HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Grade 10s playing senior ball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Grade 10s playing senior ball   Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Seems to be split around Calgary as some schools/coaches permit grade 10s to play senior and some don't. Does it harm/dilute junior ball? Does it hold the player back if he/she is capable of playing senior? Does it potentially take a 3rd year player's spot away if a grade 10 plays up? Think there should likely be a rule so its consistent across the province - just not sure which way the rule should go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball mom

PostSubject: Re: Grade 10s playing senior ball   Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:59 pm

I am surprised there haven't been more comments on this, as I think it ties into the recruiting of players. Many players are going to schools with the promise of playing on the Sr. team in grade 10. Where once this was hardly heard of, it is becoming more the norm. I think there should be a hard and fast rule that says grade 10's must play Jr. There are opportunities for Sr teams to pull up the grade 10s as guest players for tournaments etc. School ball is school ball. It should be played for school pride, playing with your peers and having fun. There are many other opportunities out there for more talented players to play at higher levels in club, and provincial programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: grade 10    Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Grade 10 playing Senior is a choice at each school ...depending on the school population etc...City schools have the luxury of having a junior team available to them however, most rural teams do not and those that do use there junior players to play both on the junior team and also on the senior team if good enough ...if a player has played at an older and higher level or provincial level why would you have them held back and play junior basketball when they would not be challenged ... why is it a bad word to pursue excellence in sports .... we strive for it in academics .....why not in athletics ....do we make an honor roll student go back and do grade 9 over again.....very few guys have played senior in grade 10 and been successful it is more prevalent in the girls based on the maturity factor etc ... growth and development .... so please consider all factors before condeming some schools for allowing grade 10's to play on the senior team.... and what is wrong with pursuing excellence ....you will never see it rnforced mandated at any level .... as it also applies to volleyball, soccer, field hockey as well....many club volleyball players are on the senior girls volleyball teams ....some schools are noted as volleyball schools and girls will be attracted to those schools ....just my observations ....happy new year to all... bounce Basketball afro lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Grade 10s playing senior ball   Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:59 pm

I agree it makes sense for the rural teams as they won't have the masses to choose from. I also agree that it seems to be easier for girls to fit in from a maturity standpoint. But for the city teams, it sure would be nice to see some consistency rather than a school or even coaches choice. I think if the player can be a starter then he/she should probably play senior. To come off the bench compared to being a leader on a JV team seems to be counterproductive to the development of the player. They will still have 2 more years of senior ball and that year of being the leader, getting touches in important times in games, getting the key defensive assignment or whatever the coach needs from a go-to player seems to me to be a real positive for player development.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justmyopinion

PostSubject: Re: Grade 10s playing senior ball   Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Grade 10's should not be playing Senior ball. We are taken spots from Grade 11 and 12 kids who should have the opportunity to play for there school. Dont tell me there are any Grade 10 that bring that much to a team that we deny opportunities to our Seniors (and if there are I would love to hear examples). I think schools who have to do this are saying we do a poor job of developing are palyers as grade 10's are new to the school and have been developed by other programs. Just my opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Grade 10s playing senior ball   Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 am

One example from a few years ago. As a grade 10 in the 4a provincial final, Jimmy Ralph had 36 points for Raymond when they beat Cardston. On the season, he averaged over 30 ppg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: grade 10's    Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:54 pm

That is a great example and there are stories every year where athletes are in a position to acheive excellence in athletics ...in all sports ....not just academics.... Basketball bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB1king

PostSubject: Re: Grade 10s playing senior ball   Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:14 pm

The Senior teams should not reject any Grade 10s from playing on their team. The coaches make decisions based on what they feel will bring their team into victory. If they see a Grade 10 who has something that they feel contributes to their vision, they should be allowed. However, I believe that if the Grade 10 athlete is placed on the team and rides bench, i feel that the coach is limiting the potencial the athlete has and ultimately making their team worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grade 10s playing senior ball   Today at 4:41 am

Back to top Go down

Grade 10s playing senior ball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1