HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Good Effort and Good Support

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:07 am

The NB High School Provincial are underway with great teams competing for Boys and Girls AA & AAA championships. I attended 5 games this past weekend and was very impressed with the officiating on the floor; some fans however were not. I am always amazed at how many individuals comment that the Refs must be accepting bribes from the team in the lead. Lots of these same fans love to make calls sitting 100-200 feet from the action. Most of them don't even know what a moving screen or traveling violation looks like up close let alone from that far away. I don't hear these comments from young people or students but mostly from parents and other adults. Time to do a reality check; cheer for the great effort, the great play, the great shot; on both ends of the floor. Enjoy the game for what it is, be an example to those around you, especially our youth. These kids work hard, the coaches work hard, the organizers work hard, the Refs work hard; lets encourage them and give them all credit. This is a great opportunity to network with other people from around the province, to showcase our communities and to have a great deal of fun; win or loose.
Back to top Go down
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 am

I would second those thoughts. As a teacher I'm often told that parents are sending me the best kids they have, as a coach once the two officials are at the site I'm sure they are doing the best job they can.

I can understand parents frustration: you're invested in your child's success, your child's safety and your child's feelings as much, if not more, than the level of play or game itself. I can also understand with a little schools coming from small areas that often see the same pool of officials on a regular basis and come to expect the game to look/feel the same way it does when "their" refs call it. IE if you see refs that are tight (30-40 fouls a night) on a lot of stuff all the time, then going to into a playoff game where other officials put the whistle away and try to let the kids decide it I can see how that can be frustrating too. So looking through those glasses I understand why people don't always see eye to eye. I just don't see why people need to focus on the things that their kids can't control.

I haven't been anywhere in this province where I feel like the officials showed favoritism, cheated or acted outside of their perview. I'm sure their must be the occasional bad apple out there some where but that is life. Can everything be improved sure, but at this point I think the officials in this province are doing the best job they can everynight. SO lets take the focus off the things our kids/parents can't control and keep it on the things they can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlindAsABat

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Going to games and having the crowds large and vocal helps to make a great environment for the players, fans and the overall game. This year I have been at games where the gym has been packed full and the crowd noise made it next to impossible to hear the horn, the whistle or anything except the roar. That is one of the great things that makes the game special. I am sure the players love playing in front of loud crowds as it gives both teams a boost. Playing in a near empty gym and the game feels lacking in some emotion that only a crowd can give it. It is only natural for the fans to react when a call goes against their team and in general those reactions are out of pride for their team, not aimed at the ref. Unfortunately a few bad apples can spoil the experience for some and that is unfortunate. Referees go into a game knowing there is a good chance someone will be "getting on their case" and that comes with the territory. A charge/ block call will usually cause a reaction from the teams' fans with the foul. It is only when someone crosses the line and makes a personal attack on a ref that it spoils the spirit of the game. All any of us can do is respect the players, coaches, fans, officials and the game and hope the bad apples can realize they are not doing anyone a fovour with their comments. As scorekeep said, cheer the good plays and enjoy the game. Please come out and support your teams and be an good example for all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:26 pm

I totally agree, the more noise the better. Yes there is emotion when a call goes against the team being cheered for, of couse you want your team to win and do well. Coach DJR said it well, lets concentrate on the things we have control over, our behavior and our conduct. Lets not loose control of that.
Back to top Go down
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm an official and I am at times disappointed by the behaviour of fans although I never take it personally. On the other hand, we also have some great people in the game especially players and coaches.

This past weekend, I worked two games in Petitcodiac and all four teams were extremely well behaved and the fans were good too. The level of play was strong, the effort was first rate and all the teams displayed good sportsmanship including two teams who were not able to complete a game up north. Petitcodiac lost a four point hard fought emotional game to Belleisle. At the end of the game, a Petitcodiac player went out of his way to shake our hands and tell us "good game". I sometimes forget the score of a game but I never forget classy people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the sub

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 pm

scorekeep if u are talking about the Campo DP game u can not tell me it was a fair game THE REF WHERE ALL FOR DP so if you where there you are BLIND Campo is the better TEAM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm

the sub wrote:
scorekeep if u are talking about the Campo DP game u can not tell me it was a fair game THE REF WHERE ALL FOR DP so if you where there you are BLIND Campo is the better TEAM

Gotta love a sore loser, I bet the reffing was bad at the aitken centre last year as well. Or is there another excuse for that lose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Webeballin

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 pm

"Gotta love a sore loser, I bet the reffing was bad at the aitken centre last year as well. Or is there another excuse for that lose."

