HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

top 10 in the 2012 grad class

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ebe

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:43 pm

ballislife74 wrote:
NPH Showcase wasn't just for Drive. All of the clubs were there except for Basketball BC. Because BBC refused to participate, NPH went as far as to have a showcase after the tournament where they would evaluate talent (drills, etc...). Basketball BC players such as Cameron Smythe were ready to participate but then Ebe came through. He didn't let any of the Basketball BC players participate due to what he said was "fear" of injury. It was very unfortunate since it would have helped some of the other Basketball BC players get exposure.

I have deliberately tried to avoid getting involved in this area of discussion but when people post this kind of misinformation I think there needs to be some balance given. Ballislife74 you couldn't possible know the details of this issue as you were not involved in any of the discussions. Pasha and I personally spoke to each other about the NPH / Drive Showcase and there were several factors that prevented BBC from being involved in this event. To suggest that somehow this caused a loss of exposure to BBC players is truly a ridiculous statement. For the record the Drive program is very good and Pasha and his coaches do a good job. They have a different philosophy and different goals and objectives than BBC. Obviously I believe the BBC program is the best development program available for basketball players in BC and I believe that it is an honor to represent your Province, however I am sure that Drive believes they run the best program. To constantly compare the two and argue about what is better is pointless. As long as kids are getting opportunities that will help them become the best they possibly can then that is all that matters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Last edited by ballislife74 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Recruiting Services   Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:45 pm

ebe wrote:
ballislife74 wrote:
NPH Showcase wasn't just for Drive. All of the clubs were there except for Basketball BC. Because BBC refused to participate, NPH went as far as to have a showcase after the tournament where they would evaluate talent (drills, etc...). Basketball BC players such as Cameron Smythe were ready to participate but then Ebe came through. He didn't let any of the Basketball BC players participate due to what he said was "fear" of injury. It was very unfortunate since it would have helped some of the other Basketball BC players get exposure.

I have deliberately tried to avoid getting involved in this area of discussion but when people post this kind of misinformation I think there needs to be some balance given. Ballislife74 you couldn't possible know the details of this issue as you were not involved in any of the discussions. Pasha and I personally spoke to each other about the NPH / Drive Showcase and there were several factors that prevented BBC from being involved in this event. To suggest that somehow this caused a loss of exposure to BBC players is truly a ridiculous statement. For the record the Drive program is very good and Pasha and his coaches do a good job. They have a different philosophy and different goals and objectives than BBC. Obviously I believe the BBC program is the best development program available for basketball players in BC and I believe that it is an honor to represent your Province, however I am sure that Drive believes they run the best program. To constantly compare the two and argue about what is better is pointless. As long as kids are getting opportunities that will help them become the best they possibly can then that is all that matters.

Ebe, it is good that you have contributed to this discussion. Thanks.

The impression in some parts of the community is just as Ballislife74 has stated. People do want to know why BBC was one of the few groups not to make its players available to NPH. Personally I do not put much stock in rankings, but they do help coaches identify players to watch and the recruiting services are an increasingly important part of basketball culture and communication. I know Pasha and Chad make it a priority to reach out to D1 and CIS coaches and the recruiting services to give their players the best chance to play at the highest level they are able (and get scholarships). That may not be within BBC mandate, but I am sure people would like to know the factors that prevented BBC players from participating, even if they chose to do so on their own.

I also agree that to constantly compare clubs and BBC is pointless, but as long as BBC is putting teams in AAU competitions and requiring that players play only for BBC, then BBC is not much different from a club team (except for its right to play at the Nationals). Until they stop competing and start cooperating, it is not surprising people want to compare them as competing club teams.

I think that it would be helpful if BBC were to contribute more actively here and provide others with information about issues we are all concerned about. It doesn't mean BBC needs to get in to the muck of some of the discussions, but, at a minimum, someone could be answering questions.

Mark

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachofhoops

PostSubject: Top 10 In BC - Summer 2011   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 pm

In my opinion, here are the top 10 players to date:

1. Cole Penman - Versatility.
2. Braxston Bunce - Can't teach height.
3. Mitch Goodwin - Natural shooter.
4. Cam Smythe - Skilled Big-Man
5.Manroop Clair - Best shooter around.
6. Isaiah Solomon - Pure PG.
7. Ken George - Athletic defender.
8. Lucas Goosen - Sees the floor well.
9. Mitch Ligertwood - Athleticism.
10. Jake Newman - Distance shooter.

