HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

VC vs Saints

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shotfake123

PostSubject: VC vs Saints   Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:44 pm

What was the senior boys results?
Score
Players who played well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

VC by 20. 80ish to 60ish. About +5 for VC all first half then they blew out Saints in the 3rd Q. First half was a great game then Saints just fell apart turning the ball over on what seemed like every possession and VC capitalized. A brawl almost broke out in the 4th and one of the VC guys through a punch which somehow hit own man in the face (I assume by mistake!).

Cole and Abu played well for VC as did Sanvido.

Brayden was the only Saint that actually showed up to play.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bulldog10

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:53 pm

[strike
The score posted was VC 87-64 StG. Now StG will have to beat VC(@ VC) by 24 to win the indep berth to Lower Mainlnds(LM) or else same as last yr, I think. Last yr. Saints failed to beat #7, #6 & #5 twice of the LM. Stg loss past the test until the final game vs Kits. This a ricdiculous process the indpen. has to go through, should be like FV where it's one big league with White Rock and Southrige included.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

It wasn't a brawl.... it was some pushing and shoving, with a bit more.... Abu, who did play well, shoved a Saints player then took a swing connecting solidly..... with his own player, Isiah Solomon, who dropped like a stone. I hope Isiah is not hurt badly - he nursed his eye with a bag of ice for the rest of the game. Cole Penman was a cut-above and broke St. George's with a string of threes. VC completely outplayed Saints. I agree Brayden was the only Saint who showed up in this game.

Deklan Chung missed quite a few minutes with cramps and they missed his composure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:14 am

shotfake123 wrote:
What was the senior boys results?
Score
Players who played well

http://www.sportvictoria.com/basketball/2011-12/tourneys/2011-12%20-%20Exhibition.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hoopfan

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 pm

"Revenge is sweetest... signed Oak Bay" ----- & Saints

Sanits beat VC 77 - 63; tie breaker TBA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:12 pm

hoopfan wrote:
"Revenge is sweetest... signed Oak Bay" ----- & Saints

Sanits beat VC 77 - 63; tie breaker TBA.

VERY IMPRESSIVE... wish I could be there to see that 3rd game. It'd be a great basketball game!
Back to top Go down
M-5

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Game was way closer than score indicates. VC led most of the game with Saints never up by more than 2 or 3 pts in the 4th quarter. Saints got some CLUTCH scoring from a bunch of guys that won them the game. The only reason that the score looks lopsided was due to intentional fouling and VC not scoring after the intentional fouls. It was close. Peter was good for VC as was Isaiah. Penman and Abu didn't play as well as last game. Hildebrand was unstoppable for Saints. Probably had 25 pts (estimate).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm

The difference between this game and the previous one is that Abu did not have a solid game the second time around. Other than the big alley-oop, he was quiet the entire night. I wonder Saints fans holding up a poster of him punching Isaiah had anything to do with it! Regardless, coming off a big win against Tamanawis and now VC, I think Saints is starting to peak at the right time. Game On!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 pm

M-5 wrote:
Game was way closer than score indicates. VC led most of the game with Saints never up by more than 2 or 3 pts in the 4th quarter. Saints got some CLUTCH scoring from a bunch of guys that won them the game. The only reason that the score looks lopsided was due to intentional fouling and VC not scoring after the intentional fouls. It was close. Peter was good for VC as was Isaiah. Penman and Abu didn't play as well as last game. Hildebrand was unstoppable for Saints. Probably had 25 pts (estimate).

