HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Rough Play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Rough Play   Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:38 pm

I"m not sure what other peoples feelings are on this but having just read a post in another threat expressing concern over how rough games between the TVHS and HCS girls had been it got me thinking:

Do we really feel games are too rough here in NB? I know I hear parents complain constantly (normally from the losing side) about how physical the game sometimes gets but in both girls and guys I really don't think our game is all that physical. In comparison to the size of our athletes vs other provinces/centres and the way most teams play here in NB I'm shocked by how much contact gets called by officials. Particularly in girls basketball here in NB but in both genders I don't think contact is as bad as people sometimes seem to feel it is.

How about we just ask our undersized athletes to get stronger and live with more.

You go into the states or QC, ONT and there are bigger athletes doing more reaching, clutching, grabbing and shoving then our kids could imagine doing and yet our smaller, softer???, athletes get called for fouls doing much less and I still hear complaints about how the game is too rough.

Just wondering if people see the amount of contact in NB games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Rough Play   Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 am

Personally I don't find the game to rough at all. Basketball is meant to be played hard and aggressively, I'm not quite sure why people think there is no contact allowed. If you watch an ncaa game you will see tonnes of no calls where thered be a nop doubt foul called at our level.

I think we get to concerned with our kids getting hurt, when we need to realise, our kids can fend for themselves, let them play and stop making a big deal over what really is just good hard playing bawsketball. Our kids r not made of paper and glass, a good physical game is a great basketball game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: Rough Play   Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:49 pm

I would have to agree, as a player I feel that in NB the kdis need to be aloud to play. The game is meant to be played in some intensity on both ends of the floor which means there are going to be bumps. Without contact any player can get anywehre they want on the floor. Personally I find there are many calls during the course of a game that should not be there, sometimes this season our team could not even run a press due to ticky tack fouls called, and there is really no need for it. If there is one thing in NB that refs should focus on is consistency within a game, I believe the game should be called equally throughout, our refs have a tendency to alternate their calls during the second half of the game, which is unfair to the players. How many times have we seen late fourth quater fouls that would have never been called in teh first?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough Play   Today at 7:28 pm

Back to top Go down

Rough Play
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1