HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Leagle Beagle Draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm

a couple of changes..

1) Kelowna
2) Pitt
3) College
3) Grove
5)WRCA
6)St Georges
7) Fox
Cool Mt Doug
9) Tupper
10) tammy
10) Kit
Geddy wrote:
This season is up for grabs. Any of these top teams could win Provincials.

Kelowna is separating from the pack, but every game they play is close. They can be beat and if Mitch is off, or gets in any type of foul trouble, the Owls are in trouble.

Projected Top 10 as of today
1 Kelowna
2 Pitt
3 Vancouver College
4 Walnut Grove
5 WRCA
6 St. George's
7 Tupper
8 Mt. Douglas
9 Terry Fox
10 Tamanawis

Mouat has the talent and will soon be in Top 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ButterBaller

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Kelowna has to be the AAA favorite now having won both the telus and legal beagle tourneys. The 1-2 punch of bunce and goodwin is simply unmatched in the province and the rest of their players will only get better as the season goes on, not sure if anyone can catch up to them over the next few months.

I remember tyus allen last year as a junior player, he was often the best player on the floor but would tend to pick up silly fouls and ignore his coaches when things weren't going well. I saw the same thing when he played pitt in the telus earlier this year. However he did play way better in the beagle this weekend, he knew when to drive or pass and played stronger defense. Must be some new coaching technique cause I didn't see any new coaches on their sidelines, just two junior coaches from last year and their usual guy.

In AA, it seems like a three school race right now with Mission, STM and Windsor. I'd keep an eye out for Palmer though, you don't win a championship and not learn a thing or two about how to peak at the right time and you can never count them out as long as #9 is on the floor.

And the concessions at the legal beagle really could have been better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:56 am

Saw Pitt play at the BRIT this weekend, they did not look like the second best team in BC, placing fifth and barely beating Jasper place from AB by 1. St. Georges took second but certainly did not dominate. Is this a down year for BC ball?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:45 pm

ButterBaller wrote:
I remember tyus allen last year as a junior player, he was often the best player on the floor but would tend to pick up silly fouls and ignore his coaches when things weren't going well. I saw the same thing when he played pitt in the telus earlier this year. However he did play way better in the beagle this weekend, he knew when to drive or pass and played stronger defense. Must be some new coaching technique cause I didn't see any new coaches on their sidelines, just two junior coaches from last year and their usual guy.

Tyus is a great guard who sees the floor well and can push the tempo of the game, I agree with his tendency to pick up fouls but his aggressiveness on the ball is part of his game. He had some real good sessions during CP workouts before the season with some great coaches who might've influenced his game for the positive.

ButterBaller wrote:
In AA, it seems like a three school race right now with Mission, STM and Windsor. I'd keep an eye out for Palmer though, you don't win a championship and not learn a thing or two about how to peak at the right time and you can never count them out as long as #9 is on the floor.

I agree with you on Mission, STM and Windsor being the top 3 AA teams right now, and with Madewan on the floor for Palmer they have a chance every night as he can put up 40 in a heartbeat, a great pure scorer to watch.

Some Stray Observations from the Beagle Tourney:

-Terry Fox's depth has impressive from what I saw, good contributions from up and down the whole roster, Sclater is a stud athlete.

-Mouat has great talent on that squad with Coy and Freisen, if Ettiene can be more consistent offensively they can be a real force.

-Kelowna is hands down #1 in BC, no question about it, their inside-out game is unmatched by any other team, the Bunce dominates in tha paint (although Grove di as good a job as you can on him in the final) and Goodwin is just lethal from the anywhere on the floor.

-Grove is young, fast and determined to make a statement, they had Kelowna on the ropes for 3 quarters but just couldn't cross the finish. Monsanto is supremely quick on both ends of the floor stripping Goodwin in the final on more than one occasion and getting easy buckets on the offensive end. Cohee is unbelievable at getting to the bucket, if he can find a consistent shot he'll unstoppable offensively.

-Great tourney put on by Fox, fun, competitive and some great basketball put on by all the teams.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NBN

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 pm

TightD wrote:
Random thoughts,

-Kitsilano, biggest headcase team since last years Burnaby South(wake up coach)

-Mouat, top 3 talent but for whatever reason will find a way to lose.

-Fox, Guard weak...not a top 5 team because of this.

-Palmer, feel sorry for Madewan.

-Cory Hauck will be very good...Jadon Cohee is fantastic....2 grade tens on Kelowna good as well.

-Walnut Grove...easily gets most out of what they have...Kits opposite.

-Etienne, great defense but needs to score more.

