HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Preseason Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
basketballislife161

PostSubject: Preseason Rankings   Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Who is expected to be good for 4A boys this year? (Edmonton, Calgary, South)
Any big transfers, in or out?
Love to hear the feedback
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 am

My top five:

1. Bishop Grandin - Most of last year's team is back that lost to Western in the quarter-finals, Hegwood is a year older and stronger, and Posein is coming off a good, if not brilliant showing with the U17 provincial team. They have talent galore and if they put it all together and play as a team, then they will be hard to beat.
2. Harry Ainlay - They lost to Western in double-overtime in the semi-final last year and have their best three players back in Gerdes, Annetts, and Peterson, not to mention shutdown defender Aundrey Webster. Annetts led the provincial team in scoring at Nationals, Peterson started on the provincial team and played well, and Gerdes will dominate on the inside. Expect George Hoyt to push them hard this year and Ainlay to pick up where they left off last year.
3. Cardston - Not a lot of size on this team, but they are blessed with speed and very good outside shooting and they have some strong players coming up from their JV team. They will surprise some teams this year.
4. Paul Kane - Another team that didn't lose too many big pieces from last year. Tyler Wise is coming off a decent showing with the provincial team, Khalil Bertin made some big strides last year and they are coached by Rick Stanley.
5. Western Canada - I know these guys lost most of their starters from last year, but Western always seems to be there. Both Sykes and Minnifee played on the provincial team and that may help propel them to strong seasons.

How far off am I?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Calgary -

1. Bishop Grandin
2. Bishop O'Byrne
3. Bishop McNally
4. Western

Back to top Go down
cowtown23

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:26 pm

I dont think you can go wrong with Grandin and Ainlay as 1 and 2 in either order
- I would actually give the edge to Ainlay as they performed better at provs last year

once you get from 3-10 - there isnt too much difference

I wouldnt sleep on Bishop McNally, St. Mary or Bishop O'Bryne - and even St Francis Browns

those are 4 teams that can challenge in Calgary and beat ANYONE on a given day
(st mary's junior were REALLY GOOD)

I dont know about putting Cardston so high - yes they will be good
but overall the south will not be too strong

Edmonton has a plethora of teams as well in addition to Ainlay and PK
- Jasper Place - have denzel, chandler plus 2 big boys inside
- O'Leary - have quality returnees plus got a 6'8 kid from Ontario who should be an impact gr 10 right away
- St. Francis - have a strong core of veterans plus 5-7 grade 11's who have HS experience
- Scona - have a veteran team that works hard, is smart and coached well
- Shep - will not be as usual - but are always coached well *(losing their best player didnt help)
then there are always dark horses that no one talks about

I would put the rankings as this - as of right now

1. Ainlay
2. Grandin
3. Western
4. JP
5. PK
6. St. Mary's
7. O'Leary
8. St. Francis (Edm)
9. Cardston
10. Bishop McNally

HM
11. Raymond
12. Bishop O'Bryne
13. St. Francis (Cal)
14. Scona
15. Foothills

- Catholic Central can be decent as well
- Shep
- Churchill
- Wisewood (with Karch)
- Notre Dame (Cal)

Those are pretty much the top 20 teams in the province
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 am

No mention of Churchill, they have Cole and rumour had it that Scott Lamb was headed there. 2 provincial team players should put them in the conversation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I wonder how Lamb would be able to transfer there given the way ASAA is saying they are clamping down on non-academic based transfers. If you have a look at their web-site, they hired a transfer cop as per this year's annual general meeting (see below).

"The ASAA will engage a compliance officer to receive, investigate as necessary, and approve or deny transfer requests based on direction provided by the ASAA Executive Committee."

"Rationale:
The ASAA Board of Governors has directed that a policy be developed to address a growing concern amongst member schools that there are many student transfers annually that are for athletic purposes. The policy precedes this motion, however in order to enforce this policy, the association will need to hire a compliance officer."

I guess it all depends on how serious they are and if they follow through on it. Personally, I don't see why a kid like Lamb shouldn't be allowed to transfer to a 4A school from a 1A or 2A (whatever Claresholm is) for athletics. He is a very good player and the only way he is going to get better is to play with and against better players. He's not going to get that at Claresholm. You can do it in hockey and you can do it in baseball, why not basketball?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:14 pm

St Mary's JV team's success won't translate well to varsity as the reason they were so good moved to Kentucky. Without him that grade 11 group is considerably weaker.

Churchill will be average at best with or without the latest out of area transfers. They're young and the senior's aren't strong enough to put them among the city's elite teams. I'm not sure St Francis is any different. Western is a biggest question mark. They will be interesting to watch and certainly have potential.

Grandin, O'Bryne and McNally will be the teams to beat in Calgary and Grandin has to be ranked #1 in the province.
Back to top Go down
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I would rank Ainlay above Grandin. Will Morrison be playing the full season for McNally after his suspension?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cowtown23

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 pm

im pretty sure the suspension was for 1 year only
- he will help them lots - as he was one of the best guards in calgary last year

yes Churchill will be good if their young team plays like veterans

also Sturgeon and Scona in Edmonton will be dangerous teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cgyball96

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:23 am

you guys all needa wake up on churchill. They are stacked. scott lamb, adonis, eskor, emmett, wyatt cole, wesley chau, rawdon de paiva, and lots more, they will be good. thats 5 alberta players
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:26 am

bballspirit wrote:
I would rank Ainlay above Grandin. Will Morrison be playing the full season for McNally after his suspension?

