HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

any good news?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bball parent

PostSubject: any good news?   Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Who will end the season in first place in A schools from east? Calidonia, Basketball Bellisle or Petitcodiac?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm

I can guarantee you barring a mass illness or 10 broken legs, none of the other teams in the east will finish ahead of Caledonia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:37 pm

39forever wrote:
I can guarantee you barring a mass illness or 10 broken legs, none of the other teams in the east will finish ahead of Caledonia.

I think you maybe assuming this person is talking girls basketball....it would seem that Belleisle maybe the front runner, but it seems very close...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
39forever wrote:

I think you maybe assuming this person is talking girls basketball....it would seem that Belleisle maybe the front runner, but it seems very close...

My appologies, your assumption would be correct and mine would be wrong. Thanks '88.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: Sorry,I am new here.i ment the boys,but Calidonia girls are real strong too.Calidonia boys beat Bellisle by quite a few.I see them playing Petitcodiac,and they won over Petitcodiac by just a small amount of points.Three close teams in Skill.   Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:50 am

39forever wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
39forever wrote:

My appologies, your assumption would be correct and mine would be wrong. Thanks '88.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: Strong players on each team   Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:57 am

Parsons from Calidonia,The tall guy in grade ten from Bellisle ,and Pickett from Petitcodiac are the team back bones.look to see Calidonia still be strong after Parsons Graduates
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: Bellisle boys beat Calidonia,Bellisle has not lost a game,are they not in first now?   Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:03 am

Petitcodiac has to play Calidonia one more time.They might not come in first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rap$tar

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 am

Petty defeated Belleisle last night in a triple overtime game! A great game, but once Belleisle's big guy was fouled out, things went downhill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: standings now?   Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 pm

I cant figure out the standings between the three teams,Calidonia Bellisle Petit,who is in first place?The big guy from Bellisle is strong,but Petit still gave them a good run.Where will Petit player Jerry Branscombe be playing when he is done school?Amazing talent and they say He is in grade ten.Bellisle is putting to much responsabilityon the Big guy,who in fact is in grade ten also.Both teams blessed with few talented guys.Kind of a shame the game sits on their shoulders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rap$tar

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:10 am

bball parent wrote:
I cant figure out the standings between the three teams,Calidonia Bellisle Petit,who is in first place?The big guy from Bellisle is strong,but Petit still gave them a good run.Where will Petit player Jerry Branscombe be playing when he is done school?Amazing talent and they say He is in grade ten.Bellisle is putting to much responsabilityon the Big guy,who in fact is in grade ten also.Both teams blessed with few talented guys.Kind of a shame the game sits on their shoulders.

Jeremiah Branscombe was definitely the standout player. He controls the tempo of the game as a point guard, not to mention he dropped 46! according to the times and transcript that is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: Calidonia plays Petit tonight in senior boys   Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:24 pm

All I can say is Petit better come to play ball.They have to win big over Calidonia to get any wheres near finishing first. Parsons and his line are agressive,but Petit has Branscombe and Pickett to work together too.The big thing for any team is that your only as strong as your defence.Have at er boys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 pm

bball parent wrote:
The big thing for any team is that your only as strong as your defence.Have at er boys!

I would agree in your situation and in general but I'm never convinced that this is true in relationship to basketball in NB as a whole.

Don't get me wrong in province I see lots of aggressive defense and nationally our defense is generally as strong statistically as the top provinces in the country.

When I look at high school basketball I'm not saying the best teams don't play good defense (they do) but the best teams in the NBIAA have more offensive skill and depth of talent in the province.

If you look at the top tier teams in each division (not just in the province as a whole) they are all significantly better and deeper in offensive skills. Riverview, KVHS, FHS boys. Riverview, FHS girls. AA - Rothesay girls. Woodstock, ST. Stephen Sugarloaf boys. A girls GM and JCS.

IF you look at A boys (probably the most competitive top and bottom bracket) there is no one team with significantly more options to score. So all things being equal the better defensive effort will win.

All things AREN'T equal in the other divisions. The teams with more better skilled athletes will score more (and have better defense since they compete against their offense in practice).