-Love Tyus Allen's game

Kitsilano, coach has to get his emotions in check! They are way too emotional as a team…including their Coach!
Etienne has a great defensive game… Where his offensive game? What a great prospect!
Madewan is an absolute gem of a player!
Jadon Cohee shows abilities beyond his years… Is he a drive player or Basket Ball BC?
Tyus Allen has all tools to be elite player (all ready is) but must play a cleaner game! He is out right a dirty player!
Corey Huack, I love his game, He is talented and very unselfish. Mouat has two very good grade tens.
Why is Mouat losing all these close games? They even started the second half of the Fox game with four players. How does that happen… players fault or coaching? Cost them a quick two point which is what they lost by!

-bigtime tournament,small time concession selection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm

NBN wrote:
Etienne has a great defensive game… Where his offensive game? What a great prospect!
Jadon Cohee shows abilities beyond his years… Is he a drive player or Basket Ball BC?
Corey Huack, I love his game, He is talented and very unselfish. Mouat has two very good grade tens.

Etienne, Huack, Cohee all Drive Basketball players, they have a special group in that 2014 crop, along with Will Latu and Elijah Campbell Axon from VC (Playing JR.)

NBN wrote:
Madewan is an absolute gem of a player!

Madewan is a Basketball BC player, who reminds of Jesus Shuttlesworth himself, Ray Allen, Love his offensive game, silky smooth jumper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm

[quote="mikeyb"]Tournament MVP: Mitch Goodwin (Kelowna)
Terry Fox Award: De'Sean Monsanto (WG)
Top Defensive Player: Tristan Ettiene (Mouat)

I was there for the semi-finals (and a few games Saturday also) and was not impressed with either game. In both games I saw poor passing and in general no team executed any form of offence consistantly.

I was suprised that Goodwin won MVP, he was very lethargic and looked tired/ sick in the semis and final.
He took over in the last 5 minutes of both games to lead his team to a win, but it was not enough for MVP He must have
played well vs Kits and WRCA. Sean Monsato I don't rember him from last season, but what a player. He has great hustle and energy and was the only player that had solid games in both the semis and finals. A deserving winner of the Terry Fox award.
I have to say I was surprised that Tristan won top defensive player In the semis, he let Braxton get the ball at will and then grabbed or slapped him. The amount of contact the refs allowed was riiculous considering some of the touch fouls they called in this game. Top defensive player should have gone to Jake Newman. He apparently did a bang up job guarding Braxton. In the Tupper v WRCA game Jake did an excellent job on Cam Smythe. Cam had to step out to the elbow to get touches. He denied the ball, challenged the shot and rebounded.

Tyus Allen good PG, he controls the floor, but makes bad decisions. Does he play hockey? He has the tendancy to get a retalitory foul after he gets bumped and it is not called.

If Tammy can put 2 consecutive halves together they have the skill to win lots of games. They had a very soft second half against Tupper on Saturday. Rav D can make the big plays.......for half the game.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Saw almost all of the games this weekend.

Goodwin played hurt I think the last two games. He got into a collision on the ground with Luka and another Kits player on Thursday night. From where I was sitting I saw his neck bend straight back and I really thought he might have done some serious damage to himself.

Tristan played against the 3 great posts in the Province in consecutive games. Smythe, Braxton and Sclater. Got the better of Smythe and did well against Braxton and Sclater. Well deserving of the DPOT.

Out of all the grade 10's who played during the Beagle I was least impressed with Huack. Cohee and Tristan were great! Also Bains from Tammy has a nice skill set as well. Buzz Truss does so many little things for Kelwona, are real key to their success.

Kelowna is the clear #1. The Valleys Finals might be better than the actual provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Walnutfan

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 pm

[quote="Fox2030"]
mikeyb wrote:
Tournament MVP: Mitch Goodwin (Kelowna)
Terry Fox Award: De'Sean Monsanto (WG)
Top Defensive Player: Tristan Ettiene (Mouat)

Sean Monsato I don't rember him from last season, but what a player. He has great hustle and energy and was the only player that had solid games in both the semis and finals. A deserving winner of the Terry Fox award.

De'Sean is the peskiest defender that I have seen since a long time in HS scene. Got solid quick hands and if his check blinks, he strips them before they realize the ball is gone. Very difficult to play when he pressures. On offensive end, he got wide array of moves and his quick jump shots will catch you off guard all the time. He is a beauty in catch and shoot and makes 9 out of 10 times. You got watch his game to believe. WG got two other effective grade 12s just like him in Charles Luu and Ethan McKean. They all feed off each other with each other’s energy and play always with killer mindset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunkit29

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 am

I also watched most of the games and am not connected to any of the teams, unlike some of the above posters seem to be.

