HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Manroop Clair headed to...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Where will he go ?
Burnaby South
71%
 71% [ 5 ]
Tamanawis
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Vancouver college
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
kitsilano
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Other
29%
 29% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
spidey

PostSubject: Manroop Clair headed to...    Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 am

So the word is hes back in town and has left la jolla he hasn't made a for sure choice on where hes going to school but for schools who recruit the one who got away is back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bulldog10

PostSubject: Does that mean Manroop is going to play his last yr. @ Burnaby South?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:56 pm

bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:41 am

Why is he back?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eastvanbball

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:00 pm

word is that his family moved to Langley since they didn't think he'd be their and he will be attending DW Poppy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:12 pm

via DRIVEBasketball Twitter

@DRIVEBasketball
sorting everything out now, situation at La Jolla came up as a big surprise

@DRIVEBasketball
There was an issue w/ International students & Tuition, unfortunate but he had no choice but to leave

via Left Coast Recruiting

2012 Manroop Clair No Longer at La Jolla Prep
Left Coast Recruiting caught up with Manroop Clair tonight. The first thing that
came out of Clair's mouth was. "Well I left La Jolla Prep."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Do transfer rules apply? Doesn't he have to sit out a year? If not, and he's living in Langley, I'm thinking he'll end up at Walnut Grove.
Back to top Go down
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 am

Last edited by ballislife74 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:47 am

im guessing he will go to grove that could easily put them at one with kenneth monture jadon cohee and a good supporting cast
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Full Text Article from Left Coast Recruiting (Author: Jason McCleary)

Left Coast Recruiting caught up with Manroop Clair tonight. The first thing that came out of Clair’s mouth was.
“Well I left La Jolla Prep.”
The Canadian guard left Canada to attend La Jolla Prep. Clair was on a scholarship to play at the school. When asked about why he left, this is what Clair had to say.
“The school had financial issues. I was on scholarship to play. Coach Trousdale told me I had to pay 12k and I couldn’t afford it.”
What is interesting about this all is that it only happened to a group of players on the team.
“Mostly the International players were asked to pay. We started with about 25 players and now there are probably 14.”
Now Clair and others are looking for new schools to attend.
“I am looking into a school in Texas, Spain, and Kentucky. I am back in Canada and might just go back to school here.”
Scholarships are normal for Prep Schools across the nation. What isn’t normal is getting a kid from a different country and then saying things have changed you pay or leave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 pm

I hope the schools in Texas or Kentucky work out. I think those would be the best for his game and exposure.

EDIT: And now the article that JesusShuttlesworth posted has been removed from Left Coast Recruiting's website. It was there, though... wth?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle.J

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Should have never gone to La Jolla it was very risky, most prep programs are this program was in its first year and he got screwed, but he got his offer from Rice University which is good he should come back and dominate in Canada it would be nice to have him go Div.1 straight out of Canada and is he still re-classified?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:38 pm

The Manroop has landed. He is at Trente Int'l in Sugar Land, Texas.

They're playing Huntington Prep today at 4:30 our time, and Huntington Prep is the 4th-ranked team in the US, featuring a bunch of Canadian studs. Game will be streamed here: http://m.highschoolcube.com/tournaments/national-tournament-of-champions
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks for the link okanaganball. Much appreciated..

Just finished watching a replay of the Trent-Huntington game. Wow Huntington Prep has some real legit NCAA caliber talent on that team, I can see why they're ranked #4 in the nation. Close game in the first half but Huntington turned it up a notch after halftime and game turned into a blow-out.

Manroop running the point for Trent will be a good experience for him, his shot was off but he'll get his eventually. Finished with 5 pts., hit 1-5 from three i believe and hit two free throws. Some nice dishes to his teammates and looking like the floor leader on the court already, should develop some chemistry with more games with Trent big men Hamdy and Mohamed (who's committed to Rice University).

But after watching this game all I can see is WOW, Andrew Wiggins!
That kid can ball and as only a Sophomore, he can dominate the game at his will it seems, he looks like a future top 5 draft pick in the NBA.
Huntington Prep is stacked with great Canadian talent, great team to watch and they could be the best high school team in the country, the team is scary and deep with talent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Thanks for the link okanaganball. Much appreciated..

Just finished watching a replay of the Trent-Huntington game. Wow Huntington Prep has some real legit NCAA caliber talent on that team, I can see why they're ranked #4 in the nation. Close game in the first half but Huntington turned it up a notch after halftime and game turned into a blow-out.

