HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

single A hs jcs girls. any good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
de96

PostSubject: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:26 pm

does anybody know how the john caldwell high school girls single A team is going to make out this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 pm

I think they are going to be quite good, a young, talented team, they will defnately be in contention for one of the spots at the final 12 in February.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 am

They are talented, but young and very inconsistent. This should be a learning year for them, but watch out the next couple of years. I understand there is a big game between them and Tobique tonight. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball2011

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:16 pm

John Caldwell defeated TV 77-58
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 pm

de96 wrote:
does anybody know how the john caldwell high school girls single A team is going to make out this year?

JC defeated Harbour View who in turn defeated GM. Not sure why 39 does not have JC #1?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Dug Sea wrote:
de96 wrote:

JC defeated Harbour View who in turn defeated GM. Not sure why 39 does not have JC #1?????

Injuries play a part in some of these scores. GM at the St. STephen tournament is an example as Brown apparently did not play all games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Dug Sea wrote:
de96 wrote:

Jess Brown did not play at all vs Harbour View on the weekend, I kid you not, between her dominance on defense and her guaranteed 25-30 points, she is worth a 40 pt swing when not in the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball2011

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:58 am

We need to see a game between GM and JC in order to know how all of this is going to go. JC is young, but very strong and have been playing together since mini
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball2011

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 am

JC also beat James M Hill at the Dalhousie tourni
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ProBaller

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:41 pm

They definately have the size and shooting ability, but do they have what it takes to get to the finals?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
de96

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:06 pm

one player does not make a team. if you shut out jessica brown then grand manan will loss. thats all the teams have to do when they play gm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Ah yes the "Jordan Rules" theory of basketball. Thank gawd someone came up with that so the Bulls didn't win all those championships.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 pm

de96 wrote:
one player does not make a team. if you shut out jessica brown then grand manan will loss. thats all the teams have to do when they play gm
True, if you can stop Brown you have a chance, then of course they do have a few other players, they have 2 other girls that finished 1st and 2nd in the 3 point contest at the St stephen Ganong/Rotary tounament last weeked, or how about the GM pairing that won the 2 ball shooting contest at the same tournament, the tournament that had Southern Vic, Sussex, Saint John High and St Stephen. They have a couple of "bigs" that are very good under the basket, as well as a very suffocating back court that causes a lot of turnovers. They push the ball and go 13 deep each and every game. They are the class of A ball and even tho you may be able to slow Brown down, she and the rest of the GM team are very difficult to score on. I am not saying they are unbeatable in A ball, but it will take a very special performance by one of the other top 4 A teams to slow them down.
In all of last year, only Anna Simonds had any luck slowing her down, I haven't seen any other players in A playing at her level. I see John Caldwell giving GM a run, I see Harvey closing the gap some before the end of the season, and perhaps Caledonia with a full squad could challenge them. A healthy GM will be very difficult to beat, I am not sure that "if you shut out jessica brown then grand manan will loss".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
de96

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 pm

39forever wrote:
de96 wrote:
True, if you can stop Brown you have a chance, then of course they do have a few other players, they have 2 other girls that finished 1st and 2nd in the 3 point contest at the St stephen Ganong/Rotary tounament last weeked, or how about the GM pairing that won the 2 ball shooting contest at the same tournament, the tournament that had Southern Vic, Sussex, Saint John High and St Stephen. They have a couple of "bigs" that are very good under the basket, as well as a very suffocating back court that causes a lot of turnovers. They push the ball and go 13 deep each and every game. They are the class of A ball and even tho you may be able to slow Brown down, she and the rest of the GM team are very difficult to score on. I am not saying they are unbeatable in A ball, but it will take a very special performance by one of the other top 4 A teams to slow them down.
In all of last year, only Anna Simonds had any luck slowing her down, I haven't seen any other players in A playing at her level. I see John Caldwell giving GM a run, I see Harvey closing the gap some before the end of the season, and perhaps Caledonia with a full squad could challenge them. A healthy GM will be very difficult to beat, I am not sure that "if you shut out jessica brown then grand manan will loss".

gm only beat jc at regionals last year by 5. they have gotten stronger but we will see as the season progresses. gm is comming down to john caldwell's tournament at the beginning of february. along with harvey. should be an interesting tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 pm

de96 wrote:

