HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

This Weekend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 am

20yearcoach wrote:
Coach you are obviously from a AAA school who does not have the issues or sees the issues as the rest of the small schools in which I am taling about. We all promote our teams and sports and winning is not the goal but to improve and to have soemthing to shoot for. It is also hard to get the volunteers (to drive, to coach, to score keep, to host tournaments) when the team is an exhibition team not to mention getting other schools to play against you. To be lumped into the AAA loop does not make sense - let it be a AA loop and not have a banner as long as it is recognized by the NBIAA as a viable sport b/c once it isn't (Jr. Boys V'ball and Soccer) it takes God knows how long to get it recognized again.

See i knew if I worked this out long enough it would be clear. This is the issue that I didn't clearly understand. Thanks to posts here and some cleverly thought up emails with links I now see the real issue.

I was under the impression that once a sport was dropped it was from that calendar year, but if the next year you had enough teams it simply went again. After reading the rules while that could happen, once a sport is cancelled it appears to get it back you need to regsiter it as new activity. There is no procedure for ressurecting a cancelled one. This seems wrong to me.

If years you had 8 you played in a league and years you didn't you didn't have a league was the rule it would make more sense. The idea of having to jump through hoops to get a league back with no quarantee doesn't seem right. Glad the AD's are coming up with a proposal to try to remedy that.

Rudas wrote:
It will be interesting to hear you next year when your jv girls basketball team plays with the southern conference AAA teams. Then again they could always play exibition.........

Things I could say here:

A) As previously stated I was not aware that the drop of the sport was permanent and of the difficulties restablishing a league."

B) I assume playing AAA jv teams will be very similar to when we played some of those same teams in old AA jv a few years ago, although now we'll play more of them.

C)I'm glad you know we're having a JV team next year because I'm not sure yet.

D)We could play exhibition? Or AAA JV? OR Midget? Or Club ball which ever helps our kids, the program and basketball in general the most.

E) (I could take the high road and not respond at all . . . but how does that generate conversation.)

Last edited by CoachDJR on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Now do you understand coachdjr...........thank you 20year coach and rudas for trying to explain the point i was making.....Bigger schools just do not understand the numbers we are dealing with......how many kids would have graduated from Campo last year 8-10 kids maybe.....are they still competing......yes for now, but if they drop off they could be done along with alot of small schools..........we tried an 8 game exhibition schedule for soccer against registered teams we ended up playing a total of 3 games because if the weather does'nt co-operate and you have to re-schedule these games the registered teams can't fit you in..........maybe we should do what you make light of.....play intramurals...... give all our kids a medal and a bag of doritos.........thats not meant as a joke because thats what's gonna happen......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:49 pm

AAA schools do not get what it takes to run a program in a small predominately rural A school. We are told to work harder, improve our programs, you have seen all of the advice on this site. Try running a program, practice what have you with 7 or 8 players and then factor in sickness medical appointments or what have you. Would be interesting to see the break down of "the vote", which class voted how, and who voted for each school, AD or administrator. Since the reclassification Southern Vic has suddenly become a girls basketball power house......NOT..... nothing but a numbers game. While they were racking up their second consecutive title with their grade ten kids. RNS was laying a beating on the SV varsity girls with the RNS grade ten girls for the second time of the season. Perhaps if SV wants to measure up their new found strength in JV girls basketball they should put their title on the line against the RNS 9-10 girls and if that does not convince them they could challenge the young girls from GM. Same could be said for the Sugar Loaf boys, play a rematch with GM with GM using the 9-10 boys who were playing varsity. IT IS NOT A PROGRAM PROBLEM IT IS A NUMBERS PROBLEM. The grade 7 - 8 and weaker grade 9 girls who make up the JV program at traditional A schools are getting tired of getting beat up by schools who have the luxury of fielding 9 - 10 teams and if they get so discouraged they drop out it will affect these schools varsity programs in the near future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Although I do understand where the people posting from the smaller schools are coming from there is a couple of points I would like to make in response to Slam Dunk.
1. You can't blame a school for using grade 10's in their JV program, that is what JV is supposed to be.
2. A 9-12 high school (like Sugarloaf) cannot use grade 8's or lower on their JV team because they are not enrolled in that school. An example of this would be DRHS who may not be able to have a JV next year due to lack of players but cannot use grade 8's because Dal Middle School is considered a separate school even though it is in the same building. The choice is simple use 9's & 10's or have no team. Using lower grade kids is not an option.
3. I am sure Sugarloaf would be more than happy to take that rematch considering several of their top varsity players inclulding Pat McNaughton and Fraser Barnaby are also in grade 10.

