HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

jv programs age ranges

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
deathstar11

PostSubject: jv programs age ranges   Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Hey all, having watched jv bball for 1 year i find the age ranges ridiculous. Guys 17,18 yrs old in grade 10? My son is 14 and in grade 10, and i could tell there was a huge difference in agressive play and physicality with some teams they played against. I'm dating myself here, but when i played jv the cut off was 16 years old, and the reason i know this is because one of our players actually had to produce a birth cert to play on the team.(it was in bc , if that helps explain) Just don't see how fair it is to see 14-15 year olds go up against 17-18's, a couple of years makes a big dif. Just my 2 cents, or 1.5 after taxes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: jv programs age ranges   Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't believe JV is regulated by the ASAA so individual leagues and zones have their own rules regarding eligibility. LCI is grade 10 and 11 students only. Didsbury is grade 9 and 10 students only. The teams could potentially play each other in a tournament and grade 9 players would then be competing against grade 11 students. The same thing could happen with zone playoffs where a 3A team of grade 9s could play a 4A team of grade 11s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

jv programs age ranges
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1