HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A GIRLS 1st Ranking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fullcourt

PostSubject: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:00 pm

The first set of rankings are scheduled to be released this week.
There has now been a number of tournaments played and most leagues are up and running and in full swing. So who are the Top 15 teams from across the Province?

I'm sure the 4A Girls Ranking Committee who exists of the below five individuals have it figured out. They have lots of experience and a good grasp of whose strong and who’s not.

- Edmonton Area - Dave Oldham (Spruce Grove)
- Calgary & Area – Ken Zelez (Centennial)
- Calgary & Area – Sheldon Brady (Western)
- South – Lynette Taal - (Lethbridge Collegiate Institute)
- Rural (SC, C, NE, NW) - Kathy Lalor – (Lindsay Thurber)

So how do you think the first set of Rankings will look??

HM.
HM.
HM.
HM.
HM.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: Ranking    Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:33 pm

1-Western
2-Centennial
3-Spruce Grove
4- Raymond
5- ABJ
6- Marys
7-O'Leary
8-BOB
9-LCI
10-Churchill
HM- Sturgeon
HM-BG
HM-Cardston
HM-HA

- based on this past weekends results whi h are not part
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

1 Western Canada Calgary
2 Raymond High South
3 Centennial High Calgary
4 Spruce Grove Composite Edmonton
5 St. Mary's High Calgary
6 Archbishop Jordan Edmonton
7 Archbishop O'Leary Edmonton
8 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute South
9 Bishop O'Byrne Calgary
10 Harry Ainlay Edmonton
Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
HM Cardston High South
HM Catholic Central South
HM Dr. EP Scarlett Calgary
HM Paul Kane Edmonton
HM Sir Winston Churchill Calgary

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm

What are the new rankings going to look like? Really no more games until rankings come out!
There definitely will be some changes.
Centennial will go to #2
Raymond #3
Cardston #4
Ainlay should not be a top 10 team, probably not even an HM!
Catholic Central should be a top 10 team and Chinook should be an HM.
thoughts??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: rankings...   Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:37 pm

bounce just my opinion...(lol).... Basketball

!-Western ( alone at this spot !!! only injuries will hurt this team ..not quite Ainlay from a couple years ago ..)
2-Centennial (beat Raymond should move up)
3-Spruce Grove (remain or move up as have not lost to anyone really)
4-Raymond (lost to Centennial -10 points or so )
5-ABJ (beat Marys )
6-Cardston (fit here at moment play Raymond end of month )
7-Marys (lost some games but can compete )
8-BOB (unproven at moment)
9-O'Leary
10-Catholic central
11-Churchill ( darkhorse when players get healthy ...will surprise ...bet on them to be at provincials )
12-Sturgeon
13-HA
14-Chinook (starting to make some noise )

***not much change as some teams have not played any teams to help with rankings ...etc...some huge tourneys coming up at end of month ..should pick up the interest...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:09 am

Stalker, like your thoughts! I will add to them.
This is my MAINE point!
Teams should not be rewarded for not playing teams that are competetive!!!
Have seen it too many times that teams have flown under the radar and not really played any good teams all year, sure really have not been beaten but HAVE NOT BEAT ANYBODY THAT IS ANYBODY, OR EVEN PLAYED ANYBODY THAT IS ANYBODY!!! They get ranked fairly high for provincials and then get their butts handed to them when they do play somebody!!!
At this point in the season Spruce Grove and ABJ have really not played anybody, so they should not be rewarded for in this instance not playing anybody! Granted I think they are good and will play some good teams, lets give the merit to those who have put themselves out there and played the big teams!!
Centennial, Raymond, Cardston, St.Mary's, LCI have all played some good teams!
With that being said here is MY opinion:
1. Western
2. Centennial
3. Raymond - only lost to Centennial, why drop them 2 holes and move SG up when they did not even play anybody
4. Cardston - proved this weekend they are definitely there!
5. St. Mary's - ya, have a few losses, but all are to the top teams and have been right there, they can compete!!
6. Spruce Grove
7. ABJ
8. Oleary
9. BOB-
10.Catholic Central
HM. Winston Churchill, Chinook, LCI, Sturgeon,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fullcourt

PostSubject: Not so Fast South Fan   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 am

Don't know if I agree with your comment.

