HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:58 am

I will start with a list of the expected best teams in the North (pre-season only):

The Sault League:

1). St, Basil's;
2). Superior Heights;
3). St. Mary's;
4). Korah &
5). White Pine's.

Sudbury:

1). LaSalle;
2). Lockerbie;
3). Lo-Ellen &
4). MacDonald-Cartier.

North Bay:

1). Algonguin;
2). Chippewa &
3). West Ferris.

Timmins:

1). Timmins High (who else)!

I believe that "AAA" NOSSA is in the Soo, and "AA" NOSSA is in North Bay!

Any additions or subtractions are welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Run&Gun92

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Okay, now we no the favorits for the regions, who's the favorites overall? Is Basil's still the team to beat? And further to that point is Ferris really not gonna beat chippewa? And is Timmins gonna see another off year, or is it just the end of the program? Would love for someone to give me insite, i know that Lasalle's gonna continue the upswing, but idk about anywhere else
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: St. Basil's is still the favourite   Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 pm

As Basils only lost one starter from last year, although it was their best player, I believe they should be favoured.

As to West Ferris they really one have one player back from the starting line-up, that being the coach's son it is not out of the realm of possibilities that they come third.

I am not sure about LaSalle. They are a very system oriented team with no real individual stars (save the off guard who is very quick) and they tend to come up short when they need to play from behind or need a "star" play to win a game! Also, they can not play man dee so that is a liability as well! Having said that Sudbury is very weak so they have a chance.

As to Timmins, even if they have an off year they have no competition so they are still favoured to go to OFSSA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Sault League Standings   Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:21 am

I agree with Norman's Sault league layout.

St. Basil's only loses one starter (point guard Matt Bertolissi) from last year plus their six man (Sam Campana). They deserve to start the season as favorites until proven otherwise. I think their only competition in NOSSA "AA" will be LaSalle this year with Lockerbie one year away due to both of their strong junior programs.

Superior Heights could challenge St. Basil's if they can utilize their size (they have two 6'5" post players) down low. I think that they need to find a decent point guard with which to utilize their size down low and get a shooter (other then their one big man - Drake).

St. Mary's is in for a down year but could get third place by working hard on defense and playing a fast paced offensive style. As the Sault hosts NOSSA "AAA" they still have a chance to go, and if you go you might have a chance to win.

Korah is a young team that might challenge especially if their big grade ten center (6'-10") makes a successful transition to senior. They already have a good point guard. They always play hard defensively under Coach G. so they could be a factor for NOSSA as well.

White Pines is a mystery right now so I will comment after East-West.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Run&Gun92

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I found'er intresting how you put West Ferris behind Lasalle. Last year ferris was a game away from medallimg at OFSAA, there's no way they drop all the way down to 4 or 5. Doesn't really make much sense to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:44 am

Run&Gun92 wrote:
I found'er intresting how you put West Ferris behind Lasalle. Last year ferris was a game away from medallimg at OFSAA, there's no way they drop all the way down to 4 or 5. Doesn't really make much sense to me.

The reason I put them fourth was that they lost all but one of their starters from last year and that their junior team was not at all strong. They might do better in league but it will be a real dog-fight for them to repeat! Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Senior Boys BBall tournaments next weekend   Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Is the Laurentian tournament next weekend. The Algoma Tip-Off is next weekend as well. Are there any others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Run&Gun92

PostSubject: Shoot The Rock This Weekend?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Who's in the tournament this weekend? And who's everybody got to win the tourny?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Teams at Laurentian Tourney   Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:06 am

Run&Gun92 wrote:
Who's in the tournament this weekend? And who's everybody got to win the tourny?

From the Soo I believe that Korah and St. Basil's will be there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stangs

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:15 am

Norman Dale wrote:
I will start with a list of the expected best teams in the North (pre-season only):

The Sault League:

1). St, Basil's;
2). Superior Heights;
3). St. Mary's;
4). Korah &
5). White Pine's.

Sudbury:

1). LaSalle;
2). Lockerbie;
3). Lo-Ellen &
4). MacDonald-Cartier.

North Bay:

1). Algonguin;
2). Chippewa &
3). West Ferris.

Timmins:

1). Timmins High (who else)! Theriault will give them a run at Seniors this year but Juniors at O'gorman will crush Timmins High this year! TH program is done.

I believe that "AAA" NOSSA is in the Soo, and "AA" NOSSA is in North Bay!

Any additions or subtractions are welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stangs

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:17 am

Run&Gun92 wrote:
Okay, now we no the favorits for the regions, who's the favorites overall? Is Basil's still the team to beat? And further to that point is Ferris really not gonna beat chippewa? And is Timmins gonna see another off year, or is it just the end of the program? Would love for someone to give me insite, i know that Lasalle's gonna continue the upswing, but idk about anywhere else

TH is done after this year...their coach is retiring and the new guy knows nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Is West Ferris on the down-side?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:26 am

Run&Gun92 wrote:

As Korah beat West Ferris handily this weekend and Basil's made the finals I do not thick I was that far off in my initial view of West Ferris's chances this year.

If anyone out there knows who was in the final with Basil's that would be outstanding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Basil's actually won the tourney - 3rd in a row   Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:46 pm

John Stockton's Shorts wrote:
Run&Gun92 wrote:

As Korah beat West Ferris handily this weekend and Basil's made the finals I do not thick I was that far off in my initial view of West Ferris's chances this year.

If anyone out there knows who was in the final with Basil's that would be outstanding.

