HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

This Weekend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:05 am

I didn't say the nbiaa forced the two tier system on us, I said the nbiaa is killing some sports with the new "one year with less than eight teams" rule. That wasn't voted on. There were only 7 AA JV girls teams this year (8 if you count McAdam who only played exibition) and not one from the east or north. If SJDA doesn't register next year and they probably won't that sport is gone too! That's great that we have you people committed to your programs but something isn't working iin other parts because where are all the teams? Can someone please explain it to me? By the way please don't say the A and AA schools voted for the change as a group. ONE A school voted for the change...just ONE. That was Caledonia and they had two votes and if you do the quick math that carried the vote. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 am

I knew that I could ruffle a few feathers on here........No Disrespect to Sugarloaf or their fans.........the better team won,There's your apology....I know they are just as passionate about the game as we are down south.....That being said...Hockey is the number 1 sport in the north, I don't think you can disagree with that......Campo,McAdam,Harvey,Grand Manan are all old "A" schools and basketball is THE sport.........this is the "hoosier" part of the province.

We need a similar playoff system to what Maine has to get more schools in the hunt.........but lets keep the shot clock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Next year will be yet another year with change,especially for those of us in Boiestown and Doaktown.I feel it is a very positive change for everyone involved,players,students,coaches etc.... With the combination, Doaktown atheletes will now have a chance to play a sport that has long been forgotten by their former school and Boiestown will gladly be open to welcoming as many athletes that want to play, thus making our new school more competitive. No offense to Doaktown, but when was the last time they were competitive at anything???
It'll b a great chance for both schools to come together and teach pone another new things about sport that the other maybe never knew. I am excited to see the caliber of athletes that will come out of Doaktown that has been hidden away due to having limited options for sports.

The nbiaa will benefit aswell, with a bigger population, we will most likely have enough atheletes for jv teams and we will finally be able to establish a middle school system that we have been without for way to long!

So next year is the birth of Central New Brunswick Academy(not excited about the name) and a farwell to UMRHS and DCHS, welcome NIGHTHAWKS and long live the BOAS and PANTHERS!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:25 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:
..the two tier , 3 tier , 4 tier debate is a contentious one and there are a lot of arguments on both sides of the issue.....a couple of things have been forgotten in the debate...
the decision to go to two tiers was made by Coaches / AD s of high schools in NB. Not by the the NBIAA exec , not by superintendents , not by AAA schools. The vote passes 41-38...that means that former A and AA schools wanted the change....it was not forced on us ...it was voted on by us legally and democratically......
I don't know why everyone is so upset with the "GIANTS- 300kids" like Dalhousie....they gave away two provincial banners (and not like their gym is full of them ) because they thought it was more important to challenge their athletes to be elite players than to win banners with little challenge. I don't think it is fair to insult them because they are going back to the division they are supposed to be in because of cost , travel and ability to compete.
MacAdam (Grand Manan , Petticodiac) have had powerhouses before , do you think they would ever put player development ahead of collecting banners...???
Warrior you've got school spirit , I'll give you that , but you are blaming the wrong folks on this two tier thing....and critcizing programs like SSHS's and DRHS's just because they are good is low and uncalled for. These schools are good becuase their kids work hard and practice and develop their skills . They work on their game in the off season and on their own time. There are lots of schools " Giants" that play AAA because of population that would not win a AA banner...criticizing schools for being good because of their size is misguided at best....schools are good because of their programs not because of their size...DRHS's success in AAA the last two years is proof of that....

First, GM is accused of 'throwing' games, now we are accussed of 'collecting' banners....what a joke. This shows you know nothing of GM basketball.

For your information, a few years back, GM moved up from 'A' to 'AA' just like 'mighty' Dalhousie (from 'AA' to "AAA'), GM played in the 'AA' final vs. Woodstock. Like 'mighty' Dalhousie, GM could have stayed in 'A' and won a another banner. So stop this nonsense.

Size makes a difference - depth. The GM junior boys have made the finals the last two years....losing to 'AAA' Bathurst by 20, and this year to Sugarloaf by 24. I was told each of these teams had players who could be playing senior. Well, GM doesn't have a luxury like that, if you are good enough to play senior, thats what you do, no matter what grade you are in. In fact, next year, GM might have an 8th grader playing senior. So, don't tell me size doesn't matter, it does.

Schools with 300+ do seem like GIANTS to schools with 100 or less.

How many banners has Bathurst and Sugarloaf won, while playing in their 'former' class ?? You know, schools of similar size?? Uh...huh.