Manroop running the point for Trent will be a good experience for him, his shot was off but he'll get his eventually. Finished with 5 pts., hit 1-5 from three i believe and hit two free throws. Some nice dishes to his teammates and looking like the floor leader on the court already, should develop some chemistry with more games with Trent big men Hamdy and Mohamed (who's committed to Rice University).

But after watching this game all I can see is WOW, Andrew Wiggins!
That kid can ball and as only a Sophomore, he can dominate the game at his will it seems, he looks like a future top 5 draft pick in the NBA.
Huntington Prep is stacked with great Canadian talent, great team to watch and they could be the best high school team in the country, the team is scary and deep with talent.

He had 7 points and 5 or 6 assists. He had a nice lay up on Elijah Macon (West Virginia Commit) in the 2nd quarter.

It was disappointing seeing Huntington Prep put Andrew Wiggins on Manroop right from the beginning and keeping him on him for the whole game. I think a lot of people including myself were looking forward to seeing Manroop and Xavier Rathan-Mayes matched up as they are the top 2 ranked shooting guards in the country. Both had their shots off.

I agree with what you said about Wiggins. He's like a cross between Scottie Pippen and Lebron. His dunk in the first half on 6'9 Hamdy was jaw dropping.

Manroop had a better game this morning. I think he had 15 points.

I think Trent will be better once their best post player 6'10 Ali Mohamed (Rice Commit) comes back. I think he injured his leg, had a boot on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Firstly, I hope nothing but the best for Manroop.

But, I would like to know the real story behind Manroop leaving La Jolla. Usually, when a player , or players leave a team, it comes down to personality conflicts and coachability. Wondering if that is the case here? Anyone got the real story? I've read that it was some tuition fiasco, but I gotta believe that that is just the front story, and something else happened. La Jolla runs a great program, and they manage budgets. To think that suddenly, in November, they did not have any more money for tuitions is a bit crazy. Anyways, transferring at this point in the season may not look good for a Div 1 coach as coachability is extremely important. They will find out what happened.

National signing day happened a few weeks back, so all of the top prospects have signed for next year. Going to Rice would get a nice scholarship, but remember Rice finished ranked 183rd last year in NCAA men's basketball. The last NBA player to come out of Rice was Mike Harris.

I hope Manroop is continuing to focus on his schooling, just in case. But I hope he does make it to a great school in the U.S. If not, CIS is a great option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Last edited by ballislife74 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 am

So Rice has an offer extended to Claire....Here is Rathan-Mayes list

And his game is speaking volumes as schools are taking notice, a lot of schools in fact.
Illinois, Kansas, Oregon, Baylor, Arizona, NC State, Florida St, Louisville, UConn, Memphis, Penn St., USC, Marquette, St. John’s, Texas, Washington, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, USF, & Villanova all have offered thus far. That list will without doubt continue to evolve as XRM enters his junior season on an elite nationally-recognized squad

BC is so far behind it's frightening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:05 am

TightD wrote:
So Rice has an offer extended to Claire....Here is Rathan-Mayes list

And his game is speaking volumes as schools are taking notice, a lot of schools in fact.
Illinois, Kansas, Oregon, Baylor, Arizona, NC State, Florida St, Louisville, UConn, Memphis, Penn St., USC, Marquette, St. John’s, Texas, Washington, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, USF, & Villanova all have offered thus far. That list will without doubt continue to evolve as XRM enters his junior season on an elite nationally-recognized squad

BC is so far behind it's frightening.

BC population 4.5 million
Ont. population 13.3 million

XRM is playing at least 2 high school years (this year and next year) in the States, if Manroop reclasses to 2013 then we can make the comparison between these two, maybe.

P.S. We're all in this together, we're all Canadians and we're all in some way part of making basketball better and bigger in Canada. Why do you need to compare us to anyone in that way? Why don't we just say a lot of Canadian prospects are getting Division 1 offers and leave it at that. (Best Canadian NBA player is from BC. Sacre - BC. Trasolini - BC. Bunce with a ton of offers and choosing Cornell - BC. We're doing okay.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:44 am

I like Manroop and his game, but is it not silly that seemingly, all this forum is about Manroop? There are other fantastic players in BC. Mine as well make a manrooplife.ca..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:02 am

TextBook wrote:
I like Manroop and his game, but is it not silly that seemingly, all this forum is about Manroop? There are other fantastic players in BC. Mine as well make a manrooplife.ca..

Start a topic, I'd be glad to discuss other things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 am

TextBook wrote:

Whats wrong with talking about a BC bred prospect getting the opportunity to play against the top North American high school basketball prospects. I mean c'mon we all love to talk basketball, and it is exciting to be able to talk about a high schooler from Burnaby playing against the likes of the #1 2014 prospect and future NBA Lotto Pick.