Now here is the short version of what I want to say... haha thankyou for bringing up the AC! I was there, the refs were not awful, they let the kids play. sub, you will say #4 from DP was dirty, and just an awful human being, blah,blah,blah. But bud, your kid wasn't much better. Beney throwing elbows or turning over the ball, and then complaining to officials. Or the big ginger kid's moving elbow screen.. It's basketball, get good, or get out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlindAsABat

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Respect is a 2 way street and everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be [jk!].
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: in all fairness   Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 am

Yeah this sore loser thing isn't looking so good on us right now. So I'm going to go a different direction. I was not at the game but was talking to coach Tyler just after the game and he commented a few times on how dirty the game was. He wasn't complaining as much as he was explaining the game. So Devon Park was playing dirty.... In my opinion that gives you full right to play dirty back. the only way this becomes the refs problem is if the game gets out of control or he is calling one side for their dirty play and not the other. If Devon Park was giving it to Campobello then Campobello should have given it right back.
I have a hard time believing that Devon Park wasn't the better team in this game. I was impressed in the way Campobello seemed to come together after a rough start but I think Devon Park has shown a few times this season that they are the team to beat. I don't see the reason for people being on Beney's back all year though. I don't think he is on here talking about himself, but everyone else seemed to like to. He was pretty well behaved in any game I saw them play this year. Maybe the DP game was an exception but players always get a little more emotional when their season is ending.
It looks like a pretty interesting Final 8 teams in AA and there should be a few good game this weekend. Good lucks teams!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 pm

It's interesting that the topic gets around to dirty play in a thread that started about bad fans. I agree that fans have their place. They can become too hard on refs. But they are often right to object. When refs do not or cannot recognize dirty play. You can complain that a fan doesn't know enough about the sport to make reasonable complaint but many do have lots of experience playing and even coaching the game. Sometimes that is all that is needed to see players intentionally trying to hurt other players. The refs should be able to see that stuff but the game is fast and they may miss it. That's when a fan will make a comment that a ref should take account of. Likely when that type of play happens the coach is probably condoning it, teaching it, or ignoring it to let the advantage stand in their favour. Refs are the first line of safety for players. Concussions and sprains happen plenty as it is. So when a line is crossed they need to see it quickly. Coaches also have a responsibility to police their players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallNow

PostSubject: Refs are the first line of safety for players.   Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Does this go when the ref is the one causing the roughness... Ex. Grabbing a player by his jersey and pushing him back on the bench.... Hmmmm... Something seems wrong here...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:29 pm

It's actually disappointing to hear people complain this much about officials on this site. I'm an official in this province and I coach, so I have a little bit of a different perspective than most. I sat and watched a fair amount of games over the past weekend, listening to what the "intelligent" fans were yelling and complaining about. I couldn't believe some of it. I found myself wondering if we were watching the same game.

Knowing most of the officials in the province, I can easily say that 95% of them don't give a shit who wins the game. Can we say that about the "educated" fan who are there cheering for a specific team? Do they really watch the game objectively?

I've heard a fair amount about the DP Campo game...I heard that it was "rough". Rough is a far cry from being "dirty"...also, saying that Campo is the better team is a tough sell, because if memory serves me right DP beat them by about 50 early on in the year.

I'm a coach and I give officials a hard time just like the next every now and then, but wouldn't ever put a win/lose on them. A good quote I tell my team all the time:

"Excuses are for losers...and I don't want either of them"

when was the last time you heard a "winner" make an excuse?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Good post. I do not make excuses for performance and I don't expect a ref to bail out a kid that goes weak to the goal. The only justification to complain is when intentional harm happens or players lose control emotionally. We've all seen a player get the ball stolen and then go hammer someone to get even. Any fan can see that happen and refs need to call those plays. A coach should work the ref in that situation too. Probably coaches over do it with refs most games too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I was in Petti this past weekend and I was honoured to watch and coach the games that took place. It was a very competitive but respectful atmosphere. All players played their heart out and the sportsmanship was outstanding.

Thank you to everyone involved!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Effort and Good Support   Today at 4:43 pm

Back to top Go down

Good Effort and Good Support
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1