HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New month, new Fraser Valley thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ronh_pm

PostSubject: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Great end of 2011 and great start to 2012 for the Tamanawis Wildcats as Shivi Viria nails a couple of three pointers with less than 10 seconds on the clock to beat #2 ranked Vancouver College 75-73.

This big win, combined with thier win over #6 Kits last week should launch the #9 Wildcats in to the upper reaches of the next rankings.

When I get them finished, game wrap and pictures are at my blog

Vancouver Sports News and Events
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Wow HUGE win for Tamanawis. They might be the hottest team coming into the Leagle Beagle Tournament this weekend.

I was talking to a few coaches this past weekend and I made a statement that did surprise them but they did agree with me: WJ Mouat isn't a TOP valley team. What I mean by that is you got Fox, Pitt, Grove, WRCA and now Tamanawis. I don't know if you can pout Mouat in that group. They have 2 grade 10 starters playing senior. Jesse Coy is the go to guy but can he do it alone ? The Beagle could answer some questions. I don't think they are as strong as last year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Jan 2 - Tamanawis over Vancouver College   Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 am

January 2, 2012

Tamanawis 75-73 Vancouver College
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:27 am

Kitsilano 76 - WRCA 50
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Walnutfan

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:54 am

Walnut grove 80 Mission 49. Total domination from wire to wire by Walnut with their suffocating defense. Sweet return of favor by Walnut to Mission for their loss in their home tourney.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks for the updates on the Fraser Valley.

Kits over WRCA is somewhat of a surprise to me. I have not heard many results from WR but as the Blue Demons seemed to be in a bit of funk, the margin of defeat seems huge. It's good timing for Kits as they will need all the momentum they can muster as they take on Kelowna in their opener at the Legal Beagle

The Walnut Grove result does not surpise me. As well as Mission had being playing, Walnut Grove is still one of the top five teams in the Valley and I'm guessing one of the best semi-final games of the Beagle should feature WG going up against Tammy Friday morning. Wish I had time off work for that one!

FWIW My FV top 8 keeping in mind I have not seen a lot of the South and Central divisions and do not know Mouats health.

1.)Tammy
2.)Pitt
3.)WG
4.)WRCA
5.)TF
6.)Mouat
7.)Tweedsmuir
8.)Enver Creek

I also think that any of the top six, with maybe a slight edge to Pitt and Tammy could beat each other on any given night right now.

Back to top Go down
Sim

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:51 am

Hey Ron, do 7 or 8 Valley teams make the AAA BC's?? I'd probably slot Maple Ridge ahead of Enver for that last spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:15 am

Sim wrote:
Hey Ron, do 7 or 8 Valley teams make the AAA BC's?? I'd probably slot Maple Ridge ahead of Enver for that last spot.

BC berths will not be decided until the first or second week of February.

I'd expect the valley to get 8 berths this year.

Back to top Go down
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 am

Sim wrote:

Maple Ridge has been playing a good schedule, are very well coached and beat Enver early in the season so probaly you are correct. To be honest I'd love to see them make the Valley playoffs as it would put a heck of a lot more seats in the house at Thomas Haney next month.
Back to top Go down
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Would also love to see Maple Ridge do well as Doc is truly a class act however I have heard that the first 3 days of the valleys will continue to be played at the higher seeds whereas the final 2-3 days of the valleys this year will be at the langley events centre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SurreyBall

PostSubject: Top 8 Fraser Valley Teams   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:21 pm

1. Tamanawis- FV Southwest
2. Pitt Meadows- FV North
3. Walnut Grove- FV Abbotsford West
4. Terry Fox- FV North
5. WRCA- FV Southwest
6. WJ Mouat- FV Abbotsford West
7. Maple Ridge- FV Abbotsford West
8. South Delta/Lord Tweedsmuir/Enver/Delta
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Walnutfan

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:27 am

Walnut grove 50 - Maple ridge 48.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:44 am

Walnutfan wrote:

Was this league, exhib or tourney?
Back to top Go down
Walnutfan

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 am

Sportvictoria wrote:
Walnutfan wrote:

Was this league, exhib or tourney?

league game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:24 am

Walnutfan wrote:

