HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 am

Defense14 wrote:
in league play.. mcadam over harvey boys by 20 and harvey girls over mcadam girl by only 13.

Boys score surprises me more than girls. I wasn't at either game. When MOffit has a big night they can beat anyone is in A I'm surprised by how much.

Harvey girls are clearly better than McAdam but don't play a real high octane sort of game all their games tend to be low scoring and controlled. Depending on how well they shot and how long they played the deeper end of their bench could contribute here.

Acutually looking at a lot of the scores in A and AA I think the final scores can be decieving, beacuse of tempo of play and the difference between most teams top 7-8 and their bottom 5-6 can be quite a wide skill/ experience gap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Nice win for McAdam! great game for Moffit! Here are the new rankings...heads or tails?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
We talkin bout practice

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm

With the loss to McAdam last night Harvey falls to 2-1. Grand Manaan is 5-0 and the two teams square off tonite on the island. No question the south is a very competative division (nothing new I know). All four teams have a possibility of placing 1st based on current standings. I am sure the stands will be packed with fans, should be a blast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 pm

We talkin bout practice wrote:
With the loss to McAdam last night Harvey falls to 2-1. Grand Manaan is 5-0 and the two teams square off tonite on the island. No question the south is a very competative division (nothing new I know). All four teams have a possibility of placing 1st based on current standings. I am sure the stands will be packed with fans, should be a blast.

Been a change in the schedule, the GM boys are travelling to Harvey on Feb 4th for that game, Harvey boys and girls are travelling to GM an Jan 29. GM boys are on Campobello tomorrow for what dhould be a great game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Grand Manan over Campobello 76-64 today and Devon Park hammered John Calwell. Devon Park will host the south/west regional tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 pm

39forever wrote:
I haven't posted in this thread for a while, there hasn't been a lot of movement in the top 8 boys and girls, but enough to warrant a revised list just the same.
Boys
------
1. Harvey (has to be the favorite right now)
2 .Grand Manan (not sure if they are this good, undefeated vs "A" teams right now, big home game vs Harvey on Thursday should tell us a lot)
3. Devon Park (West is tight, but I think they are going to sneak it out)
4. McAdam(not the McAdam of old, they will need to get it together to hold on to this spot)
5. John Caldwell (JC and Hartland are almost too close to call
6. Hartland
7. Belleisles (Belleisles and Peti are just as close)
8.Peti

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan (GM and JC are clearly 1 and 2, won't be anything different barring a huge collapse by one of them, altho Kim Wilson's Mcl is a big blow to GM)
2. John Caldwell (very strong and very young, which characteristic will prevail)
3. Caledonia (all alone in 3rd, Harvey is breathing down their neck)
4. Harvey (was that game against RNS really that close, if so, they could be a lot more improved than people think)
5. Tobique (very quiet lately, hard to judge)
6. Stanley (they have beaten the teams below them, lost to the teams above them, 'nuff said)
7. Hartland (shown glimpses of potential, but they aren't going to beat anybody above them)
8. Peti (will be fighting to hold on to a top 8 spot for the rest of the season, won't be going much higher than 7)

Let's see how this goes.

Well, a bit of a shake up in A this week, all results are in for the weekend as far as I know, let's stir up some trouble.
Boys
-----
1. Grand Manan - you can argue it if you want, I think they deserve it having beat Campo with Howlett in Campo, DP, and McAdam. Until an "A" school beats them, how can I put anybody ahead of them. A big couple of games next weekend vs McAdam and Harvey could mix it up a bit.
2.DP - Locked up 1st in a tough west, hosting rights for the regionals, I am thinking it will be at Leo Hayes or somewhere like that.
3. McAdam - huge win over Harvey last week.
4. Harvey - hard to believe 1 loss would drop you from 1st to 4th, but it was a big league loss, so I have to put them behind McAdam, only so much room.
5. John Caldwell - very tough division in the West, they could make some noise at regionals
6. Hartland - same as JC, think they have been just a step behind through league play.
7. Campobello - a healthy Tyler Howlett makes them a challenge for anybody. Hold him to under 40 and you will beat them.
8. Caledonia/Peti/Belleisle just pick one for 8th, they are that close. They haven't beaten anybody above them to move up.