I'm all about competition...I think its great that Tobique Valley and Devon Park are playing at the AC. But, I believe in 'FAIR' competition....and really, its not. You tell me that Bathurst with an enrollment of 650+ going up against Campobello with an enrollment of 75? is fair ?? C'mon lets get real...

One last thing....on GM, we love our basketball....sometimes we even 'shoot hoops' just to 'shoot hoops'...not really worrying about 'collecting' banners...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilJaxsun

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Pat Mcnaughton best player in AA? I think so!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:21 pm

[quote="GM Breaker '84-'88

Size makes a difference - depth.

How many banners has Bathurst and Sugarloaf won, while playing in their 'former' class ?? You know, schools of similar size?? Uh...huh.

. You tell me that Bathurst with an enrollment of 650+ going up against Campobello with an enrollment of 75? is fair ?? C'mon lets get real...

[/quote]

Depth...... DRHS had a grand total of 18 kids in it`s basketball program this year (8 varsity and 10 JV). They will be receiving a total of 3 kids from it`s feeder schools for next year ......... yeah they`re just drowning in depth

Can`t say about BHS but of the top of my head I know that Sugarloaf won at least 2 provincial championships in the 80`s (pre AC) and went to the AC in 95 or 96 but lost.

Everyone knows the situation with BHS last year wasn`t fair but also realizes it was a one time anomoly caused by the accident and the change in levels from 3 to 2 occurring at the same time. It really doesn`t apply to any other situation happening before or after
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:10 pm

You know GM ..maybe I don't know as much about GM basketball as I should but I do know enough about it that your crapping on Bathurst High for what they did after what they went through , (a low and uncalled for statement ) is not refleective of the people of GM , just your ignorance!
You can crap on me all you want but to crap on them is just wrong. It was a one time anomally and if you need to justify your program that way , then it is you I feel sorry for.
And I can guarantee you this ,everyone associated with that city, that school and that program , would gladly give that banner to Campobello , GM and anyone else who wants it , just have any even one of those kids back...
You go ahead and protest with all those other small minded small schools who now have to play Giants of 300 kids.....hell I heard there was even a petition started by one of the small schools in the western conference to not allow Gillis to play at DP and force her to go back to AAA.....
You guys may believe the North is Hockey Country but that is not true...they have been playin b-ball up there at a very high level for a very long time...there have been several players on CIS and ACAA teams over the past 20 yrs that played their high school ball in the North....you don't need to like them , or even consider them part of your little basketball universe of which you are the center....but they deserve a little respect , becuase they got to where they are by working at it and paying the price...not by population....
It is certainly easier to complain than it is to get better...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:29 pm

The thing that bothers me about all this banner talk is that everyone is so wrapped up in winning banners. If that is how you dictate success then you will be disappointed nearly every year. Winning a banner can be an amazing acomplishment for a team, but it isn't what defines the success of your program. I know many schools that have turned out great players and great teams over the years and don't have a banner to show for it. There are many teams that lost this weekend and are not competing for a banner. Does this mean that their season is a failure. If you spend your whole season worrying about winning a banner you will never learn to appreciate the true success that your team accomplishes. I can think of dozens and dozens of teams that have seen success this year and their season is now over. That is just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller MW8

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:53 pm

I think that some of these teams that have come close to banners or even won one in the past 10 years think its guna happen every year, they feel they have won once its gunna happen every year but thats not how it works. thats where some of the disappointmet comes from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilJaxsun

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:56 pm

SSHS looks like they will have three banners by 2012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallNow

PostSubject: UMRHS has had one of the best years of Basketball in a long time... The players on this team would defintely agree that this year was a GREAT SUCCESS.. And they don't have a banner...   Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

[quote="Hoosier fan"]The thing that bothers me about all this banner talk is that everyone is so wrapped up in winning banners. If that is how you dictate success then you will be disappointed nearly every year. Winning a banner can be an amazing acomplishment for a team, but it isn't what defines the success of your program. I know many schools that have turned out great players and great teams over the years and don't have a banner to show for it. There are many teams that lost this weekend and are not competing for a banner. Does this mean that their season is a failure. If you spend your whole season worrying about winning a banner you will never learn to appreciate the true success that your team accomplishes. I can think of dozens and dozens of teams that have seen success this year and their season is now over. That is just my two cents.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riverman93

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 pm

That's saying a lot that sshs is going to win until 2012 they have'nt even one. DP is not going to roll over. There are too many good teams out there to say that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 am

I think looking ahead to 2012 is a bit of stretch. Especially since no one knows what league they'll be in after 2010-2011.