Putting Abu Khan in the top 10 is ridiculous to me. Where's he been all summer?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
discodirk

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:59 pm

coachofhoops wrote:
In my opinion, here are the top 10 players to date:

1. Cole Penman - Versatility.
2. Braxston Bunce - Can't teach height.
3. Mitch Goodwin - Natural shooter.
4. Cam Smythe - Skilled Big-Man
5.Manroop Clair - Best shooter around.
6. Isaiah Solomon - Pure PG.
7. Ken George - Athletic defender.
8. Lucas Goosen - Sees the floor well.
9. Mitch Ligertwood - Athleticism.
10. Jake Newman - Distance shooter.

Putting Abu Khan in the top 10 is ridiculous to me. Where's he been all summer?!

I think it's pretty ridiculous having Manroop 5th in the province when he's ranked 7th in the country lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachofhoops

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Well the ranking system on NPH isn't accurate in my opinion; and he's classified as a Grad of 2013. NPH doesn't do their research, they just listen to word-of-mouth - Cole Penman isn't even on their radar?????? Manroops done growing and shooting isn't all there is to the game. You could argue the order of 2-5 on my list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
discodirk

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 pm

coachofhoops wrote:
Well the ranking system on NPH isn't accurate in my opinion; and he's classified as a Grad of 2013. NPH doesn't do their research, they just listen to word-of-mouth - Cole Penman isn't even on their radar?????? Manroops done growing and shooting isn't all there is to the game. You could argue the order of 2-5 on my list.

It doesn't seem like you've been keeping up with any of the threads here or with hoops this summer.

If you think Manroop is just a shooter you're sadly mistaken. He's being recruited by major Division 1 schools in the Pac 12 like Washington and Washington State.

Cole Penman isn't on their radar because he's a BCAA/CIS prospect. He might not even be the best player on his high school team.

Oh and you're talking out of your a** when you say they don't do research. You probably didn't know that they were in Vegas this past week where they watched Basketball BC play multiple times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachofhoops

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:19 pm

NPH actually went to 1 game, and watched/interviewed Braxston during the post-game. In the Drive vs. Houston Hoops game, in Vegas, Manroop hit 7 3's and got to the rim 1 or 2 times (against players that he will face if he makes it to the next level)... so if he's more than a shooter, I must have missed those highlights.

Cole Penman not the best on VC's High School team? Now you're talking out of your a** too! Did you see BBC's last game in Vegas?! If I remember correctly, he had about 16 pts including a game tying tray with 2 seconds to go...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Last edited by ballislife74 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachofhoops

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm not saying he's not good, I've said that already. He is a shooter - that is all I'm saying. He's not built to make it in the next level of basketball, hopefully he'll prove my wrong.

I'd take any of the players before Manroop in my list on my team for their versatility, size, overall athleticism and skill; not all coaches only want a shooter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Last edited by ballislife74 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachofhoops

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:43 pm

We'll see! Actions will speak louder than our words...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop4life

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Here are my top 5 players to watch in 2012
(FYI This list was made with my own personal preferences, personal bias for certain players may appear.)

1. Manroop Clair - Burnaby South (Drive)
Unlimited range and underrated passing ability with great potential. The best pure scorer bar none. An underrated defensive stopper. Great crossover, with an almost unstoppable step-back jumper, a real clutch performer.

2. Braxston Bunce - Kelowna (BBC)
Plays basketball well beyond his years, but not overly athletic for a big guy. Understands proper spacing and how to get into the right spots. Lots of upside, uses his height well to control play under the basket.

3. Kenny George - Byrne Creek (Drive)
Quick with a good wing span, great size for his position, good range on his jumper, runs the floor well and finishes with both hands, strong on-ball defender. Very good length, athleticism, defensive ability, and able to score in multiple ways.

4. Alex Mihajilovic - Delview (Drive)
Good court vision, good defensive anticipation, quick slasher, good mid-range jumper and 3-point range. Talented, skilled, and athletic.

5. Cameron Smythe - Sir Charles Tupper (BBC)
Long, lean with a lot of upside, has pretty good touch, can face the basket and connect from mid range. Good leader on the defensive end of the floor.

Thanks for reading.

“Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. halThen you look at him and say, What?"

This must be a joke how did neither Cole Penman or Isaiah Solomon not be on this list. There clearly the best back court combo in BC next year! And Mitch Goodwin is one of the best players in BC hands down. Alex Mihajilovic does not deserve to be close on this list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:28 am

coachofhoops wrote:

Manroop is young. Born in Oct of 94 which means he is 16yrs old and still eligible to play 16U in AAU. That also means he will still be 17 when he graduates from high school. As a result he is being reclassified to 2013, because it is possible (likely) that he will do a prep school post-grad year which would put him in the same year as US students. If Manroop lived in Washington he would be going in to grade 11 this yr. NPH has its facts straight.

This is a similar pattern to what Brady Heslip (now with the Cdn National team) did when he graduated after 5 yrs of high school in Ontario (then did a PG prep semester) and attended Boston College. He is now at Baylor.

