HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Recruiting in Calgary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
calgaryhoops

PostSubject: Recruiting in Calgary   Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm wondering peoples thoughts on coaches recruiting. This seems to be an issue in Calgary with several coaches being notorious for recruiting year after year. I thought the ASAA was cracking down on this, but after seeing the "recruiting class" of a few Calgary teams its obvious the ASAA is doing nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Come up to Edmonton and check out some of the stacked rosters. ASAA is trying to deal with the issue but not successfully yet. It is a very complex issue with no easy solution.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kraull

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 pm

I know this thread is "Recruiting in Calgary", but I have to argue the point about Edmonton. There does not seem to be any recruiting done for this years Edmonton teams. They actually look to be fairly even in skill with very few "all-stars". Lots of players at the same level of skill. This will mean discipline and coaching will make the difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgaryhoops

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:40 pm

So what your saying is that before this season Edmonton had major recruiting issues?
What provoked my question was seeing st marys girls. Its not just once in a while with this team, its every single season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:44 am

I know the rules are clear that from grade 9 to 10, anything goes. The students are free to go to whichever school they want to.

Movement after grade 10 is different. I hear that Calgary schools are a little more strict about the movement, but once a parent shows a change of address then nobody cares.

I think a lot of the issues is that people complain on Hooplife but nobody brings up issues to the ASAA. Whether there is a Principal's code- I don't know. Knowing coaches that have lost players to other schools, one wonders if you ever want the player back. Do you want them to stay at your school or do you want them to sit out a year out of spite? I think that coaches, players and fans all know about the recruiting and movement but nothing formal ever gets to the ASAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathstar11

PostSubject: not surprised   Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:43 am

not surprised at all. win at all costs, then pad their resumes so that when it comes to coaching club teams, pull out the resume, "look what i've done", then demand $$$$$ .
someone's getting rich off of this racket. Must be following the NCAA model. Mind you, a few recruiting violations is nothing compared to the dogs breakfast that the NCAA is dealing with now (Sandusky, Fine, et all) Reminds me of the WHL (Graham James, Mike Danton story) for all the wrong reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgaryhoops

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:04 pm

I don’t know how someone could consider themselves a coach when all they do is recruit players. There more of a sales person than anything. I’m curious how many athletes go to these schools and then regret it half way through the season. What’s the process in approach the ASAA about these situations? How come all the consistent grade eleven and twelve transfers, year after year, to a school doesn’t raise red flags? Back to my Marys example, everyone knows the coach recruits heavily for both basketball and football yet nothing is done about it. What do other coaches think of schools like this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Serious accusation. I've thought this over for the past couple of days and I can only think of two players who have transfered into Mary's over the last 5 to 8 years. Three years ago a really good player came to the school in grade 11 from Springbank and the other is a grade 12 girl that came to Mary's this season from Airdrie. Other than new grade 10 players, I'm not sure. Can you elaborate?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: recruiting...or selective choices by parents and families....   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Club basketball was a big part of students initially switching schools ...kids play together with better calibre players and enjoy the increased level of play..... followed closely by the provincial players wanting to travel together....it is not new that students want to do this...it seems Grandin had a pile of players last year switch schools in September, 5 from one school one from a school closer and one from out of town travelling to Grandin .....now thats a story don't you think ... the school boards met over this issue and nothing became of it as parents determine where there students /athletes go to school....every year students switch schools for either personal reasons -family splits or conflicts with a coach,closer vicinity to a new school, etc....girls are not immune to this as well as they are becoming full time athletes and want more competition...Western Canada , Churchill have had numerous students show up on there doorstep from Cochrane and such places......Katie Armbruster went to Churchill as a grade 10 a s she has a choice as a grade 10 as was mentioned earlier....Juniors daughter transferred from Springbank to Churchill etc.... Emily Larson transferred to Springbank from Marys.....Seminuk girl went to Western even though the rest of the family went to Grandin....personal choices .....all schools have a recuiting night open house type of evening where the school tries to sell there product to wide opened grade 9's ....which comes dowm to marketing and salesmanship....the best fit for each student the way it should be ...as mentioned earlier open season for grade 9's ....happy hunting .....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 am

The problem I think that was first discussed is not the movement from 9 to 10. That is open season ans schools have multiple programs to bring those kids in. Drama, band, IB, AP, etc. all bring in students. It is the movement after grade ten that is becoming a issue that the ASAA has bylaws against that do not seem to be enforced.

I guess there are two schools of thought:

One, build your program so that kids want to stay in your school.