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan - still no real reason to put them anywhere but here, hosting regionals doesn't hurt
2. John Caldwell - neck and neck with GM, but they have to go to the rock for Regionals, first time there ever for JC girls I think, could be wrong.
3. Caledonia - getting stronger as the season goes on, should be hosting the regionals and probably Provincial Sectional as well, one of the HS participants are going have to beat them on their court, tough task.
4. Harvey - injuries are hurting them right now, they should get healthy in time for playoffs, see what happens.
5. Stanley - should be better than this, size underneath, decent guard play....... inconsistent.
6. TV - still don't know much about this team this year, results say they are about here somewhere, don't see them doing much this year.
7. Cantebury - they were called "scrappy" in an earlier post, they seem to be competitive with the teams around them, that's about it.
8. Peti - I will continue to put them here as a sentimental pick for Breaker 84-88, he seems to think they are better than this, I think he's still living in the '80's

Honourable mention - McAdam and CNBA - have potential to beat soem of the 6-8 teams, will see what happens.

Man, I love this game!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:12 pm

39forever wrote:
39forever wrote:
I haven't posted in this thread for a while, there hasn't been a lot of movement in the top 8 boys and girls, but enough to warrant a revised list just the same.
Boys
------
1. Harvey (has to be the favorite right now)
2 .Grand Manan (not sure if they are this good, undefeated vs "A" teams right now, big home game vs Harvey on Thursday should tell us a lot)
3. Devon Park (West is tight, but I think they are going to sneak it out)
4. McAdam(not the McAdam of old, they will need to get it together to hold on to this spot)
5. John Caldwell (JC and Hartland are almost too close to call
6. Hartland
7. Belleisles (Belleisles and Peti are just as close)
8.Peti

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan (GM and JC are clearly 1 and 2, won't be anything different barring a huge collapse by one of them, altho Kim Wilson's Mcl is a big blow to GM)
2. John Caldwell (very strong and very young, which characteristic will prevail)
3. Caledonia (all alone in 3rd, Harvey is breathing down their neck)
4. Harvey (was that game against RNS really that close, if so, they could be a lot more improved than people think)
5. Tobique (very quiet lately, hard to judge)
6. Stanley (they have beaten the teams below them, lost to the teams above them, 'nuff said)
7. Hartland (shown glimpses of potential, but they aren't going to beat anybody above them)
8. Peti (will be fighting to hold on to a top 8 spot for the rest of the season, won't be going much higher than 7)

Let's see how this goes.

Well, a bit of a shake up in A this week, all results are in for the weekend as far as I know, let's stir up some trouble.
Boys
-----
1. Grand Manan - you can argue it if you want, I think they deserve it having beat Campo with Howlett in Campo, DP, and McAdam. Until an "A" school beats them, how can I put anybody ahead of them. A big couple of games next weekend vs McAdam and Harvey could mix it up a bit.
2.DP - Locked up 1st in a tough west, hosting rights for the regionals, I am thinking it will be at Leo Hayes or somewhere like that.
3. McAdam - huge win over Harvey last week.
4. Harvey - hard to believe 1 loss would drop you from 1st to 4th, but it was a big league loss, so I have to put them behind McAdam, only so much room.
5. John Caldwell - very tough division in the West, they could make some noise at regionals
6. Hartland - same as JC, think they have been just a step behind through league play.
7. Campobello - a healthy Tyler Howlett makes them a challenge for anybody. Hold him to under 40 and you will beat them.
8. Caledonia/Peti/Belleisle just pick one for 8th, they are that close. They haven't beaten anybody above them to move up.

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan - still no real reason to put them anywhere but here, hosting regionals doesn't hurt
2. John Caldwell - neck and neck with GM, but they have to go to the rock for Regionals, first time there ever for JC girls I think, could be wrong.
3. Caledonia - getting stronger as the season goes on, should be hosting the regionals and probably Provincial Sectional as well, one of the HS participants are going have to beat them on their court, tough task.
4. Harvey - injuries are hurting them right now, they should get healthy in time for playoffs, see what happens.
5. Stanley - should be better than this, size underneath, decent guard play....... inconsistent.
6. TV - still don't know much about this team this year, results say they are about here somewhere, don't see them doing much this year.
7. Cantebury - they were called "scrappy" in an earlier post, they seem to be competitive with the teams around them, that's about it.
8. Peti - I will continue to put them here as a sentimental pick for Breaker 84-88, he seems to think they are better than this, I think he's still living in the '80's

Honourable mention - McAdam and CNBA - have potential to beat soem of the 6-8 teams, will see what happens.

