HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Defense14

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Grand manan boys over McAdam by 2 points at the buzzer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:02 pm

I haven't posted in this thread for a while, there hasn't been a lot of movement in the top 8 boys and girls, but enough to warrant a revised list just the same.
Boys
------
1. Harvey (has to be the favorite right now)
2 .Grand Manan (not sure if they are this good, undefeated vs "A" teams right now, big home game vs Harvey on Thursday should tell us a lot)
3. Devon Park (West is tight, but I think they are going to sneak it out)
4. McAdam(not the McAdam of old, they will need to get it together to hold on to this spot)
5. John Caldwell (JC and Hartland are almost too close to call
6. Hartland
7. Belleisles (Belleisles and Peti are just as close)
8.Peti

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan (GM and JC are clearly 1 and 2, won't be anything different barring a huge collapse by one of them, altho Kim Wilson's Mcl is a big blow to GM)
2. John Caldwell (very strong and very young, which characteristic will prevail)
3. Caledonia (all alone in 3rd, Harvey is breathing down their neck)
4. Harvey (was that game against RNS really that close, if so, they could be a lot more improved than people think)
5. Tobique (very quiet lately, hard to judge)
6. Stanley (they have beaten the teams below them, lost to the teams above them, 'nuff said)
7. Hartland (shown glimpses of potential, but they aren't going to beat anybody above them)
8. Peti (will be fighting to hold on to a top 8 spot for the rest of the season, won't be going much higher than 7)

Let's see how this goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Boys:

1. Harvey
2. Devon Park
3. McAdam
4. Grand Manan
5. John Caldwell
6. Hartland
7. Caledonia
8. Belleisle

GM was lucky to beat McAdam...trailed most of the game, I think they will lose the return trip by more than a bucket...

Girls:

1. John Caldwell - unbeatable
2. Grand Manan - fading away
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV
6. Stanley
7. Petitcodiac
8. Hartland
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:47 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

Boys:

1. Harvey
2. Devon Park
3. McAdam
4. Grand Manan
5. John Caldwell
6. Hartland
7. Caledonia
8. Belleisle

GM was lucky to beat McAdam...trailed most of the game, I think they will lose the return trip by more than a bucket...

Girls:

3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV
6. Stanley
7. Petitcodiac
8. Hartland

May be right, may be wrong. Just got a score a sec ago that Campo with Tyler Howlett back lost to DP by 3, may have written them off a bit early.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:49 pm

That information is correct. Campobello lead the entire game, and Tyler barely played the second half due to foul trouble. If he could have stayed on the court they would have won. I guess that's how things go.

This was the first game I have had a chance to catch this year, I don't know if everyone was there for Devon Park but I have a hard time believing that they are one of the stronger teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:04 pm

39forever wrote:

Boys:

1. Harvey
2. Devon Park
3. McAdam
4. Grand Manan
5. John Caldwell
6. Hartland
7. Caledonia
8. Belleisle

Girls:

3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV
6. Stanley
7. Petitcodiac
8. Hartland

May be right, may be wrong. Just got a score a sec ago that Campo with Tyler Howlett back lost to DP by 3, may have written them off a bit early.

Probably best to get the results from the entire week and weekend before jumping into the rankings. Example. Tournament going on in Caledonia , boys section saw John Caldwell lose to Petiticodiac by ten. John Caldwell may not be overrated but definitely ranked too high . Grand Manan in girls was the pre-season favourite and to my knowledge are still undefeated in "A" girls. Until someone beats them I would suggest they stay #1. Too many factors enter when you try to compare scores between common opponents although sometimes that is all one can go by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:37 pm

It's just for fun and discussion....I don't take anybodys rankings to seriously. There are too many variables from week to week....who am I to say who is #1, or anyone else for that matter....its high school basketball and just about anything can happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: salisbury and bellisle   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Kids are funny,you never know what to expect from them.Salisbury senior boys cant beat petit or calidonia,but beat Bellisle in the salisbury tournament.Bellisle had their whole squad.Gotta love the kids
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:30 am

bball parent wrote:
Kids are funny,you never know what to expect from them.Salisbury senior boys cant beat petit or calidonia,but beat Bellisle in the salisbury tournament.Bellisle had their whole squad.Gotta love the kids

You are correct in saying that you never know what to expect..JMA JV boys beat Petty Varsity by 5pts this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:25 am

I always found every Monday to be the best day to do the countdown, that way you get a full week.

