HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

blowout gamers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coach LeBlanc

PostSubject: blowout gamers   Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Just saw that one team beat another team (don't need to mention what teams) by 130 pts!!!!! What is wrong with this picture. What kind of values is a coach saying to his players!! I lost to the same team by 35 pts and they where pressing with 2 minutes left!!!! Something as to be done!! It doesn't feel good losing by so much and the coach should be ashamed of himself. And after the game the coach tells me its the way they play the game...please. basketball as no room for somebody like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
We talkin bout practice

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 pm

If you scroll through the past topics you will find this exact same topic probably a dozen times or more. Hate to say it but crying to the hooplife members wont change coaching styles in the province. But who knows maybe this will be the post we all look back on someday and say "That post inspired us all to play the opposing teams level regardless of ability".... However I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
no-zone-d

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm

coach LeBlanc wrote:
Just saw that one team beat another team (don't need to mention what teams) by 130 pts!!!!! What is wrong with this picture. What kind of values is a coach saying to his players!! I lost to the same team by 35 pts and they where pressing with 2 minutes left!!!! Something as to be done!! It doesn't feel good losing by so much and the coach should be ashamed of himself. And after the game the coach tells me its the way they play the game...please. basketball as no room for somebody like that.

That same coach better not complain when one of his players gets hurt because a player from the team getting embarassed loses his composure and takes matters into his own hands. It won't be the right thing to do, but it could very easily happen. There is nothing that says you have to stop trying, but pressing with two minutes left up by more than 100 points is a joke. He will do that stuff against Odysee, but I bet this coach won't try and pull that kind of stuff when his team plays Harrison Trimble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThePhoenix

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:03 am

Hey Leblanc, listin to talkin bout practice and go read the most recent topic on this. maybe you will learn something?

And A coach shouldn’t complain if one of his playas gets hurt because another player is a sore loser? I'm so confused. So should he clap and applaud?
I know what your answer is: then just don’t beat teams by so much
FACTS: Some teams are talented, work hard, and win basketball games.
MORE FACTS: some teams don't have the skills, don't try, and lose basketball games.
But you’re right, its probably the good teams fault for being so good. How dare them! They better ease it up. Maybe they should try and put some baskets in for the other team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
no-zone-d

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 am

ThePhoenix wrote:
Hey Leblanc, listin to talkin bout practice and go read the most recent topic on this. maybe you will learn something?

And A coach shouldn’t complain if one of his playas gets hurt because another player is a sore loser? I'm so confused. So should he clap and applaud?
I know what your answer is: then just don’t beat teams by so much
FACTS: Some teams are talented, work hard, and win basketball games.
MORE FACTS: some teams don't have the skills, don't try, and lose basketball games.
But you’re right, its probably the good teams fault for being so good. How dare them! They better ease it up. Maybe they should try and put some baskets in for the other team?

FACT: Not every school has the same number of students, feeder schools, resources, etc.
ANOTHER FACT: No one said they had to stop trying. Pressing in the last two minutes up by over is 100 is actually funny. Makes the coach look like an idiot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 am

Here's a question (eventually).

BNB, Canada Basketball, Elite Development Club programs in NB are all espousing a certain style of play. It involves being skilled, attacking at both ends, heavy emphasis on individual skill and making certain reads in certain situations. There is also a demand of playing at pace for 40 mintues.

NBIAA is offering a management system for high schools to be albe to compete and play under.

One is concerned with basketball development of players and culture in this province. One is concerned with whatever school principals/ dept of education mandate they are concerned with. There are teams made up of predominantly players who have the skill set and aptitude of former, that are mandated to play teams who only exist because of the later.

When they play and things go bad whose fault is that?

I've beaten teams by 80+ points while talking to the other teams coach about what they want us to work on, who they want us to play, making kids do stuff outside of their comfort zone and area of expertise. Was I being an idiot obviously not, but at some point better gets are just better.

I always here people jump up a cry out they can be passing it around, or playing their bench kids or working on offense. The offense most of the best players on this provicne are working on is beat your defender and finish or draw help so your temmates can move and they can finish. There is a move away from patterned offenses and slowed down games. Asking teams to do that once they've got a lead is in fact creating negative habits in them. What if the bench is still that much better, how many games a year do you sit the starters?

I wouldn't press up 100 with two minutes left, but we would still be working to get turnovers and break out.

