HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Zone or No Zone D

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Zone or Man-to-Man
Zone
50%
 50% [ 2 ]
Man-to-Man
50%
 50% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
McCoach

PostSubject: Zone or No Zone D   Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 pm

I was wondering how players and coaches feel on the topic of Zone Defence. Should we rule against it in Jr and Tier 2 Basketball?
I know the Middle schools are now playing with a rule against zone defence. Is that enough for the players or should we continue it for longer?
I personally have mixed feelings on the topic, and think that maybe middle school is right for not allowing zone D to be played, but whether or not it is right for Jrs/tier two I am undecided.
I personally don't coach zone but sometimes its needed.
What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachCadieux

PostSubject: Zone   Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:37 pm

My personal opinion is that it should be up to the discretion of the Coach based on his player composition. Personally, I always keep 1 zone defense in the play book, sometimes you need it to change the tempo of the game.

At OFSAA I saw some really well coached zones, some teams didn’t have much size/skills, in combination with holding/sharing the ball (no shot clock ) on offense they caused problems and won a few games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Zone or No Zone D   Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 pm

This is something that I have been back and forth on for some time. I use to be dead set against zones when I coached junior because I believed that they inhibited the development of the players that played zone. Now, I believe that a truly effective zone can only work if the players can play solid man to man as well. That is to say, that If players can't play man to man defence, then their zone defence will also be weak. If the guy guarding their man in their zone cant stop the ball then the player will penetrate and break down a zone. If the other players in the zone cannot rotate to help, then the player penetrating will get layup after layup so there is still a great need to develop man to man principles in the players who play zone. Another thing to consider is that if you add a rule that teams cannot play zone, then you are asking referees to enforce this rule and sometimes it is not easy for refs to see. Thus, this rule could simply lead to more points of contention with officials and more disgruntled coaches Smile!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Man to Man before Zone   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 am

I have to agree with coachc, in that before a player can play an efficient zone that player has to understand proper man-to-man defence. As to the question whether teams should be allowed to play zone or not, coaches have to determine if teaching the game is more important than winning!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Zone or No Zone D   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:52 am

With the numerous different types of teams that I have coached, I have discovered that it all depends on the players I have. Most of the time I am an advocate of man-to-man, however, when pressing I like to fall back into a zone, then switch on the next dead ball.

Norman Dale wrote:
coaches have to determine if teaching the game is more important than winning!

I like this line! Where do we stand on this one? I personally think teaching the game is the most important thing, winning is just a byproduct. What do you think? my guess is the coaches will say teaching the game and the players will say winning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Zone or No Zone D   Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 am

It really does depend on the type of talent/athletes you're working with? As a coach your #1 focus is acknowledging your strengths and weaknesses and develop a system which gives your team the best chance to win. At the younger levels pre-HS our focus should be on developing players and I agree you need man to man principles even if you're going to play zone. At every level we will continue to develop players but we keep score for a reason and in the end your kids want to win and be successful. I tend to look at the season as a marathon: pre-Christmas, post-Christmas and constantly tweak accordingly.

As for your question, don't really think you should play it in elementary level. Once you get to HS I think you can leverage it and use it to strengthen your chances (an even upper if that's a word...lol!) against athletically superior teams. I know the teams I've coached could compete against the top teams if we played our match-up zones which are based on man to man principles. I don't think we could have competed against the Vaughan's, Loyola's. Henry Carr's...if there was no zone and even a shot clock for that matter (which is another debate). Our team definitley played to our strengths and that's what you do as a coach. Even the NBA has allowed zones and the Mavericks utilized it to win a World Championship this past season. If the best league in the world featuring the best athletes in the world allows it then I guess it's ok?

In saying all this I'm still amazed that Carleton U has won 7 National Championships and haven't played 1 single second of zone - credit to them for the commitment to their man to man system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zone or No Zone D   Today at 12:44 am

Back to top Go down

Zone or No Zone D
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1