HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BJH

PostSubject: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 am

To start off, here are some facts/rumours that I've been hearing about the new season:

Kevin Ndahiro (St. Pat's) has moved to Edmonton.
Vule Grujic (Holy Trinity) has moved to Regina.
Josh Millar (Brookfield) has transferred to Glebe.
Jean Pierre-Charles (Ashbury) is attending Maine Central Institute, a prep school.
Justin Bourgeois, maybe the best player from Timmins in his age group, has moved to Ottawa area and is at Louis Riel.
Ryan Evans (EOM), Issack Egueh (Hillcrest), & Sherif Bah (Deslauriers) are all attending the Regional Elite Development Academy (REDA) in Orangeville, ON this year.
Ykealo "Kiwi" Araia (St. Matt's) is attending Bridgton Academy, a prep school in Maine.

Rookies expected to be players this year in post-secondary:
Justin Shaver (John McCrae) - Carleton
Sean Stoqua (Sacred Heart) - Acadia
Vikas Gill (Sacred Heart) - Ottawa
John Lenz (Hillcrest) - Queen's
Alex Lavoie (Beatrice Desloges) - RMC
Tom Armstrong (Glebe) - Guelph
Buay Reat (St. Pius) - Fleming College
Sham Mohamed (Bell) - Fleming College
Malcolm Jean-Michel (Lester B Pearson) - Loyalist College

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:11 pm

you can add that Gilad Streiner from SRB is now at Glebe. Not sure if he will qualify for eligibility with NCSSAA transfer policy though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilovebasketball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 am

What do people think about projected top teams / top players / potential surprises for the upcoming season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Schools & Names that come to mind...   Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Teams:
1. St. Pat's
2. St. Peter
3. Louis Riel
...then it gets tricky.

These teams should be pretty good:
St. Matt's
SRB
Earl of March
Merivale
Holy Trinity
Gloucester

Players: (*assuming all are back)
1. Marial Shayok 6'4" G (Gr.11), St. Pat's
2. Chris McComber 6'7" F (Gr.11), John McCrae
3. Elliott Dooley 6'3" G (Gr.12), St. Francis Xavier
4. Daniel Nwosu 6'1" G (Gr.12), St. Peter
5. Roydell Clarke 5'9" G (Gr.11), St. Pat's
6. Kevin Bercy 6'5" F (Gr.12), Holy Trinity
7. Jamal Aden 5'10" G (Gr.12r), SRB
8. Owen Powers 5'11" G (Gr.12r), Earl of March
9. Michael Quinn 6'10" C (Gr.11), Louis Riel
10. Kenton Linton 5'10" PG (Gr.12), Merivale

Back to top Go down
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Sacred Heart should also be strong as they were junior finalists two years ago. I believe Keagan and Manny are still there, but I am not sure how many players they will have or who is planning on coaching them.

It also looks like Owen Powers season could be in jeopardy due to injury.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilovebasketball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Who do St. Matt's and Gloucester have that should make them good? No disrespect meant, I just can't think of anyone off the top of my head.. And should McCrae, St. FX and SRB not be teams to watch as well, considering they have some of the top players in the city? Or are their respective supporting players that weak?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:10 pm

There are a group of teams that year after year seem to always be "pretty good" and St. Matts seems to fall into that group. They always play tier one and they always seem to finish near the top of the standings. I believe that their juniors were pretty solid and we know that their seniors made it to the semis last year. I am not sure what Gloucester has so someone else will have to fill in the blanks on that one. John McRae has been tier two for the last few years and may very well still be a tier two team even though they have arguably the best player in the city. St. Francis is a new school so there is not much to go on with them. How many club players do they have? SRB was on the original list of teams that should be pretty good, so I dont think there was any slight there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:07 am

Ilovebasketball wrote:
Who do St. Matt's and Gloucester have that should make them good?

St. Matt's should have some solid returning players, like 6'2" wing Mack Wakefield & 6'0" pg Sebastian Mangan, with some role players like Taren Johnson & Michael Black. Ben Rozman's supposedly back playing this year. Keonte Mouaga will be an impact player from their junior team last year. Put those parts together with good coaching (Jason Wren & Chris Wakefield) and the Tigers will be just fine.

