HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

single A hs jcs girls. any good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:41 am

student wrote:

Jess Brown did not play at all vs Harbour View on the weekend, I kid you not, between her dominance on defense and her guaranteed 25-30 points, she is worth a 40 pt swing when not in the game.

is this turning into another ben beney phenom like posting? defence give me a break. 'a' players never seem to catch on to defence at speed til they move on to a real league
[/quote]

Student this is a little different than the beney phenom. It was his dad singing his praises where this is just a fan who is not that great with numbers singing the praises of Jess. It is only his humility which keeps him from sing the praises of his own daughter who is a prety darn good player her self.
I could not agree with you more that Jess needs to play against someone who is more experienced faster, bigger, and stronger. This past summer she worked out with the men, scrimmaged against the BNB boys team, and now she is working out with, scrimmaging against, and playing one on one against her coach Amanda Sharpe. Could you suggest another lady in the province who could challenge her a bit more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Send her to the FHS gym. I am sure the Appleby girl could give her all she could handle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Hahahahahaha......it suprises me student - that you would insult a player that is coached by former FHS Black Kat star; Amanda Sharpe, knowing how big a Black Kat fan you are....maybe you should 'adopt' the Grand Manan girls as your second favourite team....hahahaha.

Yeah....no one outside Fredericton city limits can play basketball.....geez.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Jess is the best player in A and would be a shoe in for All-Star in AA too. Realistically she would get pushed everyday in practice at any one of the best AAA teams in the province (FHS, LHHS, WHS, RHS, BMHS, KVHS), though she would probably get solid minutes for most of them.

FYI it is not just the a 1 girl team. GM has 3 girls at least that would be the best player on just about any other A team.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:33 am

exactly my point djr. it's a team sport. and it sets players up to fail bragging on them. didn't she spend abit of time at lhhs?you can't learn team man to man d without the games that push you. players that school you in TEAM play. how do you learn switches, help, reading , without a set of 10?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:29 am

student wrote:
exactly my point djr. it's a team sport. and it sets players up to fail bragging on them. didn't she spend abit of time at lhhs?you can't learn team man to man d without the games that push you. players that school you in TEAM play. how do you learn switches, help, reading , without a set of 10?

If you had read some of the earlier posts, that is exactly what Sharpe has got going on GM, a team game, using all 13 players every game, a fantastic TEAM mentality. Most teams have at least one star (you mentioned that about FHS yourself when you brought up the Allaby girl, but I am sure she has some talent around her), GM is no exception. Brown is the star but you can't win championships without the whole team, and Sharpe knows it. She is building for a championship as well as for the future. It is a very young team with 3 grade 12's, 1 grade 11, 7 grade 10's and 2 grade 9's. They will take a hit losing Brown, Wilson and Harvey next year, but this team will be strong for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:49 pm

If Brown does not play, GM does not win when we get down to final 4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm

baller24 wrote:
If Brown does not play, GM does not win when we get down to final 4.

Wilson and Harvey have won at least 5 provincial titles each, and were runners up on two other occassions. Josie Brown was part of three of those teams. Jess Brown was not a part of any of those teams. The young Park girl is showing great improvement every game, and is probably one of the girls coach djr is refering to as "would be the best player on any other "A" team."
Personally I think these girls have proven they can win with out Jess, but then, this all comes down to "If Brown does not play"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:06 pm

If she does play, its a lock though. Jon Caldwell will give them a great fight, they seem to have 10 girls that can all play. I think they are all grade 10's or younger, with their best being a grade 9 girl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:58 pm

baller24 wrote:
If she does play, its a lock though. Jon Caldwell will give them a great fight, they seem to have 10 girls that can all play. I think they are all grade 10's or younger, with their best being a grade 9 girl.

Nothing is a 'lock'....I think most everyone had TV winning last year, including me.....thats why they play the games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
de96

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:13 pm

John Caldwell beat Stanley by 23 in the finals of the Stanley tournament. their is some competition. how is Caledonia doing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:54 am

With these results, I think we have a new #1. Let us say home court is valued between 6-8 pts. We'll take the middle (7 pts) as a fair judgement. GM on their home court beat Stanley by 7.....so we subtract the 7 pts, we have a tie game. JC beat Stanley on their home court by 23...so we add 7 pts, we have a 30 point JC victory. Therefore, we have to assume on a neutral court, JC would beat GM by 30 points....so....we have a new #1:

1. J. Caldwell
2. Grand Manan
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV

Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 am

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
With these results, I think we have a new #1. Let us say home court is valued between 6-8 pts. We'll take the middle (7 pts) as a fair judgement. GM on their home court beat Stanley by 7.....so we subtract the 7 pts, we have a tie game. JC beat Stanley on their home court by 23...so we add 7 pts, we have a 30 point JC victory. Therefore, we have to assume on a neutral court, JC would beat GM by 30 points....so....we have a new #1:

1. J. Caldwell
2. Grand Manan
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV

As we all know, Rankings aren't worth the "paper" they are written on, but we do them just for fun, but, just remember with GM's win over Stanley, Brown only played some of the first quarter, and sat the rest of the game....just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:15 am

GM- I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not with your latest post but if you are serious on the 30 pt differance....i think you may need a bit of help! Without Brown, JC wins hands down. Otherwise, i believe it to be a close game. I think we have to leave GM at the #1 spot until proven otherwise. They have the experience when playoffs come around and i believe they will grind out the win

1- GM
2- JC
3- TV
4- STANLEY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:02 pm

GM is easily 30 points better than Stanley, with Jess playing. In my humble opinion.

39forever wrote:

1. J. Caldwell
2. Grand Manan
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV

As we all know, Rankings aren't worth the "paper" they are written on, but we do them just for fun, but, just remember with GM's win over Stanley, Brown only played some of the first quarter, and sat the rest of the game....just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 pm

1. J. Caldwell
2. Grand Manan
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV

That is way too much ciphering for "39 forever". The last time JC and GM played the islanders were victorious by 5 points. Since then GM has lost their two time atlete of the year, Whitney Clinch. Jc has lost no one. 39 you need to make the adjustment!

1. JC
2. GM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:19 pm

1. J. Caldwell
2. Grand Manan
3. Caledonia
4. Harvey
5. TV

So by your formula, let's look at this, GM beat Harvey by 32 in Harvey, Caldwell beat Harvey on a neutral court by 17, that equates to GM beating Caldwell on a Neutral court by 22, if your formula is correct....which is suspect right now. Matters not really, JC and GM are clearly the frontrunners right now, won't really matter until regionals weekend which, barring a huge disaster, should be on the Rock!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:52 am

For what its worth ..
1. GM - Pulling for them. Last time they won at the girls level cat eye glasses where in style.
2. JCS - Going into sectionals I would not want my best player to be a grade 9 .
3. Caladonia - Good young team last year.
4. Harvey - Young and improved. Good coaching.
5. Peti - Only because no one else picked them . And there better than they get credit for.
6. TV - New coaching staff with new ideas. Don't play anybody, don't practice and you will be rested for the end of the year when it counts.
7. Canterbury - Scrappy little team .
OOOOPs I forgot Stanley. O well sectionals will probably forget to invite them anyways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:26 pm

AA you are so right by saying you would not want to play big games with a grade 9 being your best. The good thing with JCS is that there is not much difference between best and worst, but they are so young, so the future is so bright.

If GM is healthy they win.....well I think. I also said this about Tobique last year. Never know what will happen on the big stage.

For what its worth now ( I know not much) RNS won the game last year, but they had a lot of help from #10 and #11 from Tobique pretty much throwing in the towel by taking fouls in the first quarter that were not needed. It was almost like they could not or did not want to play in that big game.

I mention this only because this big stage either brings out the best or the worst in players.

But guess what...RNS has a banner and that is all we will remember in the future. Congrats to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dwhat

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 am

baller24 wrote:

She played this weekend and they definately looked beatable especially in the final against JMA. Their bench did not look as deep as it has and they did not see the floor time they usually get to in the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Dwhat wrote:
baller24 wrote:

She played this weekend and they definately looked beatable especially in the final against JMA. Their bench did not look as deep as it has and they did not see the floor time they usually get to in the final.

Holiday basketball is never a good indicator to judge play on. One never knows the cirucumstances of practice time, being away,,,etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Girls A west is pretty much decided. Caldwell beat Tobique by 20 or so tonight. That should close the debate in the girls West.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Interesting result -- RNS over Harvey 72-60. Well fought game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 pm

casualobserver wrote:
Interesting result -- RNS over Harvey 72-60. Well fought game.
Seems like Harvey had a very good game, were you there and was it as close as the score indicated?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:54 pm

I'd say it was a fairly good representation. Both played their bench some, played their better players most. Hard to judge when both teams working on building players and competing at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Today at 5:46 am

Back to top Go down

single A hs jcs girls. any good?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next