Man, I love this game!

Pretty close with the pics 39. Boys "A" Caledonia, Petit and Belleisle have beaten each other in close games but haven't played up. In girls "A" . Correction needed on Caledonia, the North will host the Regional most likely in Stanley...Cal may win that Regional and host provincials though. Breaker 84-88 may have point about Peti as they beat Stanley in Stanley on the weekend by 12 or so. He may be closer to the early 2000's than the 80's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:32 pm

This is the difference between a realist who actually played vs. an unrealistic fan who only has played 'rec' ball. Or, the above (39forever) has been drinking...and I highly doubt that...what follows are the 'realistic' rankings:

A Boys:

1. Harvey
2. McAdam
3. Grand Manan
4. Devon Park
5. John Caldwell
6. Hartland
7. Caledonia
8. Campobello

A Girls:

1. Grand Manan
2. John Caldwell
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. Petitcodiac
6. Stanley
7. TV
8. Canterbury

There you have it, etched in stone.....for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:00 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
This is the difference between a realist who actually played vs. an unrealistic fan who only has played 'rec' ball. Or, the above (39forever) has been drinking...and I highly doubt that...what follows are the 'realistic' rankings:

A Boys:

1. Harvey
2. McAdam
3. Grand Manan
4. Devon Park
5. John Caldwell
6. Hartland
7. Caledonia
8. Campobello

A Girls:

1. Grand Manan
2. John Caldwell
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. Petitcodiac
6. Stanley
7. TV
8. Canterbury

A girls I'll give you but if beating the person in front of you handily can't move you up the ladder and you can be ahead of someone in your conference but behind them provincially then this might be more flawed then NCAA rankings. GM undefeated in conference play, has beaten Mcadam. Mcadam beats Harvey easily. Both get put behind Harvey?????

I'm willing to buy that be seasons ends you might project or believe this is how they shake out but credit where credit is due.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:00 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

A Boys:

1. Harvey
2. McAdam
3. Grand Manan
4. Devon Park
5. John Caldwell
6. Hartland
7. Caledonia
8. Campobello

A Girls:

1. Grand Manan
2. John Caldwell
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. Petitcodiac
6. Stanley
7. TV
8. Canterbury

I still don't think the Peti girls will do anything, I'll give it to you based on their results vs Stanley, did not see that score. As far as the boys standings, agreed with DJR, GM has earned the #1 ranking, Harvey has at least for the short term, lost it. How can you have them above McAdam after a 20 point loss to them. Perhaps the 1500 miles away from this all puts you at a slight disadvantage when it comes to being in touch with all of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:17 am

Long time since I've had a username!Great discussion on here currently.
I have to agree with 39 and DJR. Grand Manan's boys should be ranked first.
4 south A boys team ranked 1-4. Has DP not beaten any of them?
GM girls seem pretty strong! Any reason why Caledonia is not #2? Has JC beaten them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 am

Birdman33 wrote:
Long time since I've had a username!Great discussion on here currently.
I have to agree with 39 and DJR. Grand Manan's boys should be ranked first.
4 south A boys team ranked 1-4. Has DP not beaten any of them?
GM girls seem pretty strong! Any reason why Caledonia is not #2? Has JC beaten them?

JCS and Caledonia have not played as far as I know. JCS is probably getting the nod as they are playing and competting with stronger and more visible competition. Playing AA varsity playoff teams, AAA schools, and top flight AAA jv teams. Not sure who Caledonia has played. Maybe they do a lot of this too but we just don't see their scores?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller09

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Caledonia has been beating PRHS all season and when #4, #9, and Parsons are on their game they Caledonia is hard to beat!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller09

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:07 pm

and Caledonia's defence is really good to!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huios30

PostSubject: Subject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:09 pm

John Caldwell and Caledonia may just give Grand Manan a very big surprise when it comes down to the final games. Grand Manan is very talented, but I have been following them and they have not played as much basketball in the new year as JC. There have been stretches of weeks with no games and their schedule is very, very weak. They have not played one strong team at full strength in 2012. This is going to hurt them come February, when 40 minute games and stronger teams show up.

