HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
baller20

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Canterbury travels to Nackawic on monday to decide 4th place in the west. Nackawic makes it to regionals if they win or lose by less than 4. Canterbury needs to win by 4 or more to make it.
It's in highly doubt that either teams will win in regionals, but both teams are gonna give it all they have to see who gets in as the 4th seed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38 pm

McAdam over Harvey by 2, in overtime, 83-81. Tied 41-41 at the half, 75-75 at the end of regulation. Great game by both teams!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:39 am

McAdam coming on strong at the end of the season! Shows how even things are this year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 am

Not sure I agree that McAdam is coming on strong at the end of the year. Less than a week ago they played a very weak game against Grand Manan and were never in the game in the second half from what I heard. Harvey looked like the team to beaat before Christmas, so I am surprised by their two losses to McAdam. I think the top three teams in the south should be able to survive the Friday night regional games so the losses may not hurt them too bad, but they need to play well this weekend against Grand Manan to go into the playoffs with some momentum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 am

observer wrote:
Not sure I agree that McAdam is coming on strong at the end of the year. Less than a week ago they played a very weak game against Grand Manan and were never in the game in the second half from what I heard. Harvey looked like the team to beaat before Christmas, so I am surprised by their two losses to McAdam. I think the top three teams in the south should be able to survive the Friday night regional games so the losses may not hurt them too bad, but they need to play well this weekend against Grand Manan to go into the playoffs with some momentum.
Trust me, they are coming on strong and I would not read a lot into Saturdays game.
This was a great game and could have gone either way.One of the best I have watched in a long time, and McAdam got contibutions from several players, although Moffitt did get 37.One of their young bench players hit several key shots.Game was intense, great shooting and lots of pressure situations.I have yet to see Grand Manan, but I would not want to bet against any of them,Harvey, McAdam, Devon Park or even Campo in a one game situation. Edge to Grand Manan right now, Harvey and McAdam dead even.Expecting some great games over the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
observer

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:04 am

Lefty wrote:
observer wrote:
Trust me, they are coming on strong and I would not read a lot into Saturdays game.
This was a great game and could have gone either way.One of the best I have watched in a long time, and McAdam got contibutions from several players, although Moffitt did get 37.One of their young bench players hit several key shots.Game was intense, great shooting and lots of pressure situations.I have yet to see Grand Manan, but I would not want to bet against any of them,Harvey, McAdam, Devon Park or even Campo in a one game situation. Edge to Grand Manan right now, Harvey and McAdam dead even.Expecting some great games over the next few weeks.

Couldn't agree more that the next three weeks are going to be exciting. I think there are five or six teams that could legitimately end up at the Aitken Centre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 am

I doubt anyone will b at the aitken center Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 am

Lefty...the player you speak of is Brodie Coburn. He is Ben's younger brother and is in grade ten. Was the point guard on their jv team last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am

Rudas wrote:
Lefty...the player you speak of is Brodie Coburn. He is Ben's younger brother and is in grade ten. Was the point guard on their jv team last year.
He did a great job, calm as could be.Ben hit some huge and timely 3's as well.
Back to top Go down
Defense14

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:43 pm

tonight in league campobello boys over mcadam 80-77 and mcadam girls over campobello 72-32, interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 am

Defense14 wrote:
tonight in league campobello boys over mcadam 80-77 and mcadam girls over campobello 72-32, interesting.

INSANE!!!! The boys rankings are next to impossible! Enormous win for Campo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Harvey wins in Grand Manan, 78-77. Teams play at 4 pm in Harvey tomorrow for first in south.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Harvey wins today in Harvey against Grand Manan, 76-67, in a packed gym.

This locks the south seeds for next week at Devon Park.
(1) Harvey
(2) Grand Manan
(3) McAdam
(4) Campobello
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:49 pm

How big was McAdam's OT win at Harvey? They could have been playing Campobello for 3/4....although, you could have a bunch of different senarios during the last couple of weeks.

