HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
39forever

PostSubject: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Since Boas did a top 10 last year and doesn't seem to be active this year, I will attempt a top 8 this year just to be a little different. Take into some consideration it is very early, some injuries to some key players in some early results could make for some misleading scores. The one thing I think will be hard to argue are the #1 seeds in boys and girls, after that, it's pretty much a crap shoot. Feel free to tear my observations apart, just looking forward to the banter.

Boys
------
1.Devon Park
2.Harvey
3.McAdam
4.Hartland
5.Campobello
6. John Caldwell
7. Grand Manan
8. Peticodiac

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan
2. John Caldwell
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. Stanley
6. Hartland
7. Campobello
8. Tobique (haven't heard for sure that they are having a team but if they do, I'll put them here)

Keep in mind, not many results in yet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller20

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Tobique Valley does have a team this year with what i've seen with them beating fundy by 15 or so. They have a decent team led by a great point guard whos quick and has an awesome shot. The forwards seems pretty good too and with all the players in grade 11 except for one they could be a contender again next year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:42 am

39forever wrote:
Since Boas did a top 10 last year and doesn't seem to be active this year, I will attempt a top 8 this year just to be a little different. Take into some consideration it is very early, some injuries to some key players in some early results could make for some misleading scores. The one thing I think will be hard to argue are the #1 seeds in boys and girls, after that, it's pretty much a crap shoot. Feel free to tear my observations apart, just looking forward to the banter.

Boys
------
1.Devon Park (Dominant)
2.Harvey (Always a bridesmaid, hardly ever a bride)
3.McAdam (Dominating the league again, I see)
4.Hartland (Good to see you return to the top)
5.Campobello (Hope you stay up here, cuz)
6. John Caldwell (Haven't seen you since the 90's)
7. Grand Manan (Scrappy, but enough scoring to compete?)
8. Peticodiac (How the mighty have fallen...you know it's bad when they can't spell your school name correctly)

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan (107,104,94,86,83) Should be renamed the 'Machine'
2. John Caldwell (Where did you come from? Are you lost?)
3. Caledonia (Very good girls program for a small school)
4. Harvey (Green and Yellow make me physically ill)
5. Stanley (Decent girls program....but 107 is too many to give up)
6. Hartland (Deserves this ranking based on reputation)
7. Campobello (Dont think you'll stay here, prove me wrong)
8. Tobique (haven't heard for sure that they are having a team but if they do, I'll put them here)(Methinks you should be a bit higher)

Keep in mind, not many results in yet.

There...that should ruffle some feathers...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rap$tar

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:36 am

does anyone know details about the cambridge narrows tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:02 pm

From what I have watched so far it is a 3 horse race in the "A" girls.

Anyone of Caledonia, Tobique and Jon Caldwell could win.

To have Tobique way down at the bottom of this list is shocking to me, they have a good group of grade 11's returning, and they will be strong again.

Jon Caldwell has a great group of grade 10's that will challenge to get to Harbour Station, so look for them to be strong for the next 3 years.

Caledonia has athletic girls and will now be a legitimate contender with the addition of their new coach.

But who knows. I had Tobique over everyone by 20 last year, and we all know how that turned out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:16 pm

baller24 wrote:

To have Tobique way down at the bottom of this list is shocking to me, they have a good group of grade 11's returning, and they will be strong again.

Jon Caldwell has a great group of grade 10's that will challenge to get to Harbour Station, so look for them to be strong for the next 3 years.

Caledonia has athletic girls and will now be a legitimate contender with the addition of their new coach.

But who knows. I had Tobique over everyone by 20 last year, and we all know how that turned out.

You realize Grand Manan beat Caledonia by 18 already this year, with GM playing all 12 girls nearly equal time. TV lost almost everything they had last year. Caldwell will be strong, you are right. But to not factor GM in your "3 horse race"? You haven't seen much ball yet apparently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:53 pm

baller24 wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "will now be a legitimate contender with the addition of their new coach."? I have no idea what HE is like as a coach, but I can assure you the coaches he is replacing were top notch. Matter of fact, that program is what it is because of them. Of course, since you don't seem to have heard of the girls from Grand Manan, why should I be surprised by the rest of your post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Coach Mac, I knew if I watched this site long enough you would eventually say something that I agree with. Well said!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Slam Dunk wrote:
Coach Mac, I knew if I watched this site long enough you would eventually say something that I agree with. Well said!

haha....thanks, I think.
Back to top Go down
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Coachmac wrote:
baller24 wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "will now be a legitimate contender with the addition of their new coach."? I have no idea what HE is like as a coach, but I can assure you the coaches he is replacing were top notch. Matter of fact, that program is what it is because of them. Of course, since you don't seem to have heard of the girls from Grand Manan, why should I be surprised by the rest of your post.

Agreed Coachmac, the Caledonia coaches up til now were developing a very strong group and head them set up to be top 2 this year for sure. I was surprised to hear he/they had been replaced, big shoes to fill.
......and to not even know the GM girls exist......where on earth has he been, certainly not in the New Brunswick basketball world, that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PG#11

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:34 pm

rap$tar wrote:
does anyone know details about the cambridge narrows tournament?