Two, how fair is it to other players to just be a holding tank for grade ten until some kid decides he want to play at Ainley, Grandin or wherever? Also, what about the players who currently play at that school and suddenly find themselves without a spot on a senior team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 am

ASAA needs to create a 5A category and any players who come into your school from out of district and play on a team should then have the home schools population added to the current school. So if you where a 3A school and you had a player come in from a 4A school to play on your team that would push your school up in population. Coaches would then need to decide whether a player joining their team was worth the bump in combines population. Then recruiting from a competitve standpoint becomes mute. Just a thought( this is what is done in hockey).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bballdad

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:41 pm

I have no idea where bballspirit is getting their information from. There are no recruiting issues in Edmonton. And creating a 5A? WTF is that all about????!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: edmonton    Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:45 pm

b ball dad affraid ... ur funny lol! !!!!!! santa afro
------must be close to one of the teams ....so sensitive...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:59 am

Fun little discussion but no one has offered any concrete evidence that there is improper recruiting going on. Rumours and accusations. No wonder the ASAA hasn't done anything about it. Doesn't appear to be anything for them to investigate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgaryhoops

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:17 pm

What kind of evidence is needed? I know players who have received emails. parents asked to meet off campus, offers to receive a tour of the school. Stuff like this is happening at one school. Things are not as clean as people may think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedJacketU17HC

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:05 pm

I agree with the idea of 9-10 being a free for all but after that movement should be limited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:35 am

calgaryhoops wrote:
What kind of evidence is needed? I know players who have received emails. parents asked to meet off campus, offers to receive a tour of the school. Stuff like this is happening at one school. Things are not as clean as people may think.

...and if coaches do not know a that a 'stud' is moving to his school then they are either stupid or a liar. The rumours get out very quickly in a small community.

However, the coaches may not actually be recruiting. Of course players do a lot of it. The coach may not be doing anything wrong. But, the point is there are ASAA rules that are not being enforced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: recruiting ..   Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:41 pm

information nights and tours are a way for students to get a feel for the size and climate of a school. in both Edmonton and Calgary these tours are well orchestrated with staff and students of the host schools. It is very competitive bounce and quite a production recruit these grade 9 students who as one post said earlier are open season for RECRUITING Basketball .......bottom line is some students flourish where they fit in .... Basketball For a reference go to ASAA web site and read the transfer policy etc...a lot of mis-information is out there and usually gets embelished as the story goes...happy holidays to all .... santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:40 pm

I just heard that a coach up there in Calgary at a very prominent high school boys program was suspended for recruiting violations. Does anyone have any information as to which school this is and which coach was suspended?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaq

PostSubject: Recruiting   Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:17 am

The problem with dealing with recruiting violations is that in order for anyone to report the violation, all of the details, including names, would need to be presented to the ASAA enforcement officer. As this is obviously a very small world, the reporter of the violation would very quickly become known. This is what prevents people from reporting the violations. In order for people to be comfortable with coming forward and reporting violations, which I know of many, people are going to have to be protected from having their identity known. If the people who have observed the recruiting can be confident that they can report it without having it blow up in their face, then, and only then, will the ASAA be able to remove the coaches who recruit players. It is my experience and opinion that most recruiting takes place when a larger school identifies a quality player at a smaller school. The usual (and frankly, understandable) position is that if the small school player moves to the bigger school, he or she, will be offered more exposure to university and college coaches. Anyone that understands basketball knows that bigger schools do not necessarily mean better basketball. There are schools around the province that offer quality programs, be it 1A or 4A. It is not the size of the school, it is the quality of the program. The university and college coaches know this. The people who don't really understand this are the parents who think their son or daughter is the next Steve Nash. This twisted view of their kids ability is what really fuels and facilitates the recruiting. You need willing sellers and buyers. The parents are clearly buying what the recruiters are selling. The ASAA needs to strongly enforce the "no-recruiting" policy and encourage students (and parents) to support the program that their skills were developed in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:12 pm

shaq wrote:
The ASAA needs to strongly enforce the "no-recruiting" policy and encourage students (and parents) to support the program that their skills were developed in.

It sounds like they are starting to enforce this. I was told that the ASAA suspended a varsity boys coach at one of the top schools up in Calgary for recruiting violations. Someone on this forum must have some information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaq

PostSubject: ASAA Club Ball and Basketball Alberta   Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Two of the problem areas for "recruiting" are club ball and Basketball Alberta zone/provincial teams.

Players can go and play on whichever club team they wish. This won't and shouldn't change. Players are exposed to new coaches and players on these teams. This is great. They can, however, easily be persuaded at this time to switch schools and play with these great players all the time. It is understandably attractive. Perhaps a way to reduce the recruiting is for any ASAA coach to be required to report the transfer of any players that they had and sort of contact with during the off-season. I don't think there is much else that the ASAA can do about this. If the ASAA has a list of transferred players, they can review this list and investigate who transferred and why. I suspect you would see the same coaches names appearing frequently. It is a starting point.

With regard to Provincial teams, I think that the use of high school coaches pretty much ensures that players are going to be recruited or in some way influenced.
I believe that a high school coach should want to have his players play on a Provincial team. If a coach recommends his player go try out for the BA Provincial team only to have the player recruited by another coach, then the support for BA crashes (which it pretty much has!). No coach wants to lose his best players! BA doesn't seem to really care about this. This is why many of the best players/programs don't have anything to do with BA. The ASAA and BA will need to fix this situation to 1) eliminate the very overt recruiting that takes place and 2) encourage coaches to want to send their best players to BA events/programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recruiting in Calgary   Today at 7:11 pm

Back to top Go down

Recruiting in Calgary
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1