There is no doubt that you are correct that the big schools in the big centers do not understand what it is like in the small rural schools. But it is also clear that you have no clue what it is like in the other schools cause they have their issues too. Different than yours but issues none the less.

It also amazes me that we have to be down on schools cause they are good. Sugarloaf was hardly mentioned last year but now that they have won a few games and made it to the AC they have become public enemy #1. Their good, get over it. They are gonna be good next year too and the year after that so you can hate them for 2 more years. Then (by looking at their feeder schools) they will be weak for a few years and everyone can like them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Once a Warrior...

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 pm

I agree with you 100% SlamDunk, I would like to see how every school voted. From what I understand alot of the "A" schools were not even at the AGM when this came up for a vote..If its voted on again we have to make our voices heard... make sure every school is present and accounted for.........if not the higher ups will decide it for us... like the last time!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Did not realize I was blaming schools for using grade 10 students. I was just stating that is a luxury that traditional A schools do not normally have and I believe it was only 2 or 3 years ago that the NBIAA changed the age for class A even allowing grade 10 students to play JV. As for hating Sugar Loaf? Know nothing about them. Good boys team, Girls team not so good? No doubt you have issues too. My point is that I believe the original AA teams which remain AA have not raised the level of their programs to now make them top teams as much so as they benifit from the reclass. Put St. Stephen and Dalhousie in this years AA and it is a different story.Personally I think 4 divisions has the most merit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 am

Once a Warrior... wrote:
From what I understand alot of the "A" schools were not even at the AGM when this came up for a vote..If its voted on again we have to make our voices heard... make sure every school is present and accounted for.........if not the higher ups will decide it for us... like the last time!!

I will state for the record that I do not like the 2 tier system and prefer the old 3 tier one BUT it seems to me that if a school , big or small, does not care enough to send a rep to the AGM to voive concerns and at least try to protect their schools interests then they deserve what they get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 am

Slam Dunk wrote:
Did not realize I was blaming schools for using grade 10 students. I was just stating that is a luxury that traditional A schools do not normally have and I believe it was only 2 or 3 years ago that the NBIAA changed the age for class A even allowing grade 10 students to play JV. As for hating Sugar Loaf? Know nothing about them. Good boys team, Girls team not so good? No doubt you have issues too. My point is that I believe the original AA teams which remain AA have not raised the level of their programs to now make them top teams as much so as they benifit from the reclass. Put St. Stephen and Dalhousie in this years AA and it is a different story.Personally I think 4 divisions has the most merit.

See just when I start to sympathize with at least part of the issues people are worried about someone comes at me with this stuff.

Did schools that are now larger AA schools beneift, sure they get to not face teams that are making the playoffs and provincial finals as AAA schools while they try to develop their programs and can now do it at a level where everyone seems to be at a similar competitive level. Most of the league games I saw were pretty competitive in each area. There are some anamolies (St. Andrews, Devon Park was significantly stronger than the rest of the west) But its not like the top 4 teams in each conferecne are 50+ points better then the non playoff teams.

Lets keep in mind Nackawic, ESA, JCHS . . . were all old AA schools . . . and no one is complaining about getting stuck with teams that aren't winning as much in their new leagues.

The schools you point out Sugarloaf and SVHS have done TONNES of stuff to improve their programs I'm sorry. In the SVHS area they've really developped their minor program and in the last 3-5 years their mini teams particularly on the girls side have been very strong.Sugarloaf has been part of growing northern basketball community including places like DRHS and BHS who use opportunities to compete against each other and as travel teams in the summer to improve. I know at other places like JMA and our school in St. George we have people busting their butt to try make kids better.

I get that the JV thing is a bit of an issue, particularly if once you lose a league you have to fight just to get it back. That being said JV basketball is not the end all the be all to player development. DRHS, arguably one the most successful recent small school stories in our province, hasn't had JV (until this year) for a while. They had varsity teams and club midget teams in the winter making a northern midget league with other schools that felt the same way. This way their 9-10's play varsity and get age level competition. I'm sure schools could get together and decide to have middle school/bantam leagues in their area or even midget ones and have everyone 9-12 playing varsity. IF numbers are such an issue.