Ontario students are usually classified based on five years of high school (see Justin Jackson on NPH - he is going in to grade 9 and is top-rated 2016 - in BC he would be 2015 unless reclassified). In other provinces, the recruiting agencies sometimes reclassify kids based on the likelihood of doing a PG year (or if they state they will do that).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:50 pm

1.manroop clair
2.braxton bunce
3.cam smythe
4.kenny george
5.lucas goossen
6.mitch goodwin
7.isiah soloman
8.cole penman
9.mitch ligertwood
10.nick irvine

hm
jake newman
rav dhaliwal
manny dulay
reng deng
abu khan
jesse coy

Some of you are vampires and nit pick at everything manroops number 1 deal with it i put isiah at 7 cole at 8 and mitch.l at 9
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cbosh4

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:58 pm

hoop4life wrote:
et21 wrote:
hoop4life wrote:
i like how the top 5 are made up of 3 Drive players.....

you obviously dont get around much to watch the top players in bc play as some players arent on your list and the order is wack

i dont get around much argue about one of those players there all in nph canada ranking and manroop is number 7. Players are leaving bbc and going to drive

oh actually nph! They really know their stuff... and the only players leaving bbc and going to drive are the players who didn't make it.

You don't think Manroop and Kenny could've made the bbc team? Haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:16 am

cbosh4 wrote:
hoop4life wrote:
et21 wrote:
hoop4life wrote:
i like how the top 5 are made up of 3 Drive players.....

you obviously dont get around much to watch the top players in bc play as some players arent on your list and the order is wack

i dont get around much argue about one of those players there all in nph canada ranking and manroop is number 7. Players are leaving bbc and going to drive

oh actually nph! They really know their stuff... and the only players leaving bbc and going to drive are the players who didn't make it.

You don't think Manroop and Kenny could've made the bbc team? Haha

Manroop , kenny , lucas could make the bc team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:43 am

Ill be honest drives back court would destroy basketball bc
manroop , lucas and kenny are scary together afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachofhoops

PostSubject: Manroop Not On Team BC   Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:28 pm

While at Nationals in Toronto, I overheard multiple people saying if he was as good as he is, why isn't he on the BC team. I think it's sad that there is no pride on playing for the provincial team in BC. Don't see the best in Ontario on other teams unless they were at the Nike camp in Phoenix...

As for some of the others in the top 5:

Braxton didn't play at all yet he still has everybody talking.

Penman got POTG in the Bronze game.

Goodwin had a great week and got 2 POTG "luggage tags".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:27 pm

et21 to suggest that DRIVE's backcourt would destroy the BC team is somewhat out of touch with reality. Manroop, Kenny, & Lucas are all great players as are the backcourt players who represented BC this summer on the U17 team. Can we not just simply agree that all of these young men are amongst the top players their age and congratulate all of them on having great summers? By the way you are also wrong when you suggest that Manroop, Kenny, & Lucas could have made the BC team because in order to make the BC team you actually have to try out for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopshype24

PostSubject: ontario basketball   Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 am

coachofhoops wrote:
While at Nationals in Toronto, I overheard multiple people saying if he was as good as he is, why isn't he on the BC team. I think it's sad that there is no pride on playing for the provincial team in BC. Don't see the best in Ontario on other teams unless they were at the Nike camp in Phoenix...

As for some of the others in the top 5:

Braxton didn't play at all yet he still has everybody talking.

Penman got POTG in the Bronze game.

Goodwin had a great week and got 2 POTG "luggage tags".

that is where your wrong about team ontario and manroop... with the exception of duane notice (fallen off the ontaio radar a bit..), agunwa okolie (raw but solid) and nick madray (kid headed to findlay prep next year) the best ontario players were on another team playing in oregon along with others.

tyler ennis, tanveer bhullar, ANDREW WIGGINS, xavier rathan mayes and isaiah watkins did not play for team ontario because they were in the nike global challenge where they made it to the finals against USA midwest only losing by 5... those 5 players could've started over anyone on team ontario guaranteed. kevin zabo of quebec didnt play for his team either because of the same reason.

for people to say manroop has no pride in playing for BC is nonsense. players choose to play wherever they please. team bc is a great program, and so are all the other clubs. manroop plays drive because he's been with them for so long. also, kids play where they think they have the best chances in making it big for the game they love - thus being the reason why the likes of manroop and others choose drive. it shouldnt be a must for kids to represent their province, although it is a great honour. but its also a great honour to represent one's respective club team as well. everyone should give these kids a break, after all team bc and all the clubs are done for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:13 pm

This thread seems to be drifting in to describing solutions to get the best players playing for BBC or wondering why all the best players did not play. Rather than highjacking this thread I have posted a message at "Should BBC adopt model Team Ontario has?" I hope there will be some constructive suggestions.

