HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Who is going to be the biggest mover

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
poolie

PostSubject: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:54 am

Just wondering who is going to be the biggest mover in boys and girls divisions and who is dropping fast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: no replies   Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Surprised there are no takers on whos moving up in rankings and whos moving down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I think this is the product of the move back to 3 tiers (not that it is wrong) and the lack of depth in most of the leagues now.

Instead of having 3-4 teams who could beat each other on a given night and another 3-4 who could pull an upset you've just got 2-3 front runners in most leagues.

A Boys - Might have the most potential upsets or teams with a chance at a run. Harvey seems the front runner with DP and GM next up, but McAdam is right there with full healthy lineup. Campo has struggled to overcome injuries and depth issues but they could be in the hunt too. NE hasn't gotten much buzz but I'm sure someone is lying in the weeds over there too.

A Girls - Seems like GM vs JCS seems to be the final most people expect. Caledonia/Stanley hosting a regional may have something say about that and Harvey continues to get better.

AA Girls - Rothesay is the front runner with Tantramar, RNS and a pack of teams just a level shy all trying to take run at upsetting RHS in the playoffs.

AA - Boys Woodstock, St. Stephen and Sugarloaf all seem capable of beating each other on a given night. Not sure anyone else in AA is at their level.

AAA Girls - FHS out in front with Riverview, WHS, BMHS, LHHS all competing to take a run.

AAA Boys - Riverview, KVHS and Fredericton all with a real shot. Moncton High has some athletes that could sneak them by someone too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:37 am

A lack of depth you say. Let us look back to the first year of the two tier system. "AA(A)" Boys, Bathurst....and who were teams that could compete with them? No one. Remember the final at the Aitken center? Wasn't it 80 something to 50 something?? The game was done at the end of the first quarter...one of the most lopsided games in recent memory.

Next year is Sugarloaf....and if not for Devon Park beating them the next year, they probably win again....depth you say? I don't think so.

Now...take a look at "A" Boys.....there are probably 4 or 5 teams with a realistic chance.

Now lets take a look at a team who was moved up a level to play "AAA". The St.Stephen Spartans. They had ZERO chance to compete for a title at that level. I'm pretty sure they played FHS in the playoffs a time or two. I think they lost by 50-70 points. Now...because of the three tier system...they have a chance. I could go on and on...but I'm not going to beat a dead horse...

I'm not sure who thinks that four championship games are better than six. The more kids that have the chance to play on the big stage, the better. It is a great experience...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

GM. Again I didn't say that two tiers was better or worse than three. Simply in response to Poolie's query about "lack of interest in discussing movement" that the 3 tiers doesn't allow for a depth of teams that can compete and move about.

A boys does have 5-6 teams this year who can compete.

Most others have 2-3 with a bunch a level below that core group and then a bunch of really weak teams.

In reality it was basically the same in two tiers except you had 4-5 in the elite group and a half dozen or more at the next tier down.

I don't think that using the Bathurst example is reasonable since it was a one off that no one forsaw in regards to transfers etc. I think everyone would agree that from a basketball standpoint that didn't work out for anyone except Bathurst.

I'm not saying more titles aren't better than less, but I don't think we can just more is better than less either or having 16 championship games would be the way to go. St. Stephen, Woodstock, Campo or whoever should be able to play at level where they can compete and have a chance at a championship. I don't see anyone jumping to get Hampton, Harbourview, Bonar Law, or Nackawic a league where they can compete though.

I like 3 tiers, I liked 2 tiers. I like competitive basketball. I'm just pointing out you aren't going to have as much movement in leagues where you don't have 6-8 teams who can compete to get to or near the top. Debate and discussion we had about movement/rankings during two tier years wasn't so much about the top 2-3 but about 4-10 and who might sneak up later. With three tiers the front runners are simply easier to identify in each and the chances of someone being able to move up and make noise less likely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: winning team or losing team   Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 pm

If team has no ability to compete in a AAA tier (lost all games previous year or maybe won 1 or two) and with no relief in sight from the JV program then they should be moved down or given the option to go to AA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:53 pm

poolie wrote:
If team has no ability to compete in a AAA tier (lost all games previous year or maybe won 1 or two) and with no relief in sight from the JV program then they should be moved down or given the option to go to AA

And where do the lower teams of "A" move to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: exhibition   Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:33 am

Maybe you could have an exhibition tier. Schools that cant field a competetive team for A can put an exhibition team together with kids from 9 to 12 that just want to play basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
We talkin bout practice

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:28 am

Perhaps then we could make a seperate division for those less competative than the average in the exibition tier. Maybe a tier between AA and AAA we will call it AA point five. Also wile we are at it lets make a tier for those AAA schools that are too good for anyone else and call it AAA platinum.... Another solutions would be to giving every team its own division or tier so everyone is a champion, and gets a banner.

No matter the system there will be winners and losers, when a "bad" AAA school comes down to AA after a few bad years and tears up AA everyone will be crying foul (Still some obviously sour about Bathurst a few years back). It is what it is and its boring to disscuse this further.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:19 pm

if they finish in the top half of the division they were dropped down to, they move back a divison up the following year. If they finnish in bottom half they stay for one more year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is going to be the biggest mover   Today at 1:06 pm

Back to top Go down

Who is going to be the biggest mover
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1