HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Game Results 2011-12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Islandview

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:21 pm

SMUS beat Parkland 50-20. Next up for SMUS, first round of Oak Bay junior tournament Thursday vs. Pitt Meadows
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Saints doesn't play for a month? Thats a bit odd. Are they practicing? Hopefully they don't forget how to ball!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm

M-5 wrote:
Saints doesn't play for a month? Thats a bit odd. Are they practicing? Hopefully they don't forget how to ball!

I share your view.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm

They (saints) must be travelling to tourneys over the holidays. Being a private school, dont they get 3 weeks off for Christmas? I don't think the info above is correct cuz they have pretty high standards and I don't think the coach nor the parents would allow no games for over a month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:20 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
They (saints) must be travelling to tourneys over the holidays. Being a private school, dont they get 3 weeks off for Christmas? I don't think the info above is correct cuz they have pretty high standards and I don't think the coach nor the parents would allow no games for over a month.

I am a parent of a player on the team. No games from today until Jan 13th. No mandatory training over holidays. Only played 5 games so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cj35

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:35 pm

I don't think Saints will "forget to ball"...in fact the basketball season is very long and heavy on games and not enough practice.

Rusty the first game back...probably...but I would bet much better in defensive rotations and execution down the stretch for the rest of the season. And probably fresher physically and mentally as well.

What what you want in a classroom 30 tests in 2 months or a little less and some time to learn?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:51 am

A long string of practices wears on you. It gets monotonous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mocu

PostSubject: Results- thoughts on blogs before   Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I have had a chance to see some of these strong teams play and it looks to be an impressive season for BC Junior Basketball.

It seems that the island had an upset against VC, however, from what I know of the upset- VC was missing 2 starters due to injury and illness- their center and thier point guard(I think they were missing a total of 6 players all together with injury- at least thats what it looked like for their bench). I won't take away from Claremont as they are a great team, and will be a force to be reconed with all season long. Hopefully Claremont will get more tough games, as they deserve to play strong teams so that they continue to get better.

As for Saints- there are many schools of thought as to them taking a break and knowing their program continues to be strong year after year, I would assume their coaching staff knows what they are doing. I am sure their players will still hit up a gym somewhere and work on their skills- that is what great basketball players do. They put time into their sport. And I agree, a mental break is what everyone needs as we move from pre-season to league season.

So up for this weekend- Drive Tournament and Oak Bay tournament. Are there any other tournaments to watch out for as we move into the Holiday break?

Looking forward to hearing more about results and teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:32 pm

mocu wrote:
I have had a chance to see some of these strong teams play and it looks to be an impressive season for BC Junior Basketball.

It seems that the island had an upset against VC, however, from what I know of the upset- VC was missing 2 starters due to injury and illness- their center and thier point guard(I think they were missing a total of 6 players all together with injury- at least thats what it looked like for their bench). I won't take away from Claremont as they are a great team, and will be a force to be reconed with all season long. Hopefully Claremont will get more tough games, as they deserve to play strong teams so that they continue to get better.

As for Saints- there are many schools of thought as to them taking a break and knowing their program continues to be strong year after year, I would assume their coaching staff knows what they are doing. I am sure their players will still hit up a gym somewhere and work on their skills- that is what great basketball players do. They put time into their sport. And I agree, a mental break is what everyone needs as we move from pre-season to league season.

So up for this weekend- Drive Tournament and Oak Bay tournament. Are there any other tournaments to watch out for as we move into the Holiday break?

Looking forward to hearing more about results and teams.

Good points. It's very tough to determine relative strength of teams when players are missing from lineups -- which is the case with most teams at this time of year due to other sports and Christmas holidays, etc. VC will be stronger with its missing players back, other teams will also improve throughout the course of the year, and some teams may be peaking now. Regardless, should be a great season!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Missing Players   Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Teams should be able to play without some players - having depth is part of the strength of the team. However, if Will Latu (their centre) was missing from VC's lineup against Claremont, that would be a fundamental difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Grade 9 Prov tourn Results   Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Does anyone know the final tournament rankings from the grade 9 provincial tournament last year? There were never any results posted on the tournament website. I think VC beat Kelowna in the finals, but I am interested in the final rankings. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

Saints does not play another game for a month when it plays in the independent school tournament beginning January 13th. They then play VC on the 18th.

