HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:28 pm

BREAKING NEWS-- #NPH 2013 #7-ranked Canadian Prospect Manroop Clair has transferred to Trent International School in Texas! @NorthPoleHoops

Manroop has transferred to Trent International located in Texas.

He was looking at schools in Texas, Canada, and Spain. And don’t be surprised to see Clair in the class of 2013. He's hinted that he will reclassify, if the right situation occurs then there is a possibility he will remain the class of 2012.

Clair put his name on the map over the summer on the AAU circuit. Since Clair has been in the states, he's received an offer from Rice University.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldSchoolCoach

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Where is Manroop Clare playing now? He does not appear on Huntington Beaches roster. Is it time to send out an Amber alert?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:48 am

OldSchoolCoach wrote:
Where is Manroop Clare playing now? He does not appear on Huntington Beaches roster. Is it time to send out an Amber alert?

You are confusing Huntington Beach (California) with Huntington Prep (West Virginia). Manroop plays for Huntington Prep, the #4 ranked team in America.

Amber Alert? Really? smh.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/huntington-prep-express-(huntington,wv)/basketball/roster.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:50 am

The #4 ranked team in the US according to ESPN Fab 50 is Montrose Christian from Maryland. Saw them play a couple of games with Montreal's Kevin Zabo as a sophomore lead guard. This kid has a really bright future. One of the best and most discplined HS team I've ever seen. Some gems on this team like Justin Anderson. Remember this kids name you'll be hearing a lot about him in he future. He's headed to University of Virginia. Players like KD have played for Montrose. 4 starters are 6'6" and 215 or above and they have a 7 footer who comes off the bench and is a great player and already signed with a major D1 school. This team would beat many CIS schools. If this is the level that Huntington Prep plays at then Canada is in really good shape for the next decade or so. According to ESPN Fab 50 Huntington Prep is not eligible for rankings. Not sure why this is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldSchoolCoach

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:46 am

My mistake, I meant Huntington Prep. I cannot find a school named Huntington Prep school doing a goggle search. It is easy to find info on Huntington Prep's basketball team. I can find Huntington St Joseph's High school that has an affiliation with Huntington Prep basketball team. The same goes for La Jolla Prep and Findlay Prep. It seems these are not prep schools, they are simply semi pro basketball teams much like junior hockey teams in Canada. They teach the boys how to play ball and farm out their education to whoever. If the boys are on scholarship, who pays for them? This is not like schools in BC that bring boys to Vancouver and have the masses at the school pay for their basketball scholarship. Perhaps teams like Huntington Prep cannot be ranked in ESPN Fab 50 because they are simply not schools. They are semi pro teams buy their players. Do we have these semi pro teams in Canada?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm not totally sure why Huntington Prep is not in the ESPN Rankings but a little while back I read an article that stated that it was because the West Virginia High School Association did not recognize Huntington Prep and until they do so they cannot be included. I need to find that article again but it also stated that if Huntington Prep was recognized that they would be ranked in the top 5 by ESPN.

ESPN #1 Simeon (Illinois) recently used Huntington Prep not being recognized by the High School Association as an excuse to get out of their game against Huntington Prep which was supposed to be played on December 17th.

Huntington prep is ranked 4th in the nation by Maxpreps (I expect them to be higher when they update this) and ranked 7th in the nation by Sports Illustrated/Five Star. Montrose is ranked 15th by Sports Illustrated/Five Star. It is important to note that Sports Illustrated/Five Star rankings include post grad teams. Both Huntington Prep and Montrose would be ranked higher if post grad teams were not included.

I agree with what Coach Mike said about Zabo. Kid is a really good point guard and Canadian!

Huntington Prep is where OJ Mayo (Grizzlies), Patrick Patterson (Rockets), and Bill Walker (Knicks) played. They have 10 possible high major players on their roster, 4 have already signed. Negus Webster Chan (Missouri), Javonte Hawkins (South Florida), Stefan Jankovic (Missouri), and Elijah Macon (West Virginia).

Huntington Prep is a non traditional school. Same goes for Oak Hill Academy and Findlay Prep. All these kids at Huntington Prep, Oak Hill, and Findlay get a private school education. In my opinion private school education is pretty good. Maybe that's why you don't see NCAA elgibility issues with kids at Huntington Prep, Oak Hill and Findlay as much as you do at other schools across the US.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldSchoolCoach

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Not sure Huntington Prep has the best rep as far as academics goes. Didn't Sim Bhuttar go there. I remember reading an article that Sim could not receive an athletic scholarship because he did not have the grades. He has to pay for his freshman year himself. I found this short article on Huntington academics from last year.

