HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
coachp

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Algonquin was the top team from the north at the Tomahawk tournament. They lost in the championship semi to eventual champs Collingwood. O'Gorman won the junior championship. Beat Lockerby by 20 in the finals. TH hold of timmins basketball is coming to an end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutControl

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:19 am

coachp wrote:
Algonquin was the top team from the north at the Tomahawk tournament. They lost in the championship semi to eventual champs Collingwood. O'Gorman won the junior championship. Beat Lockerby by 20 in the finals. TH hold of timmins basketball is coming to an end.

I don't think Timmins was in the Tomahawk this year. They won the Kawartha in Peterborough just 6 days ago defeating SRB and Parkside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: How does the North Bay city league look so far?   Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 am

Just wondering how your league looks so far?

a). Will Algonquin again represent North Bay at "A" NOSSA;
b). Who will represent North Bay at "AA" &
c). Who will be the "AAA" rep. (Is there a school in North Bay that is actually "AAA" size?).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: How does the Sudbury "A" division look so far?   Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:04 am

Just wondering how your league looks so far?

a). Have LaSalle declared as "AA" this season;
b). Have College Notre Dame played LaSalle yet this season? If they have who won that game?
c). Is Lockerbie and Lo-Ellen the only "AAA" teams this year?

Just trying to get a handle on the situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stangs

PostSubject: O'Gorman is now the powerhouse in Timmins!!!!   Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 am

The O'Gorman junior boys beat timmins high by 40 points for the second time this year. Funny how coach Sock was suppose to coach Junior but as soon as he found out how good O'Gorman were going to be, back up to Seniors he goes. The Timmins High program has gone down, Sock is retiring and has given the program to Graham who coached girls at mitchener. OGorman Juniros are amazing Skylar, Matt, Ryan, Colton (who Graham kicked out of the gym and sent to Ogorman...nice move) and are well coached both at Seniors and Juniors. Time to recruit again eh TH....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: NEOSSA and Timmins dominance   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Stangs wrote:
The O'Gorman junior boys beat timmins high by 40 points for the second time this year. Funny how coach Sock was suppose to coach Junior but as soon as he found out how good O'Gorman were going to be, back up to Seniors he goes. The Timmins High program has gone down, Sock is retiring and has given the program to Graham who coached girls at mitchener. OGorman Juniros are amazing Skylar, Matt, Ryan, Colton (who Graham kicked out of the gym and sent to Ogorman...nice move) and are well coached both at Seniors and Juniors. Time to recruit again eh TH....

I think that you might be a bit premature in saying that Timmins will not be the best THIS season. I believe that this year is Timmin's to lose. How many do they have coming back next year. Wink

As to their recruiting, with the new rules in place it is almost impossible for a student not to sit out a year before playing for the varsity team whatever the reason for the transfer. This was to get around the yearly situation that occurred at schools like Eastern Commerce and Pickering. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darrell Sokoloski

PostSubject: Re: Stang comments   Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Stangs wrote:

I have never been a fan of anonymous forums and I have never posted on this site before. Hence, now that I will be posting I, unlike most, have no reservations about using my real name. I have coached basketball for 30 years in Timmins and will be retiring this year. I have enjoyed coaching so many fine young men and will certainly miss all that coaching has given me.

In response to "Stang" I would hope that in the future when you feel the erge to belittle people you should at least have the descency to check your facts. Yes, I have passed the senior team to Mr. Graham and I will be assisting him during his transition to head coach and yes, I have been working with the junior coaches and I try to be on the bench for as many of both teams games as possible. I guess it is still in my blood. I am still required to drive for the senior team and I am very much enjoying my "farewell" tour across the province as I say goodbye to the many amazing people I have had the pleasure to meet over my career. You claim to know how we had structured our coaching for this year and suggest that I am dumping the juniors because they are not as good as O'Gorman. I am not sure why you would suggest that "back up to seniors I go," when I have been on the bench for both teams games and will continue to lend a hand wherever I am needed. Why don't you come to our practices and see whats what? You can't just say things and expect people to believe them. I have coached many strong teams and some not so strong teams and have always tried to put in the same effort. I certainly would never abandon a team because of ability.

