HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Back to Three Divisions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Heard yesterday that DRHS was turned down and will have to stay AA in basketball next year. Do not know the reason given or any other details
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Now that divisions are being decided based on school populations and not the 30% AAA - 30% AA - 40% A of yrs gone by , the issue now seems to be where do they get the numbers....they seem to be using school enrollment numbers submitted by schools in Sept ( and as we all know those numbers are inflated because they are used to determine school budgets)
The other thing that is happening is that in NB school enrollments are declining 2% per year , but in northern new brunswick they are declining 5% per year.
Dalhousie appealed its placement in AA because of the large difference between the enrollment numbers used to determine divisions (304) and their actual enrollments (255)
However if all schools used their actual enrollments would change as well , but not to the extent of DRHS....which is why they applied for the reclassification.
However , if memory serves , other schools in the conference , that would be affected by a change have to agree or at least have a say . I am doubting the folks in Stanley , Central NB academy , Blackville want to make the trk to Dalhousie , so I can't see them being to supportive of this change.
Also it would leave Sugarloaf as the lone AA School in the North ( for basketball ) and folks in eastern conference would have to travel north for just one game....
I am not saying these are the reasons the appeal was denied , I am just speculating that they may be... not sure what the solution is.....in every division you'll have small schools playing bigger ones...in AAA you'll have JMH at 725 vs FHS at 1931 (almost 3 times the size) AA DRHS at 320 vs WHS at 720(twice their size) and A Campobello at 45 vs Minto at 270 (6 times their size)
I would be interesting to see , if all schools used their actual numbers (post Oct 1st numbers) if the divisions would change? If they used the old 30% - 30% - 40% formula ...WHS would be AAA ...petticodiac,nackawic and minto would be AA...
just sayin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:40 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:
Now that divisions are being decided based on school populations and not the 30% AAA - 30% AA - 40% A of yrs gone by , the issue now seems to be where do they get the numbers....they seem to be using school enrollment numbers submitted by schools in Sept ( and as we all know those numbers are inflated because they are used to determine school budgets)
The other thing that is happening is that in NB school enrollments are declining 2% per year , but in northern new brunswick they are declining 5% per year.
Dalhousie appealed its placement in AA because of the large difference between the enrollment numbers used to determine divisions (304) and their actual enrollments (255)
However if all schools used their actual enrollments would change as well , but not to the extent of DRHS....which is why they applied for the reclassification.
However , if memory serves , other schools in the conference , that would be affected by a change have to agree or at least have a say . I am doubting the folks in Stanley , Central NB academy , Blackville want to make the trk to Dalhousie , so I can't see them being to supportive of this change.
Also it would leave Sugarloaf as the lone AA School in the North ( for basketball ) and folks in eastern conference would have to travel north for just one game....
I am not saying these are the reasons the appeal was denied , I am just speculating that they may be... not sure what the solution is.....in every division you'll have small schools playing bigger ones...in AAA you'll have JMH at 725 vs FHS at 1931 (almost 3 times the size) AA DRHS at 320 vs WHS at 720(twice their size) and A Campobello at 45 vs Minto at 270 (6 times their size)
I would be interesting to see , if all schools used their actual numbers (post Oct 1st numbers) if the divisions would change? If they used the old 30% - 30% - 40% formula ...WHS would be AAA ...petticodiac,nackawic and minto would be AA...
just sayin

Yet no one had a problem with Campobello 45 vs. Bathurst 747 playing one another for a banner....it is about time people got back to their senses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 pm

My problem with basing it on strictly numbers is when you have schools like Woodstock girls who went to the final in AAA last year playing schools like dalhousie.Another instance is RNS the defending champs in AA who are a private school. Know some say they do not recruit but if they do not then why do they give sport scholarships??? Just makes an unfair advantage right from the start. Let woodstock go AAA if they want and make schools like RNS move up !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Well GM...I think a lot of people had a problem with it , which is why we are back to 3 tiers,....but that example was an extenuating circumstance and doesn't really apply to the debate here.
AA Fan , some good points....and the WHS girls have applied to stay in AAA, I am told .....as the DRHS boys did two years ago and Grand Manan did a few years back...
The issue , DRHS has ,is not with the 3 tier system , but with the numbers they are using to determine where schools are classified...if 299 is the cut off population for A and AA , and their actual population is 255 as they claim , then shouldn't they be in A ??
I am not arguing a point here , I am simply asking ....if they are gonna use school population to classify , where do they get the numbers and if there is such a discrepency between the numbers used and the actual population numbers...shouldn't that be addressed .... for ALL schools ??
As for RNS , I was under the understanding the only sport they recruited in was Hockey , and they no longer play in the NBIAA for that. It would be interesting to know for sure if they are giving sport scholarships for other sports ? I am guessing the NBIAA would have an issue with that if it were true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 am

Just to add in some updates. Rothesay High School will be playing everything AA in basketball. RNS girls have been allowed to move up to AA girls.

I still have not heard about the WHS girls!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
f4xi

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Just to add in some updates. Rothesay High School will be playing everything AA in basketball. RNS girls have been allowed to move up to AA girls.

I still have not heard about the WHS girls!

Woodstock girls will be playing AAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Maripac30 wrote:
Rumour out of Dalhousie is that the Soccer and Volleyball teams are going to remain AA as is makes more sense for them travel/league wise but that both basketball teams will be applying to go A
heard the same rumour , but also heard that the DRHS request to go A for basketballhas been denied and they will be AA in all sports!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back to Three Divisions   Today at 5:10 am

Back to top Go down

Back to Three Divisions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2