1st Belisle
2nd cambridge narrows
3rd chipman
4th blackvill

The standings were the same for both the guys and girls teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 am

Boys top 8 looks pretty good to me.from the score I have seen though, mcadam hasn't overly impressed me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 pm

I would have to agree that both the boys and girls top 8 should pretty much be spot on....but it is early and I would expect GM boys to maybe move up the list for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Girls A   Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:42 pm

There is no sense to list a top 8 list for girls A.

The only question is who is going to lose in the final game at Harbour Station.

The little island in the Bay of Fundy is taking home the trophy.

I watched Jessica Brown in warm up. It is the only place where you can begin to determine how good she is, since no one seems to challenge her on the floor. Behind the back dribble, behind the back layup with a double pump to finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Boys A   Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 pm

If the Harvey boys can keep it together for a full game , they could be at the top.

They were blowing out Devon Park in the Rothesay tournament at the end of the first quarter (25-8 ish). The point guard for Harvey takes a stupid technical foul, coach benches him, Harvey cant move the ball and Devon Park starts a come back and wins the game easily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:33 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:

I watched Jessica Brown in warm up. It is the only place where you can begin to determine how good she is, since no one seems to challenge her on the floor. Behind the back dribble, behind the back layup with a double pump to finish.

Not sure that it is that cut and dry. John Caldwell is very strong. Caledonia lost to GM but didn't have their starting point guard, should tighten things up a bit. Don't count Harvey out either, they are young and talented and will be challenging for a spot as well. Harvey vs. John Caldwell this weekend should help us see how these teams stack up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BasketballFanNB

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:31 am

I believe Petitcodiac should be in at least the top 5. They are running though A teams. Matt Pickett? if that's how you spell his name correctly is putting up 40 + point a game from what I am hearing through the grape vine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am

BasketballFanNB wrote:
I believe Petitcodiac should be in at least the top 5. They are running though A teams. Matt Pickett? if that's how you spell his name correctly is putting up 40 + point a game from what I am hearing through the grape vine.

Not sure if beating Nackawic and Chipman constitutes "running through A teams".......call me when they play Devon Park, Harvey, McAdam or Hartland.......I hope Petty is back on track to be competitive again as I remember some great rivalries in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Boys A /AA Result   Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:04 am

The rebuilding Fundy program edged McAdam last night 74-70. The real story of the game was Brandon Moffat from McAdam. He scored 59 of their 70 points (I had this confirmed from two different sources).

Can anyone remember the last time someone scored 50+ points in boys basketball in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
The rebuilding Fundy program edged McAdam last night 74-70. The real story of the game was Brandon Moffat from McAdam. He scored 59 of their 70 points (I had this confirmed from two different sources).

Can anyone remember the last time someone scored 50+ points in boys basketball in the province.

Harvey has played McAdam twice with each team winning a game by 8 and Brandon scored +40 points both games and pretty effortlessly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:12 am

Justin corey scored 50 plus last year in. Game I remember.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:

Unfortunately, I do. It was Justin Corey from Minto, against us two years ago.
Back to top Go down
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:

Sounds good. And we can have Tobique Valley give them the trophy they won, last year, after it was declared a sure thing to win.

And BTW, I am in no way downplaying how good Jessica is.
Back to top Go down
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Coachmac wrote:
Sou_by_Souwest wrote:

Sounds good. And we can have Tobique Valley give them the trophy they won, last year, after it was declared a sure thing to win.

And BTW, I am in no way downplaying how good Jessica is.

Agreed, nobody (myself included) ever gave anyone a chance of beating Tobique last year. Let's just watch a good year of basketball and hope the best team wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Well based on the last two years I would not hang the banner in GM yet !! If we take a look back to two years ago Devon Park ( led by Brittany Gillis ) was the favorite by far to win. Last year Tobique Valley ( led by Hilary Goodine ) was favored to win, infact both were suppose to have a banner signing in december according to many on here including me. GM's chances have increased with the old A coming back and RNS moving up BUT and I meen BUT GM is nowhere near as good of a team as DP or TV had. Gillis was surounded by a solid core group as was Goodine. GM is no doubt the favorite but if another team like JCS or Caladonia slow down Brown can the rest of GM make up the difference??? Remember when it comes down to one game win or go home I would rather have 5 solid than 1 great. Two years ago TV beat DP with a team approach in which everyone scored. Last year RNS as a team out gunned TV at beat them at there own game. TV scored 81 points in regulation and lost in double overtime. When is the last time you seen a girls team score 81 and lose?? Harvey will improve as the year goes on as will others. GM's biggest problem for the past few years was there inability to stop big players in the post and although TV is young and only have 8 players they are very strong in the post. That is my opinion but based on last year me and 98% of the others on here was wrong. Remember it is always easier to prepare if you are the under dog !!! Good luck to all the teams !!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Today at 4:50 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next