HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Implement a concussion policy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Implement a concussion policy   Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

I was wondering if there is any talk around the NBIAA about implementing a concussion policy province wide for all sports. I realise that the odds of getting a concussion in basketball are not as great as say hockey or football, but the risk is always there. I am curious what other people's opinion on this is. Maybe it should be left up to individual schools to create their own policy. I know many coaches do not have the knowledge about concussions to make the decision to tell a player to sit out or send them to the doctor, but if coaches were educated by ADs then this would make a big difference. Many high school athletes end their careers at the high school level and it would be a shame for anyone to ruin their lives because they were not educated. Educating players needs to be part of the process too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Implement a concussion policy   Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:29 am

I see lots of views and no replies! I would like to hear some opinons on this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Implement a concussion policy   Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 pm

There is a concussion policy for high school sports and all school sports. Every school in NB has a manual called "Safety Guidelines for Interschool Sports " It was produced by the Dept of Education in 2002 , I believe .
The guidelines for concussions constitute 1 or two paragraphs in the manual. It provided the MINIMUM acceptable safety standards for interschool sports. ie .. Do all High School coaches of high risk sports ( football , gymnastics...etc ) know they are required to keep detailed practice plans showing what skills they taught in each practice. Also they must have recorded attendance for their practices. Thus if someone gets seriously hurt attempting a skill in their sport , they need to be able to show that they taught the skill and that the player involved was in attendance for the lesson.
In 2010 a provincial committee was struck to update the 2002 guidelines to match the Ontario guidelines which had also been recently updated.
Before that process was complete , the Dept of Ed representative that was leading the committee moved to a different portfolio and the process stopped. I am not sure what happened with it since then.
I can tell you that in the new updated manual the policies governing concussions ( head injuries ) now cover 6 pages of the document .
The document old or updated version is available at every school should anyone need to know what the guidelines are. It is the responsibility of the school principals to make sure all coaches of their school teams are aware of the guidelines and what they entail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Implement a concussion policy   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Implement a concussion policy   Today at 5:15 am

Back to top Go down

Implement a concussion policy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top