HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Divisions for 2011-2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coachc

PostSubject: Divisions for 2011-2012   Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Here are the divisions for this season and the new format. I do not have the tier two teams, but you can assume that the teams not listed below are in tier two except for Ridgemont, whom I have been told, folded their team for this season due to lack of commitment/interest. Interesting to see St. Matts and St. Joes in AA this year.

Tier One

West

Bell (BELL)
Franco Ouest (FO)
Mother Teresa (MT)
Nepean (NEP)
Notre Dame (ND)
South Carleton (SC)
West Carleton (WC)

East

Colonel By (CB)
Gisele Lalonde (GL)
Gloucester (GLOUC)
Lisgar (LISG)
Samuel Genest (SG)
Sir Wilfrid Laurier (SWL)

Ofsaa A/AA

Ashbury (ASH) "A"
De La Salle (DLS)
Deslaurier (DESL) "A"
Hillcrest (HILL)
Holy Trinity (HT)
Immaculata (IMM)
Lester B Pearson (LBP)
Merivale (MER)
Ottawa Islamic (OI) "A"
St. Francis (SFX)
St. Joseph (JOE)
St. Matthew (MATT)
St. Paul (PAUL)
Woodroffe (WOOD)

Ofsaa AAA/AAAA

All Saints (ALL)
Earl of March (EOM)
Glebe (GLEBE)
Louis Riel (LR)
Sacred Heart (SH)
Sir Robert Borden (SRB)
St. Patrick (PAT)
St. Peter (PETE)
St. Pius (PIUS)

Scheduling could play a big role in the outcome of the season. In A/AA, the teams play everyone except one team so that each team gets 10 games. The team that you dont play in the season is randomly determined. In AAA/AAAA everyone plays each other once but each team plays one of the other teams twice to give 10 games. Again this is randomly determined. So, many of you have suggested that St. Pats is one of the top teams as is Louis Riel. It could be that they play each other twice which may distort the standings a bit. Still, I like that fact that all the teams play each other in league play and I would rather have a ten game season than a nine game season.

Last edited by coachc on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Divisions for 2011-2012   Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Any predictions for these divisions? Who will win, who will surprise etc.?

In tier one, Gloucester and Mother Teresa might be the preseason favourites. Though Woodroffe, Notre Dame and West Carleton may be intriguing as well. Sir Wil and CB tend to be decent and could give Gloucester a run in the east.

In A - it is a three horse race with Deslauriers, Ashbury, and OIS. Ashbury with out Jean Pierre wont be the same, but they have very good coaching and last year, their supporting cast came up big in several games to play tough all season long. Deslauriers losing Shariff is huge, but you know that they will be very athletic and get after people defensively. Right now, I would have to call this matchup even without knowing how their teams will respond to losing key players.

AA - St. Matts and Merivale have to be the favourites but if Peloso is back at St. Paul, then they are definitely better than anticipated. St. Joes moves from AAA, where they always seem to be a playoff contender to AA but I have no clue what they have coming back or what their junior team was like. Holy Trinity might make some noise in this division as well. Any other surprises?

AAA/AAAA - with three ofsaa births for these teams up for grabs, it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. I really do not see any weak teams in this division. Many people have Louis Riel and St. Pats as the early season favourites and I will not challenge that at this point. I will say though that Sacred Heart and St. Petes met in the junior final two years ago and I am sure that they view themselves (as do I) as contenders this year too. With Ryan Evans back and considering their juniors went to the finals last year, Earl has to be in the mix as well. I know that SRB has hopes of contending for an ofsaa spot having finished tied for first last year with Sacred Heart and returning all but two players from that team. Glebe will always be a tough matchup with the number of people they get to choose from each year being way more than any other public high school in the city and the great coaching they have. I have no clue who Hillcrest and All Saints has coming back or moving up from their junior teams, but they have been quite solid for the last few years so it should be interesting for them as well. What about St. Pius? On another thread people have given them some love. Are they for real? Who are their key players? I am looking forward to seeing them compete this year too. Should be very competitive division all around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: Divisions for 2011-2012   Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 pm

It will be interesting to see how the OFSAA berths shake out. If the final four teams consist of two AAA and two AAAA teams will they re-seed them so that the final is AAA vs AAAA? Or, with AAAA in Ottawa this year, will the NCSSAA try to ensure the best possible reps are in town and thus allow the AAA teams to choose to stay if the scenario I mentioned occurs?

Also, as a AAA coach, would you choose to stay in town to play at home or travel all the way to Windsor where you will receive a better seed and, one assumes, a better chance of winning a medal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachCadieux

PostSubject: Small Changes - OFSAA A/AA   Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:33 pm

According to the information sent out by the league, Woodroffe and Hillcrest are AA

They split A/AA into two groups:

GROUP 1 - A/AA
1.ASH
2.DLS
3.IMM
4.LBP
5.DESL
6.OIS
7.St-MATT

GROUP 2 A/AA

1.Hill
2.HT
3.MER
4.SFX
5.JOE
6.PAUL
7. WOOD

Team will play 1 or 2 games with teams within their groups... unfortunately no cross group games...

Let the fun begin... Tip off 4:00 PM 11/28
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Divisions for 2011-2012   Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Its amazing how many schools are now in the A/AA division this year. I guess the focus will be shifted towards the A/AA side this year. With AAAA ofsaa in Ottawa this year isnt that a consideration for playing AAA/AAAA? and Why is it that its always louis riel that makes the jump from A/AA to AAA/AAAA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Divisions for 2011-2012   Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:15 am

Will the Tier 1 finals be played at Carleton as well? it would be a bonus for the tier 1 division to get this oppurtunity to play at Carleton as this would be a highlight for there season because they are not able to qualify for OFSAA. This will give teams a reason for playing Tier 1 instead of the lower tier 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Divisions for 2011-2012   Today at 10:04 pm

Back to top Go down

Divisions for 2011-2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1