The Ramblers given the Gators all they can handle! Though I'm sure Ridge would have loved the win, the experience they are gaining in playing top clubs tough will go a long way in helping them into the Fraser Valley tournament.
Back to top Go down
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:03 pm

1) Walnut Grove - Led By Guard Desean this team is deep with Grade 10 stand out Jadon cohee and u16 provincial team member Paul getz this team has been playing the best ball as of late. Sleep on this squad is Brad hoffman been shooting it very well

2) Tamanawis - Led by Guard Manny Dulay and big man Ravjot dhaliwal this team has enough size and plenty of shooting to make a deep run in the Valleys and Provincials

3) Pitt Meadows - This Team is soo well coached Congrats to Coach Goulet on his 1000th Win his team is very disciplined and will be peaking come valleys love their guard Mitsu he can do major damage Young post play Jordan rich also can be a force

4) Terry Fox - Ryan Sclater is a pure athlete Coach Hanson has done a great job taking over for Chambers and with Grade 11 big man Trevor casey there well coached can pound the rock inside but guard play seems a bit shaky majority of minutes played by Hind and Macdonald last year so experience isnt there

5) WRCA - Senior Jake Newman is leading his squad with a strong cast of Grade 11s. Tyus allen has really stepped up his game and 6th man Vartan Tanillan might be the best 6th man in the province

6) WJ Mouat- Cam Frisen is back Healthy which is a major boost but losing 6'9 Forward Tristian Ettiene is a big blow hes the goalie for Mouat and could notice vs Kelowna the difference look for grade 10 guard Cory Hauck to step up in his scoring but i do look for this team to slide a bit

7) Maple Ride- This is a very gritty team who are holding high scoring offenses to low number outputs look for them to surprise alot of people in the valley and could move up some spots and may be able to sneak into a top 5 seed come valleys

Cool The most Debated about spot could go to a variety of teams will breakdown the 5 teams who i believe could all challenge for this spot

Enver Creek- Have talented big man Rajan Rai this team has good size down low. Issue with this squad is team chemistry and game flow have lost to some suspect teams but have also beat some quality teams as of late. Grade 11 Gurkirit Kular leads this squad in scoring

Lord Tweedsmuir- Led by Two Sharpshooting guards Paarus Sahi and Pavan Lehal this team is a very young an talented squad if these two get hot game can be over very quickly. Team lacks size in a big way especially in the fraser valley can beat anyone on a given night but can also lose to anyone at any given time

Delta - Senior guard Lucas Goosen is a one man wrecking crew putting up major stats in every game this season not much depth on this squad and this team is very matchup dependent if Lucas takes over they can play with anyone

South Delta - Guard Dustin Triano and a variety of big bodies keep this team in the hunt. This team seems to be very streaky have won games and have lost to some very questionable opponents. Team has experience but will need to deliver in league as well as in the valleys

North Delta -This is the team I coach this is my honest opinion of my own team no bias whatsoever. Team has alot of size and a variety of shooters. Can compete with anyone in the province

The last few Spots from valleys to provincials will all depend on the draw and what the bracket looks like al these squads are good teams and it will come down to whoever is playing the best are the ones who will come out of the valley Going to be a very fun last few weeks leading up the big dance!

Good luck to all the players and coaches
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:12 pm

A very fair assessment with the Valley rankings. I think the Top 5 is a lock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Walnut Grove is number 1 right now, I agree. I however don't know if you can put Tamanawis ahead of Pitt or even Fox.

Pitt to me has had the lightest schedule out of the top 5 valley teams.

I have seen Tamanawis play a handful of times now. I know they just won the RCMP Tournament but they have not looked that strong when I have seen them, namely at the Beagle. Dhaliwal was a non factor in those 3 games and they seem to rely a bit too much on Dulay. Plus they don't have much depth at all. I would put them just ahead of WR for 4th.

Now if WR beats Fox on Thursday at the Emerald, then it shakes up the top 5.

We all agree that (in any order) Grove, Fox, Pitt, Tammy and WRC are top 5. What about Mouat ? Does the loss of Etienne put them a tier below the top 5 ?

As for the remaining teams, Ridge is decent and work hard but have no depth what so ever. Enver seems to be a safe choice. Tweedsmuir might be too young and small to be a threat this year. South Deta relies WAY too much on Triano. Same with Delta with Goosen. Centennial and Heritage could also slide in.