I wouldn’t say “was way closer”, Saints hit 5 out of 6 intentional foul shots with 26 sec left on the clock, the score was 72 – 62. VC didn’t have much gas left in their tank in the final frame since they played only 6 guys entire game whereas Saints were constantly rotating their guards. There are a lot of depths at VC’s bench but unfortunately it couldn’t be shown.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bird1

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:49 am

Final deciding game should be the best ticket in lower mainland. When and where is this game ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 am

GAME 3

Wednesday, Feb 15, 7:30pm, St. John's School

Sportscanada.tv will also be showing the game.

http://www.sportscanada.tv/index.php/basketball/highschoolbb/bc-high-school-basketball/2011-12-bc-basketball-game-of-the-week

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 am

I was told the game time was 7 p.m. at St. John's.
Has anyone seen that court? How many will it seat? Should be huge demand for this one.
Any word yet on what the future may hold for the loser of the game?
I have read the BC's guidelines for a second place team in a two team league to be given some avenue to potentially get into the BC's and both these teams clearly qualify. The guidelines state that if a reasonable argument can be made that the two teams would be in the top 3 of their zone, the second team should be given a path into the post-season.
With these two being rated #3 and #4 provincially, with the next highest Lower Mainland team being #8(who recently lost to Saints) the argument is an easy one to make. To reasonable people, anyway!
We have to remember, however, the poisoned atmosphere of the Lower Mainland zone and cannot be confident that fairness or the guidelines will have anything to do with how their executive votes. It is stacked with people who don't like the independent schools and their past history doesn't make one confident.
Let's hope the adults remember that the kids are more important than the politics this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
r-macbball

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:18 pm

It is unfortunate that only one of Saints or Irish will advance but that's how it is, everything is based on representation per region/zones. Both those schools know what the rules are, they will probably appeal for an avenue to get into the tournament...perhaps a format similar to last season where Independent 2 would have to play LM 8,7,6 and twice to beat 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:40 pm

r-macbball wrote:
It is unfortunate that only one of Saints or Irish will advance but that's how it is, everything is based on representation per region/zones. Both those schools know what the rules are, they will probably appeal for an avenue to get into the tournament...perhaps a format similar to last season where Independent 2 would have to play LM 8,7,6 and twice to beat 5.

Yes, both teams I am sure are aware, but I was just quoting the guidelines set out by the BC body concerning a two team league that has two top-rated teams.
I am just wondering the state of that appeal...from the guidelines it looks like a slamdunk that the second team will get some avenue in..perhaps like last year...maybe a little fairer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 am

VC 57 St Georges 49
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:42 am

A fabulous high school basketball game.
Both teams played defence at the highest level imaginable.
They may be the two best teams in the province right now(and they are certainly at least the class of the Lower mainland), and it will be a tragedy if the Saints don't get in because of politics. Any judgment based upon their season or the quality of their play would easily have them in.
Of course we know that neither of these factors will count at all. Politics is the name of the game.
Apparently the LM Executive have stated that they do not believe the Saints can be "reasonably" considered amongst the top three teams in the LM zone, thus have rejected the request for a chance at a path to the BC's. Of course they believe they are in the top three in the zone...no one rational can state otherwise unless blinded by bias and having a political reason for taking this stance. The guideline is clear for all to see. All that had to be shown was that Saints could "reasonably" be argued to be in the top three in the Lower Mainland(reasonable being the key word, as most adults want to see any kid with a realistic chance have a chance at a title). To say "we don't think they are", shows the arrogance of the LM group...basically saying that they couldn't care less what the guidelines or records are, they are just going to say no whatever the situation. Remember that the next highest rated team in the LM is #8..who Saints beat in the past few weeks. So Saints aren't "reasonably" in the top 3???? Give us all a break.
So Saints didn't beat Kits? VC didn't beat the next highest ranked LM school twice? They're #3 and #4 in the Province, not just the LM!!
I hope the executive gets raked over the coals over this.
Their fallback rationale is always that the decision was reached "democratically". Right. So as long as a majority vote in favour we can take away anyone's rights? We can ignore our own guidelines? Fairness is not an issue?
Sad sad sad...let's hope fairness prevails...but don't bet on it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 am

