HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 pm

The 'expected' berth allocation

http://sportvictoria.com/basketball/BCBerthing/index.htm


Last edited by Sportvictoria on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
And 1



Posts : 161
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 pm

I see that the Fraser Valley lost a berth and the Island recieved another. Is there ever any thought to having a challenge game for that spot. It seems to me once you get by Oak bay and Mt Doug there is quite a drop off and the Valley is so very competitive.Just a thought

Sportvictoria wrote:
The 'expected' berth allocation for the respective BCs can be seen online at www.sportvictoria.com

Keep in mind - this is only speculative at this time. The berth allocation meeting will not happen until early February.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: x   Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 am

x


Last edited by Sportvictoria on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
karnsharda12



Posts : 130
Join date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 am

I did receive an email today saying not all the teams had contacted in yet from the valley so im not sure those are the right numbers. If valley loses a berth would be a shame since 6 teams are ranked and the valley is the deepest and most populated area in the province
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts



Posts : 72
Join date : 2010-03-13

PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:52 pm

And 1 wrote:
I see that the Fraser Valley lost a berth and the Island recieved another. Is there ever any thought to having a challenge game for that spot. It seems to me once you get by Oak bay and Mt Doug there is quite a drop off and the Valley is so very competitive.Just a thought

Sportvictoria wrote:
The 'expected' berth allocation for the respective BCs can be seen online at www.sportvictoria.com

Keep in mind - this is only speculative at this time. The berth allocation meeting will not happen until early February.


Lyle,

as far as I can see the number of teams in the valley and on the island has not changed from last year. Valley - 44 teams, Island - 14 teams. The lower mainland seems to be up 1 team from last year 28 to 29. Not sure why the berthing would change based on these numbers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 pm

stocktonsshorts wrote:
And 1 wrote:
I see that the Fraser Valley lost a berth and the Island recieved another. Is there ever any thought to having a challenge game for that spot. It seems to me once you get by Oak bay and Mt Doug there is quite a drop off and the Valley is so very competitive.Just a thought

Sportvictoria wrote:
The 'expected' berth allocation for the respective BCs can be seen online at www.sportvictoria.com

Keep in mind - this is only speculative at this time. The berth allocation meeting will not happen until early February.


Lyle,

as far as I can see the number of teams in the valley and on the island has not changed from last year. Valley - 44 teams, Island - 14 teams. The lower mainland seems to be up 1 team from last year 28 to 29. Not sure why the berthing would change based on these numbers.

I guess you're right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Hoopstar



Posts : 37
Join date : 2012-01-27

PostSubject: Should be at large berths for provincials   Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:46 pm


The Okanagan boys AAA has one berth for 7 teams. The Okanagan has some pretty good teams this year but chances of making provincials are slim as Kelowna is dominating everyone this year. MT Boucherie is good and came closer to beating Kelowna than most top 10 teams. South Kam is also very good but doesn't have a chance.
I understand the rationale for the berths but I don't understand why there can't be crossover challenge games to ensure the teams that deserve the opportunity get to go.

I know this must be the case in every league. Can someone tell me why we can't have playoff games to detemine berths for some teams ex: FV 8th seed vs. Okanagan 2nd seed or Van Is 3rd seed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Okbball wrote:

The Okanagan boys AAA has one berth for 7 teams. The Okanagan has some pretty good teams this year but chances of making provincials are slim as Kelowna is dominating everyone this year. MT Boucherie is good and came closer to beating Kelowna than most top 10 teams. South Kam is also very good but doesn't have a chance.
I understand the rationale for the berths but I don't understand why there can't be crossover challenge games to ensure the teams that deserve the opportunity get to go.

I know this must be the case in every league. Can someone tell me why we can't have playoff games to detemine berths for some teams ex: FV 8th seed vs. Okanagan 2nd seed or Van Is 3rd seed?


When the AAA BCs used to be 16 teams they had 1/2 and 1/4 berths with lots of challenge games. When the tournament switched to 20 teams they got rid of the "challenge" berths.

Old system saw the format something like the following:
VI 2 1/4
LV 4 1/4
FV 6 1/4
HS 1 1/4
NW 1/2
NC 1/2
OK 1/2
KOOT 1/2

The four coastal 1/4 berths woudl come together for a 4-team format with Monday winners playing on the Tuesday and the winner going to the BC with the 1 berth.

Getting rid of the 1/2 berths was to help reduce the costs for interior teams that were travelling 9-10 hours to get to a single game. When a NW team like Prince Rupert had to travel to Prince George (NC) for a single game it was a 720 K trip, one way, that took 9-12 hours depending on road conditions.

I few years back when Chris Kennedy was the prez of BC Boys' Basketball, I proposed a 24-team format that kept the same 20-team berthing formula and added 4 'at large' berths that would be decided on the Sunday following regional playoffs (so if a top team gets knocked out due to bad luck or tough zones, they might receive an 'at large' berth). This way the best teams in BC make the BCs. The format would be similar to Selection Sunday for the NCAA tournament.

Well... Chris did not even let it come up for discussion at the AGM.

So much for new ideas.


Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
stocktonsshorts



Posts : 72
Join date : 2010-03-13

PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I have always liked the idea of expanding the tournament to 24 teams and I think more teams creates more excitement and more atmosphere. You could have 16 teams play on day 1 with the winning 8 joining the top 8 seeds for the round of 16, meanwhile the losing 8 would then form a consolation 8 team draw. With the facility at the LEC, gym time is not an issue and the consolation tourney games could all be played on the second court (TWU's homecourt) at the site. Fans could choose which games to watch and all teams would be guaranteed at least 1 game in the arena. You could use "at large" berths for the final berths which would allow smaller zones like Howe Sound or Okanagan to send their 2nd team in a strong year. Vancouver island and Fraser Valley would not have to flip flop berths and the 2nd independant team might even get an invite Sad March Madness baby... lets get into it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:33 pm

stocktonsshorts wrote:
I have always liked the idea of expanding the tournament to 24 teams and I think more teams creates more excitement and more atmosphere. You could have 16 teams play on day 1 with the winning 8 joining the top 8 seeds for the round of 16, meanwhile the losing 8 would then form a consolation 8 team draw. With the facility at the LEC, gym time is not an issue and the consolation tourney games could all be played on the second court (TWU's homecourt) at the site. Fans could choose which games to watch and all teams would be guaranteed at least 1 game in the arena. You could use "at large" berths for the final berths which would allow smaller zones like Howe Sound or Okanagan to send their 2nd team in a strong year. Vancouver island and Fraser Valley would not have to flip flop berths and the 2nd independant team might even get an invite Sad March Madness baby... lets get into it!!


That's pretty much the formula that I has presented. It was fair for everyone - the best were there as well as the appropriate provincial representation.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs   Today at 5:48 am

Back to top Go down
 
'Expected' berth allocation for the BCs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» New 6th edition wound allocation from beasts of war....
» Wound allocation on multiple wound models
» Yay GK are back! 1750 Termie List
» 1850 Pure Pally
» Alternate DraigoWing 1500

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: British Columbia :: BC Seniors-
Jump to: