HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

single A hs jcs girls. any good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:25 am

casualobserver wrote:
I'd say it was a fairly good representation. Both played their bench some, played their better players most. Hard to judge when both teams working on building players and competing at the same time.

The indicator to go by is this. RNS built up a lead in the first quarter and called off the dogs. Thinking if they wanted to continue it would have been 25 to 30pts .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
de96

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:36 pm

jc hosts home tournament this weekend. should finally clear some things up...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:10 pm

de96 wrote:
jc hosts home tournament this weekend. should finally clear some things up...

The only thing this will clear up is a few days off the calendar and getting closer to when it really counts. I would think some teams will go through the motions , key players may play they may not play, others will rest injuries,etc. Teams will probably show very little of what they really can do and will not tip their hand. Good to have some action though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:49 pm

JC wins the tournament. GM didnt even make it into the finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:14 pm

baller24 wrote:
JC wins the tournament. GM didnt even make it into the finals.

False sense of security or seeds of doubt , whatever way you want to look at it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:42 pm

At the Grand Falls Tourny, John Caldwell looked fantastic against St. Stephen in pool play, but then looked shaky against Harvey. GM looked solid vs Harvey and again vs Dalhousie, but had a horrible 3rd quarter vs St Stephen giving up almost 30 pts in that quarter, did well to lose by only 9. JC finished SS off in the final, beating them by 10. Caldwell girls are an amazing story considering how young they are, very impressive. Girls Bball is hard to figure out sometimes, you never know who is going to show up. Because of the tournament win, the edge has to go to Caldwell. Should be a good tournament on Grand Manan next weekend. Let's see if that long trip and home court advantage plays in. I hear it's going to blow 50 knots easterly, should be an interesting ferry ride over. You can get Gravol at any pharmacy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 am

JC girls should be the talk of the province. 99% grade 10 and under and have a very good chance at a title. Look out in the future, and now I am sure GM is aware.

this should put JCS at # 1 in these rankings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 am

39forever wrote:
At the Grand Falls Tourny, John Caldwell looked fantastic against St. Stephen in pool play, but then looked shaky against Harvey. GM looked solid vs Harvey and again vs Dalhousie, but had a horrible 3rd quarter vs St Stephen giving up almost 30 pts in that quarter, did well to lose by only 9. JC finished SS off in the final, beating them by 10. Caldwell girls are an amazing story considering how young they are, very impressive. Girls Bball is hard to figure out sometimes, you never know who is going to show up. Because of the tournament win, the edge has to go to Caldwell. Should be a good tournament on Grand Manan next weekend. Let's see if that long trip and home court advantage plays in. I hear it's going to blow 50 knots easterly, should be an interesting ferry ride over. You can get Gravol at any pharmacy.

Did Jesseca see limited action or did she play regularly all the games?

Last edited by Coachmac on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 am

Coachmac wrote:
39forever wrote:

Did Jessica see limited action or did she play regularly all the games?

Jess"e"ca played, Wilson did not. Once again the modesty of 39 over whelms me. He failed to mention that his daughter went down to injury vs St. Stephen early in to the second half and did not return.

IF the GM- JC matchup happens it should be a good one, but Harvey gave JC all they could handle until the end while they were missing one of their key players. It is possible that JC could be travelling to GM two weekends in a row, but it also just as possible GM could be travelling to Caledonia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:25 am

Dug Sea wrote:
Coachmac wrote:
39forever wrote:

Jess"e"ca played, Wilson did not. Once again the modesty of 39 over whelms me. He failed to mention that his daughter went down to injury vs St. Stephen early in to the second half and did not return.

IF the GM- JC matchup happens it should be a good one, but Harvey gave JC all they could handle until the end while they were missing one of their key players. It is possible that JC could be travelling to GM two weekends in a row, but it also just as possible GM could be travelling to Caledonia.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like some great basketball coming up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:30 am

Coachmac wrote:
39forever wrote:

She played lots in the games I watched and Grand Manan played well in the tournament.I was a little surprised that St Stephen beat them but not blown away as St Stephen looked very good in all the games I watched and shot the ball really well. I did not get to see the final, but that completely surprised me. I did not think JC would beat St Stephen or even be close.They had their hands full with Harvey in the semi and it was always with-in 3-4 points until the last 8 minutes.Full marks to them, they must of played very well.They are quick,move the ball, run the Pick and roll very well, and have decent outside shooting.
Back to top Go down
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:17 am

Lefty wrote:

She played lots in the games I watched and Grand Manan played well in the tournament.I was a little surprised that St Stephen beat them but not blown away as St Stephen looked very good in all the games I watched and shot the ball really well. I did not get to see the final, but that completely surprised me. I did not think JC would beat St Stephen or even be close.They had their hands full with Harvey in the semi and it was always with-in 3-4 points until the last 8 minutes.Full marks to them, they must of played very well.They are quick,move the ball, run the Pick and roll very well, and have decent outside shooting.

Did you mean that St Stephen losing to John Caldwell completely surprised you? Did St Stephen beat John Caldwell in the round robin?
I still think Caledonia is way better than they are getting credit for. I wonder what the rest of the scores looked like at the JC tourney? Was anyone else there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am

Did you mean that St Stephen losing to John Caldwell completely surprised you? Did St Stephen beat John Caldwell in the round robin?
I still think Caledonia is way better than they are getting credit for. I wonder what the rest of the scores looked like at the JC tourney? Was anyone else there?[/quote]

John Caldwell beat St Stephen in the round robin too, so it should not of surprised me, but I really did not think they would do it twice.They struggled aginst both Tobique and Harvey in other games, until later in the games when they pulled away some. They are for real, based on the weekend.I still think Grand Manan is a favorite, but JC may be pretty close.Caledonia is right there as well, based on the 3 or 4 games I have seen them play.
Back to top Go down
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 am

WEll right now JCS has the edge as they won the tourney though they didn't meet GM at any point.

(Scheduling intent on hoping they met in the finals/ hoping to see them without needing to play them *insert dramatic music*?)

Just stirring the pot, I'm sure JCS just wanted to see them in the final and assumed it would happen. Now the real question is this weekend. Gm took the ferry and drove 4 hours to play there, now JCS has to do the same. GM has home court and the much easier road to the finals (GM vs Canterbury and Probably TV) WHere JCS gets (Campo and Harvey). I think they should meet in the final but JCS has the much tougher semi.

Anything can happen. My guess is GM cause between tighter officiating, home court, no travel, senior leadership, easier road, . . . all things are not equal in this scenario and one of them has to play out in GM's favour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
de96

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:56 pm

i heard GM was not up to par. jess brown was missing alot of there shots but in the end that doesnt matter as they lost to st.stephen by 10 and JC beat them by 10 in the final game. i dont think GM is all thats cracked up to be. i agree with Birdman33 everyone is underestimating caledonia when they could be the team that comes out on top. they have a quick, all rounded team. GM is 1 girl running the show with 4 other girls following her. does anyone know why kim wilson on GM was not playing all weekend? i saw the score sheets and she had no points. and i know she is a fabulous shooter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

de96 wrote:
i heard GM was not up to par. jess brown was missing alot of there shots but in the end that doesnt matter as they lost to st.stephen by 10 and JC beat them by 10 in the final game. i dont think GM is all thats cracked up to be. i agree with Birdman33 everyone is underestimating caledonia when they could be the team that comes out on top. they have a quick, all rounded team. GM is 1 girl running the show with 4 other girls following her. does anyone know why kim wilson on GM was not playing all weekend? i saw the score sheets and she had no points. and i know she is a fabulous shooter.

Do you suppose that Kim Wilson not playing all weekend had anything to do with GM not being up to par? Anyone who knows Grand Manan knows Kim runs the show. She brings the ball up the floor faster with her head up, is very unselfish, and hits the open player. Kim is a fabulous shooter but an even better passer, who is content to let others do the scoring, but, if there is to much focus on the other GM players she can take the game over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defense14

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:09 pm

de96 wrote:

She tore her MCL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
de96

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Defense14 when did this injury occur and when will she be back on the court?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm

de96 wrote:

