HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Just saw on several recruiting sites and the Drive Basketball twitter that it looks like Manroop Clair has finally found his destination next season choosing to attend La Jolla Prep in Southern California.

Anyone have any info on the school? Notable players from the team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: La Jolla Prep   Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 pm

http://www.wavehoops.com/home For academics, apparently he can attend one of three schools: a private school or a San Diego Unified School District School (ie public).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Manroop Clair- 2013 combo guard that is recognized as the next Jimmer Fredette. He has decided to attend La Jolla Prep in Southern California.

http://thehuskyhaul.com/2011/08/16/mens-basketball-recruiting-update/

La Jolla has never been known for producing elite college basketball players, but that may be about to change.

San Diego native Gary Trousdale, who spent the past four years running the nationally ranked basketball program at Westwind Prep Academy in Phoenix, said Thursday he has set up shop in La Jolla with a basketball-only school that will be known as the La Jolla Prep Waves.

Trousdale led Westwind, a charter school, to back-to-back top 10 national rankings the past two seasons and has produced 33 college players during the past three years. Twenty of those athletes have gone on to play at the Division I level, includng San Diego State’s Jamall Franklin and University of San Diego’s Patrick McCollum.

The new La Jolla program will have two teams just like the one in Phoenix, Trousdale said. One will be comprised of high schoolers and compete nationally; the other is a post-graduate team that will also compete nationally with other post-high school academies.

“We will travel across the country and play other top programs,” Trousdale said.

Trousdale will head up the program as well as coach the high school team, which will not compete with other CIF schools; rather, the Waves will play other national high school powers such as Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) and Findlay College Prep (Henderson, Nev.).

The new basketball academy will also have a post-graduate program for athletes who have already graduated from high school but are looking to improve their college stock.

The academy is in the process of securing houses in La Jolla where the student-athletes will live. It will be under adult supervision and be run “like a college program,” according to Trousdale.

According to their website, “Our daily schedule, individual workouts, academic study table and time management is structured exactly like a high major program. When student-athletes leave La Jolla Prep they are prepared to succeed at the highest level.”

Trousdale said, “We will not accept a student-athlete that doesn’t buy into what we’re doing. Last year, I sent seven kids home from Westwind that didn’t buy in — I sent kids home that were Division I athletes.”

Giving back to the community is also part of the plan for the Waves.

“We’re very big with community service,” Trousdale said. “In fact, we had kids volunteering their time five days a week, helping out with special education and physically handicapped kids. That will definitely be a priority for us in La Jolla.”

Tuition to attend the basketball academy is listed on the the team’s website (www.wavehoops.com) at $28,650 for high school and $27,875 for post-grad. There is also a $5,000 deposit that is non-refundable and tuition of $30,210 for international students. Should they choose a private school, the tuition is on top of their La Jolla prep expenses.

Student-athletes who play for the Waves will enroll in an area high school. For the post-grad students, they can work on college courses — up to nine per NCAA rules — while attending La Jolla Prep.

http://www.lajollalight.com/2011/06/29/rolling-into-la-jolla-prep-basketball-academy/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Full Scholarship   Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I can confirm that Manroop was recruited to play for La Jolla Prep and is on a full scholarship. Well done Manroop! Well done Drive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Prep in BC   Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:43 pm

The next step is for BC to develop its own privately run Prep school. A proper (ie with academic support from a quality school), well funded and coached program to enable players to reach their athletic potential here in BC.

NEDA was a superb program run out of Hamilton by Canada Basketball. Unfortunately they had funding problems and had to cancel the program.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I am surprised that Manroop has decided to attend a startup program. My understanding is that he will be there for one year and then will hopefully go off to a Div 1 school. Or is he going to be eligible to play two years with La Jolla as he will be entering grade 12 next year?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for him to go to an established program like Garfield in WA or the NC prep school?

Also, is the cost of $28,000 annually just for the basketball academy? What is the cost to attend a school (public or private)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skipb

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:10 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
I am surprised that Manroop has decided to attend a startup program. My understanding is that he will be there for one year and then will hopefully go off to a Div 1 school. Or is he going to be eligible to play two years with La Jolla as he will be entering grade 12 next year?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for him to go to an established program like Garfield in WA or the NC prep school?

Also, is the cost of $28,000 annually just for the basketball academy? What is the cost to attend a school (public or private)?

As Mark mentioned Manroop was recruited by La Jolla and got a full scholarship so I think everything is covered for him. I believe he reclassified a little while back to 2013 (very late birthday?) so he probably won't be going to university after next year. I think he has 2 years of high school ball left. Programs likes Garfield and the NC school would have been good choices but La Jolla seems like it's already going to be a lot better than those programs.