Grand Manan has a new coach.

Sources (in the Saint John area) tell me that they are very sluggish and do not play consistent "D". I am also told they have not played well in the big games. I have observed them to struggle on the boards against teams that are not as athletic or talented as they are. The issue with this team, I'm told, is aggression and finishing strong. They are white collar girls.

I saw them against Sussex and they looked inconsistent on the boards and feeble defensively; this against a Sussex team that they obviously possessed nor more talent, but much more of a work ethic. The Brown girl was injured in that tourney and they were not able to win one game.

John Caldwell (and Caledonia) should bring their work clothes, because if they play a blue collar game against this team, I am told Grand Manan will cave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Huios30 wrote:
John Caldwell and Caledonia may just give Grand Manan a very big surprise when it comes down to the final games. Grand Manan is very talented, but I have been following them and they have not played as much basketball in the new year as JC. There have been stretches of weeks with no games and their schedule is very, very weak. They have not played one strong team at full strength in 2012. This is going to hurt them come February, when 40 minute games and stronger teams show up.

Sources (in the Saint John area) tell me that they are very sluggish and do not play consistent "D". I am also told they have not played well in the big games. I have observed them to struggle on the boards against teams that are not as athletic or talented as they are. The issue with this team, I'm told, is aggression and finishing strong. They are white collar girls.

I saw them against Sussex and they looked inconsistent on the boards and feeble defensively; this against a Sussex team that they obviously possessed nor more talent, but much more of a work ethic. The Brown girl was injured in that tourney and they were not able to win one game.

John Caldwell (and Caledonia) should bring their work clothes, because if they play a blue collar game against this team, I am told Grand Manan will cave.

I can totally understand your analysis of the GM girls. They have had a very weak schedule, mainly because you have such weak teams that they have to play 2 league games against. Also, getting tougher teams to come to GM is hard...costly for visitors, islanders are very appreciative of teams that make the extra effort to come over. GM is limited to weekend play only, because of the ferry. You can squeeze in a game in the afternoon to travel to a team somewhere in the south, but even then, kids have to leave school early and don't get home til 11:00, price of living in paradise! They have managed to schedule 15 games in a 5 week span, pretty hard to do when you can only play on weekends.
They do have a new coach, but the starting center for last year's #6 ranked team in the nation must know a thing or 2 about ball, and I can guarantee she does.
They didn't look good against Sussex, a very hard working, well coached AAA school, haven't seen Sussex lose to very many A schools this year. It was a tournament early in the year and the team was not prepared to play without Brown, so when she got hurt, they did not perform well.
GM handled Caledonia easily early in the year, but I am sure they are much improved and could win it all. Caldwell has been a top team all year, I expect them to be very hard to beat. GM travels to the Caldwell tournament on Feb 3rd, they should meet up there somewhere in what could be a Harbour Station preview.
I think all 3 of the top teams are capable of winning it all, I think home court may end up playing a role in some way. I will say this, I am not expecting any of these teams to "cave".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huios30

PostSubject: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls    Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I guess we'll have a very good idea about Grand Manan's (real) strengths and weaknesses on February 4th. I know that one of JC's (potential) issues is inexperience---are they really that young of a team?

In the game I saw them in St. Stephen, GM turned it on quite convincingly against Sussex, but then fizzled. The question is with these girls teams is: will the top teams show up to turn it on and keep it on as the commanding presence(s) they should be in 'A'.

I plan on being at Harbour Station in February and I'm hoping someone turns it on like last year's 'AA' game. That one will be a hard one to top.

39forever is buying tickets for the Grand Manan game at HS. I'll take mine at mid-court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 am

Good to see Breaker stirring up the pot again!