I'm not condoning or condemming anyone's actions. The fault can't lie with either party both are trying to do the right things by their kids. Whether that is developing elite level athletes or just having a team. The issue lies in the requirements that they play in a competitive setting where the score difference matters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThePhoenix

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:14 am

no zone do re-read. no one said anything about pressing while up by 100. it was mentioned that a team pressed while being up 35. not the same.

also, I know some schools that blow out much bigger schools then them. Example, teams like Harvey, McAdam, and DPCS in "A". these schools are not big at all, yet they crush a lot of schools that are easily bigger then them. and as far as resources, neither McAdam or DP has a very big gym, and deffinitly doesnt have a big basketball budget.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach to Develop

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:50 am

CoachDJR wrote:
Here's a question (eventually).

BNB, Canada Basketball, Elite Development Club programs in NB are all espousing a certain style of play. It involves being skilled, attacking at both ends, heavy emphasis on individual skill and making certain reads in certain situations. There is also a demand of playing at pace for 40 mintues.

NBIAA is offering a management system for high schools to be albe to compete and play under.

One is concerned with basketball development of players and culture in this province. One is concerned with whatever school principals/ dept of education mandate they are concerned with. There are teams made up of predominantly players who have the skill set and aptitude of former, that are mandated to play teams who only exist because of the later.

When they play and things go bad whose fault is that?

I've beaten teams by 80+ points while talking to the other teams coach about what they want us to work on, who they want us to play, making kids do stuff outside of their comfort zone and area of expertise. Was I being an idiot obviously not, but at some point better gets are just better.

I always here people jump up a cry out they can be passing it around, or playing their bench kids or working on offense. The offense most of the best players on this provicne are working on is beat your defender and finish or draw help so your temmates can move and they can finish. There is a move away from patterned offenses and slowed down games. Asking teams to do that once they've got a lead is in fact creating negative habits in them. What if the bench is still that much better, how many games a year do you sit the starters?

I wouldn't press up 100 with two minutes left, but we would still be working to get turnovers and break out.

I'm not condoning or condemming anyone's actions. The fault can't lie with either party both are trying to do the right things by their kids. Whether that is developing elite level athletes or just having a team. The issue lies in the requirements that they play in a competitive setting where the score difference matters.

I was there for the Odysee game, where RHS beat Odysee by 130+. There is an INSANE difference in talent level for these two schools. RHS has 4 players that played on the BNB U17 team. They played a total of 10 minutes that game. Only 2 or 3 minutes as a starting group. The rest of the time they were mixed in with non-starting players. The "infamous" press was pulled off after 37 seconds. The score at that point was 9-0. Odysee couldn't even inbound the ball on full court pressure. The half court defense that RHS plays is very good. And I agree with DJR, that bad habits shouldn't be allowed simply because your competition is weaker. RHS simply shot the gaps on soft passes and ended up with layups.

I don't feel this is anyone's fault here. The fact is that Odysee is in the same conference as RHS and they have to play each other. It isn't like they have a choice. I agree with DJR that Canada Basketball and BNB wants players to be taught certain skills. One of those are playing at a high level with speed and still making good decisions. That is how RHS is trying to play. Not because it will beat teams by larger margins, but because that is what players are being recognized for these days. Any university coach that is scouting a game is not looking for players that are not aggressive, they want players that are superior talent wise and play the game at a high level.

I should also mention that Auburn beat RHS by close to 30 their first game, and by close to the same margin the second game. I didn't see RHS threatening to throw punches in that game at their competition simply because they were a better team. Benches weren't played by either team until under 2:00 in that last game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MillRat

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 am

If I'm playing a team that I can beat by 40 with my eyes close i'm not playing my starters, zero press, regular man to man defense not trapping anything, not fast breaking, just running regular sets on offense, no need too crash the boards on this one boyz, I'm just making this game go by as quick as I possible can. We all have to play certain teams that are weak at times and there is no need to let the dogs that spit stinging bees beat somebody by 100. just relax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hellishhayde

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:48 pm

I've seen a lot of blowout games, and for the most part its no big deal but when you take a little embarasement and toss gasoline onto it by not keeping your players on the winning team sportsman like and not bloating or playing dirty and fouling every chance they get it usally ends up with an angry opposing team. In the end it just make both teams look bad, these blowout games are the cause of the colapse of basketball programs in my community, people play to have fun be active ect, even if the other team is going to lose I think boosting scores is just a little ridiculus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer04

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:32 pm

they werent necessary pressing to score, teams need to practice plays and presses to get better. It helps to do it on other teams then just your own team. so calm down look at it from my view. i know from experience so take a chill pill everyone!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: blowout gamers   Today at 3:25 pm

Back to top Go down

blowout gamers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1