Gloucester gets a big boost from their junior team that won the Tier 2 title last year. 6'4"-6'5" forward Mokhtar Zehrawi, Yahye Mohamed, & point guard Haddar Alafifi are all standouts.
Back to top Go down
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:19 pm

I've been told Ryan Evans has left REDA and is now back in Ottawa. Could be a nice add to the high school season if he returns.
Back to top Go down
TGX

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:20 am

Although preseason rankings are difficult, based on players, last year's senior results and junior two years ago, this is how I see things going this year.
1) St. Pats
2) St. Petes
3) Louis Riel
4) St. Matts
5) SRB
6) Holy Trinity
7) Sacred Heart
Cool Merivale
9) Deslauriers
10) Earl of March
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballboy

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 am

How are St. Petes and Louis Riel looking this year? What players do they have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilovebasketball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:19 pm

At TGX, I dunno.. St. Pat's is definitely the most all-around talented team, but after that I see alot of differences.

1. St. Pat's (Marial, Roydell, Braeden...)
2. Louis Riel (Mike, Christian, Raph)
3. Merivale (Kenton, Alex, supposedly a solid grade 11)
4. St. FX (Elliott, Ivan, Akin from Brookfield)
5. St. Pete's (Daniel, Mike)
6. SRB (Jamal, Farhan)
7. EOM (Owen, Idan, Ryan from REDA?)
8. Sacred Heart (Keegan, Emmanuel)
9. Holy Trinity (Kevin, Alex)
10. St. Matt's (Mack, Sebastian)

It is true what you said, though - accurate pre-season rankings are very difficult to make.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TGX

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:04 pm

At this point, one list as good as another. I believe St. Pats, St. Petes and Louis Riel will be very strong and in the top 4, but after that it seems that there are a number of teams with two or three solid club players. As a result, it will be the 3rd or 4th through 6th players that make the difference among the other top teams this year. It seems that both St. Matts and SRB have good players to play with the top players on their teams, which is why I have them in the top 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Bballboy, Louis Riel was good last year and had an very solid junior squad so they should definitely be in the top 5 teams (perhaps top 3?). St. Peters dominated junior two years ago and have pretty much the same team. They had a decent season last years with all grade 11s so they should be ready to take the next step. In my mind, they too are a top 5 (likely top 3) team.

If Ryan is indeed back at Earl, then he can help Earl be a legit contender though it will be more difficult than some might have initially thought if Owen is indeed not playing high school ball this year (injury). It will be interesting to see just how good St. Pats is since most of their key players played senior for the last couple of years when they could have played down. Some might have wondered how much success their junior program would have had if the players stayed in junior. This is the year we can see just where they stand vs the players their own age from other schools. Most people will have them as the clear favourite going in.

Also, some tier two teams from last year are getting some love and it will be interesting to see where those teams fit in. SRB, St. Matts, and Sacred Heart will also be in the conversation this year and I am sure all three feel that they have a legit shot at winning too. With the new structure of the league, if all of these teams play in the ofsaa division as is expected, then there should be no weak games this year!!

Possible Ofsaa division teams:

West - SRB, Earl, Sacred Heart, Mother Theresa, Merivale, Holy Trinity, Glebe
East - Ridgemont, St. Peter, St. Pats, St. Matts, Louis Riel, St. FX

I would imagine that Deslauriers and OIS also enter as they are the only single A teams but I am not sure what they have coming back. What will teams like Ashbury, Gloucester, and Carine Wilson do.... ofsaa division or tier one? Perhaps the ofsaa category gets divided A/AA and AAA/AAAA rather than east west. IF that is the case, where will Louis Riel play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starofstars

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Louis-Riel have all their team from last year coming back except for one player and added around 3 solid players from junior along with a kid from timmins .. will be fun to see how they do this year with a deep squad. Same thing goes for st-petes as they where mostly all grade 11 players. St-pats will be dangerous this year but they will get some competition and shouldn't be that easy for them.

As of right now i would rank st-pats & louis-riel above of the rest! it will be interesting to see how these teams do in the preseason tournaments. Coachc after what ive been hearing it seems like Louis-Riel has decided to enter the AAA divison this year!