Here is a quick link. http://tinyurl.com/448cyqm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Yeah I second Mark's thoughts, lets keep this thread on topic, and keep to the top players debate, there are plenty of other threads to discuss Basketball BC, or Drive players and so forth,

My New Top 10 in 2012 grad class (after all the big summer tournaments)

1. Manroop Clair
- Clearly established himself apart from the rest with his performances down south
2. Braxston Bruce
- Still big, still skilled and only getting better
3. Mitch Goodwin
- Showed himself very well, will be the top PG in BC next year bar none
4. Kenny George
- Great athlete, good showing against tough competition in Vegas
5. Cole Penman
- Good summer with BBC should be lethal next year with Isaiah in VC
6. Lucas Goosen
- The only reason in my eyes Delta is even in earshot of a Top 10 ranking
7. Jake Newman
- Hard working, and a leader should prove himself with a good yound WRCA team
8. Cameron Smythe
- Defensive anchor, effective offense with alot of upside
9. Denzel Laguerta
- Quick and intelligent play in the summer.
10.Mitch Ligertwood
- Had a good summer, with a real good showing at nationals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Yeah I second Mark's thoughts, lets keep this thread on topic, and keep to the top players debate, there are plenty of other threads to discuss Basketball BC, or Drive players and so forth,

My New Top 10 in 2012 grad class (after all the big summer tournaments)

1. Manroop Clair
- Clearly established himself apart from the rest with his performances down south
2. Braxston Bruce
- Still big, still skilled and only getting better
3. Mitch Goodwin
- Showed himself very well, will be the top PG in BC next year bar none
4. Kenny George
- Great athlete, good showing against tough competition in Vegas
5. Cole Penman
- Good summer with BBC should be lethal next year with Isaiah in VC
6. Lucas Goosen
- The only reason in my eyes Delta is even in earshot of a Top 10 ranking
7. Jake Newman
- Hard working, and a leader should prove himself with a good yound WRCA team
8. Cameron Smythe
- Defensive anchor, effective offense with alot of upside
9. Denzel Laguerta
- Quick and intelligent play in the summer.
10.Mitch Ligertwood
- Had a good summer, with a real good showing at nationals.

I have only seen Manroop play 4-5 times this season, perhaps I have seen his off games but in my opinion he is a bit
overhyped. His first 3 games at HS provincials this year he shot poorly and ended up on the bench for spells. He shot and
played poorly in all 3 games going 4 for 18 in 1. I also travelled to the Bellvue College tournie in July and saw Drive's the first game
of the round robin play. I counted 0 for 8- 3 point shooting, pretty consistant with what I saw at provincials. It is good to see that
Manroop did have some great games this summer, just wished I had seen one. Manroop probably puts up 25-30 shots in games also.
Something he won't be doing next year at a US Prep school.
Why did Sajen only play 1-2 minutes if he played at all, was he injured? He was one of the kids I wanted to watch play against US players?

The players I would build my team around would be Bunce and Ligertwood.
Goodwin was playing SG this summer for BBC and only touched ball 4-5 times in the games I saw, didn't get why he wasn't moved to PG
as the PG's struggled with TO's. Penman played well in the 2 BBC games I saw at Bellvue College.

If BC Basketball is going to improve we need to do a better job at a younger age. Kids in the US and Ontario have skills in grade 2-3 that
BC kids have in grades 5,6,7. If things are going to change we need to ignite the flame at a younger age. SNB and the clubs need to cooperate
and do a better job helping each other improve and promote basketball vs promoting their own programs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:43 am

ebe wrote:
et21 to suggest that DRIVE's backcourt would destroy the BC team is somewhat out of touch with reality. Manroop, Kenny, & Lucas are all great players as are the backcourt players who represented BC this summer on the U17 team. Can we not just simply agree that all of these young men are amongst the top players their age and congratulate all of them on having great summers? By the way you are also wrong when you suggest that Manroop, Kenny, & Lucas could have made the BC team because in order to make the BC team you actually have to try out for it.

We do agree that there the best players its an opinion and im entitled to that if they did try out chances are they would've made it but wouldn't get the chance to start together and already have a good chemistry between them rather go to drive and excel there club program basketball bc is slowly losing its appeal to the youth tristan and jadon are both on drive and ranked .. no player there age in the provincial program is so when there u-17 where will basketball bc stand being over looked as we stand players are going to continue to leave and go to clubs ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: top 10 in the 2012 grad class    Today at 7:34 am

Back to top Go down

top 10 in the 2012 grad class
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next