As to Timmins High's program going down that is nothing more than an opinion. We may or may not be as good as we have been recently but, these things are somewhat cyclical. Somehow we never seem to drop too far out of the thick of it. Anybody can be good for a season or two with the right group of athletes. The mark of a good program is consistent success regardless of the make-up of the team. I know that our players and coaches will continue to work hard and let their successes be used as the benchmark of our program. I am proud of both our junior and senior teams and I know the boys are having fun.
Our seniors are having a great season and have beaten many quality teams from across the province. Our juniors have had many successes and will continue to improve. O'Gorman juniors are a very good junior basketball team and it is no disgrace to lose to them. I wish them success and we will continue to try to improve our play. I would suggest that before you write off the TH program you should wait until someone is able to beat them at the senior level.

A few other problems..... Mr. Graham never coached girls at (and the proper spelling in Roland Michener, not Mitchener.) He coached their senior boys and did a fine job.

In addition you are mistaken as to the Colten Labine issue. I had heard that Colten was saying that we kicked him out of the gym. This is simply not true. We had , at our programs expense, brought Mr. Hugh Meyer in to put on a clinic for our players. The word was already out(Colten's father taught at TH) that Colten was going to O'Gorman. When Colten showed up for our clinic I very politely spoke with Colten and his father. I asked if he was going to attend TH or O'Gorman and stated that the clinic was for Timmins High players only. His father told me that they hadn't yet decided. I told them that that was fine. If he truly was undecided I was happy to give him time to decide and was more than open to showing him what we were all about.They never came back so I assumed they were going to O'Gorman. We never kicked him out.

As far as the recruiting comment. I have been around for a long time and we have had many students approach us about coming to Timmins High. Most do not. Our answer is always the same. If you are in Timmins High in September it is our responsibility to file the appropriate paperwork on your behalf. Due to our success we have had kids want to play here but, make no mistake...they approach us and we always adhere to all the OFSAA regulations. I'm sure most coaches would do the same.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss any basketball issue, past or present with anyone. Call me and let's meet for a coffee. If you chose to make anonymous comments please be responsible. Remember why these leagues operate!

Thanks and enjoy what basketball can do for your and your child or team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timmins50

PostSubject: Is 'Stangs' from the Sault   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:59 am

"Stangs" should talk about his school, coach, league wins, tournament wins, provincial wins, canadian wins, international wins......

The talented grade 8 student did not attend Timmins High.

Timmins High defeated a number of Ottawa teams recently. "Stangs" team beat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timmins50

PostSubject: tournament wins   Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:58 am

Blues three-peat at Kawartha Classic
BASKETBALL: TH&VS defeats Sir Robert Borden 62-49 in championship game
By THOMAS PERRY The Daily Press
Posted 18 days ago

PETERBOROUGH — Timmins High & Vocational School Blues three-peated as champions of the Kawartha Classic senior boys basketball tournament on the weekend.

The Timmins hoopsters dispatched Sir Robert Borden from Ottawa 62-49 in the title game of the event at the soon-to-be-closed Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational School.

Recent tournament champions in Ottawa defeating Merivale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Recruiting nonsense   Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:15 pm

"As far as the recruiting comment. I have been around for a long time and we have had many students approach us about coming to Timmins High. Most do not. Our answer is always the same. If you are in Timmins High in September it is our responsibility to file the appropriate paperwork on your behalf. Due to our success we have had kids want to play here but, make no mistake...they approach us and we always adhere to all the OFSAA regulations. I'm sure most coaches would do the same. "

We now know that it is almost impossible for the transfer to play the first year, especially if the player lives in the same district with the new rules. Creating a new address (post box) in one town and keeping your permanent residence in your home town was a way a lot of schools and their coaches got around that sticking point and still can. Especially if a child is from Manitoulin or Sturgeon Falls and decides to play in Timmins or North Bay respectively. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachp

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm

How are the leagues looking so far? Exam break is around the corner. Who are the teams leading the respective cities?