Princess Margaret opened up a lot of eyes during the RCMP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 am

mikeyb wrote:

Pitt to me has had the lightest schedule out of the top 5 valley teams.

Pitt's record at last ranking was 14-1. Eight of the 14 wins were against ranked or HM teams. Thier loss was to #4 Van. College.

Pitt 68 Oak Bay(HM) 54
Pitt 57 Kits(7) 40
Pitt 60 Mt. Douglas(9) 45
Pitt 67 WRCA(5) 58
Pitt 59 Windsor (AA4) 42
Pitt 56 Van. Coll (4) 70
Pitt 62 St. Geo.(8 ) 52
Pitt 48 Maple Ridge (HM) 33
Pitt 65 Walnut Grove(3) 57
Pitt 47 Scots College 51

Not sure where Scots College, the BRIT champion would rank but they beat St. Georges by 15 so I would guess anywhere from 2-7.

Two more of their 14 wins were against Tweedsmuir, arguably an HM team.

Maybe not the toughest schedule of the top five, I have not checked, but eight ranked or HM wins in 15 games is not easy and if there is one area where Pitt has been stronger than the rest of the Fraser Valley teams, it is consistency. They have not been upset to this point where as WG, Tamanawis, WRCA and Terry Fox have, and in some cases, more than once.

I do agree that on any given night, any of the top five could win but I do not agree that on any given night, any of the top five could lose because so far at least, from what I see, only Pitt has taken care of its business night in and night out.

Last edited by ronh_pm on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:05 am

Yes Pitt has played against some ranked teams. I can't disagree there. However, I would like to see how many times Pitt has played these top 6 teams. I Know Fox has played Walnut Grove twice, Mouat twice and is set to face WRC on Thursday.

I would bet Pitt has the lowest number of games played against the top teams in th valley, except maybe Tamanawis. That was my point about a lighter schedule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 am

mikeyb wrote:
Yes Pitt has played against some ranked teams. I can't disagree there. However, I would like to see how many times Pitt has played these top 6 teams. I Know Fox has played Walnut Grove twice, Mouat twice and is set to face WRC on Thursday.

I would bet Pitt has the lowest number of games played against the top teams in th valley, except maybe Tamanawis. That was my point about a lighter schedule.

I guess. Due the inconsistency I mentioned neither Tamanawis nor WJ Mouat made it to the finals of the NSIT or Mouat Hawkball for Pitt to get a chance to play them.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:37 pm

I have watched all of the central teams play, pretty weak compared to the other divisions but enver and pm should be the favorites to win this league, tweedsmuir can surely surprise and beat any team as they almost pulled of a big upset against pitt but im not sure how good of a coaching staff they have and how much the players actual listen to them, their head coach is coaching 2-3 teams i have seen him leave half way in the rcmp tournament to go coach the juniors which i feel is tottaly ridiculous, paarus n pavan are great scorers and can keep tweedsmuir in any game, but they are defense is awful and thats what kills them.
i see 1. Enver 2. PM 3. Tweedsmuir 4. QE 5. Fleetwood 6. Kwantlen Park
Back to top Go down
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Tamanawis beats WRCA 62-58   Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 am

Great game at Tamanawis tonight with Tamanawis, after jumping out to a huge early lead, having to come back in the fourth for the win. WRCA was able to shut down Dulay tonight but this year the Wildcats have too many weapons.

Game Wrap and pics at link below

Tamanwis Wildcats top the WRCA Warriors in Fraser Valley senior boys basketball
Back to top Go down
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:00 am

bigg upset tonight Delta beats WRCA 68-61 Lucas goossen leads the way with 38 points
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:03 am

I saw WRCA at the Emerald tournament. They run a very predictable offence that is set up for one or two players to shoot. Their defence is one dimensional as I only saw them play man to man. Against Fox, they did not make any adjustments in their offence after Ryan Sclater forced numerous turnovers off of their zone press. They were out-coached. I saw this team at the Beagle and they have declined significantly in their performance level since then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New month, new Fraser Valley thread   Today at 3:00 pm

Back to top Go down

New month, new Fraser Valley thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next