I expect the South to wipeout the West, except Devon Park, I'd give Campobello half a chance if they weren't playing in that cracker jack box.

I expect the East to exterminate the very weak North...Campobello would be a #1 seed in that Conference....

However, we shall see how it plays out...i've been wrong before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:42 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
How big was McAdam's OT win at Harvey? They could have been playing Campobello for 3/4....although, you could have a bunch of different senarios during the last couple of weeks.

I expect the South to wipeout the West, except Devon Park, I'd give Campobello half a chance if they weren't playing in that cracker jack box.

I expect the East to exterminate the very weak North...Campobello would be a #1 seed in that Conference....

I don't think the East will sweep. Looking at ECB's scores it would not shock me if they beat Minto...not that it matters in the big picture. Also not sire that there won't be an East team in the top four. Definatly not a guarentee either way. You never know what will happen in one game situations
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am

So let's breakdown 1st round this weekend at Devon Park

1- Devon play Campo- I have to agree with GM.....will be very hard for Campo to win in the smallest gym in the province.....should not be allowed to be played there

2- Harvey vs Cant/Nackawick- easy win for Harv

3- GM & JC- I have not seen GM play but i believe they will probably win but they want to be awake as JC has a pretty good team and play fairly big

4- McAdam and Hartland- anyones game! This is the best scenerio that HCS could have had. They match up to McAdam better than any other team. I think Hartland will pull this one out

Have at er!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 am

I'd say DP over Campo but it's gonna be a very close game, maybe the best of the opening round even in the tiny gym DP 85 Campo 77

Harvey against doesn't matter, Harvey 93 ???? 40

GM against JC, could be tight but I doubt it, GM will pull it out, GM 72 JC 55

Mcadam against Hartland, Mcadam comes out on top, watch for Hartland to perhaps catch Mcadam off guard early. Mcadam 68 Hartland 53 Moffit drops 38
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am

DP over Campo - has the potential to be a good game. But lack of depth for campo, meets phsyical pressure in DP and no where to hide in that DP gym. DP can afford more kids to be in foul trouble than Campo. So either not a lot of contact gets called and Campo get worn out or refs clean it up and DP wins on bench depth. COuld be a good game most likely DP wins comfortably.

Harvey vs. Cant/ Nackawic - Less travel for the 1 seed in the south then the 4 in the host conference. Not that it would matter (just something to say for this game.) Easy win for Harvey.

GM vs. JC - Interesting to see how GM responds to its first losses of the year to A schools. If JC can make it competitive early could se GM tighted late. Still seeing a GM win by 10+.

McAdam Vs Hartland - This could be a great game. Hartland and MCadam had a 3 point game really early in the year. Lots has changed since then. My onlly two concerns would be that McAdam has played a tougher schedule from what I can see ( a lot without their best player) and may be more ready. McAdam has the only kid in the game who could drop 50. I see McAdam winning a tight one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
h0oplife

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:11 pm

This makes no sense to have Regionals opening game to be hosted in that tiny gym! Disadvantage for Campobello in my opinion right off the start, especially if kids do get into foul trouble, might as well push Devon Park into the next round unless if Campobello can come off with a miracle! For the rest of the South I agree will get into the next round, be a big upset nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:33 pm

h0oplife wrote:

This makes no sense to have Regionals opening game to be hosted in that tiny gym! Disadvantage for Campobello in my opinion right off the start, especially if kids do get into foul trouble, might as well push Devon Park into the next round unless if Campobello can come off with a miracle! For the rest of the South I agree will get into the next round, be a big upset nonetheless.

i absolutely agree with you , it would have gone the way we all would wanted it to being at either leo hayes split with fhs but there is jv provincials and sr boys and girls regionals being held at both schools at AAA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
We talkin bout practice

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm

As much as I like Campo, I dont think the gym will determine the game between them and D.P. Mac dady seems to gear his boys up well for teams with a single star. Now saying this im sure someone will come back at my with a bunch of names I have never heard and state how great they are, but lets be honest campo is one star player surrounded by a few role players and an unreliable bench. D.P everytime they come to town seems to roll on players and regardless of line outwork thier opponent.