North Bay: ESC Algonquin are in 1st. They beat Lasalle last weekend in the West Ferris tournament.
Chippewa is 2nd with Scollard in third.

Sudbury : Lasalle is by far the best team a fight for 2nd between Notre Dame and LoEllen. Don't know about big tournament wins.

Soo: ???

Timmins: Assuming TH is the best they got and not much else.

Add or correct if you want.

1. St-Basils
2. TH
3. ALgonquin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Soo Standings   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:05 am

coachp wrote:
How are the leagues looking so far? Exam break is around the corner. Who are the teams leading the respective cities?

North Bay: ESC Algonquin are in 1st. They beat Lasalle last weekend in the West Ferris tournament.
Chippewa is 2nd with Scollard in third.

Sudbury : Lasalle is by far the best team a fight for 2nd between Notre Dame and LoEllen. Don't know about big tournament wins.

Soo: ???

Timmins: Assuming TH is the best they got and not much else.

Add or correct if you want.

1. St-Basils
2. TH
3. ALgonquin

I believe that the standings are as follows:

1). St. Basils;
2). St. Marys;
3). Superior Heights;
4). Korah &
5). White Pines.

I believe that three of the top four will be going to "AA" (1 team) and "AAA" (two teams) respectively as both are in the Soo this year. Plus White Pines has a direct route as they are the only "A" team in the Soo.

Just a couple of questions: 1). Is Algonquin an "A" school and 2). How does LaSalle play against an aggressive 2-3 zone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timmins50

PostSubject: blues update   Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Blues fall short
HIGH SCHOOL: TH&VS go undefeated in round-robin then lose in final against St. Joes.
By CHRIS RIBAU
Posted 4 days ago

The Blues went undefeated in round-robin action, but could only manage a second-place finish in North Bay.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Run&Gun92

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Timmins High beat Algonquin again this past weekend in GoldCup pretty easily. That said from what i hear their best player(josh aurlauskis) has iether been cut or quit the team. Leaving them without a returning starter from last year at OFSAA. That said he was absent in GoldCup anywyas and Timmins still beat Algonquin pretty easily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:07 pm

timmins50 wrote:
Blues fall short
HIGH SCHOOL: TH&VS go undefeated in round-robin then lose in final against St. Joes.
By CHRIS RIBAU
Posted 4 days ago

The Blues went undefeated in round-robin action, but could only manage a second-place finish in North Bay.

Is Timmins coming to the Vetrie next month?

It would be nice to see them play against a Soo team and to see them against some of the better prep teams from the GTA and the US.

Where was the Goldcup played?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timmins50

PostSubject: USA prep school   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 am

Comparing Timmins to USA prep teams who offer funds and allow students to attend any school. Schools in Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa who allow students to attend school half a day and practise the 2nd half of the school day.

I would like see a Sault team visit Timmins and play in the Gold Cup. Timmins is not afraid to play St.Mary's in front of their home crowd.

Timmins has won the Sault tournmnent in previous years before they started to pay for Prep/Toronto schools to fly in for the weekend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Why are you so pissy?   Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:00 am

timmins50 wrote:
Comparing Timmins to USA prep teams who offer funds and allow students to attend any school. Schools in Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa who allow students to attend school half a day and practise the 2nd half of the school day.

I would like see a Sault team visit Timmins and play in the Gold Cup. Timmins is not afraid to play St.Mary's in front of their home crowd.

Timmins has won the Sault tournmnent in previous years before they started to pay for Prep/Toronto schools to fly in for the weekend.

I meant you no disrespect in my question but you obviously took offence and for that I am sorry!

St. Mary's was in Windsor for the St. Clair College tournament. They got to play two very good teams (Herman and Catholic Central - better than any team in the north, they beat St. Basil's by thirty). That is why they did not come to the Gold Cup.

The opportunity to play much better competition can only improve a player and that is why a lot of teams want to play the prep teams. You learn more after a loss than a win! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat   Today at 9:00 pm

Back to top Go down

Northern Boy's Senior BBall - Teams to beat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2