HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Preseason Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
Cgy ballin

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:15 am

and Mike IS the new coach of the defending city championship team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:44 am

BOB looked very good in their win over PK. To have one guy win the dunk contest and another win the 3 point shoot-out, very good inside out game. My goodness I have never seen so many large, strong and bearded highschool boys on one team. CCHS played them tough and LCI had a close game against JP. The south appears to be stronger than first thought. STFX will have their hands full in the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:33 am

Cgy ballin wrote:
"Which means the coach is probably the same guy who coached them in club and made sure that they all went to the same school and pissed and moaned because his kid didn't win it all, last year. Love to see how parental expectations get in the way of a life time coach just trying to help out kids"

You are an idiot, the coaches name is Mike Henry he has won junior boys division one city championship last 2 out of 3 years and has no personal connections to any players on the team. He has never coached an organized club team and when they players transfered he was coaching juniors and new nothing about the transfers. you are an idiot for even commenting on the subject that you know nothing about!

Wow.....you owned me. Great Job!!

No disrespect to the new coach. I am certain he is great guy and successful coach.

But, high school coaches are not hired and fired like professional sports. Coaches leave schools when they are transferred, take on new responsibilities, etc. Schools are happy when they have dedicated teachers who will fill a role as demanding as coaching a senior sport. Typically, what happens is that when enough vocal people (usually pissy parents) get into the coaches ear and that of the administration will a teacher/ coach "step-away" from a program that is looking as successful as Grandin 'should be'.

I highly doubt that Grandin's former coach would have left a program (after coaching it for many years) after having a very successful year and on the cusp of an even better year- without having some fantastic reason.....or getting pushed out. As well, if this coach was ready to leave, I am certain he would have had someone in place last year that could have taken over the team. That is what a responsible person would do. Having a lot of people thinking he was coaching throughout the summer and into this season leads me to believe Grandin is lucky to find a new one.....or they had some help.

My thoughts (they may be simple for an idiot, but try to follow) are that Kevin was pushed out because last years parents and players blame him for their lack of success. There could be a lot of truth to that (but, alas, I am an idiot), but I am certain that the coach learned just as much as the players did last year and would make necessary changes for the new year. You don't win just because everyone expects you to.

The question I pose is not who the new coach is. I am sure he will be great. But WHY was the old coach replaced? What happens to the new guy if he is unsuccessful?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cgy ballin

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am

Mike Henry has coached the junior team at bishop grandin for over 4 years now and has always tried cconsistantly at grandin to coach seniors every year. after his success 3 years ago winning a championship he made a deal with kevin oneil to switch for this year. meaning mike would coach seniors and kevin would coach juniors. when this year came around kevin oppted out of coaching junior basketball and retired from coaching,

Kevin is not coaching senior basketball this year because of a deal that was made before last year, not because of last year.

As for the success of the team, they did win city championships in a blow out aswell as beat western in their home gym in one of the best games i have ever watched.

And the same thing will happen to this new coach if they are unsuccesful just like any other coach in the city, there is no difference
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Last edited by Thatguy101 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Alright relax, you win a couple games and common here trying to hype yourself up? Relax we know your better than 12 . Just play
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Mike has been coaching at Grandin for 11 years. No one was forced out. No contentious issues. Nothing new. Its a non issue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:20 am

Kevin quit coaching because he realized Henry is a better coach and its time that Henry got a shot with the senior team. Henry has has no connection with any of the kids that transferred there, and probably would have had just as good a team without the transfers. Henry is not a teacher at the school and WILL be successful. Mike Henry is a much better coach than Kevin and the other guy were, hands down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: B   Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:26 pm

ST FX beat Bishop Ob'yrne and western
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 pm

CYDC wrote:

From that list I see 2 seniors and only 2 from the national tournament in toronto. Both 8-10 mpg role players. I agree with cowtown23 – if they all play like veterans and bigger than they are they will be good but that certainly doesn't put them high in the preseason rankings.

emmett and adonis both made the alberta teams but dropped out do to other opportunitites, Wyatt Cole played pretty good minutes as the tournament got deeper and scott was young. wesley also played 2 years ago. churchill will be one of the best in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preseason Rankings   Today at 10:49 am

Back to top Go down
Preseason Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2