I spoke to some people who were at the St. Stephen tournament. The opinions expressed were fairly consistent regarding the Island girls.
1. They have a starting 5 that can compete with most teams in the province.
2. They can win the A division even if Jessica is shut down or is injured but it would make things more interesting.
3. The rolling of the lines which others have alluded to was the continued theme of the week end, even in losing efforts? Maybe they are after the "Sportsmanship Banner"
4.My sources would like to see them play the top AA or middle of the pack AAA teams with a short bench to see where this team stacks up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Slam Dunk wrote:
de96 wrote:

I spoke to some people who were at the St. Stephen tournament. The opinions expressed were fairly consistent regarding the Island girls.
1. They have a starting 5 that can compete with most teams in the province.
2. They can win the A division even if Jessica is shut down or is injured but it would make things more interesting.
3. The rolling of the lines which others have alluded to was the continued theme of the week end, even in losing efforts? Maybe they are after the "Sportsmanship Banner"
4.My sources would like to see them play the top AA or middle of the pack AAA teams with a short bench to see where this team stacks up.

Point 1. Agreed
Point 2. Would definately be interesting.
3. Rolling of the lines was in all games, even the losing efforts. Coach Sharpe has made it pretty clear that she wants the strongest, deepest team she can possibly have when it counts later in the season, first really meaningful game for GM will be Jan 19 vs Harvey.
4. Veysey has been doing all the scheduling for them, been trying to get games with AA and AAA schools, but the season is short and once you schedule home and home with league games, not alot of available dates left. GM plays 13-15 games in a 5 week span starting Jan.6, not counting Provincials and Regionals of course, tuff to do when you really can't play through the week. They do have a game at RNS scheduled as their last game of the regular season, should be a good one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:30 am

GM and Jc are the 2 best A teams in the province. Cal and Harvey are decent but just not in the same category. TV has the potential to make some noise. A 3 team race really but ibelieve you will see GM and JC at Harbour. GM has the experience and i think that will pull them thru.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:19 pm

celtic wrote:
GM and Jc are the 2 best A teams in the province. Cal and Harvey are decent but just not in the same category. TV has the potential to make some noise. A 3 team race really but ibelieve you will see GM and JC at Harbour. GM has the experience and i think that will pull them thru.
JC and Harvey played very close game at Valhalla with several lead changes late in the game.I think it depends on the day who wins there.
Back to top Go down
smrt

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 pm

de96 wrote:

your obviously from John Caldwell, so stop fishing for comments. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:11 pm

de96 wrote:
39forever wrote:
de96 wrote:

gm only beat jc at regionals last year by 5. they have gotten stronger but we will see as the season progresses. gm is comming down to john caldwell's tournament at the beginning of february. along with harvey. should be an interesting tournament.

Besides Grand Manan and Harvey, do you know who else is going to the JC tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
de96

PostSubject: not quite sure. not from that area of the province. i just heard about that tournament and those teams. ill keep you posted when i do hear   Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:00 pm

39forever wrote:
de96 wrote:
39forever wrote:
de96 wrote:

Besides Grand Manan and Harvey, do you know who else is going to the JC tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 pm

In girls play, John Caldwell defeats TV again by somewhere around 15 pts. Status quo. I did find out that he teams at the Caldwell tourny in early February will be Caldwell, Harvey, GM, TV, Dalhousie and Hartland. Could be some interesting matchups leading into regionals weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:49 pm

The Brown girl is that good, but why do we not hear any other names from the island? If she is injured Caldwell wins big.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:41 pm

baller24 wrote:
The Brown girl is that good, but why do we not hear any other names from the island? If she is injured Caldwell wins big.
First off, she is that good, secondly, she is fine now, just needed a couple of weeks off to rest the ankle, thirdly, they beat a much improved Stanley team without her, 5 girls with double figures, Grand Manan can hang with them even without Jess Brown. By the way, Stanley is hosting Harvey, Caledonia and Harvey this week at their tournament, Expect Stanley to surprise one of them, they are playing really well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Jess Brown did not play at all vs Harbour View on the weekend, I kid you not, between her dominance on defense and her guaranteed 25-30 points, she is worth a 40 pt swing when not in the game. [/quote]

is this turning into another ben beney phenom like posting? defence give me a break. 'a' players never seem to catch on to defence at speed til they move on to a real league
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Today at 9:04 am

Back to top Go down

single A hs jcs girls. any good?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next