I, as much as anyone, believe you need to teach and play great defense, but what our province needs is more teams and programs developing a greater depth of skilled kids so not only our defence but the overall competitive level of basketball in the province gets better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: i see your point.   Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:18 am

I agree totally.Now,how do you see the volume of players here in the east.Here is what I see.I have watched bball for years and it seems that the bench is getting shorter and shorter.Take Bellisle,few coming up,but there big guy is in grade ten,so they will be ok.Petitcodiac,they are losing four to five players,(graduating),they will be left with a short bench.Calidonia,they are losing Parsons,(graduate) but they will stay strong without him.They lost their starters to graduating last june , but it didnt affect them a bit.I see the love of the game loseing ground in these areas.I dont know how it is in the other sections,because I travel around to watch these three teams,because they are close.Kids must be finding other entertainment.Throw those xbox 360"s out the window is my remedie.Every game I attend I watch the up and coming,they are the teams future.I am very concerned of its future.Jusy my thoughts Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 pm

bball parent wrote:
I agree totally.Now,how do you see the volume of players here in the east.Here is what I see.I have watched bball for years and it seems that the bench is getting shorter and shorter.Take Bellisle,few coming up,but there big guy is in grade ten,so they will be ok.Petitcodiac,they are losing four to five players,(graduating),they will be left with a short bench.Calidonia,they are losing Parsons,(graduate) but they will stay strong without him.They lost their starters to graduating last june , but it didnt affect them a bit.I see the love of the game loseing ground in these areas.I dont know how it is in the other sections,because I travel around to watch these three teams,because they are close.Kids must be finding other entertainment.Throw those xbox 360"s out the window is my remedie.Every game I attend I watch the up and coming,they are the teams future.I am very concerned of its future.Jusy my thoughts Smile
I think you are correct that numbers are dwindling. Of course lower school enrollment accounts for some, but some tied to other interests and in some communities, losing athletes to other sports. In particular, I think some communities are losing more players to hockey once they get better access to an arena. It also is not likely a coincidence that areas that have a minor program, with kids starting younger, fare better. Saturday morning kindergarten and elementary programs are key and carrying this group into mini programs continues it. I also believe our best shot for improvement in the future lies in off-season club programs. Giving kids a chance to play most of the year, exposing them to different coaching and concepts, playing different players and team’s ramps up the interest for kids and is exciting for them. If enough programs get started, it does not have to be elaborate travel or cost. Not every kid can make summer BNB programs, but there is room for most in club programs if we can grow the concept and get more area’s participating. There are some really good mini and bantam clubs, but expanding the ages up would really help as well.
Back to top Go down
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Reasons for numbers issues IMO (in no particular order):

- Less kids province wide more options for what they can do.

- Growing sports (Soccer, Rugby, volleyball) and new activities/clubs related to technology or skills all not only entice kids and divide the pool. BUT most of these not so established/ new things allow opportunities for kids to be more successful with less work or in less intense environments.

- Disregard for LTAD by youth coaches who "know what's best for THEIR kids" too much specialization and competition early. Not only leads to athlete burn out, turnoffs because of experience but lack of opportunity for "green banana" kids/ late bloomers or character kids to meaningfully participate and want to stick with it as priority as focus is put on early developed athletes with little long term upside.

- Early identification of the "best" kids. Whether correct or not in the evaluation kids not id'd highly or as essential early gravitate away to places where they aren't seen or treated like second string and get get more attention, recognition or success.

- Time commitment. They earlier kids play the more often they play, the stronger they get and the more tournaments, teams or exposure we want to give them. Even in middle school kids are playing 100's of games in their careers and when they become more social creatures the amount to time these things take away unless there is a tangible reward for them they move away.

- Coaching/Officiating/Program Management. Particularly in smaller rural areas finding any number of qualified, committed people, who want to do the best job they can for player development, promoting the game and making sure things are done well is difficult at best. As a result in order to do things we rely on less qualified volunteers or people who may not do a good job but are there. Common sense tells us that this alone will not create an ideal situation for developing and retaining kids. Combine that with the fact that the small group of committed people will inevitably have their own ideas that alienate some and then over time people who aren't interested in exactly what they are offering come out as it is that or something else just not basketball.