This is another Hilary Goodine injury situation. The "wrist" that was going to keep her out for a month or so but appeared suddenly within a few days. These injiuries have a funny way of surfacing in starting lineups when it counts the most. Be assured it will be the same here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Do you guys really think GM were going to show their whole deck at the JC tournament? I know Veysey is not coaching this year.... but come folks, GM are the masters of deception....everything is in their favor this weekend and they will be hosting next weekend as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm

celtic wrote:
Do you guys really think GM were going to show their whole deck at the JC tournament? I know Veysey is not coaching this year.... but come folks, GM are the masters of deception....everything is in their favor this weekend and they will be hosting next weekend as well!
So if they weren't at full strength then they should be ranked first, then Caledonia and JC in a tie for second.
Surely noone would play up an injury in high school ball...I just can't see it.
I wouldn't want to be JC going in to the hostile south with a bunch of grade 9's in charge. Then again maybe they are too young to feel the pressure that the more veteran teams will feel.
Caledonia has been playing strong teams in the Moncton area and just not reporting the scores. Not everyone does. I'm not going to be a conspriacy theorist and say they did it on purpose because that would contradict my earlier statement. However, if I were in Hillsborough, I'd be feeling like the rest of the province isn't taking my team seriously enough.
Is it true that Dave Macmullin is coaching the Harvey girls and boys?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defense14

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:23 pm

de96 wrote:

last i heard, just in time for regionals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Birdman33 wrote:
celtic wrote:
So if they weren't at full strength then they should be ranked first, then Caledonia and JC in a tie for second.
Surely noone would play up an injury in high school ball...I just can't see it.
I wouldn't want to be JC going in to the hostile south with a bunch of grade 9's in charge. Then again maybe they are too young to feel the pressure that the more veteran teams will feel.
Caledonia has been playing strong teams in the Moncton area and just not reporting the scores. Not everyone does. I'm not going to be a conspriacy theorist and say they did it on purpose because that would contradict my earlier statement. However, if I were in Hillsborough, I'd be feeling like the rest of the province isn't taking my team seriously enough.
Is it true that Dave Macmullin is coaching the Harvey girls and boys?

GM is not playing up Wilson's injury, she has been out for a month. Jess Brown might be the superstar on that team, but Wilson is the game manager. The problem with Brown handling the ball is that she can't pass to herself. Wilson make this team much more complete. GM has 3 legitimate 3 point shooters, a post game that will not be outmatched in "A" ball, and a couple of very under-rated girls whose defense will give anyone trouble. I like their chances. (Did I mention that Caldwell having to travel 3 hours, sail 2 hours in rough seas on a ferry that barely passed inspection 'cuz she's taking on so much water that the pumps can hardly keep up? Yea, I think I mentioned that.)
Dave McMullin is coaching the boys and when he's not doing that, he takes over on the girls bench. I can tell you this, the Lady Lakers play much more relaxed and under control when he's not there and when Fletcher can call his own game. I've witnesed it, let Fletch do his thing. Luckily for the Harvey girls, Dave will be tied up with the boys for the rest of the season. This is by no means a slam on DM's coaching ability, he has had plenty of success, it's just that sometimes, certain things don't fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:19 am

Does anybody else find this ironic? Since day 1, we have talked about JC girls vs. GM girls showdown...yet...the GM boys will play JC boys first, in round 1.

What, the Harvey girls need a coach? Hmmmmm.

Forever39 - you talk of GM's defense...but, didn't you say they gave up close to 30 points in a quarter to SSHS? I wouldn't call that defense.

If I were coaching Caldwell....I'd take the girls to the Island a day early. Especially, since they have never made the trip there...it's just a different dynamic....no big deal for Campo, Harvey, McAdam etc....been there, done that.

We shall see how it all plays out in a few days...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:30 am

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Does anybody else find this ironic? Since day 1, we have talked about JC girls vs. GM girls showdown...yet...the GM boys will play JC boys first, in round 1.

What, the Harvey girls need a coach? Hmmmmm.

Forever39 - you talk of GM's defense...but, didn't you say they gave up close to 30 points in a quarter to SSHS? I wouldn't call that defense.

If I were coaching Caldwell....I'd take the girls to the Island a day early. Especially, since they have never made the trip there...it's just a different dynamic....no big deal for Campo, Harvey, McAdam etc....been there, done that.

We shall see how it all plays out in a few days...

They did give up 30 to SS in a quarter, they had a horrible quarter with 2 starters on the bench injured, don't think that will happen again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: single A hs jcs girls. any good?   Today at 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down

single A hs jcs girls. any good?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next