The number of games the junior basketball team at Saints plays and the quality of these games remained a problem. Every year VC played close to 10 games before Saints even played its first. The independent school tournament is no challenge at all. So come January 18th the Saints team hasn’t really been tested. However, I believe Saints will have home court advantage for its first game against VC so that would help. And I feel Saints Junior team this year has a lot of talents to overcome lack of experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:58 pm

[quote="Mark Scott"]
Does anyone know the final tournament rankings from the grade 9 provincial tournament last year? There were never any results posted on the tournament website. I think VC beat Kelowna in the finals, but I am interested in the final rankings. Thanks[/quote]

Mark, email Rob Slavik @ rts77@telus.net. He runs the tournament and I'm sure he could help you with what you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bostonstrangler

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:16 am

Lefon Jang wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Saints does not play another game for a month when it plays in the independent school tournament beginning January 13th. They then play VC on the 18th.

The number of games the junior basketball team at Saints plays and the quality of these games remained a problem. Every year VC played close to 10 games before Saints even played its first. The independent school tournament is no challenge at all.

Isn't SMUS ISA? They came 2nd in provincials last year - surely must be a bit of a challenge for Georges?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:51 am

Bostonstrangler wrote:
Isn't SMUS ISA? They came 2nd in provincials last year - surely must be a bit of a challenge for Georges?

SMUS was a challenge in grade 9 but by grade 10 they tend to move their good players up to varsity. I don’t think VC has moved anyone up and neither has Saints. This is a tough year for the independent league as they only get half a berth to the provincial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
r-macbball

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:27 am

Since college is hosting the bc,s they should get the auto berth, so Saints will have to play van2 for a berth...not sure tho
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Lefon Jang wrote:
Bostonstrangler wrote:

SMUS was a challenge in grade 9 but by grade 10 they tend to move their good players up to varsity. I don’t think VC has moved anyone up and neither has Saints. This is a tough year for the independent league as they only get half a berth to the provincial.

SMUS finished second to White Rock Christian in the Grade 10 provincials last year. They have not moved any Grade 10s up to senior this year, nor did they last year. This year's SMUS junior team, which includes 3 Grade 9s, gave Vancouver College a good battle in an exhibition last weekend, tied late in the third quarter and eventually losing by 11. SMUS will play in the ISA tournament the first week of January with St. George's and VC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach_E2L

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:10 pm

I heard Pitt Meadows beat SMUS in overtime yesterday at the Oak Bay tourney. Any confirmations?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Saints    Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Saints has not moved up any grade 10s this year, though I think Drew should be playing senior. The Saints team starts three new players this year and is quite deep with not much drop off from the bench. Drew Urquhart (gr 10) 6'7", Ethan Scott (gr 9) 6"1" and Derek Safnuk (gr9) 6'4" are the new starters. For those few people interested someone has posted highlights of Saints' game against St. Pats. http://tinyurl.com/7jneuhq

SMUS had an excellent gr 8 team and their 9s playing up are very good. The ISAs should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Coach_E2L wrote:
I heard Pitt Meadows beat SMUS in overtime yesterday at the Oak Bay tourney. Any confirmations?

Yes, I can confirm that.

Pitt Meadows beat SMUS 57-54 in OT in the first round of the Oak Bay Tournanment. Great game with each team fighting back from 10-point deficits. Pitt hit a shot at the buzzer to send it into OT. SMUS missed a contested lay-up near end of OT that would have tied it.

