HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Should BBC adopt model Team Ontario has?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Should BBC adopt model Team Ontario has?   Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Operating the Provincial Teams more like National Teams operate? That is, allowing players to play on their respective teams, evaluating them while they're on those teams, then having an invite only or open tryout later in the summer as a training camp. Whittling the players away until you have a team over a period of a week or two, then having a team that practises and plays together for a month or less before Nationals?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Should BBC adopt model Team Ontario has?   Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 pm

okanaganbball wrote:
Operating the Provincial Teams more like National Teams operate? That is, allowing players to play on their respective teams, evaluating them while they're on those teams, then having an invite only or open tryout later in the summer as a training camp. Whittling the players away until you have a team over a period of a week or two, then having a team that practises and plays together for a month or less before Nationals?

Based on what I have seen, but with some reservations, that would be the best outcome for the players, the teams and the sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Tired of criticizing kids for not playing BBC   Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:06 pm

The reason the best kids play for Ontario Basketball (with the exception of the kids who played in the Nike Global Challenge) is because Ontario Basketball works cooperatively with clubs so that players can play on their AAU teams AND play for the Province. 

I know the situation of the clubs in Ontario because I spent half an hour on the phone talking to Tony McIntyre the founder and head of CIA Bounce about exactly this subject. He told me that Basketball Ontario approached him to work it out - and they did that so that Bounce players could play their full AAU schedule. Many Bounce players (as well as other clubs) played for Ontario AND played in the US nearly every weekend. Ontario made accommodations for the clubs and the players. The results speak for themselves.

I also know that if BBC accepted the Ontario model then players such as Tristan Etienne and Jadon Cohee (and other DRIVE players) would have been thrilled to play for BC this summer. The kids wanted to play. The parents wanted them to play. Of course players want to represent the province but BBC cannot expect to monopolize the whole summer to train its team with no modification of their schedule for players’ other obligations.  

It does not matter that BBC thinks they have the best program. Many of the best players think otherwise as evidenced by NOT playing for BBC (or even trying out). Times have changed. Clubs are here to stay and you can see the spectacular results in Ontario. Expecting kids to quit their clubs for the whole summer is old thinking, against players’ best interests (as they deem) and simply unreasonable in today’s game. 

It could not be any clearer. If Basketball BC wants the best players on the teams then they MUST work with the clubs. That does not mean simply posting a schedule of practices and tryouts months in advance. It means working together in good faith to find a schedule that works for the players and their year-round teams. The time to start working together is NOW.

None of this means that the players on the various BBC teams this summer were not excellent players. None of this means the coaches are not dedicated or superb at their profession. They gave it all they had and I am pleased they did. It just means the paradigm has shifted and the faster BBC realizes this the sooner the best kids will play and we can stop talking about this tedious subject. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pistol44

PostSubject: one big problem   Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 pm

I have been reading about this on this forum for months and I think there is one major problem that you are not taking into account. This seems continuously to be about Drive kids not playing for BBC not really "club" players as this doesn't seem to be a problem for example with 3D. THe problem with the idea of training with clubs and a short selection process then off to nationals (which I think is a fine idea in theory) is that BBC is selecting a PROVINCIAL team. this includes kids from all over not just richmond delta surrey. there are not these big clubs all over the province like the AAU set up in ontario. the provincial team allows the best players in all of BC to be included and play together. IF this idea were to go through a player like Braxton, or Goodwin would be sitting at home for the late spring early summer not given the training time to compete like the club kids in the lower mainland. and we have some great players coming from around the province - Like Kelly Olynyk. until the club system is embraced in all parts of the province this is not going to maximize our talent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Should BBC adopt model Team Ontario has?   Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:55 pm

pistol44 wrote:
I have been reading about this on this forum for months and I think there is one major problem that you are not taking into account. This seems continuously to be about Drive kids not playing for BBC not really "club" players as this doesn't seem to be a problem for example with 3D. THe problem with the idea of training with clubs and a short selection process then off to nationals (which I think is a fine idea in theory) is that BBC is selecting a PROVINCIAL team. this includes kids from all over not just richmond delta surrey. there are not these big clubs all over the province like the AAU set up in ontario. the provincial team allows the best players in all of BC to be included and play together. IF this idea were to go through a player like Braxton, or Goodwin would be sitting at home for the late spring early summer not given the training time to compete like the club kids in the lower mainland. and we have some great players coming from around the province - Like Kelly Olynyk. until the club system is embraced in all parts of the province this is not going to maximize our talent.

Ontario is selecting a PROVINCIAL team too.... the short training period did NOTHING to prevent them from destroying every single team at the Nationals because (among other things) they had their best players. BBC will say the provincial team trained longer than just with the Bounce players (ie not just 15 days during the week). That may be true, but the fact is that they cooperated and allowed the club players to play while training for a shorter period.

If the players can travel to YVR from all over the province to play for BBC all summer then they can do that to play for a YVR based club. If they do not want to play for a club (really?) then BBC could still try to compete as a club (as they are doing in YVR) and run a non-provincial team program separate from the provincial team. Anyway, not sure I agree all the regions here have weak clubs and that Ontario's regional clubs are so strong.

There are lots of excuses to exclude these kids. How about some solutions?

The reason you think it may be about Drive (that refrain is becoming tiresome) is that currently they have more players who deserve to represent the province and are being excluded. According to McIntyre at Bounce, Ontario resisted cooperating for a long time using the same excuses you have used...(and that BBC uses) in the end we need cooperation to deal with the reality that the best players are not playing for BBC.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should BBC adopt model Team Ontario has?   Today at 1:05 am

Back to top Go down

Should BBC adopt model Team Ontario has?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1