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- There are a few new faces at Huntington St. Joe High School. That's because these new students are actually part of Huntington Preparatory Academy. It's an organization in it's second year of existence, but one with a new approach to academics.

The Huntington Prep basketball players are considered St. Joe students during the day, and members of Huntington Prep's elite basketball team at night.

"From 8 to 3, I see myself as a St. Joe Irish kid," Senior Jeremiah Davis said. "And then from three until how ever long were in the gym, I see myself as a Huntington Prep kid."

Huntington Prep head coach Rob Fulford admits it's an unusual situation, but says it's the best fit for all involved.

"We had to come up with something outside the box very quickly," Fulford said. "Basically, it's just a basketball team. St. Joe has their sports, and our kids have basketball team in the evening called Huntington Prep. Other than that, they're St. Joe kids."

Fulford says after a rough first year in term of academics, Huntington Prep is now focused on providing students with the best schooling on and off the court.

"Last year sort of hurt with the reputation in town in terms of what we were actually doing from an academics standpoint," Fulford said. "That's why we moved, and that's why we're here. We know academics has to come first."

I think it is great that they are enrolling their players at an actual school and making academics important. This also shows why they cannot be considered a high school team. The school they attend has a basketball team. Manroop and the boys play for a team that does not have a school. There are no rules as to who can play for Huntington. They do not follow any state rules. You simply need to be good. This would be like playing the Vancouver Giants in a high school hockey league. You are correct on Findlay and wrong about Oak Hill. Findlay is like Huntington and attaches itself to a real school, while Oak Hill as its own campus and school. Had a chat with the Oak Hill coach a few years ago and he said they travel around the US getting appearance money to play games and tournaments. Very good money by the way. I see Nike is a big sponsor for many of the prep schools. Selling these young men has become big business. I hope Manroop has found the right prep school on his third try in 3 months.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:57 am

Is he playing? Googled Huntingtons recent games and couldn't find hin in any of the writeups or boxscores. Thats an extremely talented group at HP and i can't see him getting anything more than throwaway minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:52 pm

TightD wrote:
Is he playing? Googled Huntingtons recent games and couldn't find hin in any of the writeups or boxscores. Thats an extremely talented group at HP and i can't see him getting anything more than throwaway minutes.

I was able to catch Huntington Prep vs St. Ignatius Prep online. Manroop had 11 points and 3 assists for Huntington. Going 4-5 from the field. He ran the point for them. I think Huntington has played only 3 games since he's gotten there due to games and tournaments being cancelled. That is probably a good thing for him so he can learn the offense and build chemistry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:16 pm

HP is playing in the Ironton classic and he isn't on the roster. In the boxscores Wiggins and Rathan-Mayes don't seem to be playing either.

http://irontonclassic.com/History.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:18 pm

TightD wrote:
HP is playing in the Ironton classic and he isn't on the roster. In the boxscores Wiggins and Rathan-Mayes don't seem to be playing either.

http://irontonclassic.com/History.htm

Home for the holidays Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 am

I am posting this here because the Kenneth Monture topic was closed (as it should have been), but I think Lyle Dhur of Sportvictoria needs a response....

You begin by saying Pooch has no idea what he is talking about, yet I am certain you have no idea what you are talking about with respect to Manroop Clair and why he transferred schools. People on this site should restrict their comments to situations they know something about (and try to be positive), especially when they refer to young players pursuing their dreams.

Most of the points you raise against recruiting seem to be paternalistic and put in place for someone other than the player and his parents. It should be up to parents and the student athlete to decide where they go to school. It is their mistake to make, not yours...

Below is copied from the Monture thread...

Pooch - you have no idea of what you're talking about.

Transfer rules protect the players as well. There are a lot of unscrupulous 'recruiters' out there.

They will recruit a player, make promises, cost the players lots of money and maybe their eligibility – then dump them aside like trash whenever they feel like it. You just have to look at the Clair situation in SoCal – recruited by an elite program… along with 19 others… then they pick the 12 they want… then dump the rest. If it screws the kid over – oh well. Not their problem. Manroop was lucky he was able to get into another situation when he did.

If it was open season for recruiting, you’d find a lot of good programs would collapase as a coach is not going to spend thousands of hours developing a program only to see it raided for the players they have created. Then you’d have a whole bunch of kids SOL because of a few. You’d also have a huge amount of undo pressure being put on kids and families.

And to Ron_pm – In this day and age, players don’t get missed. If a player is good enough – they get noticed. Coaches talk, A LOT. So when a kid is good enough, his name is out there. I regularly field calls and/or emails from Canadian and US college/university programs and am asked about players. They often want to know about the kid himself. They want to know if he’s a good kid off the court and what I know about him on the court. I, in turn, reach out to people I know and start asking questions. I’ll contact his coach and maybe former coach and pick their brain.

College/University coaches get sent a lot of ‘tape’ on kids – note to the players that read this, DO NOT send in a highlight tape of yourself that has been cut and edited. There is no quicker way to find the bottom of the garbage can. Post-secondary coaches want to see ‘game tape’. They don’t want to see close-ups of a player either. The want to see full game action so they can see everything that is going on to see what a players does with and without the ball, how instictive they are. How they move on the court.

I can tell you one thing that has been conveyed to me – post-secondary coaches REALLY are not fans of kids that move around a lot from program to program. They see it as a lack of loyality to those putting in the thousands of hours teaching and developing you and they are leary to invest the time and money only to maybe see you bolt in a year (or less) because you think there is a better deal out there.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:22 am

Mark Scott wrote:
I am posting this here because the Kenneth Monture topic was closed (as it should have been), but I think Lyle Dhur of Sportvictoria needs a response....

Mark,

Instead trying to start a fight where one does not exsist... try and copy the entire post instead of only some of it.

My comment to Pooch was based on the fact that he said that as far as most coaches are concerned a moving player is a bad guy and that transfer rules are about protecting programs and coaches only.

I was stating that transfer rules are in place to protect everyone - including the players and their families.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:49 am

Sportvictoria wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Mark,

Instead trying to start a fight where one does not exsist... try and copy the entire post instead of only some of it.

My comment to Pooch was based on the fact that he said that as far as most coaches are concerned a moving player is a bad guy and that transfer rules are about protecting programs and coaches only.

I was stating that transfer rules are in place to protect everyone - including the players and their families.

Lyle,
Your entire quote is copied here - and I am sure if people really want more they can go back to the original topic.

I was not intending to start a fight, but when you took an unwarranted swing at Manroop, when clearly you know nothing of his situation, I thought it only fair to point out the irony of your comment.

The fundamental difference, which we will not resolve, is that you believe that those transfer/recruiting rules are needed to protect parents and players from their own decisions and "unscrupulous 'recruiters'". I think people should be allowed to make their own decisions - good or bad - and do-gooders should stay out of the way.

It is not a fight, it is a difference of philosophy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:24 am

Mark Scott wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Mark,

Lyle,
Your entire quote is copied here - and I am sure if people really want more they can go back to the original topic.

I was not intending to start a fight, but when you took an unwarranted swing at Manroop, when clearly you know nothing of his situation, I thought it only fair to point out the irony of your comment.

The fundamental difference, which we will not resolve, is that you believe that those transfer/recruiting rules are needed to protect parents and players from their own decisions and "unscrupulous 'recruiters'". I think people should be allowed to make their own decisions - good or bad - and do-gooders should stay out of the way.

It is not a fight, it is a difference of philosophy.

Mark,

I absolutely was not taking a swing at Manroop. I have no problem with him or what he's done.
If you look at what La Jolla did to him... that is un-cool. That is where I have an issue. It's what La Jolla did.

The problem with open recruiting is there are always those that will take advantage of kids and their lack of knowledge of the situation. Those people are the ones that EVERYONE needs protection from. The problem here is you can't always tell who those people are.

If you look at the old Alberta system which allowed open recruiting, you end up with only a few schools with solid programs - thus fewer high quality players come out of them. We have lots of top programs with a lot of quality university level players being produced. For all the players involved... this creates more, and better, opportunities.

Lyle
Back to top Go down
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 am

I never said recruiting was okay.
You make the comment that I have no idea what I am talking about partly because of "unscrupulous recruiters".
I made the point that the rules do not take into account what is best for a kid trapped in a program that does not match his aspirations, and I happen to believe that the kids' needs have to be at the forefront. You disagree. Okay.
I think that as long as we have avenues to pursue and restrict "recruiting"(which I happen to believe is the most overused word on this forum), that we can allow the kids' needs to be first on the list of priorities. If someone is pursuing kids, whether making promises or not...punish them, but the kid who educates himself on who and what is available deserves the right to make a choice.
I also feel that it is unlikely we will see "wholesale" moves to just a few programs as long as most schools are making some attempt at running a decent program. Athletes used to be allowed to move and play within certain guidelines if they moved by the start of grade 11(usually academic reasons had to be given) and there were never the wholesale moves you are worried about. I agree that having lots of moves to just a few programs would be a negative...I just don't think it will happen and don't think it is worth it to restrict kids that need a different opportunity than the one they are going to get at the school they are "supposed to" attend. Let the kids make one move up to the start of their grade 11 season and punish anyone trying to manipulate that process but allow the kids and parents to educate themselves.
I hate to see a kid with dreams trapped in a program that gives him a far inferior chance of success in achieving his goals.
I wonder how you might feel if your kid lived on the wrong side of the boundary and his neighbour got to have the experience suited to his aspirations while yours didn't.
We just disagree I guess, and so far your opinion seems to represent the majority of BC coaches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:10 am

Pooch wrote:
I never said recruiting was okay.
You make the comment that I have no idea what I am talking about partly because of "unscrupulous recruiters".
I made the point that the rules do not take into account what is best for a kid trapped in a program that does not match his aspirations, and I happen to believe that the kids' needs have to be at the forefront. You disagree. Okay.
I think that as long as we have avenues to pursue and restrict "recruiting"(which I happen to believe is the most overused word on this forum), that we can allow the kids' needs to be first on the list of priorities. If someone is pursuing kids, whether making promises or not...punish them, but the kid who educates himself on who and what is available deserves the right to make a choice.
I also feel that it is unlikely we will see "wholesale" moves to just a few programs as long as most schools are making some attempt at running a decent program. Athletes used to be allowed to move and play within certain guidelines if they moved by the start of grade 11(usually academic reasons had to be given) and there were never the wholesale moves you are worried about. I agree that having lots of moves to just a few programs would be a negative...I just don't think it will happen and don't think it is worth it to restrict kids that need a different opportunity than the one they are going to get at the school they are "supposed to" attend. Let the kids make one move up to the start of their grade 11 season and punish anyone trying to manipulate that process but allow the kids and parents to educate themselves.
I hate to see a kid with dreams trapped in a program that gives him a far inferior chance of success in achieving his goals.
I wonder how you might feel if your kid lived on the wrong side of the boundary and his neighbour got to have the experience suited to his aspirations while yours didn't.
We just disagree I guess, and so far your opinion seems to represent the majority of BC coaches.

And when you're in Grade 8 or Grade 9 you can make that choice. After that you have to take a program (consisting of 3 courses) that is not offered by your school or your entire family has to move to the catchment area of another school.

There are options - but when someone tries to skirt the system (like use the exsisting address of another player on the team)... don't be surprised when their tail gets caught in the door.
Back to top Go down
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Yes there are options but I don't think they should require such a huge commitment. Basketball is important enough a reason. Why not? Music and math are. So is everything else except sports, and most players are pretty darn passionate about their sport. More so than most people for those other programs and of course that is why it is an issue. If the coaches weren't just as passionate, it wouldn't be an issue. So because it is important to everyone, it is the one you can't make a choice about. Kind of ironic.
Sports have a huge impact on a lot of young people's lives. Look at how interested we on this board still all are.
I also think, but could be wrong, but hasn't the date by which you can make a move now been moved back to the end of your Grade 8 year? When most kids don't really know what their school's varsity program is about or what it will be when it is their turn. I admit that is a good way to stop people from transferring(force the decision before they have a clue or motivation). I just don't happen to think that ending moves should be the over-riding goal.
I agree with you about those skirting the system.
Anyway, I respect your opinion and appreciate how well you have presented it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Many of these top basketball players are also good in other sports. It’s unreasonable to ask them to choose basketball in Grade eight or nine. I often feel that they’re good today because they didn’t specialize at an earlier age. But when you have a rule that said you have to transfer by grade eight or nine you force them to specialize, lead parents to make early decision for their kids in terms of their athletic goals without any consideration of their physical growth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:25 pm

I have my own perspective on this dialogue that appears to be the most interesting and controversial theme on the site. I would like to discuss some real-life examples to illustrate my thoughts:

Do we actually believe that players not exposed to superior coaching and programs will develop substantially and greatly enhance their opportunity to play at the university level? What percentage of HS players in BC make university and beyond? 1 maybe 2%. I would really like to know the statistics on this. What is it in comparison to Ontario and Quebec? Far less, look at the National teams, they are primarily comprised of Ontario and Quebec players.

Every player's aspirations when he grabs a basketball for the 1st time is to be the best that he can be and strive to play at the highest level and not just being happy to be on his HS team. It is extremely evident in BC that not all programs are versed with superior coaching, competition and the continued development year in and year out for each player. As well there is a severe shortcoming with a unified approach within this province to build elite players.

What about all the other players who want to excel at this game? Where do they find the tutoring and mentoring that they need? They all can't drop $1500/month for personal or elite academies. What do they do to chase that passion in the pursuit of excellence culminating in that burning desire to play great basketball. If the system is faulty we fail these kids? I applaud and have seen so many parents, coaches, volunteers and organizations step up and do their best to feed this voracious appetite through various means, but it is not working as our players are falling behind, not reaching their full potential. The question that comes to mind is had things been different could the player have been better? Who's stepping up and taking over when the great ambassadors of the game move on like Goulet, Bergen and Dorf?

Manroop came into his own in Grade 11 at Bby South. I really believe his exposure with Drive Academy housing on his personal development and exposure to excellent competition in practice and games has elevated his game and confidence to another level and as a result he has significant D1 interest. He would have been arguably the best player in HS this year, but can you blame him for making the choices he has. Do you think by the end of the season that his game won't be better exponentially by going up daily against Andrew Wiggans, Negus Webster Chan and Mathan-Reyes.

The majority of our best Canadian young talent has become part of elite programs whether AAU circuit or HS. Take a look at the next crop of National talent they all play HS ball in the US as did our last two Canadian NBA draftees Joseph and Thompson. These kids are benefitting from superior coaching, competition and exposure and as a result are getting full scholarships. Canadian ballers now starting to believe that they can become as god as anyone in the world. Every time I read an article or turn on the tv you are hearing about Cdn ballers. Players have always dreamed about playing in the NBA since the first time they touched a ball. Now they know they can make, because there has been a significant shift in the philosophy which Ontario and Quebec are spearheading and we lag behind. We need to enhance the current model to help these kids reach their optimum potential through highly elite coaching, competition and opportunity.

For all the above reasons, stop with the numerous rules and bureauracy and start thinking only about these kids and what's good for them. We all love the game and the passion runs deep, but jabbing at each other doesn't help anyone. How do find ways, find solutions to make basketball a priority and not an afterthought. Public forums, appeals to government, paying coaches, building more community programs and elite programs, marketing the game at the grassroots level. Steve Nash should be considered one of the best athletes in Canadian history, a kid from Victoria, he found a way. How was that way? How do we produce more like him. There will be at least two more Canadians drafted to the NBA this year, we are heading to uncharterd territory. ESPN sates that Canada will be a basketball powerhouse within the next decade. Will the Olympic roster be made of all Ontario or Quebec kids? Some may think my thought process is off but I'm getting tired of hearing how great bball is in Ontario and Quebec.

I do firmly understand and do not support kids that move over a block or conspire just to win a HS championship, but look at individual cases and support kids like Manroop and any coaches, schools, programs that are really trying to achieve excellence.

Last edited by Coach Mike on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Coach Mike wrote:
I did not want to re-visit the Kenneth situation but Im compelled to ask directly to Lyle if your comment about providing a teammates address and circumventing is directed to us. If it is then we need to have a personal conversation because as outlined in that thread it is totally to the contrary.

I have my own perspective on this dialogue that appears to be the most interesting and controversial theme on the site. I would like to discuss some real-life examples to illustrate my thoughts:

Do we actually believe that players not exposed to superior coaching and programs will develop substantially and greatly enhance their opportunity to play at the university level? What percentage of HS players in BC make university? 1 maybe 2%. I would really like to know the statistics on this. What is it in comparison to Ontario and Quebec? Far less, look at the National teams, they are primarily comprised of Ontario and Quebec players.

Every players aspirations when he grabs a basketball for the 1st time is to be the best that he can be and strive to play at the highest level not just representing his HS team. It is extremely evident in BC that not all programs are versed with higher coaching, competition and the continued development year in and year out for each player. I truly believe that a
player like Ken has blossomed as a student athlete ever since he's left Terrace (and that is no disrespect to his previous coach and program) and participated in the CP Program then Drive Academy. He was a relative unknown and a player with tremendous potential but in need of better competition and development to truly reach his full potential. I am certain he understood that and decided to make the choices he made to reach his goals and in doing so he has really improved and been rewarded with some CIS and NCAA recruitment. Ask yourself this, would it have been possible had he not made those decisions and before you answer with players from the interior like Olnyk and Wagner have I'll tell you that they were already highly skilled, well-coach and exposed players through BBC and NAtional team.

What about all the other players who don't fall into this category? What do they do to chase that passion, that burning desire to play university ball. How hard is it on coaches to watch these kids who they know love the game knowing that it's the end of the road for them in their last HS game. Had things been somewhat different could it have been better for them?

I will also use Manroop as another example. He was a very good player, didn't see much of the floor in Gr. 10, but came in to his own in Grade 11. I really believe his exposure with Drive Academy housing on his personal development and exposure to excellent competition in practice and games has elevated his game and confidence to another level and as a result he has significant D1 interest. He would have been arguably the best player in HS this year, but can you blame him for making the choices he has. Do you think by the end of the season that his game won't be better exponentially by going up daily against Andrew Wiggans, Negus Webster Chan and Mathan-Reyes as opposed to remaining at Burnaby South.

The majority of our best Canadian young talent has become part of elite programs whether AAU circuit or HS. Take a look at the next crop of National talent they all play HS ball in the US as did our last two Canadian NBA draftees Joseph and Thompson. These kids are benefitting from superior coaching, competition and exposure and as a result are getting full scholarships. Canadian ballers now starting to believe that they can become as god as anyone in the world. Every time I read an article or turn on the tv you are hearing about Cdn ballers. Players have always dreamed about playing in the NBA since the first time they touched a ball. Now they know they can make, because there has been a significant shift in the philosophy which Ontario and Quebec are spearheading where we are way behind and it's the simple fact of creating a model, system for these kids to reach their optimum potential through highly elite coaching, competition and opportunity. Where is the next great crop of BC kids? Ontario is developing them by the truck loads.

From more personal experience I was a kid who loved ball but had no real coaching or good program during my HS years and was prepared to move on without ball when I graduating in Gr. 11. I went to College as you do when graduating from HS in Quebec with no aspirations of playing, in fact I wasn't even recruited for college. The players on the team informed Coach Olga Hrycak (whose been a coach with the National Team and is the 1st woman CIS men's head coach in Canada) that I should be on the team. In my second year I lead the league in scoring, 1st All-Star team and made the Provincial team all based on her belief and mentorship that I could be a very good player, so we worked and worked. I went on to become a multiple time University all-star and won a National Championship and received invites to the Junior National and National B Team. No, this isn't a little resume about me, but was has resonated with me since the very first time Olga mentioned it to me and still lingers today, that she referred to me as a diamond in the rough and told me had I received the right coaching and been in the right program during my HS years I could have been that real special player.

For all the above reasons, stop with numerous rules and bureauracy and start thinking only about these kids and what's good for them. I do firmly understand and do not support kids that move over a block or conspire just to win a HS championship, but look at individual cases and support kids like Manroop and Ken trying to become the best they can be and realizing their dreams.

No Mike it wasn't - just a general reference.

I've seen coaches 'house' kids at their own house to try to get them eligible. I've seen parents pay for a townhouse for a kid to stay Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights at... on Friday to Sunday they stay at home. I've seen Alumni pay for a condos for players to live in for the year. I've seen parents 'house' other players - inlcuding taking legal guardianship so they can get kids eligible.

There are legitimate ways to move into catchment areas. When people try to skirt those rules. Then they can't be surprised when they get caught.
Back to top Go down
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:24 am

Lyle thanks for your response and I agree with your thoughts as I stated before and have always been against those that bend the rules. It isn't fair to players, coaches and programs. With regards to my previous message I have edited it as it was too personal and did not really reflect what I wanted to highlight so I would appreciate that you remove it from your blog. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
insider

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:11 am

The rules are stringent but also clearly stated. Whether a kid moves one block or hundreds of miles they are faced with the same rules. There are many ways to make it work within the rules. I think it's great that Walnut Grove coaches tried to do everything they could within what they thought were the rules. Unfortunately, they did not know the rules well enough to pull it off. I think it's clear everyone on this chat wants less stringent rules and kids to be able to choose without punishment. Lets also not come on this chat and promote one kids eligibility while knocking another kids...for example, Coach Mike wrote:

"I do firmly understand and do not support kids that move over a block or conspire just to win a HS championship, but look at individual cases and support kids like Manroop and Ken trying to become the best they can be and realizing their dreams."

Definition of Conspire: to agree together, especially secretly, to do something wrong, evil, or illegal

This is high school basketball. We need to choose our words wisely and not be bias just because some of us are directly involved. Lets be real, every kid that changes a school for basketball or any other reason is looking out for themselves first and has one thing on his/her mind, having a better experience playing or doing whatever it is they do. Lets either support all transfers and abolish all rules having to do with transfers or play within the rules stated. There should be no individual cases. Steve Nash transferred and sat out his grade 11 year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:55 am

insider wrote:
The rules are stringent but also clearly stated. Whether a kid moves one block or hundreds of miles they are faced with the same rules. There are many ways to make it work within the rules. I think it's great that Walnut Grove coaches tried to do everything they could within what they thought were the rules. Unfortunately, they did not know the rules well enough to pull it off. I think it's clear everyone on this chat wants less stringent rules and kids to be able to choose without punishment. Lets also not come on this chat and promote one kids eligibility while knocking another kids...for example, Coach Mike wrote:

"I do firmly understand and do not support kids that move over a block or conspire just to win a HS championship, but look at individual cases and support kids like Manroop and Ken trying to become the best they can be and realizing their dreams."

Definition of Conspire: to agree together, especially secretly, to do something wrong, evil, or illegal

This is high school basketball. We need to choose our words wisely and not be bias just because some of us are directly involved. Lets be real, every kid that changes a school for basketball or any other reason is looking out for themselves first and has one thing on his/her mind, having a better experience playing or doing whatever it is they do. Lets either support all transfers and abolish all rules having to do with transfers or play within the rules stated. There should be no individual cases. Steve Nash transferred and sat out his grade 11 year...

Well... Steve didn't quite sit out all of his Grade 11 year.

Steve did play the first weekend of the season with Mount Douglas before transfering to St. Michaels.

Then with St. Michaels in Grade 11 he played about 24 games. He played in tournaments and exhibition games - with the expection of games against South Island AAA teams. There was a gentlemen's agreement that he would not play in a tournament or exhibition game against a AAA team from the South Island. He of course did not play in league or post-season games - which SMUS went 8 in BC without him or Jamie.

It should be noted that at that time there were no restrictions to the nubmer of playdates you could play, the year next year, the year that SMUS won the BCs, SMUS went 50-4 (losing to Belmont from Victoria, Harry Ainlay from Edmonton and two games in Texas, this was after Jamie Miller and Milan Uzelac ran into each other [drawing blood] in semi-final warm-up and could not play that last two games).

Lyle
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:53 pm

I could not agree with you more Coach Mike. Your family's guidance and the philosophy of seeking excellence is one of the reasons your son is the top grade 10 player in the province (or at at least of the one's I have seen) and is an outstanding young man.

Kids do not want to move - they want to pursue their dreams. Kids will not transfer if they are satisfied with the competition, coaching or schooling near their home. But sometimes the programs aren't good or don't offer what a player needs (in their opinion). We should not be protecting weak programs from competition by overly restricting player transfers - let them decide. That is not to condemn those schools - not every school can provide excellence in basketball - nor should they all seek to. They may offer the best math program and attract the best math students from around the province.....

In any event, elite players will pursue opportunities outside BC if the excellence they desire is not available here. That is why Manroop left, that is why others will go and it is why most of the top players pursue D1 scholarships (or some CIS opportunities outside BC). Thank goodness the BC rules do not prevent kids from transferring outside the province.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX   Today at 6:10 pm

Back to top Go down

Manroop Clair transfers to Trent Int'l. in TX
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next