HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3A boys preseason rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: 3A boys preseason rankings   Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:14 am

What about 3A? Winston Churchill from Lethbridge should do well and Crescent Heights from MH have to be up there from the south. I'm guessing Chestermere from south central should be strong since they were all grade 11 players last year. Maybe Camrose who is hosting provincials this year. Holy Trinity from Edmonton? Anyone have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Winston Churchill is playing 4A this year and will be playing in the Southern Alberta High School Basketball League.

I think the first 4 picks are solid. The rest not so much.
1. Chestermere
2. Crescent Heights MH
3. Bert Church
4. Canmore
5. Rundle College
6. Cochrane
7. McCoy
8. Holy Trinity
9. Camrose
10. Wetaskwin
Back to top Go down
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:26 am

Winston is in the 4A league but I am pretty sure they declared 3A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stogee

PostSubject: Don't count out Cochrane.   Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:28 pm

The defending 3A Champs have 3 grade 11's back that accounted for 58 of the 67 points the Cobras scored in last years provincial final and have added more scoring power from the junior ranks in Chase Nielson and Jake Moulton. I would be surprised if they are not in the mix come March again.

CYDC wrote:
Winston Churchill is playing 4A this year and will be playing in the Southern Alberta High School Basketball League.

I think the first 4 picks are solid. The rest not so much.
1. Chestermere
2. Crescent Heights MH
3. Bert Church
4. Canmore
5. Rundle College
6. Cochrane
7. McCoy
8. Holy Trinity
9. Camrose
10. Wetaskwin
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 pm

HenryW wrote:

I was under the impression that its a requirement to declare 4A in order to play in the 4A league.

Stogee wrote:
The defending 3A Champs have 3 grade 11's back that accounted for 58 of the 67 points the Cobras scored in last years provincial final and have added more scoring power from the junior ranks in Chase Nielson and Jake Moulton. I would be surprised if they are not in the mix come March again.

I know Cochrane had a good team last year but I heard a rumor that they have some injuries that will carry over from the football season. I also heard that Jake Moulton stopped playing because he's a goalie for a AAA hockey team or something to that effect. Again, just a rumor but I didn't see him at the provincial tryouts in Okotoks or during spring league. Any truth to this stuff?
Back to top Go down
ruralhoops

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Totally false
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruralhoops

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:34 pm

You may be thinking of Costello kid in Chestermere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 pm

[quote="CYDC"]
HenryW wrote:

I was under the impression that its a requirement to declare 4A in order to play in the 4A league.

From what I understand only 8 teams have to declare 4A. This would mean that 2 teams can opt to play down. Last year Kainai did this. This year Winston choose to. Not sure why they wanted to get into the 4A league if they aren't going to compete in the 4A zones and provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cochrane

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Football injuries won't sideline any of the Cochrane players after the first couple of weeks. Jake played with a Calgary team in the spring so even though you didn't see him in a Cochrane Kodiaks jersey, he is definitely not playing hockey.

The Cobras will be very good. They will be able to score and have 5 players who have had 40+ point games; they have good size up front at 6'8", 6'6", 6'5"; they may have the best guard combo in the province returning from last year's provincial championship team; they've add another big guard to the back court in addition to a couple of outstanding athletes in 6'3" Matt Pipa (U15 provincial team) and Braedan Mitchell; they have experience with additional players from last year's provincial winning varsity team and zone championship JV team. They should win a few games this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for the information. Who is out for the first couple of weeks? That could make the 3A rankings more interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Winston Churchill is 3A. They'll hold their own in the 4A league and will be better in March because of it. Since when is Bert Church 3A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaq

PostSubject: Winston   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Winston Churchill - Lethbridge was in the 2A Deep South league with Picture Butte, Stirling and Immanuel. They were usually nearer the bottom of that league than the top.

They have moved to the 4A league for more competition. Huh???

The boys team will better than Kainai but worse than everyone else. Their girls team will just be worse than everyone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: winston churchill    Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:27 am

my source inside the SAICA told me the reason was that lethbride school division pretty much told the school they had to be in the same basketball league
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaq

PostSubject: Churchill   Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 am

Westwind, that makes sense from the district standpoint but there has been this feeling (at Churchill) that Churchill's lack of success is due to not playing good teams. The girls team pulled out of the league for a year a while back over this. Playing teams in league play that beat you by 20-30 or more in one league would not seem to indicate that your league is the problem, but rather your team is not up to snuff. Churchill's previous league was full of teams that always compete for Provincial titles.

The problem isn't with the grass on their side of the fence, the problem is with their horse!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clean_Balls

PostSubject: Subject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:24 pm    Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Bert Church has always been 3A but for the pass years they have been playing 4A
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3A boys preseason rankings   Today at 7:29 am

Back to top Go down

3A boys preseason rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1