HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Summerfest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Summerfest   Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Its the weekend for the biggest basketball event of year in NB. I'm sure some would argue for the Final 12 . . . er 8 . . . er no 12. But this is 50 top teams over 3 days on one site in this province.

Regardless it is a big deal and has gotten no recognition here to this point. So here is the BNB Summerfest thread.

Who is in? Who is playing well? How is the build up to nationals looking? Who is disappointing? Who is winning? Have at it, if anyone cares.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Summerfest   Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Your right , great tournament. Close to 50 teams , all ages U15- to Open Division. Open Division teams in "A" bracket from Halifax had some great hoops. Tyler Scott , Christian Upshaw were fun to watch.
Open Division 'B" and "C" brackets were good too. Final had UNB boys vs STU boys , in what was a surprising close final.
Some great finals.The NB U16 boys over NS U15 boys by 3. ( NS U15's knocked off NS U16's in semis)
NB U15 dev beat NS U15 dev with a jump shot at the buzzer (after blowing a 20pt 3rd qter lead)
U17 girls played well , beat STU girls in a close one in the Womens open final.
Disappointments , would be the play of our NB U15 boys team , which seemed seemed to lack spirit , effort and enthusiasm and did not play well. The NB U17 boys lost to PEI by 15 which someone said may have been the first time in our provinces history. It was a good game but NB had difficulty scoring , turned the ball over way to much and at crucial times , and were not physical enough , especially on the glass. PEI shot well , and played hard and with much enthusiasm.
Everybody who is ( or was ) anybody in NB hoops was there at the event at some point during the weekend. Just a great weekend of basketball for all concerned (players, coaches and fans.)
Congratulations to the organizers and BNB on a great event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Summerfest   Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

Great games this weekend. Lots of competition from all over Canada.

I think 4 NB squads won their divisions. Despite some poor shooting days on the the boys sides of the NB teams going to nationals I think all the teams going to nationals are going to have good runs there.

Was great to see such a huge tournament run so smoothly.

In the future it would great if more local club teams/ schools helped round out the lower divisions too and BNB should probably invest in the some shot clocks or at least borrow some from local associations.

Overall a fantastic weekend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Summerfest   Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 am

Couldn't agree more...great weekend of hoops , and it ran quite smoothly , which is acredit to the great work done by the organizers.
Just an FYI to everyone , I believe the u15and U17 national championships are gonna be web cast again this year. Just go to the Canada Basketball website and follow the links for national championships and we should be able to watch all the games , just like last year. I hope !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: Summerfest   Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:55 pm

For a BNB tournament, i was expecting a bit more.
no player of the game? no opening ceremonies?

Also, club teams could NOT play a zone against U15 OR U17? because they are going to Nationals? i don't agree with that, IMO any team should be able to play zone or man to man whenever they want, not when it best suits BNB- to make them look good....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Summerfest   Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Umm I'm not sure what you are expecting from Summer Tournaments Specifically but I thought BNB did a great job.

Players of the game - Sure stuff like that is nice, but realistically with the majority of teams being in the open division most of these men and women aren't going to care. That is also more about eog and parents (imo) then basketball. On top of that you've got BNB struggling to find officials for games and minor officials to run games properly. In order to have a player of the game even in terms of physically seeing it done properly you would need 5 different people (one for each site and court being used) to make sure that was done properly and that is even more volunteers of an appropriate calibre to find.

Opening Ceremonies - really???? this isn't the olympics or national tournaments. you've got 50 teams with different schedules and who hve requested things for travel. What would the purpose of having an opening ceremony be . . .

Club Teams/Zone Defense - I can't believe people want to complain about this (fyi the no zone was only for developmental divisions and competitive against the 3 u15 provcincial teams.) The rest of competitive, open and the u16-u17's zone was fair game. These teams are playing under rules that Canada basketball has laid out as developmentally appropriate for their level. Summerfest over the last two-three summers has been opened up to allow club teams the opportunities to play that they previously wouldn't have had to attend and play at Summerfest. As a basketball show case, and opportunity for kids to play I would think they would be happy to not only develop their own individual players but to help prepare the teams representing their NB, and the other maritime provinces the best way they could. I won't get into a rant about too much zone being played provincially and how young it starts . . . but seriously if you need to sign up to play in a summer tournament with a club team. And are upset about the fact you can't play zone for 1 or two games I'm not real sympathetic and wonder what these people see as the point or opportunity for them in this tournament. Do you think scouts, coaches and fans are coming to see how well someone can execute a zone.

Though if they are the same people that are upset about the lack of recognition and stuff they recieve by not having a player of the games, lack of recognition by not getting an opening ceremonies and needing to play zone to be more competitive I think I can see a trend developing. I'm again not sure I personally am concerned about these people. So if teams are really put off the the lack of POG's, open ceremonies and having to play rules to help develop the top kids in their provinces feel free not to go to Summerfest, there are clearly plenty of people who are willing to show up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: Summerfest   Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Very good points, i stand corrected and appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summerfest   Today at 4:37 am

Back to top Go down

Summerfest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1