HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

NSD basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

PostSubject: NSD basketball   Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:46 am

Spring league was recommended to me. Curious if anybody has experience with the program as compared to other club teams in Calgary area. Both good and bad comments welcome, as well as details on costs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: NSD basketball   Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Can only comment on girls clubs and teams.

NSD Might have been a very good club to join a few years ago but they have fallen behind most other clubs out there. They do offer very good kids basketball programs in the summer however.

Storm: Run by Tony Tan. Always puts together very good teams. Has good coaches and gets his fair share of good players.

Selects: Has a loyal following. Is able to put together some top teams. Has lost some of its former luster but a good club.

CBA: New. Offshoot from Storm. Good players and teams.

Outwest: Just about disappeared from Calgary basketball. Coming Back. Has some very good players and teams now.

CYDC: Fairly new but has developed a following. Has good coaching but not always the best players.

There are a handful of smaller club teams out there. Some do very well and others seem to be developed so someones dad can still coach his kid.

I think most clubs charge from $1200 to $1600 for the spring season. A lot depends on travel, spring leagues joined and the number of tournaments entered into. Use to be there were a number of clubs that received lottery or gambling monies but I only know of Outwest as still participating in that program. There may be others. I have heard they charge their players quite a bit less for the spring season.

The club scene has gone through a lot of changes over the past ten to twelve years so who knows which club will be the best run or have the top team next year. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: NSD basketball   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:48 pm

I can provide some info on boys teams:

Genesis - one of the larger programs with a number of teams meaning kids of every level get the opportunity to play club ball - fees around $900 I believe. A great roster of young coaches. Elite teams at the upper end.
CYDC - another of the larger programs so plenty of levels of teams - a little more expensive $1400ish I've heard. Elite teams at the upper end.
Foundation - a smaller program with one team in each age group but top quality coaches and the teams are always at the upper end ($1200 ish)
Red Jackets - smaller as well but have fielded pretty competitive teams, not sure on cost but likely in the middle
Selects - same as above
Storm - same as above
CBA - this program is new, has been strong on the girls side out of the gate and recently merged with NSD on the boys side I believe so some good coaches coming over
NW Locomotive - growing with some great coaches on the boys side
WIN - I believe just a U17 boys team last year but a good one with good coaches

Some of these clubs play in the CMBA spring league but most play in a club only league run by Genesis and add tournaments on weekends.

On the less competitive side, many of the communities enter spring league teams into the CMBA spring league but you'd have to go to the specific community for more info.

Sorry if I missed any - others should add.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NSD basketball   Today at 3:43 pm

Back to top Go down
NSD basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1