First Day results of Oak Bay jr. tourney

Lambrick Park def. Mount Douglas by about 5
Oak Bay def. Belmont by about 30
Claremont def. Dover Bay by about 30
Pitt Meadows def. SMUS 57-54 (OT)

Today's Games
Pitt Meadows vs. Lambrick Park
Claremont vs. Oak Bay
SMUS vs. Mount Douglas
Belmont vs. Dover Bay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
Saints has not moved up any grade 10s this year, though I think Drew should be playing senior. The Saints team starts three new players this year and is quite deep with not much drop off from the bench. Drew Urquhart (gr 10) 6'7", Ethan Scott (gr 9) 6"1" and Derek Safnuk (gr9) 6'4" are the new starters. For those few people interested someone has posted highlights of Saints' game against St. Pats. http://tinyurl.com/7jneuhq

SMUS had an excellent gr 8 team and their 9s playing up are very good. The ISAs should be interesting.

Great mixtape but don’t know if it’s a good idea to show your cards so soon in the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

It's interesting that Drew Urquhart transferred to St.George's this year from Kelowna for Grade 10. I know Tylon Barker, now playing Senior for the Saints, transferred to St. George's as well for his Grade 10 year. My question - doe St.George's offer athletes any financial assistance to attend their school. If so, do they disclose this information about the amount of money they are providing these kids to attend school to assist with tuition and/or living costs. We live in a world of full financial transparency. I would like to know the answer to this question , and assuming the answer is yes, is it legitimate for a private school to pay tuition assistance and then compete with public schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Geddy wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

It's interesting that Drew Urquhart transferred to St.George's this year from Kelowna for Grade 10. I know Tylon Barker, now playing Senior for the Saints, transferred to St. George's as well for his Grade 10 year. My question - doe St.George's offer athletes any financial assistance to attend their school. If so, do they disclose this information about the amount of money they are providing these kids to attend school to assist with tuition and/or living costs. We live in a world of full financial transparency. I would like to know the answer to this question , and assuming the answer is yes, is it legitimate for a private school to pay tuition assistance and then compete with public schools.

I am a parent of a Saints players. I am not aware directly of financial assistance to attend, though I suspect they provide financial assistance for scholars, musicians and athletes who are in need of financial aid and have achieved a level of excellence. The philosophy behind choice of schools and freedom (and the privacy of financial assistance) is probably beyond this particular topic, which is primarily for scores and team updates.

It is an interesting question you have raised and I would be pleased to discuss it on another topic if you think it deserves more attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:05 pm

[quote="Mark Scott"]
Geddy wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

I am a parent of a Saints players. I am not aware directly of financial assistance to attend, though I suspect they provide financial assistance for scholars, musicians and athletes who are in need of financial aid and have achieved a level of excellence. The philosophy behind choice of schools and freedom (and the privacy of financial assistance) is probably beyond this particular topic, which is primarily for scores and team updates.

I suspect you are correct that St. George's is providing financial assitance to players. The website makes it clear that athletic scholarship support is available, but do not go into details. FYI, CIS is very transparent about what they provide for student athletes. They have to because public funding is involved, therefore transparency is critical.

Where there is smoke, there is fire, and a great player who just happens to move to St.George's from Kelowna for Grade 10 gives the perception of the R word (recruiting). Rightly or wrongly, this one just looks bad. Optics are very important for a prestigious school such as St.George's. Privacy of financial assistance in one case (Drew) does not outweigh the greater good of high school basketball in B.C and insuring equal access, we need more transparency. We are not an American system of sports. St. George's should provide disclosure regarding how much they pay some of the boys on their basketball team. The bigger question is, does a payment of money to by a private school to a basketball player, in any form, consitute recruiting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:17 pm

I apologize for my copying mistake in my previous post. I do not want to leave the impression that I am a parent from St.George's. The first paragraph was a copy of "Mark Scott" 's reply to a post I made. Apologies to Mark Scott as I did not mean to leave the impression that some might take if they read the post out of context.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game Results 2011-12   Today at 1:09 pm

Back to top Go down

Game Results 2011-12
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next