I dont think Ridgemont has enough talent to participate in the ofsaa divison after what we have seen these past years.
For every other team it will be interesting to see how they do this year. It shall be a great season in the senior division!

goodluck to all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I would need some help in getting a projected starting lineup for Sacred Heart. That's why I left them off my original list. I can't name 5 players. Emmanuel, Keegan, Dalton King, ... umm, Lorne Wierenga maybe? Not much help from their junior team that didn't win in league play. Brendan Stoqua's one of the better grade 10s, but I don't recall Sacred Heart ever moving a junior-aged player up to senior. Losing Tony House as coach is a huge loss as well. Hopefully some guys who were on the junior team two years ago that were cut or didn't play last year will try again?
Back to top Go down
CoachCadieux

PostSubject: Deslauriers   Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:58 pm

The starting five should be better then last year squad... We have Jonathan P and Big John returning plus my guards can actually defend....The leadership of Sherif will be missed...

I love this time of year... this is when I print out the top 10 list and post it in the GYM for motivation

I agree,

St-Pats and Louis Riel will be very difficult to beat.. talent and dept...
And LR starts participating in tournament as of next week….
I would also say the combo guard of Jamal and Farhan and SRB will also cause a lot of problems...
Are you thinking of getting out of the 3-2 Zone defense CoachC?
St-Peter should also be very competitive…
And if EOM have both Ryan( I heard he’s no longer at REDA) and Owen (possible season ending injury) are playing… they would be in the top five…

The rest I think is up from grabs… let’s see who does!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilovebasketball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Coachc, I think the splitting up the top division by A/AA and AAA/AAAA idea makes a lot of sense. That way, teams can get a feel for the type of competition they might actually be playing against if they are to make it to OFSAA.

Does anyone know yet when the season starts, or when we'll know which teams are playing in which division?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm

The season will likely start the last week or second last week of November. The Cullen tournament (referees tournament) usually signifies the start of the league play and that tournament is usually around the 19th of November. I would imagine that teams will have to declare their intentions the week before that.

CoachCadieux, we will play a variety of defenses depending on matchups and how each game is evolving. Whatever gives us the best chance at success Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachCadieux

PostSubject: EAST/WEST   Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:48 am

If NCSSAA basketball follows the same league format as soccer and volleyball...we will have EAST / WEST A/AA/AAA/AAAA combined

What teams do you think will go OFSAA or Tier 1
East:
St-Pats - OFSAA
St-Matts- OFSAA
St-Peter - OFSAA
Louis Riel - OFSAA
Cairine Wilson?
Ashbury?
Lester B. Pearson?
SWL?
Glebe?
Colonel By?
Gisele Lalonde?
Immaculata?
De La Salle?

West:
SRB- OFSAA
EOM - OFSAA
Sacred Heart - OFSAA
All Saints- OFSAA
Deslauriers - OFSAA
Merivale- OFSAA
Notre Dame?
MT?
Ridgemont?
St-Pauls?
St joes?
St Pius?
Bell?
Nepean?
Woodroffe?
OIS?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm

I've been told Craig Peloso is back at St. Paul's for his fifth year.

If Glebe decides not to compete in the OFSAA division, I would assume Brookfield transfer Josh Millar (6'6" post) and SRB transfer Gilad Streiner (6'4" forward) will be able to play for them?
Back to top Go down
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 am

Rumour has it that Lisgar picked up a lot of transfers this year. However, I dont think it will make them strong enough to compete Ofsaa or if the players will be allowed to compete at the ofsaa level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Lisgar will never be a successful program no good athlete would want to come to lisgar. There is such limited resources at that school for the athletics. People who want to succeed in the athletics that live in the area would go to the other nearby schools where there is a establish athletic program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:54 pm

My understanding about transfers is that if the team is not playing ofsaa division, then transfers are fine which is why Justin could play for John McRae last year. I would be very surprised if Glebe did not go in the ofsaa division. They always tend to have decent athletes and their coaching is solid. They will be able to compete in most games if not win out right. As for Craig being back at St. Paul's, that definitely gives them a nice boost. How was their junior team last year? Lastly, I am not sure that the comments about Lisgar are fair. It was not that long ago that they were the class of the city in basketball. Though they would have lots of work to do as they have been tier two the last couple of years and jumping all the way to the ofsaa division could be a rather large leap. Still, every year is a fresh opportunity for all of us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 pm

I've heard that St. Pat's have two impact transfers this year. One from the US & one from Calgary. If they are as good as I'm hearing, the Irish should be a serious contender at OFSAA next March. Maybe IrishCK can confirm. Even without them, it's still a formidable team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012   Today at 10:04 pm

Back to top Go down

Senior Boys BBall 2011-2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next