I also hear the people . . i get that its about volunteers, meaningful experience, retaining coaches, and their is some tradition and pride thrown in there too. Life is 10 % what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. My personal feeling for me, my program, my kids is we need to spend more time worried about the 90% then the 10%.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 am

FYI...there were 69 of NB's 76 high schools at the AGM...only 7 missing...remember that schools with reps on the exec committee get two votes..the exec member gets to vote and the school rep gets to vote....
the JV rule is a factor but there are ways around it...the midget league they ran in the north for the last 3 yrs (before the last one) is an example. Schools that don't have numbers for JV or didn't want to travel put teams in this league(some schools played both to get more games) and they played a 20 game sched using players from grades 7-10. It meant small schools playing big schools , Dalhosuie ,SSHS playing Bathurst and ESN ,JMH and/or mvhs....but they played and players developed....there were issues such as no school support(financially) and nbiaa was always ragging on teams about using school uniforms for these games (by the way any team at BNB midget or juvenile provincials that are wearing a school uniform is subject to suspension by the NBIAA) Dalhousie was warned twice by the NBIAA exec about doing that during summer games( Sussex camp , Loyalist , Bon Ami tournament)...but other than that the leagues were quite successful and now almost evry team that was in the league has JV programs running...
just sayin....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 am

Just a thought.....if we stay with the 2 tier system, AA & AAA, would it make sense to pay more attention to our JV programs? Why not have the JV finals also be held at the Aitken Centre or St. John...whereever it may be. Instead of the final 8, it would be the final 12. This would give our 9's & 10's more experience and playing time in turn making the varsity programs stronger. Alot of the time in a smaller school especially, the JV team is weak as the Varsity teams have 1st pick from grades 9-12. A chance to go to the big show should entice schools to pay more attention to thier JV program, evolving their kids into better players. Not all schools would be willing to do this and that is fine but their program would suffer in the future as their players would not be as ready. A chance to play for a tilte in a large coliseum in front of hundreds of people would mean just as much to a JV player or coach as it would a Varsity one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Now that would be a big mistake. Look at this weekend as an example. All the middle school provincials are on this weekend too. This makes parents miss games. Then throw JV on top of that and you will miss even more one way or the other. Where would we get enough refs to scream at all at once?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Sincerely Yours wrote:
Now that would be a big mistake. Look at this weekend as an example. All the middle school provincials are on this weekend too. This makes parents miss games. Then throw JV on top of that and you will miss even more one way or the other. Where would we get enough refs to scream at all at once?

That's a pretty small minded reply! I'm sure that could be worked out.....Middle school provincials should not be on the same weekend as Aitken anyhow. I could never understand that. Surely BNB & NBIAA could work something out there if someone really tried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 pm

celtic wrote:

That's a pretty small minded reply! I'm sure that could be worked out.....Middle school provincials should not be on the same weekend as Aitken anyhow. I could never understand that. Surely BNB & NBIAA could work something out there if someone really tried.

Really we think that is going to work. When in other threads we've got schools being threatened with NBIAA suspension for allowing uniforms to be used by local club teams. When BNB couldn't host a tournament for teams that didn't make the playoffs last year, because NBIAA wouldn't saction it.

I'm not sure things are as easy as something could be worked out.

That being said the whole JV thing is a mess the more and more a look into it. At one point it was clearly lableled who could and could not be a JV player. Grade 9-10 etc, with smaller schools being allowed to use younger players so long as they were in the same building.

Last time I checked the NBIAA website (2 minutes ago) Varsity was for 9-12 and JV was for players "in their first 2 years of high school".

So if your high school is 7-12 or 9-12 does that mean the same thing. Who is keeping track of a kids who show up to a school in grade 10 but have already done 2 years of grade 9 at another school.

And now we can't have or keep leagues because some years we get 7 teams and other years we get 12.

Forget organizing a huge championship lets just see if we can figure out who needs to play where . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Holy jumpins there are alot of negative comments out there....seems like a bunch of bitchin to me and no real solutions. I was always under the assumption that JV meant gr 9 & 10 as middle school is grade 6, 7 & 8. When u hit grade 9, you are considered to be in High school and that is why the varsity rules include those 4 grades. If some schools feel they need to bring some players up from lower grade to play Jv, that is up to them....they are just hurting the middle school program by doing that but really what the hell does it matter to us? The other comment was about policing a player who fails and repeats grade 10 or whatever.....how many times does this happen and again, what the hell does it matter to us? I imagine the uniform is an insurance thing more than anything as i believe the players insurance is thru the NBIAA for the school teams and if a player were to get hurt wearing a school uniform, the insurance may have to indemnify.

As far as the 7 teams or 12 teams, etc, i can guarantee you more JV teams in everyones area when there is a big final. BNB can host as many finals as they wish, you just have to register with BNB and i guess wear a different uniform. They are 2 different identities. Trust me, I know NBIAA has it's problems but instead if complaining about it, why can't everyone try to make it better and stronger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Weekend   Today at 8:05 pm

Back to top Go down

This Weekend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7