Whats so wrong with us basketball fans wanting to talk about a player we've watched with our own eyes who played here get a a chance to play against top level competition. We all the sport and love talking about it so don't think just because we like to talk Manroop from time to time that we forget all the other great BC player out there. I hate seeing posts like yours, it just tends to put out negative energy out there, when we should all just be enjoying and commentating on the game we love, if you don't like seeing all the Manroop posts why don't you start threads on other players who excite you rather than put up a post that seems to want to halt peoples excitement on a player who has worked hard to get where he is, something you can't argue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 am

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
TextBook wrote:

Whats wrong with talking about a BC bred prospect getting the opportunity to play against the top North American high school basketball prospects. I mean c'mon we all love to talk basketball, and it is exciting to be able to talk about a high schooler from Burnaby playing against the likes of the #1 2014 prospect and future NBA Lotto Pick.

Whats so wrong with us basketball fans wanting to talk about a player we've watched with our own eyes who played here get a a chance to play against top level competition. We all the sport and love talking about it so don't think just because we like to talk Manroop from time to time that we forget all the other great BC player out there. I hate seeing posts like yours, it just tends to put out negative energy out there, when we should all just be enjoying and commentating on the game we love, if you don't like seeing all the Manroop posts why don't you start threads on other players who excite you rather than put up a post that seems to want to halt peoples excitement on a player who has worked hard to get where he is, something you can't argue.

Talking about Manroop, from time to time? Time to time is not having 3 topics about somebody. Hate what I said, but I have a point, and I know I do. Never did I say "oh i hate him, let's not talk about him" I started out by saying I enjoy his game. What is this so called, "negative" energy I'm putting out there? That other BC kids need to be recognized? That is what you deem "negative energy?" Get out of here if you think that is negative. I am not halting anything Manroop has accomplished, people who are in the high school basketball realm, know of Manroop's achievements but now that he has gone to prep, it is time for people to start moving on...and then coming back to Manroop from time to time like you said, but not three topics on the kid. Also, not surprising as you would come so quickly to Manroop's defense, having created topics about him yourself about the "Orange Express" that nobody has replied too...seems to me I'm not the only one that believes what I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:22 am

Just look at the circumstances surrounding the posts, Manroop moved to a US prep school, when was the last time a BC player moved on to play basketball high school ball in states, the three posts you talk about refer to him signing up with La Jolla originally, him suddenly leaving La jolla, and him finally ending up at Trent. Are these topics not interesting? I would say they are.
I mean its an exciting time for BC high school hoops. With former BC high school standout Sacre having a a great start to his Sr year and a possible NBA draft pick, Manroop playing in a US prep school, and the Sr boys high school basketball season about to start.
And all these manroop posts come BEFORE the start of the Sr boys basketball season, I know once the season starts posts about the great teams and players in BC will start filling these forums, so why not talk about manroop now since he just played in his tournament in the states.

I can honestly say, one of the reasons i found Hooplife was looking for info on a player I wanted to know more about, and that was "Manroop Clair", the thought of seeing what a BC player could do against top notch competititon was exciting to me.
So does that mean posting about topics I find interesting and exciting (i.e Manroop) to me make some sort of Manroop homer? If it does than I'm fine with that, I'll continue to post about topics that I find excite me, I love basketball and will continue to encourage others to post any topics that get them excited about the game (Manroop related or not)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 am

And the Manroop Clair drama continues...

@Tsbiet BREAKING NEWS: #NPH #7-ranked 2013 Canadian, Manroop Clair will NOT enroll @ Trent. He visits Huntington Prep tomorrow. @NorthPoleHoops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:12 pm

JrCoachS wrote:
And the Manroop Clair drama continues...

@Tsbiet BREAKING NEWS: #NPH #7-ranked 2013 Canadian, Manroop Clair will NOT enroll @ Trent. He visits Huntington Prep tomorrow. @NorthPoleHoops

Hmm.. very interesting. Not sure how all this movement will do to Manroops game physically and mentally, it must be a roller coaster for the kid, going from one school to the next and to the next. But if he ends up attending Huntington Prep it will be an excellent chance and a whole lotta more exposure for him to be seen. Not sure who's currently playing PG for Huntington but they do have studs on the wings and off-guard positions, so if Manroop can man the point it would be a chance to helm one of the best high school teams in the North America.

Keep us posted as tweets get posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair headed to...    Today at 1:53 am

Back to top Go down

Manroop Clair headed to...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next