St. Basil's beat St. Joe's from Barrie 53-42 to win the tourney for a third straight year. I believe that St. Basil's is the team to beat by a wide margin. I think that when St. Mary's and St.Basils merge ( approx. 3 years) affraid they will continue to be a force in the north!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: St. Basil's & St. Mary's played last night in the Soo League   Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:00 am

St. Basil's beat St. Mary's 49-40 is a closely fought game. bounce

How have the other leagues started out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachintraining

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Notre Dame in Sudbury will definately be ahead of Macdonald Cartier and Loellen, and maybe even Lockerby. Not sure how you can include a team that puts itself in the second division in their league. Lasalle is number one in SDSSAA, followed by CND, Lockerby then Lo-Ellen. Widdifield will be number one in North Bay, followed by Algonquin, Chippewa. West Ferris won't have much coming up from the junior ranks, and they have very little left from last year's team but they do have good coaching, so they probably will contend St. Basil's is lights out the best team in the North. They will contend for a medal at OFSAA. They can shoot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Sudbury's League   Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:38 am

coachintraining wrote:
Notre Dame in Sudbury will definately be ahead of Macdonald Cartier and Loellen, and maybe even Lockerby. Not sure how you can include a team that puts itself in the second division in their league. Lasalle is number one in SDSSAA, followed by CND, Lockerby then Lo-Ellen. Widdifield will be number one in North Bay, followed by Algonquin, Chippewa. West Ferris won't have much coming up from the junior ranks, and they have very little left from last year's team but they do have good coaching, so they probably will contend St. Basil's is lights out the best team in the North. They will contend for a medal at OFSAA. They can shoot!

Yes, I was a little wary of ranking the fourth place team in Sudbury, just a guess really Embarassed . Is the scorer from CND back again this year (coach's son)? If so then yes they should be in the mix. I believe that LaSalle will be #1 if the team is mostly back from last year. If they learn man-to-man defence, they might be able to give Basil's a run for their money. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Run&Gun92

PostSubject: Basil's lights out best team?   Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:18 pm

How can you say St. Basils is "lights out" the best team? That makes no sense. They haven't beat anyone in the North yet, its abit early to say that. LaSalle can play with them, they are bigger inside and haven't been playing with their starting point guard. Furthemore how can St.Basils handle the physical play that LaSalle will bring? Just saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Were La Salle at the Laurentian Tournament 2 weeks ago?   Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Run&Gun92 wrote:
How can you say St. Basils is "lights out" the best team? That makes no sense. They haven't beat anyone in the North yet, its abit early to say that. LaSalle can play with them, they are bigger inside and haven't been playing with their starting point guard. Furthemore how can St.Basils handle the physical play that LaSalle will bring? Just saying.

I do not know the answer as to whether they have beaten any teams in the North but were they (La Salle) at the Laurentian Tourney 2 weekends ago? Rolling Eyes If they were then the answer is yes as they won the tourney easily over St. Joe's from Barrie. Basil's is built to kill the zone with their speed and shooting and that would be the main weakness when they meet as I have never witnessed LaSalle play anything close to full-out man-to-man, the closest they got last year was a trianle and two at NOSSA finals and they still lost against St. Mary's.

Really, until someone beats them in the North then I will stick to my statement. Also, if they are as confident as you are they will go to NOSSA "AA" and take their chances in beating them. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachp

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Anybody know how West Ferris did at the Laurentian and Kawartha tournaments? Heard they are having a down year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachintraining

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:04 pm

St Basil's is the best team in the North based on them winning the Laurentian tournament. Ya gotta remember this is a forum and opinions are all accepted....as for West Ferris...not sure how they did, but based on the fact that there was nothing in the local paper on there performances in either tournament, I'll guess that the results were less than desirable. But they will get better. Not sure about Lasalle...they had a strong junior team and a more than adequate senior team that are well coached. It'll be fun to see....Big tournament this weekend in the Bay -54th Annual Tomahawk! 32 Senior Teams....most northern teams will be there...not St Basil's...but I think Lasalle, Notre Dame, LoEllen and Lockerby from Sudbury and all the North Bay teams...good time to come out and watch the games to judge for yourselves!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachintraining

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Sorry...no Lasalle or Lockerby...and no Soo teams...but who cares! Great basketball this weekend...Go to chippewaraiders.com and follow the link for the Tournament website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: West Ferris   Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:36 am

coachp wrote:
Anybody know how West Ferris did at the Laurentian and Kawartha tournaments? Heard they are having a down year.

I know that they lost handily to Korah from the Soo in a prelim game. Korah lost by twenty to St. Mary's and over thirty to Basil's in league play. I believe you are correct about them (West Ferris) having a bad year. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Other Tourney's   Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:04 am

coachintraining wrote:
Sorry...no Lasalle or Lockerby...and no Soo teams...but who cares! Great basketball this weekend...Go to chippewaraiders.com and follow the link for the Tournament website.

There is a tourney in Barrie this weekend (Georgian College) and one in southern Ontario. For Basil's I would think that seeding considerations came into play when they pick the tourneys that they go to!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Tomahawk Tournament results?   Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 am

How did the Northern Teams do in the tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Sorry state of northern basketball - Tomahawk Tourney   Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:02 pm

coachintraining wrote:

The only northern teams that made it into a final game were White Pines and Espanola who played each other in the "C" final Twisted Evil . I do not know how strong Espanola is but White Pines is winless in Soo city league play. Exclamation

That might answer your implied question as to why there where not so many northern teams at the tourney. Timmins was in Kingston at the Holy Cross tourney, St. Mary's went to Barrie for the Georgian College tourney (they won bronze) and Basil's had played the University of Windsor the week before.

I am not sure what LaSalle or Lockerbie were up to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Today at 3:07 pm

Back to top Go down

Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next