HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Catholic Central

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LoopyHoopy

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Hoopies wrote:
Basketballislife161 you seem pretty confident on your information of who this account is run by, to bad you are incorrect.
Hoopies and Basketballislife161 should just get off this forum. This isn't here for quitters to make themselves feel better about themselves. When you quit the league be a man about it, this isn't middle school ball anymore. This is for the legitamate disscussion of teams by educated spectators/players and coaches, you are, and never will be either again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoopyHoopy

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 pm

bballspirit wrote:
Whatever the player situation, I was impressed with CC this weekend as they won the Oleary tourny, beating three of the top 4 team in the edmonton metro league. They work hard and play an exciting style. Too bad the players left a good team and are missing out on some great experiences.
In my opinion the players seem to be able to have better games after the depaarture of Trey, Samson and Nick. The team is actually having fun and its helping them with thier exciting play style. Its fast paced and just what the fans want to see, they are above highschool ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't know any of the specifics about the CCHS case but I do know its a parent/coach situation and I can say that coaching your own kid in high school basketball is a bad idea. Its doesn't matter if he's good or not. Its just hard for a parent/coach to separate the two. They have to make it a completely open competition, right from position play to playing time to number of shots. If a parent/coach's kid plays a lot of minutes, shoots a lot of shots, doesn't pass well and/or plays a position that other guys are vying for he'd better be beating up every single other guy in practice match ups because if he isn't and its even slightly questionable, its probably not an open system where those things are earned by competing against team mates who want the exact same thing. If the kid gets all the praise during games, during practice, in the locker room, in the media or with awards and if the parent/coach attempts to prove he's not playing favorites by being extra tough on his kid but never takes away anything meaningful that his kid should be competing for then its going to be perceived as nepotism. And it works part and parcel with the parent/coach kid's close friends on the team too. The reality is that its almost always nepotism and that kill teams.

Maybe this year's CCHS team is better off without them and it doesn't hurt them until next year but it sounds to me like the only winner here is LCI.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Did Hinman not play against LCI, I see he did not score a point, he seemed to be too good to be totally shut out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hillbilly

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 am

I do not know how anybody could defend the pasquati gong show. Tonight against Raymond
His young son gets kicked out of the game, and his other boy gets tossed from the stands. While Dino throws a tantrum on the bench. I totally understand why players want nothing to do with that. I can't figure out why the league puts up with it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: unexpected   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 am

I'm sure it was the refs fault, dino is on his way to 'coach of the year' again.

what was the final score?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballsohard

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm

well hillbilly if you were at the game and were actually paying attention you would have seen that mcintyre stomped on one of the players legs while he was on the ground. and the rest of the cougar team came in and backed up their teammate. and just guessing here but the reason the CCH coach went off on the refs was because there was no call for the cheapshot by mcintyre. so you should probably actually know whats going on the game before you post something bashing other people. and you're probably someone from raymond and the only reason you're posting about that is because the Comets got pounded easily into submission while having their leading scorer only playing just over 2 quarters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hillbilly

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:27 pm

No actually, I only posted because it makes me sick the way the coach for cch and his kids act and the principle and school board don't do anything about it. Even when 3 players quite you dino lovers blame th kids, that shows your care for the rest of the athletes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballsohard

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:36 pm

2 kids were removed from the team by their parents. the other 2 quit for their own reasons. and if you actually watch the cch team every player that is playing is happy and since all those players quit the CCH team has only lost 1 game, they beat 3 provincially ranked teams, and won 2 tournaments. it really doesn't appear to be the coach's fault when it seems like it was only 2 players that had a problem. so you can take your garbage comments and all your bashing and keep them to yourself. This is a site to talk about teams and good players. not to make personal attacks on players and coaches by hiding behind a keyboard. if you really have nothing better to do than bash people behind a keyboard then it really says alot about who you are as a person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hillbilly

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

What's the excuse for the boy in the stands getting tossed. I'm sure that's everyone else's fault to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoopyHoopy

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm

hillbilly wrote:
What's the excuse for the boy in the stands getting tossed. I'm sure that's everyone else's fault to.
If you actually knew anything about basketball you would have noticed that the refs were being extremely one sided. No calls for CCH just because they were killing Raymond. Connor Macintire had a cheap shot on Blake Furgeson, one of the forwards of CCH, so his team mates defended him. The entire game C. Mac was playing rough like it was lacrosse. All the outrage by the players, coaches and fans was expected with poor sportsmanship and officiating like that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 pm

canuck wrote:
I'm sure it was the refs fault,

Good call Canuck. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hillbilly

PostSubject: dino show continues   Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:04 pm