From info I found on the program it does look like La Jolla is in their first year but they're on pace to becoming a top prep program in America this year. They say it's going to be even bigger and better than the program these coaches built at Westwind where they lead them to a #7 ESPN National Ranking in 2009-2010 and #8 ESPN National Ranking in 2010-2011.

Looked up some players that have committed to La Jolla or are assumed to be heading there.

2013 Chris Thomas 6'4 (South Kent, Ranked 5th by ESPN and #1 SG in America)
2013 Manroop Clair 6'2 (Drive/Burnaby South, Ranked 7th in Canada)
2013 Matthew Atewe 6'11 (Northern Kings/New Birth Christian Academy, Ranked 11th in Canada)
2013 Kyprianos Maragkos (6-9 PF/Greece, played in Jordan Brand Classic, considered one of the top players in Europe)
2012 Martin Dixon Green 6'3 (CIA Bounce/Vermont Academy, Ranked 8th in Canada)
2012 Naz Long 6'4 (CIA Bounce/Findlay Prep, Ranked 12th in Canada)
2012 Mike Vankirk 7'2 (Considering Stanford, Colorado etc...)
2012 Darrel Bowie 6'7 (Milwaukee, WI/Wauwatosa)
2012 Darren Smith 6'7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:48 am

Hopefully he gets good minutes and can get into a good division one school itd be a waste if he went down there rode the pine and got bad minutes and ended up playing cis or div.2 Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:08 pm

et21 wrote:
Hopefully he gets good minutes and can get into a good division one school itd be a waste if he went down there rode the pine and got bad minutes and ended up playing cis or div.2 Basketball

Man, that was "glass is half-full" comment. He is following his dream...... but there are no guarantees. Go for it Manroop!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
et21 wrote:

Man, that was "glass is half-full" comment. He is following his dream...... but there are no guarantees. Go for it Manroop!

Im a friend of his and i know how good he can be id hate for a coach not to play him as much as we would like to see but im still hoping for all the best to come his way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skipb

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:51 pm

et21 wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
et21 wrote:

Im a friend of his and i know how good he can be id hate for a coach not to play him as much as we would like to see but im still hoping for all the best to come his way

I really doubt a program would spend $30,000 plus on him to just ride the pine...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:13 pm

skipb wrote:
et21 wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
et21 wrote:

I really doubt a program would spend $30,000 plus on him to just ride the pine...

Michigan and unc hand out full ride scholarships that go up to 150k and some guys never see the floor so its possible
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skipb

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:31 pm

et21 wrote:
skipb wrote:
et21 wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
et21 wrote:

Michigan and unc hand out full ride scholarships that go up to 150k and some guys never see the floor so its possible

Division 1 High Major schools like North Carolina are different than a high school program. Those schools like UNC make millions of dollars so they can afford to hand out scholarships like that. I really doubt these high school teams are making money like UNC and Michigan so they cannot afford to waste money like that. The scholarships they have are reserved for select players they believe are going to be key for the success of the program.

The point i'm trying to make is they wouldn't recruit him and give him a full ride scholarship if they didn't think he was going to be a major contributor. If they needed someone to fill out a spot on the bench, they could have picked up a local kid from San Diego for free. Plus there will be enough minutes to spread around for players since La Jolla has 2 teams. They have a national high school team (assuming it's for 2013 players) and they have a Post Grad team (assuming it's for 2012 players).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:43 pm

skipb wrote:
et21 wrote:
skipb wrote:
et21 wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
et21 wrote:

Division 1 High Major schools like North Carolina are different than a high school program. Those schools like UNC make millions of dollars so they can afford to hand out scholarships like that. I really doubt these high school teams are making money like UNC and Michigan so they cannot afford to waste money like that. The scholarships they have are reserved for select players they believe are going to be key for the success of the program.

The point i'm trying to make is they wouldn't recruit him and give him a full ride scholarship if they didn't think he was going to be a major contributor. If they needed someone to fill out a spot on the bench, they could have picked up a local kid from San Diego for free. Plus there will be enough minutes to spread around for players since La Jolla has 2 teams. They have a national high school team (assuming it's for 2013 players) and they have a Post Grad team (assuming it's for 2012 players).

30k for any school in the states is nothing every school has a ridiculous amount of boosters and donations but yeah i get what your trying to say in all he will get minutes but hes always been the go to guy and played 40 minutes a game itll be a big change
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skipb

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm

et21 wrote:
skipb wrote:
et21 wrote:
skipb wrote:
et21 wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
et21 wrote:

30k for any school in the states is nothing every school has a ridiculous amount of boosters and donations but yeah i get what your trying to say in all he will get minutes but hes always been the go to guy and played 40 minutes a game itll be a big change

I agree with you it'll be a change. It will be cool to see how he does down there. Best of luck to Manroop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal   Today at 8:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Manroop heads to La Jolla Prep in SoCal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1