Pooch wrote:
A fabulous high school basketball game.
Both teams played defence at the highest level imaginable.
They may be the two best teams in the province right now(and they are certainly at least the class of the Lower mainland), and it will be a tragedy if the Saints don't get in because of politics. Any judgment based upon their season or the quality of their play would easily have them in.
Of course we know that neither of these factors will count at all. Politics is the name of the game.
Apparently the LM Executive have stated that they do not believe the Saints can be "reasonably" considered amongst the top three teams in the LM zone, thus have rejected the request for a chance at a path to the BC's. Of course they believe they are in the top three in the zone...no one rational can state otherwise unless blinded by bias and having a political reason for taking this stance. The guideline is clear for all to see. All that had to be shown was that Saints could "reasonably" be argued to be in the top three in the Lower Mainland(reasonable being the key word, as most adults want to see any kid with a realistic chance have a chance at a title). To say "we don't think they are", shows the arrogance of the LM group...basically saying that they couldn't care less what the guidelines or records are, they are just going to say no whatever the situation. Remember that the next highest rated team in the LM is #8..who Saints beat in the past few weeks. So Saints aren't "reasonably" in the top 3???? Give us all a break.
So Saints didn't beat Kits? VC didn't beat the next highest ranked LM school twice? They're #3 and #4 in the Province, not just the LM!!
I hope the executive gets raked over the coals over this.
Their fallback rationale is always that the decision was reached "democratically". Right. So as long as a majority vote in favour we can take away anyone's rights? We can ignore our own guidelines? Fairness is not an issue?
Sad sad sad...let's hope fairness prevails...but don't bet on it.

I think this one may have run it's course last year.
Back to top Go down
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Seems to me they are new teams and a new decision, even if it is as sad as the one last year.
This year the guidelines are absolutely clear and were ignored.
You might not think it is old news if your kids were involved and being treated in this manner.
Anyway...just heard that the Board of Governors of the BC Tournament have overturned the decision and Saints will get a shot. Thank heaven there are some reasonable people involved at the highest level here.
The route Saints will get will probably be as torturous and punitive as last year, but this year they will make it. They are very good.
I am a big fan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:49 pm

I dont understand.......why doesnt Van College and St Georges just play in the Lower Mainland league instead of playing in a seperate division. I use WRCA as a comparison as they play in the Fraser valley ...Just doesnt make any sense. Im curious on whose decision it is to seperate

Pooch wrote:
r-macbball wrote:

Yes, both teams I am sure are aware, but I was just quoting the guidelines set out by the BC body concerning a two team league that has two top-rated teams.
I am just wondering the state of that appeal...from the guidelines it looks like a slamdunk that the second team will get some avenue in..perhaps like last year...maybe a little fairer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:55 pm

the independent schools applied to get into the vancouver schools league and were shut down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 pm

WRCA is allowed in the FV league, but St. G's and VC can't be in the LM. That is very confusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm

M-5 wrote:
the independent schools applied to get into the vancouver schools league and were shut down.

I guess it is because they have no catchment boundary, school population etc etc. Wrca has a limitation on their school population. I think they have around 350 from KG to grade 12 as against 1150 of Saints and 1069 of VC.

Edit: Wrca is able to get away with the catchment restriction whereas VC and saints couldn't. However, I foresee wrca in 5 yrs going down to AA or A from their current AAA.
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:03 pm

edward wrote:
M-5 wrote:

I guess it is because they have no catchment boundary, school population etc etc. Wrca has a limitation on their school population. I think they have around 350 from KG to grade 12 as against 1150 of Saints and 1069 of VC.

Edit: Wrca is able to get away with the catchment restriction whereas VC and saints couldn't. However, I foresee wrca in 5 yrs going down to AA or A from their current AAA.

Public high school boundaries in BC are open, and students can attend any school in the province free of charge, if there is space.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Interesting article in The Province. To quote "Eberhardt said, “Some of the best minds we have in basketball haven’t been able to solve it. The (BCHSBBA) struck a seperate committee last spring, and their mandate was to come back with recommendations for the Lower Mainland zone issues surround the Independent League. Their final recommendation was that they didn’t know what to do.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02/16/saints-get-new-marching-orders-but-hard-work-lies-ahead-for-mainland-executive-brass/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VC vs Saints   Today at 10:59 pm

Back to top Go down

VC vs Saints
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next