As for the rest of the south/west playoffs I cant see anyone else from the west squeaking in. They have no experience beyond the first round and the south teams have just been playing higher quality teams leading up to playoffs. Hope to see some great games at devon middle school, as there isnt the slightest chance i'll get a seat in the icebox thats is Devon's gym.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Alright, here's my last top 8 "A boys and girls rankings of the regular season. I don't think I have been too far aff, this isn't an exact science. Let's see if I can get anything close this week.

Boys
-----
1. Harvey - other than 2 losses to McAdam, they have been the class of A ball. Let's just hope they don't meet McAdam in the playoffs.
2. DP - giving them the #2 spot because of them having home court at Regionals, and having locked up 1st in the west.
3. Grand Manan - had control of their own destiny, 2 big losses vs Harvey puts them at #3. Doesn't change the task at hand, go undefeated from this point on.
4. McAdam - even with a loss vs Campo, I still think Moffit is too big a threat to put them any lower than this.
5. Hartland - in tough going against McAdam in the first round.
6. John Caldwell - facing a GM team fresh off 2 big losses, I din't think they'll make it 3.
7. Campobello - one of the most dangerous 4 seeds there has ever been.
8. Belleisle - gotta put them here alone based on their home court advantage at regionals.
Honourable Mention - Caledonia, Petitcodiac and ECB - I think they will all live to see another day past Friday.

Girls
-----
1. John Caldwell - have to put them at #1 based on the fact they beat St Stephen twice and Grand Manan lost to SS at the same tournament. However, they have to make the longest trip they have ever made to go to regionals. A 3 hour drive, and a 2 hour ferry ride on a leaky ferry with 50 knot of easterly wind.
2. Grand Manan - home court and hopefully a healthy roster on the weekend could help them get back to first.
3. Caledonia - status quo, still haven't played anybody to prove they are stronger than this.
4. Harvey - heading to GM to play in a gym they are very familiar with, making a trip they are very familiar with. They played JC very tough in Grand Falls on the weekend, if things play out , they will get another shot at JC on Saturday, this is going to be a very interesting game if it happens.
5. Peti - alright, I will put them here just because GM84-88 really thinks they should be here or higher.
6. Stanley - not heading into the playoffs on a roll, that's for sure. Probably the biggest disappointment of the year thus far, but string a couple of wins together at the regionals and it could all turn around.
7. TV - slaughtered by almost 60 by St Stephen last weekend, ouch!
8. Minto - I am giving them this spot over Cantebury for only 1 reason,I think they will still be around after their first game on Friday, Cantebury will not, other than that, Cantebury would have this spot.

Man, I love this game!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
swballa

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm

A boys
1. Harvey
2. Grand Manan
3. Devon Park
4. McAdam
5. Campobello
6. Hartland

All that matters...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Girls:
1. GM- Never had Wilsen in the JCS tournie and until someone beats them they stay here. They may not have played alot of hard games leading up to regionals but at home they will be ready.
2. Caladonia - Basically they play the same style as JCS but they are better at it.They put more pressure on the ball and have better overal scoring.
3. JCS - Close but are a year away. They are easy to play against as they play half court m2m and if you slow down there young guard which is very duable they will not score enough.
4. Peti - Looking at the scores over the second half I think they are better than they get credit for. Good size and deep bench.
5. Harvey - Very improved team but may also be a year away .
6. Stanley - Under acheived but have potential.
7. TVHS - Not sure whats going on there. Play a 10 point game with JCS then lose by 50+ to SS. Was told that at the JCS tournie the Dalhousie coach called three time outs in the second half and Tobiques two coaches never addressed there team during the time outs. They just set on the bench . That would explain alot about this team.
8. Don't think it really matters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 am

Campo 78 Mcadam 67, regionals are gonna be crazy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls   Today at 9:02 am

Back to top Go down

Top 8 "A" Boys and Girls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next