HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

top 20 players in alberta?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cow-town

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:19 pm

I don't have as much experience with Basketball Alberta as I do the club programs so I can't give as much of an opinion. It's not a secret that BA is very political or that joining BA requires a lot of travel time across the province. I think playing in a national tournament, only BA can provide this, is a special experience for kids that wouldn't be forgotten by the kid. I also know that BA has had kids attend their program and then go onto play in the NCAA. We only have to look to this current year to get an example of this; Izzadora from Western Canada has a scholarship to a div 1 Arizona college.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball mom

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

While we all may not agree on the best club programs out there, that is a choice each player makes with their parents to suit them. The point I was trying to make in my earlier response is I believe there are benefits to be had for players from playing in both club programs and the provincial team program, and we should be encouraging and enabling the best players in the province to do both.

Yes, CYDC has some of the best players in the province, and they would be great additions to the provincial team program. And yes there are great players from the south, east, and even northern part of the province that should be getting the same opportunities as players from Calgary and Edmonton from BA. It would be nice if there was some cooperation between the clubs and BA so that more players could participate. It might mean becoming active members in BA so you have a voice in how things are run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:51 pm

The top 5 U17 players from different cities (so I'm not regionally biased) and not including any CYDC players (so I'm not club biased).

Jasdeep Gill - Chestermere
Emmett Cook - Calgary
Chase Neilsen - Cochrane
Kevin Ndahiro - Edmonton
Brandon Karl - Lethbridge

Now everyone is happy except for everyone I left out.
Back to top Go down
TLU

PostSubject: Others   Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:51 am

Lyndon Annetts
Kyle Peterson
Tyler Wise
Denzil James

Not on the list? Interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Dunk

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:48 am

Cow-town let's be real here; the only full time coaches are from colleges and universities. The majority of club coaches in Cagary work full time jobs; it has always been like this. This is Calgary and not the states or a high level AAU organization. The majority of club coaches that coach here in Calgary coach for the love of the game and they want to help some kid reach his dream. The money they make hardly cover the high cost of gas my friend to get to gym to gym. Do you even realize the high cost to rent a gym on the weekend; we are looking at $90.00-$100.00 plus per hour. So how in the world are these guys that work a full time job stealing money from the players and parents. Give these guys some props for even be willing to help the kids; let's not bash them for trying to help.They give up their own vacation time to support the players dream and they get dogged out for trying to help the community. On the road the coaches are with the kids 24-7 taking them from gym to gym watching other teams play when the parents are at some nice spot having a nice glass of wine. People say the club coaches are stealing money when they are trying to help a kid reach a dream; this drives me crazy when I hear this. Let's get this crap right; it's not alway about the root of evil; the mighty $. These players reach the next level because of a caring person that came to a cold azz gym at 8:00 or 9:00 am on a Satruday or Sunday morning to try to help out. Most people won't get off their rear end to do this; they either drop the kid off or simply say they don't have the time!!! Most of the time they don't even watch the practice. Let's take the time to say thanks to the peope that is willing to help make their community a better and safe place for our kids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 am

TLU wrote:
Lyndon Annetts
Kyle Peterson
Tyler Wise
Denzil James

Not on the list? Interesting.

A comment on a list that wasn't all about Edmonton or Seniors and you've managed to make it about both. There should be a prerequisite on this forum that in order to post you have to be able to read.

A list that includes all of the province and isn't about 1 school or 1 city holds a lot more validity than a top player list that only includes Calgary players or a list that only includes Edmonton players. The asaa provincial top 10 has teams outside of Calgary and Edmonton and two of the last three 4A champions aren't from those 2 cities so why should anyone think all the best players are from there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathstar11

PostSubject: gym time costs   Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

city of calgary weekend rate for a high school gym plus full access to cafeteria area is $72.70, so i would imagine gym only would be a bit less. weeknight rate is $25.00 per hour. Go out to Airdrie or Cochrane and fees are even less.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:03 pm

People will post about the area and players they know. I rarely see the south teams and may only see a player play once in a tournament. They may have an off game or a great one, we don't see them enough to make a fair assessment. However, a player from our area we may see play several times- in league, tourny, or spring league. So we can better assess their abilities. You have complained that no south players were mentioned but offered no names to be discussed. How are we to know if we are from Edmonton??????
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:04 pm

bballspirit

Exactly.

localhoopfan wrote:
To help everyone out, maybe add a little info to your list like North/Edm/Calg/South, Boys/Girls, Grade 10, then 11, then 12 and maybe what school they play for so those outside their area might get a chance to see someone at a tournament and we can follow these terrific young athletes as they make their way through this and future high school seasons.