I'm not sure how that will go down. His initial suspension was for 1 year near the end of last season. They're still going to be a very good team without him.

cgyball96 wrote:
you guys all needa wake up on churchill. They are stacked. scott lamb, adonis, eskor, emmett, wyatt cole, wesley chau, rawdon de paiva, and lots more, they will be good. thats 5 alberta players

From that list I see 2 seniors and only 2 from the national tournament in toronto. Both 8-10 mpg role players. I agree with cowtown23 – if they all play like veterans and bigger than they are they will be good but that certainly doesn't put them high in the preseason rankings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: 3A preseason rankings   Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:26 pm

- - -

Last edited by 12321 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cgyball96

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:19 am

emmett and adonis made the provincial team this year and dropped out. wesley chau played a couple years ago. them along with, scott, and wyatt, 5 AB players. yeah they are young, but they have some great guard talent
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 pm

No doubt there is some talent there and they have excellent coaching. They're just young.
Back to top Go down
Bballjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:59 pm

It appears as if Lamb managed to get around the new transfer rules....so much for the crack-down. But I'm glad he did, because it's the only way he's going to improve as a player. He will definitely make their team better, he is a very good outside shooter, a good defender, and he plays with a lot of heart. I'm not sold on his new team though, I question guys who bail on teams when things aren't going well and that seems to me to be what happened with Adonis and Emmett with the provincial teams. Their guards are also pretty small and don't stack up when you compare them to a team like Grandin. They may surprise people, but I agree that potential doesn't earn them a high pre-season ranking. You first have to go with the teams that were there at the end of last year and still have their core group intact...that's Grandin and Ainlay.

I haven't heard of any other big transfers this year, have there been any?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:44 pm

LCI is looking as though they will have an excellent team this year. They lost a lot of talent but they have a really good group coming up from JV and will have perhaps the 2 top underclassmen in the province in Brandon Karl and Colton Gibb. They should push Cardston for top spot in the south.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathstar11

PostSubject: re:bail on provincial teams   Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:24 pm

why would guys quit after being selected for provincial teams? Wouldn't that make the selection committee look stupid?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 pm

12321 wrote:
LCI is looking as though they will have an excellent team this year. They lost a lot of talent but they have a really good group coming up from JV and will have perhaps the 2 top underclassmen in the province in Brandon Karl and Colton Gibb. They should push Cardston for top spot in the south.

LCI is a long ways off. I agree that Brandon and Colten are talented but thats a big stretch. See BJH's post about the top 2 underclassmen in the province. Granted both Tony and David are south but there is a lot more talent between these 4. You got guys like Classen and Trent Joesph. Big guys like Kevin Ndahiro and Wiande Kher. Kevin might be the best player still in Alberta now that Tony and David are gone. The Neilsen kid in Cochrane was one of a few who could compete with them from all round perspective and might be next behind Kevin. Folsum in Cardston not that far off that and there is a great scorer in Lamb now at Churchill and his team mate Emmet Cook who is close to Tony in athleticism. Sampson at CCHS is ahead of these guys but got left by Pasquotti who evidently is now in BC playing soccer for a whitecap jr affiliate or something like that. Maybe you could add Xavier to this list too.

I don't see LCI competing for a top 10 spot in the province and those 2 small young guards aren't going to take them there. At least not this year.
Back to top Go down
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:15 am

Does Grandin have a new coach. Rumor I heard is that he was pushed out by the parents of all the prima donnas. Like most coaches, I guess he was blamed for the lack of performance and loss to an arguably better Western team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 am

I haven't heard anything like that. My understanding is that Kevin is coaching.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Here's how they've seeded the higher hoops draw.

1. Bishop Grandin
2. Bishop O'Byrne
3. Notre Dame
4. Western Canada
5. Bishop McNally
6. St. Francis
7. Henry Wise Wood
8. Sir Winston Churchill
9. St. Mary's
10. Father Lacombe
11. Bowness
12. Centennial
13. Lester B. Pearson
14. Lord Beaverbrook
15. John G. Diefenbaker
16. Crescent Heights
Back to top Go down
TonyTiger12

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Grandin has a new coach, and he will be the reason that they win everything this year. He already played a huge role in coaching the senior team because the old coaches didn't know what they were doing. One of the best coaches in calgary forsure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 am

Pretty bold to say that he is the best coach in the city. Who is he?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:30 am

TonyTiger12 wrote:
Grandin has a new coach, and he will be the reason that they win everything this year. He already played a huge role in coaching the senior team because the old coaches didn't know what they were doing. One of the best coaches in calgary forsure.

Which means the coach is probably the same guy who coached them in club and made sure that they all went to the same school and pissed and moaned because his kid didn't win it all, last year. Love to see how parental expectations get in the way of a life time coach just trying to help out kids.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cgy ballin

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 am

"Which means the coach is probably the same guy who coached them in club and made sure that they all went to the same school and pissed and moaned because his kid didn't win it all, last year. Love to see how parental expectations get in the way of a life time coach just trying to help out kids"

You are an idiot, the coaches name is Mike Henry he has won junior boys division one city championship last 2 out of 3 years and has no personal connections to any players on the team. He has never coached an organized club team and when they players transfered he was coaching juniors and new nothing about the transfers. you are an idiot for even commenting on the subject that you know nothing about!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Today at 6:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Preseason Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next