Ok watched another Dino show last night at the final game of zones. I think if he worried more about coaching the players on the team, rather than complaining about the reffing they may have had a better shot. He gets another T for what purpose, teaching the kids sportsmanship. The stunt at the end of the game with his boy that needed help on the court, but then carried the ball to centre. Was that just trying to steal the thunder from cardston for beating them so easily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:33 pm

The Dino show started on Thursday night after there win over LCI. Nothing better than watching a winning coach walk over to the opposing teams fans and start taunting them after you win. Far and away the most classless thing I have ever seen. I cannot believe the administration of CCHS and the league refuse to do anything about this behavior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hillbilly

PostSubject: the Dino show   Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:42 pm

I left immediately after the LCI/CCH game, but it does not surprise me that Dino could not even win with class. I have yet to see him do anything with class, and you see it reflected in the kids and the program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballsohard

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:09 pm

i didn't know that putting on a grade 12 player who suffered a major injury in a Zone Championship, which that player will never get to experience again for under 10 seconds is such a travesty. HillyBilly you should be ashamed of yourself. to criticize a coach for putting on a graduating player in the last game he'll ever play. Assuming that you think what was done was such a bad thing, you would say that if a coach decided to put your son for the last ten seconds of game, you'd get mad at happened? also i was in attendance at the LCI and CCH game, and after the game the only thing that happened was the student fan base rushed the court to celebrate with the team and coaching staff. no player or coach went over the LCI fans and taunted them. all you people that just go on this forum and bash the CCH team should really find something better to do with your lives. you all seem to have a crazy obsession with the CCH team which has obviously motivated the team considering they finished 2nd in the zone and are ranked 5th in the province going into provinicials. like seriously get over yourselves and stop trying to make yourself feel better about losing by bashing other people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:22 pm

ballsohard wrote:
also i was in attendance at the LCI and CCH game, and after the game the only thing that happened was the student fan base rushed the court to celebrate with the team and coaching staff. no player or coach went over the LCI fans and taunted them. all you people that just go on this forum and bash the CCH team should really find something better to do with your lives. you all seem to have a crazy obsession with the CCH team which has obviously motivated the team considering they finished 2nd in the zone and are ranked 5th in the province going into provinicials. like seriously get over yourselves and stop trying to make yourself feel better about losing by bashing other people.

I too was at the game and witnessed the classless act. I also discussed it with numerous other people who saw it and were disgusted by it. So please don't come on here and say it didn't happen. Just because you didn't see doesn't mean it did not happen.

I have no issues with the CCH team they have been playing some great fun too watch basketball. Its just too bad the coach has to take away from all that they have accomplished.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: respect   Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Ballsohard - I appreciate your need to try and defend what, this season, has been a pretty successful team despite the controversies (coach reputation, players leaving etc).

The problem seems to be coach dino's behaviour, over the years (including this one) he has earned a reputation: abusing his role on the ranking committee, player treatment, the political 'coach of the year' win of recent years, his public lack of sportsmanship. If you have something, other than rhetoric, that disputes these actions - please share.

If you are a player, congratulations on your season so far, and best of luck to you. Don't mistake the comments directed at this coach as derogatory to the players on his team. The team/school name is often used when, really, it should be just his name.

Finally, 'winning equals respect'. This 'team' has earned some of that by finishing 2nd in the south.

The reason it is not more celebrated or 'respected' is because of this coach. Perhaps he wants the 'Bobby Knight' type label - if so, a single season finish of a distant second (lost to Cardston by 20+ points) isn't going to do it. When is the last time CCHS won the south division? Have they ever won a provincial title? If so, was dino involved? If not, perhaps he should adopt the mantra 'put up or shut up' - and incorporate a little more sportsmanship and class into his 'style'. Until then, respect likely won't be given.