- PLays vs. PLaying. Coaches who ask kids to do very specific things whether for competitive reasons or their knowledge base can frustrate and alienate the kids who are currently unable to do the things the coach needs them too. So kids who can already do what the coach needs them to get the time, attention and focus and the role the rest are resigned to isn't conducive. We are not asking kids to be role players for a season or year/two. If they start playing in Kindergarten and start playing competitive mini early on by the time they've finished middle school they've been marginalized or on the outside looking in for 5-9 years . . . why would they continue to play somewhere they don't fit in and aren't going to. This gets exacerbated by coaches who follow kids up through or styles of play reliant on types of players vs just training the kids to play. If everyone gets to play and make reads and develop the kids see opportunities to develop into whoever they want, instead of being stuck being something someone else wants or never having the requisite build or skill set to match a build a system might need.

- Banners. We've got grade 3 kids winning provincial championships. Am I the only one who thinks the skews players, kids and coaches views of their role in sport. Winning becomes the focus and priority so kids that don't win, can't win or aren't helping a team to win drift away from the game. How many years do we expect kids who are under pressure to win or achieve from age 8 on to stick with it if that doesn't happen? They scroll through songs they like until the find one in a library of thousands, they play games they can replay over and over again until the win, but we hope/expect that kids who lose for a number of years starting as early as age 8 will stick with the sport into adulthood???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball parent

PostSubject: I understand your views   Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:24 am

You are very well spoken,thanks for your reply.i guess if the kids want to dedicate its up to them.You cant make a kid do somthing they dont want to.I know with myself hockey was my dream as a kid.I skated on the old brook and wharever there was a patch of ice.I eventually joined hockey in grade 5 and stuck with it.I was made fun of ,sat on the bench,never once did i want to quit.I loved the game.Practice,practice,determination,then in grade 10 through 12 I played on the allstar team every year.Moral of the storey,I had a love for the game and determined to make myself better.And it is true ,there is so much more out there to turn to than before.In the seventies there was bball or hockey,you made your choice and most stuck with it to the end. I like to see now when I go to oldtimer bball,and see the bald heads big bellies and years of experience on folks,but you also see the LOVE for the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:20 am

bball parent wrote:
You are very well spoken,thanks for your reply.i guess if the kids want to dedicate its up to them.You cant make a kid do somthing they dont want to.I know with myself hockey was my dream as a kid.I skated on the old brook and wharever there was a patch of ice.I eventually joined hockey in grade 5 and stuck with it.I was made fun of ,sat on the bench,never once did i want to quit.I loved the game.Practice,practice,determination,then in grade 10 through 12 I played on the allstar team every year.Moral of the storey,I had a love for the game and determined to make myself better.And it is true ,there is so much more out there to turn to than before.In the seventies there was bball or hockey,you made your choice and most stuck with it to the end. I like to see now when I go to oldtimer bball,and see the bald heads big bellies and years of experience on folks,but you also see the LOVE for the game.

I agree entirely, the kids have to have a passion for what they play. We can do what we can to make it enjoyable for them and something they can't live without, but in the end, it's up to them. I know on Grand Manan, the new hockey arena is exciting and different and is the thing to do, that may carry on to be the trend from now on, don't know for sure. I can tell you this, there is a boys varsity team this year, probably will be next year, but after that, there probably won't be for at least a decade after that. With no mini, middle school, or JV team this year, it will be a long time developing the program again, if it ever does come back. The girls program is still fairly strong, with a mini and middle school program still running, but hockey is straining that program as well. It's hard to watch a lttle bit, being a basketball guy, but in the end, as far as I am concerned, it's all about the kids and what is best for them and what keeps them involved. We have well over 100 kids registered in the minor hockey program right now, in a community with only 400+ students from K-12,that's pretty good participation, we have a brand new state of the art arena, lot's of coaches and volunteers to make the programs work. There is ample ice time for all, no early morning practices, the kids are all getting between 4-6 hours of ice time per week , all in the middle of the day and after school. Men's hockey is even thriving, we have a 4 team men's hockey league plus recreational "C" hockey for anyone who wants casual play, there are 6 times per week that I can chose from to go down and play myself. It is exciting for sure, still, Grand Manan as a hockey town? Not sure I am ready for that. Maybe it will be the case, maybe not, stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any good news?   Today at 9:58 pm

Back to top Go down

any good news?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1