1Grand Manan
2Harvey
3Mcadam
4Devon Park

That's how I see it right now, probably gonna have people tear it to shreds!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:27 pm

New updated rankings, not a lot of games with exams going on, some big matchuos next week!

Boys
-----
1. Grand Manan - a big win in McAdam's gym keeps them here, can't figure out what happened to Harvey to lose by 20 there a couple of weeks ago. Possible Harbour Station preview with home and home games vs Harvey next weekend.
2. DP - Locked up 1st in a tough west, hosting rights for the regionals, thier 1st game of that tourny is in their home gym, that shouldn't be happening.
3. McAdam - in need of another win this week to stay ahead of Harvey
4. Harvey - held serve vs Campo, but only by 5, I have to keep them behind McAdam, that 20 point loss to them makes it impossible to move them up. I still think they will make it to final 12 before ot's over with, just have to have results to move them up in the rankings.
5. John Caldwell
6. Hartland
7. Campobello - Harvey held him to under 20, the Vikings won't beat anybody if he can't put bigger numbers up than that
8. Caledonia/Peti/Belleisle - nobody jumping out at us yet

Girls
-----
1. Grand Manan - They have been beating the weaker teams by big totals, as they should. Have to get these league games in. A tune up game vs RNS before Regionals will be a good test for them. Big potential matchup vs JC at the Grand Falls Tournament next weekend as well, could be another HS preview.
2. John Caldwell - Like I said, if things play out, they could be playing GM on Saturday afternoon!
3. Caledonia - getting stronger as the season goes on, will probably go into Stanley and win the Regional tournament, and go on to host the Provincial Sectional as well, one of the HS participants are going have to beat them on their court if that happens.
4. Harvey - still has 1 starter out, we'll say that's why they only beat Campo by 17
5. TV - didn't really move up, Stanley moved down based on a Peti win over Stanley.
6. Peti - been very quiet all season.
7. Stanley - really underachieving.
8. Cantebury

Getting close now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
T-Ball

PostSubject: Petit Hosts Caledonia Tonight   Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:46 am

Absolutely huge game tonight in Petit for the Boys East standings. If we can assume the big three win their other remaining games this will decide first place in the east. If Caledonia wins they take first. If Petit wins there is a three way tie for first. Depending on the point spread either Petit or Belleisle take top spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
We talkin bout practice

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 pm

There are alot of fans over in the east, and I wish there were more games between eastern teams than those top contenders in the South and West. This would help the rest of us gauge how good they truly are. The only scores I ever see or hear of from the east are inter division play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dont blame the refs

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Hartland over John Caldwell by a score of 73-62 and clinches second in the west.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Harvey over Campobello by 15 on the island in boys play tonight. Next three games for Harvey: Wed. vs. McAdam, Sat. @ Grand Manan, Sun. vs. Grand Manan to determine the top three in the south.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
T-Ball

PostSubject: Petit vs Caledonia Boys   Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Petit over Caledonia by 2 in a great game tonight in Petit.

This creates a three way tie for first in the east. The tie breaker, by my reckoning gives Belleisle first. Second (I think) goes to Caledonia if you consider point differential (according to the NBIAA handbook) or Petit if you consider ratio (FIBA rules). My numbers from scores between the three teams may be off though so this could be too close to call until we get the official word.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Huios30 wrote:

Your 'sources' can kiss my big, fat, white, hairy, ass. I don't care if you hate GM, or GM basketball...I don't really care....and I don't care whether you think John Caldwell or Caledonia will win the 'A' title...they both have very good teams....but, to attack the character of a bunch of teenage girls? I have a big problem with that. Basically calling them 'gutless'...really? seriously?

Your 'sources' have no idea about GM basketball....yeah, GM teams have a history of 'caving'..? That's a laugh.

'Grand Manan has a new coach' - really? what is that supposed to mean? Yeah, everyone can read between the lines...that is so disrespectful.

Then, after all of that - joking around with 39forever about midcourt seats after basically calling his daughter, 'gutless'....really? I even bet he would do that for you because he is a gentleman...first and foremost. That is why his response is 'diplomatic'...mine...not so much.

If GM loses...it will be because another team out played them, and deserved to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Today at 4:46 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next