HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Junior Boys Seeding System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
McCoach

PostSubject: Junior Boys Seeding System   Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 am

What does everyone think of the Seeding system being used? Does it work? Do you like the old system of coach choice of tier 1 or 2? Is there a system that would work better? Would a weekend seeding tournament work? Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketlife

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Seeding System   Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Personally, I think that the seeding as it is might not be the best way, it leaves pools with much stronger teams then others, for example any decent team that would be in the East Central div would have a very though time getting into Tier one as they would have to face off against imaculata ans St-Pats who are arguably top 3 best teams in the city. In the other extreme you would have a mediocre team like woodroffe or nepean make it to tier 1 because of no competition in the area. A weekend tournament would be best by my judgement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Seeding System   Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:43 pm

I've always thought going back to the old Coach decision or a tournament would be best. The current system could always put some of the strongest teams together, thereby relegating a dominant team to tier 2 and being way too strong.

If we went to a tournament where coaches could pre-rank their team as strong, average, or weak; and it would have to be a two weekend tournament designed to find out who really are the strongest teams. At the end of the tournament there would be a convener/coaches meeting to establish who plays in what tier.

43 teams play 3 random games each in the 1st weekend.
The Next weekend: Top 16 records then play within their own tournament single elimination. Next 16 play own single elimination. And then the bottom 11 their own tournament.

After ranking go to a 6 game season. This gets plenty of games and development time for every team.

That is just my opinion, and there are a lot of faults with this design, like cost, time consumption, gym bookings, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketlife

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Seeding System   Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:01 pm

That's a very good idea but when you come to think of it, all that effort and money put into it for simply the seeding in Junior basketball for Ottawa? I really doubt coaches would liek to go through with this keeping in mind that many of those teams aren't really in for that type of competition. This year we can only distinguish about 5 teams who are looking strong, the rest could be just there for fun with no real intent on getting far into the season. if the city was full of high level schools this would definitely be the way to go but i fear that's not the case. coaches decision would seem to me as the best option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Seeding System   Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Asking coaches to commit to three straight weekends just to seed is going to make it even harder for some schools to find coaches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Seeding System   Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:57 pm

Not sure I like the weekend tournament idea. It is unclear as to how the tournament removes the randomness of the division setup in the current system when you have teams randomly get matched up in the first weekend of the tournament. Let's say that this year Immaculata played against St. Pats and West Carleton in their first two games and lose. They end up playing tier two because they could not beat the top two teams in the tournament?

Letting the coaches decide has its drawbacks too. Especially in junior, you end up with coaches not really knowing what they have when they have to make their decisions. Not a lot of coaches are keeping tabs on what is happening in elementary teams and who ends up going to which schools. Admittedly, there is a better understanding of this with the boys than the girls as the girls season starts in september but the boys dont get going until the end of november so teachers might get some sense of how strong their team would be before hand (possibly).

My understanding of this new system is that it was brought in to allow teams to play other teams in their ability level so that strong teams were getting better by playing other strong teams and weaker teams were getting good competition at their level as well. The current system seems to address it but clearly it is not perfect. For example, it is possible that SRB could end up in tier two as they are only 1-3 in league play. Yet they have beaten teams that will be in tier one in tournaments and exhibition games but none of these games count. So, my suggestion is that for teams who would end up in tier two but the coaches feel belong in tier one, you let the coaches have the final say. A sort of hybrid from what has been suggested. I am not sure that you want to let a team relegated to tier one though to be able to say, we want to go to tier two, when they have already proven to belong in tier one. Just some things to consider.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Seeding System   Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:42 am

CoachC I am happy you brought up the girls league, as I know you have experience with the girls teams as well. The other thought that I have been contemplating is a lengthening of the Girls season to the end of November and playoffs finishing in mid December. This would bump the boys season to starting in January after Exams. The boys could start practicing in December and declare their tier the first week of January. This gives an equal opportunity for development of the girls as their season is very compact, and would allow junior boys coaches enough time to asses where the team's skill level is.

I know that there are a lot of flaws in both systems I have brought to the table, but I truly feel that the system currently being used is not the best option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Seeding System   Today at 9:05 am

Back to top Go down

Junior Boys Seeding System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1