SOUTHFAN (comment)
"At this point in the season Spruce Grove and ABJ have really not played anybody, so they should not be rewarded for in this instance not playing anybody! Granted I think they are good and will play some good teams, lets give the merit to those who have put themselves out there and played the big teams!!"

MY THOUGHTS
I agree that Cardston moves up and out of HM, but not in front of SG & ABJ.
** Spruce Grove currently 11-1 - they can play, they don't move they need to stay where they are at.
** ABJ, they beat 2 ranked teams, beat #7 O'Leary and #5 St.Marys. So I really can't see them moving down, but can see them moving up another spot.

I watched the Centennial - Cardston game and in reality Centennial shot the ball real bad, probably the worst shooting percentage this year for them. Not taking anything away from Cardston because they played real hard and kept it tight to the end. They are a good team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:26 am

Normally, the people who make the rankings would go to the ASAA site and review the game results and make an assessment on who is winning and against who or who has had some tough loses lately, etc. Problem is, not all teams are reporting their game results to the ASAA. Now, I'm sure these rankers are checking high school league results and some are well aware of tournaments and their outcomes. But, I thought all the games were suppose to be reported to the ASAA to provide a central clearing house of win/lose stats. An example for me is the school Chinook. Based on the ASAA site, the team has only won a hand full of games against 3A teams and lost a tight one to ABJ. Nothing about that record would make me think top 15. Southfan and the-stalker must know them better so can offer better insight but a ranker from Edmonton or further north may only know what I know about them and come to the same conclusion. Even though there was lots of talk about the tournament in Cardston, I don't think any of the scores were recorded on the ASAA site. Without those results, some may not be aware of how strong Cardston actually is.

My point being. I wish all teams would report results to the ASAA so the rankers and us fans can review and make informed opinions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: Rankings    Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:26 am

The results historically were updated on a regular basis the last number of years .... Then I believe the mystique of the rankings went by the way side and as a result teams have lost interest .... Perhaps teams were hoping for perhaps an extra team to a zone ......just my opinion !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:12 am

Slowpoke,
Understand what your saying, but until the rankers themselves report their own scores, they cannot expect anyone else to report theirs. So they must use other means like this forum etc. to get the true info on teams.
Also, as Stalker has just stated teams that have reported regularly may not have even got as good as ranking as ones who have not, so what is the incentive!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chinook

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Chinook high school hosted a tournament this weekend. A bit of a surprise with McCoy beating Cardston in the semi final by about 8 and then overwhelming Chinook in the final by close to 50. McCoy would be a force in 4A and must be a top team in 3A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-stalker

PostSubject: Chinook    Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Chinook Very Happy ... You have a bit of a flair for the obvious ... McCoy is a great team .... Only unfortunate thing for McCoy they play in to many unknown type of tourneys .. They should be striving like the smaller schools Raymond , Cardston etc .. playing on all the 4A tourneys .... In know they are at Spruce Grove but don't think they are in ant others that would be considered worth mentioning .. They usually play in a 3A tourney in Wetaskiwin at end of year but I feel they are better than that ... But the coach knows beat for there own team right ... Very athletic and aggressive nice team to watch ... Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 pm

McCoy may not have played in any big tourneys but according to the ASAA McCoy has had the chance to play 7 of the top 15 - 4A teams from the first rankings and beat them. Mary's #5, ABJ #6, LCI #8, Cardston HM, SWC HM, Cath Cent HM and Paul Kane HM. No big tourneys but big games and big wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A GIRLS 1st Ranking   Today at 10:58 am

Back to top Go down

4A GIRLS 1st Ranking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1