Even assumming things stay the same. SSHS does have a strong core but Harvey only graduates 1, McAdam only graduates 1 and its two best are 10th graders, DP loses only 1 of its two allstars and keeps two thirds of its team Grand Manan has a some great 9 and 10's and their best Varsity players this year do not graduate.

Dalhousie is coming back to AA as well.

As exciting as this years final is going to be people should not look ahead to far. You might miss something!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:29 am

Look at St.Stephen Spartans( Sr. Boys), Best team that school has had in years.... competed well against everyone in ``AAA``and they getted bounced out by Leo Hayes in the first round of regionals........to me that must be very disheartning.....their season was a successful one but it must leave that team with bitter feelings about our provincial format......As far as I know they were one the schools that voted for the change.........It will be interesting to see how they will vote next time around..... just sayin`
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:37 am

St Stephen was an excellent team, belonged in AAA. I am sure they are not the only team feeling bad about being out of the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Look . . . I totally get that people want to win. On the court or even in a game a scrabble I'm about the win.

That being said we can't make decisions about what leagues look like or how sport (in our case basketball) in our province can improve at a learning to compete level in terms of:

A) Did everyone who cared enough to try get a championship.
B) Did people who didn't try as hard, manage to compete with schools who did.
C) Did everyone get their cake and eat it too.

Yet most of the arguments I hear about the problems with the current classifications have to do with people who feel like they should win and didn't or "can't" because the teams they are losing too now are doing more, have more, etc. Or I hear complaints about the score differences in games with well coached, hard working kids, who are great basketbal players vs. nice kids who are just trying to play basketball.

You can't have 76 champions and not everyone is going to be as good as everyone else.

I do have concerns over teams or schools dropping out because they've got no where to play. (That isn't entirely true either there are places to play they just don't want to play there, but I do understand school's hesitancy in some cases).

Its simple! Play! If you want to win do more then teams who beat you. You can't control height, so be stronger, faster, more skilled, play tougher d and be harder working. Spend more time in the gym then other people if you want to win, don't come with "we should be able to win doing what we're doing to reward our kids" and then complain because your stuck with someone who does more. You know what participation ribbons for lazy kid with doritos hanging out of their mouth, tripping over hurdles because their mommy and daddy make them play so everyone leaves with something, are not a part of high school sport.

I never hear our provincial team coaches complaining about how Ont has this, or BC has that. Maybe Canada Basketball should set up Midget Championships in tiers based on provincial population and economic growth.

Is the system perfect. No. If you find one that is let me know. Would different systems get different results for different sets of schools. You bet. Why not teach our kids to compete at the highest level they can and be proud of their growth. Rahter then help them build in excuses.

Just sayin . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Other teams like Caliedonia will alos be strong next season, I dont think they loose anyone and they were really starting to compete hard at the end of the season. Another team is Cambridge Narrows the kids have began to relize what hard work really is, and what it takes to compete and win. They graduate 1 starter and there 6th man but still have three solid players reuturning, plus Bradley Hovey.

I think the east is going to be strong next season and was probably the second hardest division to play in this year behind the south.

But anyways with my weekend predictions I look for DP girls to win, SSHS guys to win the AA. And in AAA look for Riverview to walk away with it, while FHS pulls off a close game aginst WHS. And on sunday I think the south/west boys and girls will get a sweep on the All Star Games.

CoachDJR wrote:
I think looking ahead to 2012 is a bit of stretch. Especially since no one knows what league they'll be in after 2010-2011.

Even assumming things stay the same. SSHS does have a strong core but Harvey only graduates 1, McAdam only graduates 1 and its two best are 10th graders, DP loses only 1 of its two allstars and keeps two thirds of its team Grand Manan has a some great 9 and 10's and their best Varsity players this year do not graduate.

Dalhousie is coming back to AA as well.

As exciting as this years final is going to be people should not look ahead to far. You might miss something!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbball

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:00 pm

hey breaker... i thought you said you weren't going to talk on here anymore for the beney comments.. thats one thing but to take a preverbial "lowblow" at bathurst after what they went through?...come on now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: CoachDJR   Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:17 pm

So what are you sayin' Coach DJR...... drop all classification and everybody moves up to "AAA"...........Maybe thats what we should do.......all the GIANTS would surely love that!! After a few years of that system we all would have to drive to Fredericton, Moncton or St.John just to watch a high school game..... I agree there is no easy solution but this current system is eventually gonna kill small school sports...... Bring back class "A","AA" and the top teams will move up.....It was'nt broke so don't fix it.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Once a Warrior... wrote:
but this current system is eventually gonna kill small school sports...... .