We all want to know who to watch for at the next tournament that has teams from outside your own league. Just say where you're coming from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cow-town

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Dr. Dunk, I have no problem with these club coaches making money off of people, but I think it's very fair for the parents to understand what they are paying for. They are paying for their kids to improve their basketball skills from April until September through club basketball teams. These club coaches SELL that by joining into their particular program they are also being connected to the NCAA world that wouldn't other wise be available. That is an outright lie! They simply improve their skills by playing more basketball and also get the team experience that you get by playing organized sports.
You can play the Wo Is Me card all you want about the selfless service that you guys do by coaching basketball but that is also not true. Several, around 5, club coaches are very well compensated for coaching girls and boys basketball. The effort that goes into recruiting kids into their club is enough proof for anybody that a decent profit can be made by growing their basketball brand. Furthermore, the dirty laundry list grows every year about some of the garbage that is going on behind the financial scenes of club basketball. Just like any other business in this city Calgary basketball is exactly that; not some FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME I go out and donate my time. The high school coaches may do it for the love of the game but not the club systems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TLU

PostSubject: 12321   Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Can't read? That's hilarious. All I stated was I was surprised the list given - which only had 5 players did not list certain players from Edmonton. It was a response to the previous post. In addition, the original request was for the top 20 players in Alberta. I can't comment because I have not seen a lot of the players play. There are some great players in Southern Alberta such as Brad Baker and the Gibb kid from LCI.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 am

TLU - My apologies. Too harsh and uncalled for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behindthearc

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 am

I believe there was a talent I'd camp put on by basketball Canada in January at the Seville (aka GO centre) in Edmonton. I was told they invited the top 50 Alberta players and has some national team coaches present. That list might be the most comprehensive player rating without the regional bias. Btw I couldnt find it on the Canada basketball site. Did anyone see the camp? Can you comment on the attendees?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TLU

PostSubject: 12321   Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm

No problems 12321. You show class and decorum.
TLU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Having watched a fair bit of ball in Calgary over the past while (recent JV and Varsity tournaments at Bishop O'Byrne, Varsity at Churchill) as well as a number of league games I'll chime in on who I think (from who I've seen!) are at the top of each grade in Calgary, in no particular order. Apologies if I've erred on spelling or grades!:

Grade 10
Adonis Monfort-Palomino, SWC Varsity
Cameron Driscoll, St Mary's JV
Matthew Ellis, Ernest Manning Varsity
Emer Mangawang, Bishop O'Byrne JV
Mathieu Kamba, Bishop McNally JV

Grade 11
Emmett Cook, SWC
Scott Lamb, SWC
David Kapinga (not playing HS in Calgary)

Grade 12
Matt Mattear, O'Byrne
Derek Kroetsch, O'Byrne
Dallas Karch, Wisewood
LJ Hegwood, Grandin
Jasdeep Gill, Chestermere

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 pm

For Calgary I would add Tony Wolter, Tethloach Thokbum, Trent Joesph, Wiande Kher to the grade 11 list and certainly DJ Morrison and Deiter Posein to the grade 12 list.
Back to top Go down
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am

CYDC, where do these guys play? I know Dieter and Trent are at Grandin and DJ at McNally (he was injured for the O'Byrne tourney so didn't see him play) but don't know the others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 am

Prep at East Ridge KY and Western.

Tony was at McNally while David was at St Mary's but I'm not sure if we'll see either of them playing Calgary HS ball again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: top 20 players in alberta?   Today at 1:18 pm

Back to top Go down

top 20 players in alberta?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2