Harvey is definetly number one, after that it's anyones game this year, all teams are very close.Gonna be an action packed playoffs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Boas 98-02 wrote:
I always found every Monday to be the best day to do the countdown, that way you get a full week.

Harvey is definetly number one, after that it's anyones game this year, all teams are very close.Gonna be an action packed playoffs!

Yea, Monday or Tuesday is a better day to do it, but I was bored on a Saturday afternoon so I did one then, just for fun! I know there were games in the North and East that were going on, but besides DP, they aren't going to factor in to the top 4 spots anyway LOL! That ought to get a response!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Campobello should most definately be in the mix , id say they would fall in with teams from 4 - 6th spot . Belleisle is looking good on paper , but east conference is for the most part weaker than others and im expecting they wont be making past the regional tournament. Grand Manan '84-'88 i strongly believe isnt a resident or a former either . Not only my self would probably get the gig hes not relevant of the island and likes to degrade the teams . Kim Wilson will be back in the line up in less than 2 weeks so dont get kid yourself , GM shall remain in my opinion , number one for girls and at two for boys McAdam following with the close result from there match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 pm

CharlotteCountyBall wrote:
Campobello should most definately be in the mix , id say they would fall in with teams from 4 - 6th spot . Belleisle is looking good on paper , but east conference is for the most part weaker than others and im expecting they wont be making past the regional tournament. Grand Manan '84-'88 i strongly believe isnt a resident or a former either . Not only my self would probably get the gig hes not relevant of the island and likes to degrade the teams . Kim Wilson will be back in the line up in less than 2 weeks so dont get kid yourself , GM shall remain in my opinion , number one for girls and at two for boys McAdam following with the close result from there match.

Breaker '84-88 used to be an Grand Mananer, but isn't any more. I think I know what he's doing ny putting down on the GM girls, but you'd have to know him to appreciate it. The Lady Breakers are are stronger and deeper now than they were at the first of the year, "fading fast"?, I don't think so. Sharpe is running a quality program with a quality group of girls. She is trying to build a championship team for this year as well as a deep team for the future. I am not taking anything away from Caldwell, I think they and GM are neck and neck with them, with Caledonia right there and Harvey not far behind them. Should be a great 6 weeks.
Wilson will be back in 2-3 weeks, their starting center that was hurt and didn't play vs Campo this weekend will be back for the game vs Harvey on Thursday. If they can win out their league games and bring Caldwell to the rock for regionals, I like GM's chances. If Caldwell can beat them and send the Breakers over to the east for provincials, it will be a much tougher road to H.S.
On the boys side, McAdam lost in exibition play to Harvey again this weekend, I really believe that Harvey is clearly the top dog with GM and DP just below them, the other 5 or 6 below them could all coin flip. Campo has lost once to GM and once to RNS (both games without Howlett) in league play, it's going to be very tough for them to get higher than the 4th seed in the south. Let me just say they will be a ridiculously tough 4th seed, I wouldn't want to play them as the 1 seed from the west.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swballa

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Devon Park is not the 3rd best team in A. They lost to GM and Campo could have beat them yesterday, and i think McAdam is better than GM also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:38 pm

swballa wrote:
Devon Park is not the 3rd best team in A. They lost to GM and Campo could have beat them yesterday, and i think McAdam is better than GM also.
But Campo didn't beat them and McAdam did lose to GM, until that changes, standing are probably right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 am

Ummm....you would be incorrect. You think I would make up a screen name like that just to 'degrade' the teams? Really? Secondly, I bleed blue and gold(I still follow the teams and I live 2800 miles away)...but, I am a realist. A true test of a team is how they do on the road. The GM boys have won their games at home by very small margins. Lets see how they do on the road. If they play well, then they deserve a high ranking. It's quite simple actually.