I hear this said a fair bit. Particularly by small schools. Explain to me how the current system is killing small school sport . . . I'm not trying to be an @$$ i just don't think I'm understanding . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

I gotta admit, the new system is growing on me. I can't remember when we had a more competitive season than this year. Teams are improving more and more every year and this season was proof of that.

Dalhousie drops down next year, I see this as a chance for teams to improve that much more with another competitive team arriving in AA.

My advice, start young in middle school, get a roots system started, develope your players, open the gym in the summer, send your kids to camp. If you don't put in the effort to improve, then you don't deserve to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:03 am

CoachDJR wrote:
Once a Warrior... wrote:
but this current system is eventually gonna kill small school sports...... .

I hear this said a fair bit. Particularly by small schools. Explain to me how the current system is killing small school sport . . . I'm not trying to be an @$$ i just don't think I'm understanding . . .

Because anytime a sport has less than 8 teams in one year the sport folds - we saw it in Jr. AA boys Soccer, Jr AA Boys Volleyball and we will see it in Jr AA Girls basketball next year. The small schools cannot compete against AAA schools and when they are forced the games are completely lopsided. The NBIAA is doing a great job in making their job easier by cutting programs - 1st dropping tha A school designation and then when it could not get rid of sports through voting (Golf, baseball,etc) it put in a rule (I beleive through the executive and not voted on at the AGM) that dropped sports if it had less than 8 teams after 1 year. Congrats NBIAA on promoting participation and sportsmanship to the small schools!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:00 am

20yearcoach wrote:
[

Because anytime a sport has less than 8 teams in one year the sport folds - we saw it in Jr. AA boys Soccer, Jr AA Boys Volleyball and we will see it in Jr AA Girls basketball next year. The small schools cannot compete against AAA schools and when they are forced the games are completely lopsided. The NBIAA is doing a great job in making their job easier by cutting programs - 1st dropping tha A school designation and then when it could not get rid of sports through voting (Golf, baseball,etc) it put in a rule (I beleive through the executive and not voted on at the AGM) that dropped sports if it had less than 8 teams after 1 year. Congrats NBIAA on promoting participation and sportsmanship to the small schools!!

My wife must be right . . I really don't get it sometimes. This is one of those times.

I understand that teams would rather have a AA JV league, and a AA JV banner. IF they had enough teams they would, but they don't. Is it a great regulation probably not, but is it killing sports . . . that seems a little over the top.

Any team that wants to play can.

They can play AAA and get that much better for next year. I would think kids who played JV vs AAA competition would be that much more prepared for AA varsity.

If they are really worried about the big bad 9th and 10th graders from the big city, then they can register exhibition and play all the teams they would normally play. Heck they could even have some host a tournament at the end of the year like WHS exhibition and Fredericton Exh are doing. You could even get all the AA jv teams to register exhibition with you and play a full slate of home and aways.

All your missing is a NBIAA provided provincial provincial banner, and if a banner to hang on a wall or lack there of for jv sports is going to be the undoing of rural town NB sports then I'm shocked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 am

Coach you are obviously from a AAA school who does not have the issues or sees the issues as the rest of the small schools in which I am taling about. We all promote our teams and sports and winning is not the goal but to improve and to have soemthing to shoot for. It is also hard to get the volunteers (to drive, to coach, to score keep, to host tournaments) when the team is an exhibition team not to mention getting other schools to play against you. To be lumped into the AAA loop does not make sense - let it be a AA loop and not have a banner as long as it is recognized by the NBIAA as a viable sport b/c once it isn't (Jr. Boys V'ball and Soccer) it takes God knows how long to get it recognized again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 am

Your sarcasm is not appreciated by many including myself DJR. Your wife is right about something you don't get it. Former A schools cannot compete year in and year out in a sport like soccer because they physically don't have the numbers. However, because a couple drop out for a single year then the whole division will be dropped forever! Brilliant. Some ADs from the south are putting a motion together to have this rule reviewed year by year and if enough teams exist then the division goes. If not it doesn't go. Playing AAA is not an option. Harvey tried it a couple years ago in soccer and were embarrassed and had to ask the nbiaa permission to drop out because the scores were so bad. We tried to ask the nbiaa if we could have AA jv boys volleyball this year and the answer was no. Why, because there wasn't enough teams last year. To hell with last year, we have a bunch of schools who want to play this year! Therefore a few teams will play exibition with each other and call it a season I guess. It will be interesting to hear you next year when your jv girls basketball team plays with the southern conference AAA teams. Then again they could always play exibition.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Today at 7:18 pm

Back to top Go down

This Weekend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next