop listening and just say "yes dear."

My nephew is in grade 8 and has played basketball with several club organizations in the Lower Mainland, including Drive. This summer he is playing with the BBC U14 team. Having experienced BBC and club teams it was an easy decision to go with BBC. The coaching to date has been outstanding including the zone team. The BBC coaches push the kids to excel and don't allow laziness. And most importantly they stress team play. On the other hand I found club organizations allow the players to devolve into street ball and hero ball. It is ugly basketball.

Also, my nephew's parents are getting more for their buck from BBC. The club teams cost more upfront and then they get you with additional expenses later. Drive is by far the most expensive. Transportation, althlete gear, etc. It all adds up and in the end it costs more than BBC.

BBC has been around a long time and have a proven track record (Rob Sacre, Kelly Olynik, Tyler Kepkay, and many others). They must be doing something right. The club organizations have a long way to go though Drive will get there before anyone else.
[left][left]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:22 am

outlawpete wrote:

Looking at your post history we can see you've contributed nothing to this forum other than making petty statements about other coaches and players.

Like it or not Mark makes good points on how we can improve basketball in BC. That's the whole point right?

Only positives can come out of cooperation between clubs and basketball bc. It's time for a change, I for one am getting tired of getting our butts kicked by Ontario and Quebec. It's time for BC to follow Ontario's lead and embrace clubs rather than compete against them.

And I really doubt you know the real truth about the situation...can ya hear me
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:46 pm

While I disagreed with MarkScott so many times in the past, I gotta appreciate his attempts to make the BC team stronger. After seeing this year's team selection, I feel sad to see his efforts gone unheeded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Etiene/Cohee   Today at 8:55 pm

Back to top Go down

Etiene/Cohee
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1