My perspective is a little different, coming from a bystander.

JRCOACHS-I do not know what the hype is with Buzz. I had to actually ask someone who he was because I didn't notice any standout. He was definitely on the bench more than on the court... or maybe he was on the court and just didn't do anything noticeable.

Cohee is impressive. Every game I have watched, he never came off the court and has the green light to do whatever he wants. He looks to score in every play... not to distribute, not meaning it to be a negative. seems he should be more of a shooting guard than pg. I wonder how many other players could rack up the same stats with the same opportunity? Like I said, impressive though, he has a great future. Saying Hauck least impressed you is funny. I watched 2 Mouat games at the tournament. He has an amazing jump shot and very obviously improves his team when he is on. I think both games I watched he had 12+ points and nice assists, he knows when to give up the ball. I never saw him lose his cool or buckle under pressure once. Being composed at the grade 10 level is huge. Potential, potential, potential for a pure pg.
Tristan is a great defenseman, he battled with the older guys and did well... who wouldn't want him on your team? He does lack in offense in a big way but man... he is 15 years old! Braxton is a force to be reckoned with... offense and defense, a total beast!!

I can't decide who I think is the best pg out there right now... probably between Tyus Allen and Mitch Goodwin.

Walnutfan- I agree with just about everything you say about De'Sean. The only thing is that I guess I have missed watching all the games with a great shooting average, you are right... I guess I will have to see it to believe it. Would I want him on my team? Obviously!

Overall... great tournament!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KTownBeatDown

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:39 pm

[quote="Dunkit29"]

JRCOACHS-I do not know what the hype is with Buzz. I had to actually ask someone who he was because I didn't notice any standout. He was definitely on the bench more than on the court... or maybe he was on the court and just didn't do anything noticeable.

I wasnt at the games this weekend (How can any tourny not offer online coverage these days!!) but I believe Buzzman Truss was very sick last week and missed the KSS League Games. Not making excuses as maybe he just had an off weekend but I think overall health might have come into play. Normally gets big minutes especially in big games.

Anyone know if the Snowball is showing games online?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Corey Huack is in grade 10 and is starting on one of the top basketball teams in the province. He is a highly skilled, intelligent and dedicated player. Almost any coach in the province would be happy if he were running his team's point (and no I am not related to him....). Personally, I am just happy that high quality athletes like him aren't playing hockey! Let's give these young guys some support.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 pm

[quote="KTownBeatDown"]
Dunkit29 wrote:

I wasnt at the games this weekend (How can any tourny not offer online coverage these days!!) but I believe Buzzman Truss was very sick last week and missed the KSS League Games. Not making excuses as maybe he just had an off weekend but I think overall health might have come into play. Normally gets big minutes especially in big games.

I was very impressed with the Buzz/ Goodwin combo in the Telus Classic that I watched online. I have to agree with Dunkit29 that Buzz was off game and perhaps overhyped. If he was indeed sick at the Leagle Beagle I look forward to seeing him play at Provincials or next time Kelowna returns to the Lower Mainland. What really matters is the results after teams play each other the second or third time.

Questions - Abby Collegiate and Pitt Air show are both this week end. What are the top teams at each tournie? I might just go to the Air show Saturday, unless it is worth while to drive to Abbotsford.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Fox2030 wrote:
Questions - Abby Collegiate and Pitt Air show are both this week end. What are the top teams at each tournie? I might just go to the Air show Saturday, unless it is worth while to drive to Abbotsford.

Teams in the Pitt and Abby Tourney this weekend listed below (current ranking in parenthesis)

Pitt Air Show Tourney

Argyle
Belmont
Claremont (#4 - AAA Victoria)
Cowichan (#7 - AAA Victoria)
Delta
Gleneagle
Mount Bouc.
Mount Douglas (#9 - AAA)
Pitt Meadows (#2 - AAA)
South Delt.
South Kaml.
Tupper (HM - AAA)

Abby Snowball Tourney

St. Andrews (Rhode Island, US)
Kelowna (#1 - AAA)
WJ Mouat (HM - AAA)
Kitsilano (#4 AAA)
Burnaby South (#10 AAA)
St. Georges (#8 AAA)
Chilliwack
GW Graham (#3 - AA)
MEI
Yale
Kelvin (Winnipeg, MB)
Abbotsford Collegiate

The Snowball Tourney looks stacked with 5 of the Top Ten ranked AAA teams in BC and some out of province competition, should be abother fun weekend of BC Boys Basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leagle Beagle Draw   Today at 5:12 am

Back to top Go down

Leagle Beagle Draw
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2