As far as the girls go, I just like to tease 39forever cause he has a daughter on the team. You really think I believe that John Caldwell would beat GM by 30 on a neutral court?Hahaha. If the girls make it to Harbour Station I may very well fly home to see it. I'm not sure many people would do that.

If you need more proof - Mr. Andrew Sharkey was my high school coach, and my Dad was principal at GMHS for a few years, and at Canterbury before I was around.

Go Breakers!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Ummm....you would be incorrect. You think I would make up a screen name like that just to 'degrade' the teams? Really? Secondly, I bleed blue and gold(I still follow the teams and I live 2800 miles away)...but, I am a realist. A true test of a team is how they do on the road. The GM boys have won their games at home by very small margins. Lets see how they do on the road. If they play well, then they deserve a high ranking. It's quite simple actually.

As far as the girls go, I just like to tease 39forever cause he has a daughter on the team. You really think I believe that John Caldwell would beat GM by 30 on a neutral court?Hahaha. If the girls make it to Harbour Station I may very well fly home to see it. I'm not sure many people would do that.

If you need more proof - Mr. Andrew Sharkey was my high school coach, and my Dad was principal at GMHS for a few years, and at Canterbury before I was around.

Go Breakers!!

Like I said, you'd have to know Breaker '84-'88 to appreciate him, he love to instigate (as you can all tell), but he is a Breaker fan inside and out. It wouldn't surprise me if he WOULD fly home 2800 miles to watch them play.....maximum dollars!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Breaker may be a lot of things, but the validity of his Islander background isn't in question. I wish 1/10 of the people had the passion for their teams that he does. As for him degrading the teams, I and my team have borne the brunt of his attacks on numerous occasions. I can assure you, no one has come close to making me laugh out loud like he does, even when he is insulting me/us. I take them for what they are........and so do my players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
bball parent

PostSubject: Salisbury JV did not beat petitcodiac boys,Petit won by 6 or 8 .I was there.They gave them a good run though   Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:53 am

Metta Peace wrote:
bball parent wrote:

You are correct in saying that you never know what to expect..JMA JV boys beat Petty Varsity by 5pts this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: salisbury jv boys,a force to watch out for   Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:05 am

Salisbury jv gave the petit boys a run for their money last saturday in Calidonia,petit came out on top with the win.I was there.Man I am going to tell you when this jv team gets to senior,Calidonia will have their hands full.They are fast and well managed,and the defence is just unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:46 pm

bball parent wrote:
Salisbury jv gave the petit boys a run for their money last saturday in Calidonia,petit came out on top with the win.I was there.Man I am going to tell you when this jv team gets to senior,Calidonia will have their hands full.They are fast and well managed,and the defence is just unbelievable.

I stand corrected, Petty did win the game not JMA JV.Y ou are also correct about JMA in being very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: went for a drive   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Went down to Petit to watch them and Bellisle.After 3 overtimes Petit senior boys walked away with the win.Just a few points difference.An exabition game in Salisbury I would of liked to see,sent Calidonia senior boys home with a loss.Home court advantage is still alive and well. Still want to see Salisbury JV boys take on the senior boys,doubt Ogilvie will let that happen,lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defense14

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 pm

in league play.. mcadam over harvey boys by 20 and harvey girls over mcadam girl by only 13.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Defense14 wrote:
in league play.. mcadam over harvey boys by 20 and harvey girls over mcadam girl by only 13.

Wow, does that ever mess up the south standings, I had Harvey pegged as the heavy favorite to win it all, still think they stand a good chance, just makes things verrrrry interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 am

McAdam was ahead for most of the game by 15 to 20. Harvey couldn't get anything going. Oh, almost forgot...Moffitt got 48!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Today at 8:59 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next