By the way, they do NOT rank 5th in the province - the seeding is arbitrary to minimize same zone match-ups in the first round (or two ideally). The final ranking had CCHS listed as HM only. There is a good chance CCHS will win it's first game (against Bert Church) but that isn't a real measure of how you stack up against the top 8 teams in the province. A win against Bishop O'Byrne in the 2nd round will mean something, otherwise the seeding is just another example of how dino's role on the ranking committee artificially benefits his team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Having been an ASAA ranker for years, you are completely right when you mention that there are efforts made to ensure teams do not meet in the early rounds from the same zone. Discussions via conference call will try and predict based on year-end rankings, the top teams that will emerge. As for Dino's "intimidation" tactics, although I have ranked the girls, I find it hard to fathom how he intimidates Posteraro from FX who knows his stuff, or the guy from Calgary (Notre Dame) - this would also include Rick Stanley who ranked when he was at JP. At the end of the day, they all have to agree and this includes Ryan Reed as the Boys Commissioner - who would have the last say or change rankings himself. One ranker cannot put through his own agenda - plain and simple.

Interesting that there were some teams that I watched throughout the year that are not going or were upset - possible injuries, team chemistry etc. I've seen PK play a few times this year and they looked great yet stumbled badly against Harry Ainley - also saw BOB early in the year and they wer quite impressive as well. It would certainly seem to be Ainleys to lose at 4A boys level.

Girls 4A with Western seemingly "trying" when they want to escape with a victory has to be careful against teams like Spruce Grove who only know one effort level - high. I think it Western has the talent but teams like Spruce Grove, Centennial, Raymond have more try... who knows what might happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: Integrity   Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 am

JD - thanks for confirming the ranking procedure. And I agree, I'm not sure dino does 'intimidate' the rankers you mentioned.

However, ranking committee members 'rely' on what is being presented from other zone representatives, as they can't always 'see' teams for themselves. If there was any integrity in this process, we would not be having this discussion. Instead, the perennial presence of a certain ranking committee members' team on this list is highly suspect. Granted, this season, the team proved they deserve to be there, but does that justify their appearing in multiple provincial rankings over the past 5-6 years?

If not, then how do the remaining committee members continue to 'vote' for dino in good conscience year in and year out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoopyHoopy

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:27 pm

hillbilly wrote:
Ok watched another Dino show last night at the final game of zones. I think if he worried more about coaching the players on the team, rather than complaining about the reffing they may have had a better shot. He gets another T for what purpose, teaching the kids sportsmanship. The stunt at the end of the game with his boy that needed help on the court, but then carried the ball to centre. Was that just trying to steal the thunder from cardston for beating them so easily.
Man show some heart. There was no "stunt". Matteo re-injured his knee during warm-ups so like any coach would have done, he let him finish off his gr12 season with the ball in the final seconds of their final game. This is a place to talk about player, not bitch about a coach. If a man tries his hardest to play his final season WITH an injury he deserves to finish the season on the court with the ball. This team has overcome so much, I'm starting to think your just jealous. They have players quit and people constantly harrasing their team. They have gotten so far with what they have, give them a break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoopyHoopy

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:30 pm

For everyone who is complaining about this Dino post LCI win classless act - what are you talking about? After the game he rushed the court and celebrated with the fans and his beloved players. Why are you trying so hard to find a problem with a team that you go on and on about a coach? Some would say he is hard on the kids, but that has mearly made them closer with each other and helped them come out above even with all the drama this season. You can't say there is a good coach of any team that isn't hard. He pushes them to play on a higher standard at a fast paced level. Don't bitch about the coach, talk about stats and the GAME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoopyHoopy

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:33 pm

HenryW wrote:
The Dino show started on Thursday night after there win over LCI. Nothing better than watching a winning coach walk over to the opposing teams fans and start taunting them after you win. Far and away the most classless thing I have ever seen. I cannot believe the administration of CCHS and the league refuse to do anything about this behavior.
Expain this "taunting" to me. Many people in attendance are confused at this imaginary act you conjured up. How did he supposedly "taunt" the other team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm not sure if this is what everyone is talking about, but I was right behind the benches and score table. Following the game, while cch was celebrating, Dino was pointing directly at the LCI student section with his mouth yapping. I was too far away, so I don't know what was being said, but there was definitely something going on there. I kind of assumed he was pointing and yelling at the lci kids that used to go to cch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm

We all know CCH and Dino is a gong show! Let him point; flaunt; showboat; intimidate; and be a classless act. We all know what he is.. a little man with a huge ego and only cares about his CHILDREN and family. I actually think he is a good coach who gets the most out of his players when they are the focus. They are way over-ranked going into provincials and they will exit early as usual. The trash talking and crap that goes on in and around that program will always be there as long as he is there. I wish they would focus on basketball and not the distractions. Everyone knows and agrees except for the 15 kids and their families he dressed for the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Central   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

Catholic Central
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next